PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink First BBQ

MaxFects
07-11-2008, 12:23 PM
So throwing first and very small bbq with girlfriend. She borrowed a small 21 inch grill from her dad. I need some help on the whole process. If we're expecting max of 12 people, how much coal would I need to cook enough for everyone. Im saving for summer vacation so can't spend too much, just thinking burgers, dogs, and chicken. Any pointers to help prep?

penguinz
07-11-2008, 12:24 PM
Go to costco and pick up some lump charcoal. 4 bags would be more than enough and would be less than $30.

sedated
07-11-2008, 12:25 PM
that's not technically a "BBQ".

its a "cookout".

penguinz
07-11-2008, 12:26 PM

its a "cookout".
If you have a bottle of KC Masterpiece it then becomes a BBQ! ;)

Donger
07-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Don't make anyone sick.

sedated
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
If you have a bottle of KC Masterpiece it then becomes a BBQ! ;)

no, then it becomes dessert

Demonpenz
07-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Sounds like a good bbq

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:32 PM

its a "cookout".

x2.

Dartgod
07-11-2008, 12:34 PM
You've never cooked over a fire before? :shake:

Hand over your man card pronto.

wutamess
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
This doesn't sound like it's going to turn out well if you're asking how much coal you need.

Ever thought about catering?

wutamess
07-11-2008, 12:36 PM
Futhermore, $30 should get you everything you need for charcoal & food.

StcChief
07-11-2008, 12:37 PM
depending on what your cooking be cautioned about the amount of Charcoal.. Get metal chimney to heat up charcoal.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:38 PM
This doesn't sound like it's going to turn out well if you're asking how much coal you need.

Ever thought about catering?

x2.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
Just get yourself an $8 bag of Kingsford charcoal and call it good.

I don't know how much they weigh, but I'm sure 25 lbs. or so of charcoal will definitely suit your needs. And I'm not advising you use the whole bag. But you'll definitely have more than enough for quite a few cookouts. Just use enough briquets that they actually cover the bottom and you can distribute even heat. You don't need to pile it on to the hilt. There are metal tube like devices you can dump a pre-determined amount of charcoal in to heat it up.

I advise you buy a few 30 packs as well, so if your food sucks nobody will care because they're buzzed.

As for the chicken, chicken breasts are expensive. Buy drumsticks and thighs, more flavor anyhow and loads cheaper. If for some reason you must have white meat, get those frozen chicken breast packages. The WalMart variety that has like 10 "breasts" in the frozen section for like $7.

wutamess
07-11-2008, 12:42 PM
To answer your question: 1 big bag of charcoal will be more than enough.
Don't get the coals too close to the grilling part. if you keep the spouts open on the top or bottom of the grill more air will get through increasing heat and possibly keeping flames.

If you get flames... try to avoid throwing water on them. if you can... put the lid on and the flames should go out. Othrwise, you could water down your coals and put out the heat.

MaxFects
07-11-2008, 12:44 PM
Better to burn food then get people sick right :)

MaxFects
07-11-2008, 12:45 PM

:(

I've always helped out. Never worn the apron though.

Pablo
And don't listen to the BBQ aficionados in this thread telling you cater it and "it's not called BBQ." It's a cookout, but if you want to call it a BBQ, BFD. You're a man. You should have some basic instincts for cooking over fire built into your DNA.

Everyone has to try it for the first time, hope it all goes well.

rad

Ever think maybe the kid hasn't even earned it yet?

Don't be so quick to judge, sheesh. Help the young Padawan.

sedated
marinate the chicken. for f*cks sake I can't count the number of times people have served bare-ass white plain dry chicken. even something simple like italian dressing and worstershersire sauce.

but at least you are using a gas grill. the smoke should provide some flavor.

(gas grills are for fuqtards)

Boon
07-11-2008, 12:46 PM
......If we're expecting max of 12 people, how much coal would I need to cook enough for everyone...... Any pointers to help prep?

Bituminous or anthracite?

Powder River Basin is going for about $14/ton.........don't think you'll need that much though!

MaxFects
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
great tips, really glad I asked

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:48 PM
marinate the chicken. for f*cks sake I can't count the number of times people have served bare-ass white plain dry chicken. even something simple like italian dressing and worstershersire sauce.

but at least you are using a gas grill. the smoke should provide some flavor.

(gas grills are for fuqtards)Gas grills are for people who live in apartment complexes and can't have a charcoal grill due to lease stipulations. And for people who want/need to cook a ton of food really fast.

As for the chicken, yes marinate it. I use a little soy, teriyaki, italian, and a splash of lemon. Works out alright.

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
And don't listen to the BBQ aficionados in this thread telling you cater it and "it's not called BBQ." It's a cookout, but if you want to call it a BBQ, BFD. You're a man. You should have some basic instincts for cooking over fire built into your DNA.

Everyone has to try it for the first time, hope it all goes well.

Quite seriously, I agree with most of GR's post, and I'd echo good luck.

However, I'm a stickler for "BBQ" being "BBQ" and not grilling. What you're doing is grilling. BBQ is low and slow.

Dartgod
07-11-2008, 12:49 PM
Ever think maybe the kid hasn't even earned it yet?

Don't be so quick to judge, sheesh. Help the young Padawan.
Are you new here?

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:51 PM
Quite seriously, I agree with most of GR's post, and I'd echo good luck.

However, I'm a stickler for "BBQ" being "BBQ" and not grilling. What you're doing is grilling. BBQ is low and slow.This is true, but he's calling the event a BBQ. He's saying I'm having a BBQ, as opposed to I'm barbecuing, or I'm cooking some BBQ.

It doesn't really bother me because I've heard it called both ways my entire life. BBQ, cookout...I just expect hamburgers, chicken, brats, etc.

Unless it is specified there will be brisket, or pulled pork or something of that nature I just assume the terms are interchangeable in these parts.

FTR, I use the term "grilling out", but that's me.

sedated
07-11-2008, 12:52 PM
Gas grills are for people who live in apartment complexes and can't have a charcoal grill due to lease stipulations. And for people who want/need to cook a ton of food really fast.

then they should skip the grill and cook it on a foreman.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 12:53 PM
can i go?

sedated
07-11-2008, 12:54 PM
I just assume the terms are interchangeable in these parts.

maybe where you come from, yankee.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
then they should skip the grill and cook it on a foreman.Or just soak hickory chips in water then make tin-foil packets and place them over the propane outlets. It's not the same, but it makes it a little better.

Demonpenz
07-11-2008, 12:55 PM
BBQ means open flame and meat.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:56 PM
maybe where you come from, yankee.I suppose the 60 mile gap that separates you and I must have entirely different dialects and figures of speech.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
May I come?

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:57 PM
May I come?Yes, just make sure you have the kleenex ready. No more sticky messes on the bathroom floor please.

Demonpenz
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
I remember my last bbq we had hot dogs and braughts it was easy to fire up!

Baby Lee
07-11-2008, 12:58 PM
Or just soak hickory chips in water then make tin-foil packets and place them over the propane outlets. It's not the same, but it makes it a little better.

I got the little cast iron chip drawer. I'm set.

Seriously though, though there is a difference between BBQ and grilling, there is a lot of skillz to be displayed in either. I'm quite proud of the vast array of delictibles I can conjure over hot lava rocks.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 12:59 PM
I got the little cast iron chip drawer. I'm set.Where did you buy that at?

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 01:02 PM
Where did you buy that at?

I got one a long time ago at ACE. Lowe's should also have them.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:03 PM
I will bring something Maxfexts

sedated
open flame and meat.

party at Will and Grace's house

NTTAWWT

Simply Red
I got one a long time ago at ACE. Lowe's should also have them.

ace?

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
ace?

ACE Hardware. You know... John Madden's place.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm going to have a party soon too. I know lots of fans. I love the chiefs

booyaf2
07-11-2008, 01:05 PM
So throwing first and very small bbq with girlfriend. She borrowed a small 21 inch grill from her dad. I need some help on the whole process. If we're expecting max of 12 people, how much coal would I need to cook enough for everyone. Im saving for summer vacation so can't spend too much, just thinking burgers, dogs, and chicken. Any pointers to help prep?

Seriously, just go buy yourself a small 10lb bag of kingsford, that will be plenty of charcoal for one cookout for 12 people. Whatever you do, leave the lighter fluid on the shelf, it'll ruin a good burger. Go to kingsford's website and look thru their tips. its all there. Hell i think its on the back of the bag. Just read it and memorize it before the party so you don't look like a midnight vulture.

Carry on.

sedated
07-11-2008, 01:06 PM
leave the lighter fluid on the shelf

newspaper

Fire Me Boy!
07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
newspaper

And a chimney. Don't waste your money on the ones at Wal-Mart. I've used three or four before I bought a Weber (sold, again, at ACE)... going back, I'd buy the Weber to begin with. Believe me, chimney starters are NOT all created equal.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:08 PM
newspaper

do u smoke pot?

sedated
07-11-2008, 01:10 PM
do u smoke pot?

never heard of it

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:15 PM
never heard of it

Do you live near kansas?

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:17 PM
never heard of it

I noticed you're pic. of bart simpson smoking a maryjuana ciggy.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:18 PM
How do I start a thread?

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:20 PM
And a chimney. Don't waste your money on the ones at Wal-Mart. I've used three or four before I bought a Weber (sold, again, at ACE)... going back, I'd buy the Weber to begin with. Believe me, chimney starters are NOT all created equal.

who woud cook in a chimney?

Baby Lee
07-11-2008, 01:21 PM
Where did you buy that at?

Mine's by Char-Broil - picked it up at Cargo Largo, but I'm sure you can find them in most HW stores.

http://www.charbroil.com/bps/char-broil/char-broil/product/images/1_1_2184804_small.jpg

Pablo
I noticed you're pic. of bart simpson smoking a maryjuana ciggy.C'mon that's homer. And he's wearing a Chiefs shirt, as in a Chief's "homer".

Demonpenz
party at Will and Grace's house

NTTAWWT

what did you think of the season finale?

StcChief
07-11-2008, 01:22 PM
who woud cook in a chimney?it's for lighting charcoal to heat up faster together. before spreading it out....

You cook at all?

Baby Lee
07-11-2008, 01:25 PM
who woud cook in a chimney?

A chimney [and NOT a chiminea, if that's what you're envisioning] is just a way to get air moving through the charcoal quickly to get them burning strong in a short amount of time. It's a can that's open on top, and that doesn't let the coals go all the way to the bottom. At the bottom are air holes, so the heat from the stacked and lit coals will draw air up under, through, and out the top, getting the party started quicker.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PC0JD1DFL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

sedated
07-11-2008, 01:28 PM
How do I start a thread?

a fast candidate for the ignore function.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:30 PM
a fast candidate for the ignore function.

Well, I LOVE YOU TO

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:32 PM
it's for lighting charcoal to heat up faster together. before spreading it out....

You cook at all?

no my girl will from time to time.

She made shit on the shingles last night.

Monty
07-11-2008, 01:36 PM
There are metal tube like devices you can dump a pre-determined amount of charcoal in to heat it up.

Heh. Next week on the Food Network: Outdoor Grilling with Bill Nye the Science Guy.

R&GHomer
07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
If you have never grilled out and are planning on making chicken. I strongly urge you to use legs and thighs and boil them first. Spice up the water with whatever you want and onions. Boil until the skin starts to want to pull back off the meat. Cool it down for a few minutes spice it up and throw some bbq sauce on it. Put it on the grill and let it firm up for a few minutes. I cook chicken on the grill raw too, but it's taken me a while to figure that one out. Tell you the truth, boiling it first makes the chicken taste better IMHO. just my two cents.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:38 PM
im sure bobby fillet will be proud of you pros

Bugeater
07-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Seriously, just go buy yourself a small 10lb bag of kingsford, that will be plenty of charcoal for one cookout for 12 people. Whatever you do, leave the lighter fluid on the shelf, it'll ruin a good burger. Go to kingsford's website and look thru their tips. its all there. Hell i think its on the back of the bag. Just read it and memorize it before the party so you don't look like a midnight vulture.

Carry on.
What the hell are you talking about?

Pablo
07-11-2008, 01:46 PM
What the hell are you talking about?The lighter fluid taste can permeate the meat while cooking and give you a not so pleasant taste. Especially if your fire is dying and you make the oh so common mistake of squirting a little lighter fluid on to give your coals some pep.

Skip Towne
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
How do I start a thread?

You don't, n00b.

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:49 PM
What the hell are you talking about?

ru dumb?

Simply Red
07-11-2008, 01:50 PM
You don't, n00b.

why is eveybody so mean, I cam e here to talk about chiefs football and all I see is food shit everywhere.

Bugeater
07-11-2008, 01:51 PM
The lighter fluid taste can permeate the meat while cooking and give you a not so pleasant taste. Especially if your fire is dying and you make the oh so common mistake of squirting a little lighter fluid on to give your coals some pep.

I've always used lighter fluid and have never noticed that. I do know better than to put more on after it's going. What are you supposed to use then, gasoline?

Pablo
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
why is eveybody so mean, I cam e here to talk about chiefs football and all I see is food shit everywhere.Haha. It's the offseason, you won't find much football talk for at least another month. There will be some for training camp and such, but this is what CP is right now.

Food, Poop, Sex, Racism. All the best topics you can think of.

StcChief
07-11-2008, 01:54 PM
why is eveybody so mean, I cam e here to talk about chiefs football and all I see is food shit everywhere.
who are these mythical Chiefs you speak of? .... this is the off season n00b.

TC is a few weeks away.:p

R&GHomer
07-11-2008, 01:55 PM
I've always used lighter fluid and have never noticed that. I do know better than to put more on after it's going. What are you supposed to use then, gasoline?

I use lighter fluid all the time. I think people just use to much of it, or let it soak in to long. I make my pyramid squirt a little on the out side but the real trick is to put just enough on the center bottom ones in the middle of the pyramid, just shoot straight through it from the top. Wait about three minutes and fire it up. I never have the tast of fluid on my meat.... and yes I worded it that way on purpose children.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I use lighter fluid all the time. I think people just use to much of it, or let it soak in to long. I make my pyramid squirt a little on the out side but the real trick is to put just enough on the center bottom ones in the middle of the pyramid, just shoot straight through it from the top. Wait about three minutes and fire it up. I never have the tast of fluid on my meat.... and yes I worded it that way on purpose children.This is true. I think many people get in the habit of dousing their charcoal in the stuff. Just soaking it and soaking it, and it leaves a strong flavor.

That Kingsford Matchlight stuff is a pretty good option if you don't want to mess with the lighter fluid aspect.

booyaf2
07-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I use lighter fluid all the time. I think people just use to much of it, or let it soak in to long. I make my pyramid squirt a little on the out side but the real trick is to put just enough on the center bottom ones in the middle of the pyramid, just shoot straight through it from the top. Wait about three minutes and fire it up. I never have the tast of fluid on my meat.... and yes I worded it that way on purpose children.

I just never chance it. I use newspaper, or paper towels with a shot of cooking spray on it. would rather ingest that than lighter fluid. To each their own. Just figured since he was a beginner, he didn't need to be soaking down the coals with lighter fluid.

R&GHomer
07-11-2008, 02:07 PM
I just never chance it. I use newspaper, or paper towels with a shot of cooking spray on it. would rather ingest that than lighter fluid. To each their own. Just figured since he was a beginner, he didn't need to be soaking down the coals with lighter fluid.

Oh I here ya. Using a Chimney is the best route to go for a novice. I have one but I hardly use it because it’s too small.

Bugeater
07-11-2008, 02:16 PM
This is true. I think many people get in the habit of dousing their charcoal in the stuff. Just soaking it and soaking it, and it leaves a strong flavor.

That Kingsford Matchlight stuff is a pretty good option if you don't want to mess with the lighter fluid aspect.
I'm fairly certain it says right on the bag not to let it soak in, as long as you don't use too much and light it right away it's fine.

You don't think burning newspaper puts off any toxic chemicals? Not to mention that sounds like a complete pain in the ass.

penguinz
07-11-2008, 02:25 PM
I'm fairly certain it says right on the bag not to let it soak in, as long as you don't use too much and light it right away it's fine.

You don't think burning newspaper puts off any toxic chemicals? Not to mention that sounds like a complete pain in the ass.
Using lighter fluid is much more a pain in the ass. Not to mention more dangerous and unhealthy.

Demonpenz
07-11-2008, 02:30 PM
I want my bloody steak and cheese burger toxin free 2003!

Stewie
07-11-2008, 02:32 PM
A 21" grill for 12 people? That's less the 1/2" per person. Cook the dogs vertically.

Boon
07-11-2008, 02:34 PM
Using lighter fluid is much more a pain in the ass. Not to mention more dangerous and unhealthy.

And more expensive.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
C'mon that's homer. And he's wearing a Chiefs shirt, as in a Chief's "homer".
AND he's stoned. MUST be a Chiefs homer.

penguinz
07-11-2008, 02:38 PM
A 21" grill for 12 people? That's less the 1/2" per person. Cook the dogs vertically.
You don;t line them up end to end.

tyton75
07-11-2008, 02:47 PM
If you are still even reading this... DON"T try to cook chicken your first time out... you'll either cook it to a hockeypuck consistency.. or it will still be raw in the middle

stick to burgers and dogs.. maybe throw some brats in.. those are easy too...

get kingsford... and its not the end of the world to use lighter fluid.. just light it up and get it hot, make sure the coals are mostly grey before putting food on, that will ensure the lighter fluid flavor is burned off.. and just cook it up.. no biggie

good luck

sedated
07-11-2008, 02:48 PM
maybe throw some brats in.. those are easy too...

you think brats are easier to cook than chicken?

Skip Towne
07-11-2008, 02:49 PM
I have one but I hardly use it because it’s too small.
That's what your wife said.

Bugeater
07-11-2008, 02:53 PM
You put in on, light it and walk away, it couldn't be any easier. Crumpling up a bunch of newspaper and trying to get it all going evenly sounds way more difficult, but I could be wrong as I've never tried it.

And removing danger from the equation would take all of the fun out of it. :p

sedated
07-11-2008, 02:58 PM
And removing danger from the equation would take all of the fun out of it. :p

you always want to include the risk of burning your shirt

MaxFects
07-11-2008, 03:48 PM
How long does it take to get hot with some lighter fluid usually?

Bugeater
07-11-2008, 03:55 PM
you always want to include the risk of burning your shirt
:cuss:

How long does it take to get hot with some lighter fluid usually?

15-20 mins.

Pablo
07-11-2008, 04:03 PM
I reiterate. Buy beer. The drunker your friends are, the better your food will taste.

Skip Towne
07-11-2008, 04:21 PM
Grilling is so easy a caveman could do it.

DaFace
07-11-2008, 06:53 PM

C'mon...if you're gonna use a dup account, at least make it interesting.

KcMizzou
07-11-2008, 08:19 PM
How long does it take to get hot with some lighter fluid usually?After you add the lighter fluid, though... let it soak for two beers before lighting. No more, no less.

Been a family rule for years. :)

Skip Towne
07-11-2008, 08:20 PM
C'mon...if you're gonna use a dup account, at least make it interesting.

Which dumbass is it?