PDA

View Full Version : Music RUSH on Colbert tonight

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 12:16 PM
here is a link to the story (http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/rush-perform-first-time-us/story.aspx?guid=%7BE459F7ED-56E2-4A69-A2E2-F17C40600782%7D&dist=hppr)

Renowned rock icons Rush will make an extremely rare television appearance as they perform their massive hit "Tom Sawyer" on COMEDY CENTRAL's Peabody(R) Award-winning and Emmy(R)-nominated "The Colbert Report" on Wednesday, July 16 at 11:30 p.m. ET/PT. It's the band's first U.S. television performance since "Don Kirschner's Rock Concert" in 1975.
Upcoming musical appearances on the show include: NAS performing from his self-titled album (July 23), a second appearance by Toby Keith promoting his release "35 Biggest Hits" (July 28) and Crosby Stills and Nash to culminate the month (July 30).
Other musicians who have previously performed on the show include Tony Bennett, Peter Frampton, Chris Funk (The Decemberists), Carole King, John Legend, Barry Manilow, John Mellencamp, Willie Nelson, R.E.M., The Roots and Neil Young.
Repeat episodes air Monday-Thursday at 1:30 a.m., 8:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. and Friday at 8:30 a.m., 2:30 p.m. and 8:30 p.m. (all times ET/PT). "The Colbert Report" airs regularly Monday-Thursday at 11:30 p.m. following "The Daily Show with Jon Stewart."
"The Colbert Report" is produced by Jon Stewart's Busboy Productions, Inc. in association with Spartina Productions, Inc. Stewart, Colbert and Allison Silverman are the executive producers with Meredith Bennett and Richard Dahm as co-executive producers. Jim Hoskinson is the director. Lou Wallach and Dan Powell are the executives in charge of production for COMEDY CENTRAL.

HC_Chief
07-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Kewl. Thanks for the heads up

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 12:23 PM
Renowned rock icons Rush will make an extremely rare television appearance as they perform their only hit and decent song "Tom Sawyer"

FYP

StcChief
07-16-2008, 12:25 PM
expecting a repost for the no.1 RUSH fan today.

Reaper16
07-16-2008, 12:30 PM
FYP
You didn't fix shit; you broke that post, sir.

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 12:36 PM
I've been really hard on rush over the years. Partly because I am biased against woman lead singers, but lately with the help of some HEART. I am starting to come around

chasedude
07-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I've been really hard on rush over the years. Partly because I am biased against woman lead singers, but lately with the help of some HEART. I am starting to come around

I wonder if you feel the same way about Tenors in a Barbershop quartet?

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I wonder which instrument Colbert will play....perhaps the light sabre

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I wonder if you feel the same way about Tenors in a Barbershop quartet?

I cut my own hair

Baby Lee
07-16-2008, 12:55 PM
"I built the number one golf course in all of California, its better than Pebble Beach!"

Mr. Flopnuts
07-16-2008, 12:56 PM
I suck large penises.

FYP

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:00 PM
I cut my own hair

:hmmm:
http://www.bestofasseenontv.com/flowbee1/flowbee.jpg

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
this would be a good time for RUSH to announce their retirement

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 01:11 PM

They should have announced that 25 years ago. ROFL

Dartgod
07-16-2008, 01:12 PM
Why would they do that? They can still bring it in their live performances. Just because YOU don't like a particular act doesn't mean that there aren't millions of others that do.

MTG#10
07-16-2008, 01:13 PM
When I read the title I thought you meant Rush Limbaugh would be on Colbert. Now that would be interesting.

kc rush
07-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I set my DVR.

Archie F. Swin
07-16-2008, 01:28 PM
Why would they do that?
Go out like Seinfeld...quit while you're on top...or just when you're beginning to tumble down the mountain.

RJ
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Rush is like cilantro. People usually either really love it or really hate it, there is rarely an in between. I'm a big fan of cilantro.

blueballs
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
skip the chowder at halfcan's trolly

beach tribe
07-16-2008, 01:55 PM
How that singer's nuts have lasted so long with a rubber band around them is quite an achievement.

mcan
07-16-2008, 03:00 PM
I'll definately tune in to see CSN on there. How cool is that?!

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:30 PM
I'll definately tune in to see CSN on there. How cool is that?!

and Young? :D

Third Eye
07-16-2008, 06:37 PM
Go out like Seinfeld...quit while you're on top...or just when you're beginning to tumble down the mountain.

While I consider myself a Rush fan, they haven't been on top in years.

wazu
07-16-2008, 07:27 PM
While I consider myself a Rush fan, they haven't been on top in years.

Were they ever on top? I think of them as a band that was "halfway decent" a long time ago.

Nightfyre
07-16-2008, 08:21 PM
dammit, and here I was hoping it was rush limbaugh. That would be comedy GOLD. A well-thought gentleman like colbert versus the glib and dastardly limbaugh.

07-16-2008, 11:56 PM
Damn, Geddy isn't hitting the high notes anymore.

KcMizzou
07-17-2008, 12:58 AM
Were they ever on top? I think of them as a band that was "halfway decent" a long time ago.I admit, it's a combover.

splatbass
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM

That happens as people age. They tune their guitar and bass down a step now so he doesn't have to sing as high as he used to. And tonight he still wasn't hitting the high notes.

07-17-2008, 01:15 AM
That happens as people age. They tune their guitar and bass down a step now so he doesn't have to sing as high as he used to. And tonight he still wasn't hitting the high notes.

Yeah, I remember going to see Boston about 10 years ago and they brought in a new singer just to take the high notes.

little jacob
07-17-2008, 05:37 AM
dammit, and here I was hoping it was rush limbaugh. That would be comedy GOLD. A well-thought gentleman like colbert versus the glib and dastardly limbaugh.

haha. like a political commentator can't match wits with a gesture comedian?

Baby Lee
07-24-2008, 06:46 AM
<embed FlashVars="videoId=177559" src='http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/video_player/view/colbert_report/swf.jhtml' quality='high' bgcolor='#cccccc' width='425' height='416' name='colbert_report_player' align='middle' allowScriptAccess='always' allownetworking='external' type='application/x-shockwave-flash' pluginspage='http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer'></embed>

Nightfyre
07-24-2008, 07:22 AM
haha. like a political commentator can't match wits with a gesture comedian?

Who is the comedian again? Seriously, Colbert would probably eat Limbaugh alive. But that's because hes a libertarian, the quantitatively correct answer to the political question.

Jawshco
07-25-2008, 10:35 AM
Say what you want about Geddy's voice (which I like because it's unique and not cookie-cutter sounding), but they are one of the most talent musical trios ever. Many bass players consider Geddy to the best bass player in rock; a few people in the Guitarist thread mentioned Alex as their favorite, and Neil Pert is God on Drums- there is no doubt that Neil one of, if not the, best ever.

So to say that RUSH is a mediocre band is just wrong. They've had many hits, have been a huge influence to generations of musicians and are the most powerful music trio that I know of. If that's your definition of mediocre, then you and I have very different understandings of the word.

Demonpenz
07-25-2008, 10:41 AM
Getty lee sounds like a cat caught in a screen door and Neil Pert is boring, yay another random fill that isn't needed *sigh*

kc rush
07-25-2008, 10:42 AM
Say what you want about Geddy's voice (which I like because it's unique and not cookie-cutter sounding), but they are one of the most talent musical trios ever. Many bass players consider Geddy to the best bass player in rock; a few people in the Guitarist thread mentioned Alex as their favorite, and Neil Pert is God on Drums- there is no doubt that Neil one of, if not the, best ever.

So to say that RUSH is a mediocre band is just wrong. They've had many hits, have been a huge influence to generations of musicians and are the most powerful music trio that I know of. If that's your definition of mediocre, then you and I have very different understandings of the word.

Yeah... this argument has happened here many times before. Rush is a love 'em or hate 'em deal. Just enjoy the music and let the haters be.

Chief Chief
07-25-2008, 11:49 AM

That's what happens when puberty kicks in at age 55.

Pitt Gorilla
07-25-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm not a huge Rush fan, but I really enjoyed the performance.

Jawshco
07-25-2008, 12:19 PM
Getty lee sounds like a cat caught in a screen door and Neil Pert is boring, yay another random fill that isn't needed *sigh*

Neil Pert is "boring"? Sheesh! He's one of the best musicians alive. You're pretty tough please. Who else do find boring? Jimi Hendrix? Satch? Wooten?

Once someone dared me to go into a drum store and yell, "Neil Pert, Sucks!" just to see what would happen. I like Pert too much to say that, but I've always been curious about what would happen- Maybe you're just man for the job, LOL!

Jawshco
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
That's what happens when puberty kicks in at age 55.

I think Geddy sounds better now than he did when he was young (but I like both). I think lower version of "Freewill" is actually much better. The same can't be said for Robert Plant though. :hmmm:

Rausch
07-25-2008, 12:22 PM
Rush the fatass or RUSH the band and I won't bother.

Cream Rush and it might be worth a view...

Jawshco
07-25-2008, 12:35 PM
Yeah... this argument has happened here many times before. Rush is a love 'em or hate 'em deal. Just enjoy the music and let the haters be.

Yeah, that's probably good advice. I just can't understand why it's so popular on internet forums to claim that everything either sucks or "rulz". It's so ridiculous, and drives me crazy. I'm not the world's biggest RUSH fan, but I don't get why anyone would be so disrespectful to one a group that is so talented and influencial. Probably just a sore point for me because I'm a musician, and I know how hard any professional musican had to work to get where they are. And with RUSH they not only became professional, but they had hits, and they lead an entire movement of music. I can't even imagine that kind of success. It's just awesome.

They say that RUSH went back stage after playing for Colbert and played Tom Sawyer again, but on the game ROCK BAND, and really were getting into it. Now that's how you know you've made it!

Rausch
07-25-2008, 12:38 PM
Yeah, that's probably good advice. I just can't understand why it's so popular on internet forums to claim that everything either sucks or "rulz". It's so ridiculous, and drives me crazy. I'm not the world's biggest RUSH fan, but I don't get why anyone would be so disrespectful to one a group that is so talented and influencial. Probably just a sore point for me because I'm a musician, and I know how hard any professional musican had to work to get where they are. And with RUSH they not only became professional, but they had hits, and they lead an entire movement of music. I can't even imagine that kind of success. It's just awesome.

I loved the music but the vocals kill it for me.

Like nails on a chalk board...

Jawshco
07-25-2008, 04:32 PM
I loved the music but the vocals kill it for me.

Like nails on a chalk board...

I can definitely understand that, and know many people that would agree. Suprisingly enough, I actually feel the same way about Led Zepplin as you do about Rush, and it did take me a few listens to aquire a liking to Geddy's voice. Both are great bands though.

Baby Lee
07-25-2008, 08:12 PM
Looked down at the clock and it's 21:12.

Chief Chief
07-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Looked down at the clock and it's 21:12.

Thanks for ruining the new X Files movie for all of us!