PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports More NBA conversation: Gilbert Arenas

Direckshun
07-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Arenas is out and about as a free agent and apparently the Wizards and the Warriors are both trying to lock him up with maximum contracts.

My question is whether there are even 10 players in the NBA worth maximum contracts that cost over $100 million and eat up practically all of the salary space on the team. One of the reasons the Timberwolves struggled forever with Garnett was the fact that he ate up most of the team's salary cap.

Is Gilbert Arenas really a max contract type of guy? I don't think so. I think he's got a bit of an attitude problem, he's an injury liability at this point, and his defense isn't that great. He's basically a shooter/scorer, and I don't think you max up a pure shooter/scorer unless they're a Reggie Miller, hall-of-fame bound, team leader and I'm not sure Arenas is.

I don't know. Anybody feel like Arenas is worth a max deal?

Mr. Arrowhead
07-02-2008, 07:21 AM
i think Arenas is overrated

Mecca
07-02-2008, 08:07 AM
If they as a franchise can afford it sure, they just lost Baron Davis so they have to do something.

Minnesota was hurt by poor management and poor drafting far more than they were hurt by Garnetts contract.

CoMoChief
07-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Gilbert Arenas is a ball hog and really is the most overrated player in the NBA not named Vince Carter.

noa
07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
I saw Arenas play twice live. One time, I got tickets specifically for that game because he promised to score 50 points. Both times, he shot a terrible percentage and finished with under 15 points.

He's a great player, and he can make ridiculous shots, but I just don't think he's consistent enough to justify a max contract, especially with injury issues.

And I'll never forget those missed free throws in the playoffs that got his team knocked out after LeBron got into his head.

HypnotizedMonkey
07-02-2008, 08:46 AM
HIBACHI!

Direckshun
07-02-2008, 08:55 AM
Honestly, who's worth a max deal?

Garnett
LeBron
Kobe
Duncan

Maybe Chris Paul.

Arenas, though? Really?

DaKCMan AP
07-02-2008, 09:15 AM

Garnett
LeBron
Kobe
Duncan

Maybe Chris Paul.

Arenas, though? Really?

If he's healthy I'd give DWade a max deal.

CoMoChief
07-02-2008, 09:57 AM
If he's healthy I'd give DWade a max deal.

And Steve Nash

Basileus777
07-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Ra$hard Lewis

Basileus777
07-02-2008, 10:18 AM
Gilbert Arenas is a ball hog and really is the most overrated player in the NBA not named Vince Carter.

Vince Carter overrated? Not in 2008. If anything he's become a bit underrated.

HolmeZz
07-02-2008, 10:29 AM
I love Arenas, but I thought the Wiz were better when he was out last year.

Pitt Gorilla
07-02-2008, 10:38 AM
NBA contracts make no sense. Teams jump at the chance to lock guys into max contracts, then they want to dump them 2 years later. It gets really comical when "expiring contracts" on overpaid players are desirable.

DaKCMan AP
07-02-2008, 11:28 AM
NBA contracts make no sense. Teams jump at the chance to lock guys into max contracts, then they want to dump them 2 years later. It gets really comical when "expiring contracts" on overpaid players are desirable.

At least they don't sign unproven rookies to $50,000,000+ contracts.

rtmike
07-02-2008, 11:47 AM
"Jamison's signing satisfies one condition in the talks with Arenas, who had said he would not return unless the team also kept his longtime teammate."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3469713

Pitt Gorilla
07-02-2008, 12:58 PM
At least they don't sign unproven rookies to $50,000,000+ contracts.That's a great point. The NFL needs a rookie cap.

BIG_DADDY
07-02-2008, 01:01 PM
That's a great point. The NFL needs a rookie cap.

Amen brother.

vailpass
07-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Garnett
LeBron
Kobe
Duncan

Maybe Chris Paul.

Arenas, though? Really?

MAYBE Chris Paul? CP has more years left as a top performer than the 3 you listed put together (exclude Lebron).

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Gilbert is a numbers guy who will never help a team win a championship...

Sure he can average a ton of points...but he takes ridiculous shots and doesn't make his teammates better...

Washington was better last year without him than they were with him...that's telling for a player. If he washed out of the league or found the end of the bench for a team in 3 years (making huge money of course) I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

The Blazers paid Steve Francis $30 million dollars before the start of the season just to not even show up because they didn't want anything to do with him...they just wanted to get rid of Zach Randolph.

Pitt Gorilla
07-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Gilbert is a numbers guy who will never help a team win a championship...

Sure he can average a ton of points...but he takes ridiculous shots and doesn't make his teammates better...

Washington was better last year without him than they were with him...that's telling for a player. If he washed out of the league or found the end of the bench for a team in 3 years (making huge money of course) I wouldn't be surprised in the least.

The Blazers paid Steve Francis $30 million dollars before the start of the season just to not even show up because they didn't want anything to do with him...they just wanted to get rid of Zach Randolph.Why did they pay Randolph in the first place? It's not like they didn't know about his attitude.

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:12 PM

It is what it is...the NBA has a great system for rookies and teams so they can keep their star players...

NBA teams face the same hardships as NFL, MLB teams...every star player wants to be in a big market...you make more money playing in LA than you do in Minnesota...sometimes to keep that star player in Minnesota, you have to pay him more than he's worth...look at the Royals...we had to pay Meche and Guillen higher than market value otherwise they wouldn't come to this joke of a franchise.

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:16 PM
Why did they pay Randolph in the first place? It's not like they didn't know about his attitude.

I don't know...I don't care how friggin' talented someone is, I'd never want a Zach Randolph, Darius Miles, Eddy Curry on my team...especially if they only year they produced was a contract season.

Sure, if Zach lost weight and his attitude he'd be a star player all-star every year 25 and 12...

But the dude is a straight up degenerate, and will be a strain on the Knicks every game until they find a way to cut ties with him (and Curry, and Marbury)...

The Bulls had a down year, but I'm glad they don't have any Zach Randolph's (crossing my fingers on Tyrus Thomas)...because you don't win championships with cancers that don't give a shit about winning...

When was the last time a team won with a Stephon Marbury? Or a Gilbert Arenas?

You win with basketball players playing basketball...not Gilbert firing up ridiculous off balance J's just to see himself make 1 out of every 10 and get on SportsCenter top plays...

I don't question Gilbert's desire...but he plays the game like a flat out moron. Give me Ben Gordon any day...Gordon can score just like Gilbert and he doesn't mind being on the bench when the team actually wants to play basketball and get everyone involved...and no one is going to overpay him.

The Lakers were a team this year, and they came out of the great west...and the Celtics were a throwback team that played amazing team basketball and they easily won the title...

Pitt Gorilla
07-02-2008, 01:17 PM
It is what it is...the NBA has a great system for rookies and teams so they can keep their star players...

NBA teams face the same hardships as NFL, MLB teams...every star player wants to be in a big market...you make more money playing in LA than you do in Minnesota...sometimes to keep that star player in Minnesota, you have to pay him more than he's worth...look at the Royals...we had to pay Meche and Guillen higher than market value otherwise they wouldn't come to this joke of a franchise.Paying the Big Ticket and paying Zach freaking Randolph are completely different matters. Garnett's contract was a good deal regardless of what the Wolves spent. Randolph was a mistake from the beginning. The one that really gets me is the Buck's signing of Redd. Sure, he's a great scorer, but now they want to move him? Why sign him in the first place?

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Paying the Big Ticket and paying Zach freaking Randolph are completely different matters. Garnett's contract was a good deal regardless of what the Wolves spent. Randolph was a mistake from the beginning. The one that really gets me is the Buck's signing of Redd. Sure, he's a great scorer, but now they want to move him? Why sign him in the first place?

there you go...that's a good example...I wasn't using Garnett as an example, just Minnesota...Redd would've probably bolted had he not got that huge extension...put a sharpshooter like him in a big market and suddenly he's getting a nice shoe contract and commercials, etc...

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:24 PM
LeBron wants to be a billionaire athlete...that's not happening in Cleveland...if he bolts to New York or New Jersey suddenly he's getting a big time raise from Nike, he'll get 30 new endorsement offers, his own brand, etc. etc. etc.

One thing I like about the NFL is the ability to tag a player...that's probably the only good thing in their entire CBA other than the fact their is a cap that cannot be exceeded.

noa
07-02-2008, 01:34 PM
LeBron should go to the Nets. It makes sense for him if he wants the spotlight. Plus, the Nets moving to Brooklyn and adding him would be getting a whole new identity. I hope he doesn't stay in Cleveland. They are the most boring team on the planet.

Hootie
07-02-2008, 01:36 PM
LeBron should go to the Nets. It makes sense for him if he wants the spotlight. Plus, the Nets moving to Brooklyn and adding him would be getting a whole new identity. I hope he doesn't stay in Cleveland. They are the most boring team on the planet.

The day LeBron leaves the Cavs is the day that franchise folds...that would be the biggest blow to Cleveland since...well I'll let the Marty fans take over here.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-02-2008, 10:43 PM
The day LeBron leaves the Cavs is the day that franchise folds...that would be the biggest blow to Cleveland since...well I'll let the Marty fans take over here.

Well get ready for them to fold because he IS leaving Cleveland for Brooklyn when he can. He's already hinted at it.

BWillie
07-03-2008, 01:10 AM
Give my boy Paul Pierce a max contract. Most underrated player in the game the last five years. He is still relatively young too.

KevB
07-03-2008, 08:26 AM
Vince Carter overrated? Not in 2008. If anything he's become a bit underrated.

:homer:

Ever since VC admitted he didn't play hard in Toronto just to get traded....he lost the ability in mind mind to be "-rated" at all. He's a loser who stopped doing the one thing people paid to watch him do in Toronto --- dunk. He went soft, shooting a bunch of jumpers, and hurt the team in the process.

KevB
07-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Max contract guys (IMO):

Garnett
Kobe
Duncan
LeBron
CP
Dwight Howard
Dirk (a bit shaky on this one)
Nash (although I wouldn't give him a long termer at this point)
Wade

Borderline:
Brand
Derron Williams
Stoudamire
Melo
Bosh

You win championships with stars, so teams will overpay to keep them. And I agree it's the right decision. Sometimes, you have to make that decision before you quite know if the guy is truly a max player (Melo today is an example). You hope you pick the right horse and he develops into a franchise leader.

Basileus777
07-03-2008, 10:24 AM
:homer:

Ever since VC admitted he didn't play hard in Toronto just to get traded....he lost the ability in mind mind to be "-rated" at all. He's a loser who stopped doing the one thing people paid to watch him do in Toronto --- dunk. He went soft, shooting a bunch of jumpers, and hurt the team in the process.

I'm actually not the biggest Carter fan, what I said was more of a response to the general consensus that Vince is washed up. He's lost a step, but even bothered by an ankle injury all year long he was a 22/6/5 player. Carter is too passive and unassertive on the court, but he'd still be the perfect second option to a guy like LeBron.

Basileus777
07-03-2008, 10:31 AM
You win championships with stars, so teams will overpay to keep them. And I agree it's the right decision. Sometimes, you have to make that decision before you quite know if the guy is truly a max player (Melo today is an example). You hope you pick the right horse and he develops into a franchise leader.

Yep. Teams don't generally have problems building a contending team because they overpay legit superstars. They have problems when they overpay roleplayers or commit too much money to guys who aren't really superstars.