PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV 1st attempt at filmmaking: Requiem For A Gopher

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2008, 06:30 PM
When the Ferris Buehler parody video "Requiem For a Day Off" was posted a while back, it got me thinking.

What other comedies would be funny to tie to that epic music?

So, I thought I'd make an effort at putting one together. Keep in mind that I had no previous experience with the editing software - had to kinda learn by doing - so it could be much better, but I think it's a good first attempt. Let me know what you think.

OnTheWarpath58 productions is proud to present:

"Requiem For a Gopher"

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVPJdHHvxoo&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kVPJdHHvxoo&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

POND_OF_RED
07-05-2008, 06:43 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAO Nicely done, especially for a first time thing. :thumb:

stumppy
07-05-2008, 06:47 PM
:thumb:

Pretty good.

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2008, 07:18 PM
LMAOLMAOLMAO Nicely done, especially for a first time thing. :thumb:

Thanks.

I'm open to suggestions for a follow-up with the same music.

Rausch
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Thanks.

Requiem to the Dazed and Confused

Requiem for a Football Coach (The DV Story)

Requiem for a Bad Santa...

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 07:27 PM
Pretty solid first go.

Question: What software DID you use?

Suggestions: I'd shorten some of your scenes. When he's playing with the explosive creatures he's made, it lags with the build up music. THey don't match.

However, it was a pretty good match with the explosives at the end. I'm curious because I've never made it all the way through Caddyshack (yes I know....) was that all one scene with none of your editing?

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Requiem to the Dazed and Confused

Requiem for a Football Coach (The DV Story)

Requiem for a Bad Santa...

Animal House?

Anchorman?

Old School?

Tommy Boy?

Jewish Rabbi
07-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Here's something kinda similar to this that my friends and I made about a week ago (sorry for invading your thread, I can't start my own yet). It starts out kinda slow, but I thought it turned out to be pretty decent.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IlBagqQeezQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IlBagqQeezQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2008, 07:31 PM
Pretty solid first go.

Question: What software DID you use?

Suggestions: I'd shorten some of your scenes. When he's playing with the explosive creatures he's made, it lags with the build up music. THey don't match.

However, it was a pretty good match with the explosives at the end. I'm curious because I've never made it all the way through Caddyshack (yes I know....) was that all one scene with none of your editing?

Adobe Premiere Elements - and I'm not sure I'm following the question.

I took clips from the movie and chopped them up to fit for time/music.

The "final" scene is much longer in the movie - so I cut a ton of frames out.

And thanks for the suggestion. The part you're speaking of was at a point where I was getting frustrated with the process and kinda half-assed it. A light bulb kinda went off and made the process MUCH easier after that.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 07:35 PM
Adobe Premiere Elements - and I'm not sure I'm following the question.

I took clips from the movie and chopped them up to fit for time/music.

The "final" scene is much longer in the movie - so I cut a ton of frames out.

And thanks for the suggestion. The part you're speaking of was at a point where I was getting frustrated with the process and kinda half-assed it. A light bulb kinda went off and made the process MUCH easier after that.

Sorry, I don't know why I emphasized DID. Hmm. :hmmm:

I wondered if you took out scenes. That was clearly your best work in the piece. Mostly because the music fit.

Having said that, it doesn't have nearly the effect that Bueller's did. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it doesn't feel like you're transforming it to another genre. It does, however, feel like a trailer. In that respect, I think you win.

FAX
07-05-2008, 07:39 PM
Very well done, Mr. OnTheWarpath58. Compliments from the cheap seats.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
07-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Sorry, I don't know why I emphasized DID. Hmm. :hmmm:

I wondered if you took out scenes. That was clearly your best work in the piece. Mostly because the music fit.

Having said that, it doesn't have nearly the effect that Bueller's did. I don't mean that in a bad way, but it doesn't feel like you're transforming it to another genre. It does, however, feel like a trailer. In that respect, I think you win.

I definitely wasn't trying to "top" the Ferris vid, I was just trying to see if I could even put something decent together.

I literally had never used the software before - didn't even have instructions - just learned on the fly. I'm sure there are a TON of things I've yet to discover that would have made it much better.

I can tell you this: I have even more respect for GC's videos now that I know what goes into it.

I'd really like to do more, but my source video is pretty limited.

irishjayhawk
07-05-2008, 08:52 PM
I definitely wasn't trying to "top" the Ferris vid, I was just trying to see if I could even put something decent together.

I literally had never used the software before - didn't even have instructions - just learned on the fly. I'm sure there are a TON of things I've yet to discover that would have made it much better.

I can tell you this: I have even more respect for GC's videos now that I know what goes into it.

I'd really like to do more, but my source video is pretty limited.

FTR, I didn't think you were trying to top Ferris. I just thought you should know the distinction in case you were going for Ferris.

Here's an example of a sweet trailer:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD4OnHCRd_4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vD4OnHCRd_4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yours felt more like that, is what I was trying to say. Not a bad things, unless you were specifically going for Ferris-like.

And yeah, software is best learned on your own - at least in my experience.

Discuss Thrower
07-05-2008, 09:48 PM
Dialog from Spackler would be good to have in the video, at least. Any other dialog that helps lift the "epic" atmosphere would help as well.

Great job for a first time vid, rep will now be dispensed.

Slayer Diablo
07-06-2008, 01:22 AM
Animal House?

Anchorman?

Old School?

Tommy Boy?

Dodgeball

Jewish Rabbi
07-06-2008, 01:33 AM
Thanks.

Debbie Does Dallas?

Deberg_1990
07-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Nice work.

Now if you can make something out of "Caddyshack II" i will consider you a true genius.

OnTheWarpath15
07-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Nice work.

Now if you can make something out of "Caddyshack II" i will consider you a true genius.

My name is OnTheWarpath58, not Houdini.

:D

OnTheWarpath15
07-07-2008, 03:47 AM
I think I have decided on my next project...

Deberg_1990
07-07-2008, 08:28 AM
I think I have decided on my next project...

Give us a hint at what it is..the suspense is killing me.

OnTheWarpath15
07-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Give us a hint at what it is..the suspense is killing me.

YOU LIAR!