PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink KC Masterpiece

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 02:34 PM
Has anyone been to KC Masterpiece since they got a new chef and changed the menu in April?

Apparently, this is the guy who is trying to make them respectable.

http://www.ribstarsbbq.com/index.html

Any opinions?

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Has anyone been to KC Masterpiece since they got a new chef and changed the menu in April?

Apparently, this is the guy who is trying to make them respectable.

http://www.ribstarsbbq.com/index.html

Any opinions?

Are they going to change their crappy sauce?

Stewie
07-08-2008, 02:40 PM
The last two times I ate there it sucked. Hopefully the new folks can bring it back to respectability.

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 02:58 PM
Are they going to change their crappy sauce?

The sauce is actually owned by Kingsford, so no. I don't know if they use that sauce in the restaurant or a custom one.

sedated
07-08-2008, 03:26 PM
The sauce is actually owned by Kingsford, so no. I don't know if they use that sauce in the restaurant or a custom one.

it might not be straight off the grocery store shelves, but its that same sweet garbage.

I couldn't finish my last meal there because it was so f'n sweet.

eazyb81
07-08-2008, 03:37 PM
I hate KC Masterpiece simply because it tarnishes the name of KC Barbecue. Everyone I talk to outside of KC thinks KC Masterpiece is "real" KC BBQ, and thus they think it's overrated. We should vote to take the KC part off their name.

sedated
07-08-2008, 03:49 PM
I hate KC Masterpiece simply because it tarnishes the name of KC Barbecue. Everyone I talk to outside of KC thinks KC Masterpiece is "real" KC BBQ, and thus they think it's overrated. We should vote to take the KC part off their name.

and, while we're at it, the "masterpiece" part too.

BigRedChief
07-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Friggin KC Masterpiece sucks. You will find no self respecting BBQ lover that claims it as representive of the high calibur of BBQ in KC. I could think of 20 places in the KC area better than their BBQ.

Simply Red
07-08-2008, 04:15 PM
it might not be straight off the grocery store shelves, but its that same sweet garbage.

I couldn't finish my last meal there because it was so f'n sweet.

so not, sweet like SWEET! but literally sweet. Is that what you mean?

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 05:01 PM
Ok we all recognize that it SUCKED. BUT they have a new chef as of a few months ago... he completely revamped the recipes and menu (or so he claims)

Has ANYONE tried them since?

Let's pretend (I have no data on this) that they succeeded and they actually kick ass now... is their reputation in KC SOOOO bad that it will never be overcome?

Is there anything they could do to repair their rep?

I imagine they will always offer the "standard" sauce but if they offered a less sweet "house" sauce, would that help?

Reaper16
07-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Friggin KC Masterpiece sucks. You will find no self respecting BBQ lover that claims it as representive of the high calibur of BBQ in KC. I could think of 20 places in the KC area better than their BBQ.
Only 20? You can do better than that, surely. :)

Reaper16
07-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Ok we all recognize that it SUCKED. BUT they have a new chef as of a few months ago... he completely revamped the recipes and menu (or so he claims)

Let's pretend (I have no data on this) that they succeeded and they actually kick ass now... is their reputation in KC SOOOO bad that it will never be overcome?

I imagine they will always offer the "standard" sauce but if they offered a less sweet "house" sauce, would that help?
I'm not going to see if the chef change helps unless someone else is footing the bill. THAT'S the kind of poor reputation that place has.

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 05:06 PM

Maybe. If they started using Bryant's sauce.

BigRedChief
07-08-2008, 05:18 PM

It would be such a uphill battle to overcome. Very long shot to overcome their well deserved reputation.

Lonewolf Ed
07-08-2008, 05:19 PM

Sweet as in sugary syrupy sweet. Feh!

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 05:22 PM
So, if they had a "house" sauce that was more like Bryant's and assuming the new chef is as good as he appears to be. (he has a ton of awards and teaches BBQ classes)

The next step would be to fix the horrible reputation.

That sounds like it will be a massive uphill battle in the KC market.

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 05:31 PM
So, if they had a "house" sauce that was more like Bryant's and assuming the new chef is as good as he appears to be. (he has a ton of awards and teaches BBQ classes)

Do you have some sort of connection to KC Masterpiece? You seem pretty up on what they are doing.

the Talking Can
07-08-2008, 05:37 PM

are you doing market research for them?

SBK
07-08-2008, 05:44 PM

If you want good KC sauce, and this is available in Atlanta, go to Wal-Mart and get Gates Original.

QuikSsurfer
07-08-2008, 05:45 PM

I know you hate Gates but their sauce can't be beat.

alanm
are you doing market research for them?
Has anyone heard from Kevin lately? Has he jacked AC's admin account? :hmmm:

QuikSsurfer
If you want good KC sauce, and this is available in Atlanta, go to Wal-Mart and get Gates Original.

:thumb:

alanm
07-08-2008, 05:47 PM
Walmart in Atlanta has Gates sauce on the shelves?????
WTF don't they have it where I live??:cuss::cuss:

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 05:51 PM
Do you have some sort of connection to KC Masterpiece? You seem pretty up on what they are doing.
Yep, I have a connection to the new owners.

I have no clue if they really HAVE turned around the quality, but connection aside, I am embarrased by what they represented as KC BBQ before the switch...

Spott
07-08-2008, 06:00 PM
KC Masterpiece is the kind of shitty BBQ I would expect to find down here in Florida. I'm surprised that they are even still open.

KCChiefsMan
07-08-2008, 06:02 PM
last time I ate there I got the worst half slab of ribs I've ever had. Dry, tough and disgusting

the Talking Can
07-08-2008, 06:15 PM

I have no clue if they really HAVE turned around the quality, but connection aside, I am embarrased by what they represented as KC BBQ before the switch...

so how about just being upfront instead of engaging us all as if you were "just curious"......

Skip Towne
07-08-2008, 06:21 PM

Too sweet just like 90% of all sauces.

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 06:23 PM
so how about just being upfront instead of engaging us all as if you were "just curious"......

um, because I am JUST CURIOUS, I live in Austin and was wondering if they made tangible changes because I have no way to tell from here.

I doubt I ever discuss this with them... and If I revealed that connection at some posters may not have been COMPLETELY honest...

Jesus. Calm down Francis.

SBK
07-08-2008, 06:29 PM

They have 3 varieties. Waiting to find Jackstack, which I did find at Gateway Market in Des Moines when I was back home a few months ago.

My fridge has Arthur Bryants, Gates and Jackstack sauces for all my BBQ needs.

shaneo69
07-08-2008, 06:50 PM

A couple people that worked at KC Masterpiece started a new chain in St. Louis called "Masterpiece."

http://www.masterpiece-bbq.com/aboutus.html

cdcox
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
I've never tried KC Masterpiece and only get to eat KC BBQ once or twice a year. But based on their supermarket sauce, my first impression is less than favorable. There are so many good places that I wouldn't burn one of my rare chances to eat KC BBQ on KC Masterpice.

Honestly in the KC market, their name is probably a more of a liability than an advantage.

Logical
07-08-2008, 07:24 PM
They have 3 varieties. Waiting to find Jackstack, which I did find at Gateway Market in Des Moines when I was back home a few months ago.

The internet is excellent as it allows me to get the best KC BBQ sauces.

Logical
07-08-2008, 07:26 PM

I have no clue if they really HAVE turned around the quality, but connection aside, I am embarrased by what they represented as KC BBQ before the switch...I see you already answered. Thanks and sorry for the repost.

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 07:40 PM
I see you already answered. Thanks and sorry for the repost.

..no problem.

For the record, my two favs are Jack Stack and Eat It And Beat It... I highly doubt they will reach that level of quality anytime soon, but still curious if they had made any significant changes at all.

cookster50
07-08-2008, 07:53 PM

If they are new owners, they should have changed the name.

AustinChief
07-08-2008, 08:18 PM
If they are new owners, they should have changed the name.

The name has a TON of value outside the KC area. If you opened a KC Masterpiece here in Austin or Pheonix or wherever... the name is a huge asset.

The name is an internationally recognized brand. I am pretty certain that was what they were buying.

petegz28
07-08-2008, 08:20 PM

ugh.....give me Gates over all of it anyday.

Fire Me Boy!
07-08-2008, 08:23 PM

The internet is excellent as it allows me to get the best KC BBQ sauces.

And once again, this time with EMPHASIS!

MAKE YOUR OWN GODDAMN SAUCE, PEOPLE!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4822318&postcount=12
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4822319&postcount=13

Logical
07-08-2008, 09:32 PM
And once again, this time with EMPHASIS!

MAKE YOUR OWN GODDAMN SAUCE, PEOPLE!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4822318&postcount=12
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=4822319&postcount=13
Where is your Bryants and Jackstack recipes. Hey I will try if you have one of those.

Mojo Rising
07-09-2008, 12:04 AM
The restaurant is across from the Marriott. I would guess most of the traffic is from visitors. The taste needs to be bland to appeal to people not from the area.

Any real BBQ afficianado in the area would go to Haywards which is just up the street. I have a 1/2 case of Haywards sauce in my garage where all of my wine is stored. Haywards is my favorite.

Fire Me Boy!
07-09-2008, 06:50 AM
Where is your Bryants and Jackstack recipes. Hey I will try if you have one of those.

Try this for Arthur Bryant's...

1/2 c. balsamic vinegar
1/2 c. red wine vinegar
1 c. water
3/4 c. paprika
1/3 c. yellow mustard
1/8 c. brown sugar
1/8 c. salt
1/8 c. worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp. onion powder
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
1 Tbsp. Louisiana hot sauce

Mix all ingredients and simmer for 30 minutes. Some say there should be some celery powder in there... might try adding a touch - a little goes a long ways.

Can't find a recipe for Jack Stack's. Note, I've never made the above recipe so I can't vouch for its authenticity.

MTG#10
07-09-2008, 09:43 AM
We have Gates in almost all the supermarkets in Springfield, good shit. I found some Jack Stack sauce at Harter House but wasnt that impressed. I havent been able to find any Arthur Bryants sauce around here, I would love to try it.

KCUnited
07-09-2008, 09:49 AM
I understand the marketing power the name KC Masterpiece brings to business and I can only speak for myself, but as a local for them to become respectible they must shed the name. I'm hard pressed to go anywhere other than Oklahoma Joes's which imo is the hands down best bbq in the city, but I like more of a Carolina style. I cringe everytime the Travel channel or Food Network does a show on bbq and they showcase Masterpeice. I wish them the best though.

Logical
07-10-2008, 12:33 AM
Try this for Arthur Bryant's...

Can't find a recipe for Jack Stack's. Note, I've never made the above recipe so I can't vouch for its authenticity.Thanks, looks promising (no ingredients that are too hard to get.