PDA

View Full Version : Money Flood Damage/Car Search

jiveturkey
07-03-2008, 09:53 PM
While enjoying a tasty Jack Stack dinner last night the parking lot filled up with water, which lead to my car being filled up with water as well (about 2 inches on the inside). It's being looked at the insurance company wants to have it fixed. Since it will be worth about a hundred bucks even if they were able to fix it I have no choice but to fight it.

So I spent the day looking for a new rig. I figured that I would start with the Camry since I've been driving one forever. They suck, and pretty badly. They're becoming more uncomfortable, much more plasticy and the resale research is looking pretty bad. It's like they're built for the morbidly obese. The seats are huge. Adios Camry.

Next up, the 2 door Nissan Altima. Drives fine, looks OK, but is plain jane on the inside and additional toys are way over priced. Out!

How about a two door Accord? Looks even better IMO, sluggish acceleration and concrete seats put an end to it's day.

I even went crazy and wondered into a Chevy lot. The Malibu's look pretty good and a buck goes a long way but the inside is total shit. It's 100% shitty plastic. Barf!

What is up with cars these days? High mpg options just aren't very plentiful.

I'm seriously leaning towards a stop gap solution while new shit gets developed.

Used Corolla, used 2 door Civic, used Camry (2004 or earlier because they seem to suck after that).

Or I'll have to break down and buy the only car I liked. The Acura TL and TSX blow everything else out of the water right now. A used TSX can be had in the mid $20's while the TL is upper $20's and more often than not low $30's.

pr_capone
07-03-2008, 10:09 PM
Get a motorcycle.

Cheap transportation and guaranteed tail.... just ask this guy!

http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r133/Finch83/myspace5.jpg

Smed1065
07-03-2008, 10:14 PM
Do you want a dependable car with decent mileage or one that requires no give and take? Cars are a bad "investment" so go with a clunker that is big and no resale value. (cheap to buy and use but the MPG)

You will save more in paying for it and insurance, even if it breaks down in 2 years.

From my experience.

How far is your commute?

jiveturkey
07-04-2008, 07:02 AM
Do you want a dependable car with decent mileage or one that requires no give and take? Cars are a bad "investment" so go with a clunker that is big and no resale value. (cheap to buy and use but the MPG)

You will save more in paying for it and insurance, even if it breaks down in 2 years.

From my experience.

How far is your commute?
I like dependable low mpg cars. My commute is about 3 miles each way but I put about 10k/year on my car with road trips and jacking around on weekends.