PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV CALLING ALL FILM GEEKS!!! Metropolis BABY! PBJ

Fire Me Boy!
07-04-2008, 07:32 AM
A friend of mine wrote this, but quite literally every word applies to me, too. Metropolis was the first DVD I ever bought!

PBJ PBJ PBJ

For movie geeks this is huuuuge news! The German silent film Metropolis is arguably the most influential science fiction film ever made and even in its surviving condition can pack quite a punch. I was first introduced to the film in college in a film appreciation class and soon thereafter acquired a DVD for my own personal collection. I was fortunate enough to see a theatrical screening in Kansas City accompanied by a live performance of an original score for the film by the Alloy Orchestra. I even have a McFarland Toys action figure of Brigitte Helm's Maria that sits squarely atop my television (mine's on a shelf in my living room). I kinda like this movie.

The most recent reconstruction of the film, taken from pieces found in various museums and film archives around the world, amounted to a running time of just over two hours (124 minutes to be precise) and is said to still be lacking nearly 25% of the complete original film.
Metropolis has an interesting history which you can read about at imdb. com, but suffice it to say the original full-length movie has rarely been seen since its debut in Berlin in 1927.

Until recently, that is. Apparently, a museum curator in Buenos Aires discovered that a print of the COMPLETE 210 MINUTE PREMIERE CUT was in her museum's film archive.

The voyage of this print is curious as well and a link to the article can be found here:

http://www. aintitcool. com/node/37324

as well as photos from the previously missing footage.

As far as film history is concerned this news is massive. The footage they have discovered has been missing since the 1920's.

Ninety years! That's longer than some of your grandparents have been alive!

Digitalbits. com reports that distributor KINO video, which released the prior reconstruction, will be involved in the salvaging of this new print and releasing the full reconstruction on DVD and Blu-Ray next year. I can't wait to watch this movie again...in a sense, for the first time. Yes, I'm a geek.

Bowser
07-04-2008, 07:36 AM
Never seen it.

Adept Havelock
07-04-2008, 08:47 AM
OK, that's very cool. I'll certainly be picking it up when it's released.

Now if they have a copy of the complete Frank Capra's Lost Horizon I'll be even happier.

cdcox
07-04-2008, 09:16 AM
I watched this a few years ago, and while I'm glad that I did, once was probably enough. I thought even the version I watched was kind of long. Normally long movies that take their time telling the story don't bother me.

So while I understand the importance of this find, I can't say that I am all excited to watch the whole thing.