PDA

View Full Version : Life THOSE WITH LITTLE LEAGUERS: please tell me you've never had to go through this shit.

SPATCH
07-07-2008, 03:56 PM
When i was seventeen years-old (four years ago), i was employed by the local newspaper to write sports articles.... This summer, when I came back home, I was asked by the editor if I could fill in for the current sportswriter who is taking a month off. I agreed because I could use a little money.

Today, I was handed one of the gnarliest score-sheets I have ever seen and was forced to write a story on it. It was a Little League softball game, and the second inning consisted of a 22-run shellacking. At one point, the poor girl that was pitching loaded bases and proceeded to WALK IN FOURTEEN RUNS IN A ROW (they left the same girl on the rubber the whole time!). And, the team had a grand total of TWO hits in the inning (it's very likely they were actually errors that were scored as hits). the game ended in a 38-4 ass-mongering.

It reminded me of a Little League baseball game I wrote about when i was seventeen that literally ended in a 53-0 ass-raping.

Its gotta be hard for parents to sit through this... and how demoralizing is this for the kids?? holy shit.

any of you guys go through this?

Swanman
07-07-2008, 04:01 PM
I didn't go through this personally, but when I was in little league there was a team that lost to a team 38-1, only to turn around and beat the same team 5-3 later in the year.

I was on the bad end of a 36-2 loss when I was 10. That was a long 3 hours.

stumppy
07-07-2008, 04:02 PM
Nope. My boys always kicked ass.:D

kstater
07-07-2008, 04:04 PM
"At one point, the poor girl that was pitching loaded bases and proceeded to WALK IN FOURTEEN RUNS IN A ROW (they left the same girl on the rubber the whole time!)."

I'm thinking the coach for the winning team told them not to take the bat off the shoulder. To me, that's bush league. I can see it for a couple of runs, but then you just got to say swing at it regardless to try not to completely demoralize the kid pitching.

SPATCH
07-07-2008, 04:06 PM
I didn't go through this personally, but when I was in little league there was a team that lost to a team 38-1, only to turn around and beat the same team 5-3 later in the year.

I was on the bad end of a 36-2 loss when I was 10. That was a long 3 hours.

i played on a team one year that was pretty good when i was ten or eleven...

whenever we built up leads of 20 or more, our coach made us go to the dish left-handed. happened three times that season.

07-07-2008, 04:13 PM
What happened to run rules per inning and per game?

Braincase
07-07-2008, 04:16 PM
That's why there are 10 run rules.

If you have to post it, post the bare minimums, and move on. I've done the triad - scorekeeper, umpire, writer, and sometimes it's not fun. Had to talk to coaches one game because one team didn't have a pitcher that could keep from hitting the batters. Walked 10 runs one ining, switched pitchers, walked in another 10 runs the next ining with a different pitcher that hit everybody, but he hit them harder. Couldn't call 10 run rule until after the 4th ining. I felt for the coaches, parents and the pitchers, as well as the kids that got hit.

bogey
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
"At one point, the poor girl that was pitching loaded bases and proceeded to WALK IN FOURTEEN RUNS IN A ROW (they left the same girl on the rubber the whole time!)."

I'm thinking the coach for the winning team told them not to take the bat off the shoulder. To me, that's bush league. I can see it for a couple of runs, but then you just got to say swing at it regardless to try not to completely demoralize the kid pitching.

I totally agree.

SPATCH
07-07-2008, 04:19 PM
What happened to run rules per inning and per game?

you have to play a minimum amount of innings until it comes into effect

CoMoChief
07-07-2008, 04:36 PM
I would have walked out

CoMoChief
07-07-2008, 04:38 PM
you have to play a minimum amount of innings until it comes into effect

when I played it was 10 runs after 4 innings.

Though I was on a team that was good so I never saw the bad side of it except in this tournament one time when I was 11 and we had to play 14 year olds.

They whomped us 15-4.

rtmike
07-07-2008, 04:53 PM
"UNCLE!!"

sportsman1
07-07-2008, 06:06 PM
I played In the Little league all stars and we got Mercyed twice to get eliminated. They never let anyone get bigger than a 10 point lead. Our first one was called in the second inning 10 to 0.