PDA

View Full Version : Money I am in need for some legal advice!

GoHuge
07-10-2008, 09:11 PM
Somebody stole my wallet Tuesday night and racked up about $300 in gas and made off with about $75. I'm assuming that is what they do when they don't have the PIN. The only thing I have is what gas stations they went to. My bank didn't think it was strange or try to put a stop to it after 4 trips to the gas station in less than 24 hours. In all honesty is there anyway I could seriously track these people down? When I filed the police report the cop told me this is a fairly common thing with gas being so expensive and not having the PIN so they have no other way of using it. In all honesty I'd be OK if the bastards would just give me my wallet back with the stuff in it. Hell I would have gladly given somebody the money for doing the right thing. Now I have to get all new everything. Insurance cards, DL, SS, and the phone numbers of some pretty important comtacts that I've accrued over the years. What the hell is wrong with people? I could never do that to somebody, but I'll do whatever I have to do to make this as nasty as I can.

Simply Red
07-10-2008, 09:24 PM
Somebody stole my wallet Tuesday night and racked up about $300 in gas and made off with about $75. I'm assuming that is what they do when they don't have the PIN. The only thing I have is what gas stations they went to. My bank didn't think it was strange or try to put a stop to it after 4 trips to the gas station in less than 24 hours. In all honesty is there anyway I could seriously track these people down? When I filed the police report the cop told me this is a fairly common thing with gas being so expensive and not having the PIN so they have no other way of using it. In all honesty I'd be OK if the bastards would just give me my wallet back with the stuff in it. Hell I would have gladly given somebody the money for doing the right thing. Now I have to get all new everything. Insurance cards, DL, SS, and the phone numbers of some pretty important comtacts that I've accrued over the years. What the hell is wrong with people? I could never do that to somebody, but I'll do whatever I have to do to make this as nasty as I can.

Take the high road! Don't be dumb. BTW, I couldn't do that to anyone either.

CrazyPhuD
07-10-2008, 09:37 PM
This is why I have a remote detonator in my current wallet. A few ounces of semtex and it's red mist time.

stumppy
07-10-2008, 09:43 PM
Pick up Redrums mom and pimp her out over the weekend. You can probably make back the money that was stolen. And I hear that her old nasty gash looks just like an old worn out leather billfold.

DaFace
07-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Will you at least get your $300 back from the bank?

banyon
07-10-2008, 10:32 PM
Gas stations have cameras usually to stop gas thefts, they might get a license plate that way. Are you dealing with the Manhattan PD?

Otherwise there are some legal rules you need to be aware of. If you don't notify your bank in 48 hours, then you could be liable for up to $500. Also you must challenge anything on your bank statement within 60 days. Even though you are a victim, most banks will still try to collect the money from you and complicate matters further. Reprehensible conduct for banks, IMO, but they do it all the time.

Also, you need to get credit reports for a while, in case he uses the info to create new accounts that you otherwise wouldn't know about.

Here's some info from the FTC:

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/credit/cre04.shtm

Also you needto put an ID theft watch with your local PD and one of the credit reporting companies for at least a few months. You will get more hassle if you try to sign up for things in the near future, but if you don't the risk is too high.

2bikemike
07-10-2008, 10:50 PM
My advice is when you get your new SS card don't carry it in your wallet. Also you need to either sign up to something like Life Lock or start tracking and monitoring your credit report. You are ripe for identity theft now that they have everything they need to open up a new credit line in your name.

petegz28
07-10-2008, 10:56 PM
Pick up Redrums mom and pimp her out over the weekend. You can probably make back the money that was stolen. And I hear that her old nasty gash looks just like an old worn out leather billfold.

ROFL

Uncle_Ted
07-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Call the credit reporting agencies and put a fraud watch on your credit. That will make it more difficult if anyone tries to open up credit in your name.

btlook1
07-10-2008, 11:06 PM

I heard it doesn't even look that good. Something like a worn out flat football with a big gash in the side!

CosmicPal
07-10-2008, 11:30 PM
It depends upon when you reported the wallet stolen.

I'll give you a story that happened to me a few years ago and maybe it will help you:

I had my wallet stolen after picking up this gal at a Halloween party. She also stole my car. The dumb broad picked up her friends and went on a shopping spree.

I did all the things I was supposed to do: filed a police report and called the bank to stop the card.

Lucky for me, the bank reimbursed me for everything. It took a few months, but I got every cent of the $2,000 limit they spent.

You simply have to get on it with the bank. I was lucky though. Because I also asked the bank when was the last time they tried to use the card, and they responded, "Oh, about ten minutes ago. They tried to use it at the Something Motel in Idaho Springs."

I hung up and called the IS police department and let them know they were in their town. A few minutes later, they called me back and found the bitch and her thieving friends. I got my car and my money back.

I was lucky as hell. But, it can happen. But, as long as you notified the bank the card was stolen, and you filed a police report, they should reimburse you, if not for all of it, for something at least.

DeezNutz
07-10-2008, 11:32 PM

I'll give you a story that happened to me a few years ago and maybe it will help you:

I had my wallet stolen after picking up this gal at a Halloween party. She also stole my car. The dumb broad picked up her friends and went on a shopping spree.

I did all the things I was supposed to do: filed a police report and called the bank to stop the card.

Lucky for me, the bank reimbursed me for everything. It took a few months, but I got every cent of the $2,000 limit they spent.

You simply have to get on it with the bank. I was lucky though. Because I also asked the bank when was the last time they tried to use the card, and they responded, "Oh, about ten minutes ago. They tried to use it at the Something Motel in Idaho Springs."

I hung up and called the IS police department and let them know they were in their town. A few minutes later, they called me back and found the bitch and her thieving friends. I got my car and my money back.

I was lucky as hell. But, it can happen. But, as long as you notified the bank the card was stolen, and you filed a police report, they should reimburse you, if not for all of it, for something at least.

Whoa. Damn.

2bikemike
07-10-2008, 11:47 PM

Not quite the fugging you expected that night was it?

bowener
07-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Not quite the fugging you expected that night was it?

Probably not what that chic expected either. Now she gets her rug munched by a brick house named Jo for the next 5 to 10.

stumppy
07-11-2008, 07:20 AM
I heard it doesn't even look that good. Something like a worn out flat football with a big gash in the side!

Kinda like an axe fell on a hunk of meat ?

beach tribe
07-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Probably not what that chic expected either. Now she gets her rug munched by a brick house named Jo for the next 5 to 10.

Do you visit her just to laugh at her?

CoMoChief
07-11-2008, 07:30 AM
wtf do you have your SS card in your wallet. BIG mistake.

Hoover
07-11-2008, 07:38 AM

Wow, she fu@ked you hard

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-11-2008, 07:55 AM
Nows your opportunuty to buy a bunch of stuff, store it in a container and blame it on the thief!

blueballs
07-11-2008, 08:47 AM
you think your wallet fells light now
go talk to a lawyer

GoHuge
07-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I did everythig that everyone has mentioned. I live in and it happened here in Overland Park. All the charges where either in KCK or Independence.......go figure. My bank told me I did everything I needed to do so they'll get it handled. The only reason I had my SS card was because I had been to Social Security that day and thought I might need it. Trust me I've had that song sang to me since birth :)