PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports PRAISE THE LORD!!!!!! PACKER GONE!

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 06:21 AM
No, this isn't another Brett Favre thread.

CBS set to replace Packer

BY BARRY JACKSON

College basketball commentator Billy Packer, who has announced 34 consecutive Final Fours on network television and created a few controversies along the way, will not be returning to CBS for a 28th season, The Miami Herald has learned. CBS has decided to replace Packer, 68, with studio analyst Clark Kellogg on its lead announcing team.

An announcement is expected Monday, but CBS representative Leslie Anne Wade confirmed the story Sunday night.

CBS believed the time was right for a change and that Kellogg deserved a chance to work with Jim Nantz on the lead team.

Packer, who had been going year to year with his contract, confirmed through a CBS official Sunday that he no longer will broadcast for the network but is pursuing other projects in basketball. Packer declined to comment further.

Packer's streak of working as the color analyst at every championship game since 1977 (and being a part of every Final Four broadcast since 1975) ranks among the most remarkable in network TV sports history.

''I think Billy has given the most professional accounting of basketball in the history of our game as a commentator,'' Louisville coach Rick Pitino said recently.

Packer spent his first seven years at NBC, where he initially teamed with Curt Gowdy and, later, with Dick Enberg and Al McGuire in what has been considered one of the most entertaining three-man booths in sportscasting history. He joined CBS in 1981 and has been paired with Nantz since 1991.
Packer had a serious, no-nonsense style -- the antithesis of the approach taken by ESPN's Dick Vitale, the other announcer most often associated with the sport.

Though he occasionally mixed in historical factoids, Packer stuck mostly to dissecting strategy and assessing players' strengths and weaknesses -- a style that helped him win a Sports Emmy in 1993.

''No one has ever loved the game of college basketball more than Billy Packer,'' Nantz said recently. ``He protects the heart and soul of the sport. Fans don't realize they owe Billy a thank-you.''

But Packer sometimes became embroiled in controversy. In 1996, he called then-Georgetown guard Allen Iverson ''a tough monkey'' but later apologized and said he was trying to praise Iverson's relentless play.

In 2000, Packer publicly apologized to two Duke University students for sexist comments he allegedly made before a game at Cameron Indoor Stadium. When students asked Packer to show his press pass, he reportedly said, ``Since when do we let women control who gets into a men's basketball game? Why don't you go find a women's game to let people into?''

Packer created a stir in 2006 when he blasted the inclusion of mid-majors in the NCAA Tournament. He repeatedly questioned the accuracy of Nielsen ratings and also blamed the NBA for raiding the sport of its young stars, which drew the ire of commissioner David Stern.

As a guard, Packer helped lead Wake Forest to the 1962 Final Four and served briefly as an assistant coach at the school.

Kellogg, 47, was a Big Ten MVP at Ohio State and the ninth overall pick by the Indiana Pacers in the 1982 NBA Draft, but he played only five seasons before knee problems forced him to retire. He joined ESPN in 1990 and has been with CBS since 1993.

Greg Anthony, an NBA analyst for ESPN, is being strongly considered to replace Kellogg alongside Greg Gumbel and Seth Davis in the CBS studio.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/story/603901.html

DJay23
07-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Thank God.

I got that uncomfortable feeling with him in the booth. Sort of like we were bothering him by asking him to give his account of the game, even if it was pretty spot on. Well, maybe we didn't ask him, but he sure didn't sound happy to be doing what he was doing.

Although his call of, 'UNBELIEVABLE!' after Chalmers' tying three was pretty sweet and summed up my feelings.

DaKCMan AP
07-14-2008, 06:49 AM
Thank God.

I got that uncomfortable feeling with him in the booth. Sort of like we were bothering him by asking him to give his account of the game, even if it was pretty spot on. Well, maybe we didn't ask him, but he sure didn't sound happy to be doing what he was doing.

Although his call of, 'UNBELIEVABLE!' after Chalmers' tying three was pretty sweet and summed up my feelings.

He was always consistent in calling at least 2-3 players by the wrong name for the entirety of a game. I won't miss that.

DTLB58
07-14-2008, 08:12 AM
I just really haven't liked this guy for awhile now, In fact, the last 2 Championship games I have watched the entire game with the TV muted.

I just got the feeling packer was to the point where he thought he was bigger than the game and his wrong predictions live on the air of what was about to happen in the game that didn't (ala Al McGuire) just drove me nuts and showed his arrogance.

Clark will be an upgrade and a reason for me to turn the volume back up again.

shormanator
07-14-2008, 08:19 AM
was he the one that said KU has the experience, because they played an overtime game in 1959?

Skip Towne
07-14-2008, 08:37 AM
Good riddance to PACCker.

RNR
07-14-2008, 09:37 AM
I would take Packer over Dick Vitale everyday of the week. Packer never bothered me that much, not a fan of his but did not hate him.

teedubya
07-14-2008, 09:45 AM
At least he got to experience the KU Championship as his last. Good RIddance, Fudge Packer.

DJay23
07-14-2008, 10:41 AM
I would take Packer over Dick Vitale everyday of the week.

This I can agree with.

Reaper16
07-14-2008, 11:12 AM
This is pleasant news.

Also, wtf @ the Petino quote in the story? That's a flat-out lie.

CoMoChief
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
Packer hates KU basketball.

He can burn in hell for all I care.

RJ
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM
He's not as sharp as he once was but I still enjoy his commentary. I've been listening to him since the early 70's when he was doing ACC games. Like him or not, he did a great deal for college BB. The NCAA tourney and the Final Four have come a long way and he was there for the whole trip.

RealSNR
07-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Can someone tell me if it was Packer who said, "That's it. Game over" after KU went up 40 points on UNC in the final four?

StcChief
07-14-2008, 01:35 PM
time to infuse some younger talent....