PDA

View Full Version : Money Is a 1% pay raise good?

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:29 PM
I just had my annual evaluation with my boss for my job performance. I've been here for 2 years now so I can understand working in a non-profit organization is not very lucrative. Nearly all of our money used comes from Gov't grants (fed and state). In April The Board of Directors figured in a 1.5% across the company raise for a cost of living increase so that was at least something.

Some background on my position, I'm the only computer guy for 150 people spread over a 10 county area. Servers, remote locations, and tons of other shit. I work my butt off around here for a 30k a year and this is all they think of me is a lousy 1%?

My evaluation had high marks except for my "appearance". I crawl around under people's desks that they NEVER vacuum, what am I supposed to do? I was hired for my brain, not my GQ skills.

Those of you that work for a wage, what percentage do you see when you get your raises? Thanks for your input.

rambleonthruthefog
07-16-2008, 01:31 PM
4-6% is fair to good. over is great. less is lame.

Saulbadguy
07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
I work for the government, so around 1 to 3 percent a year is the norm.

RJ
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
One percent is excellent if you're already making eleventy bajillion dollars a year. One percent of eleventy bajillion could feed a small nation for years.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 01:34 PM
get your experience in gov't work do everything and document all you can do. get a cert.
go to private industry next. 1% for non-profit, lucky.

Frazod
07-16-2008, 01:36 PM
It's better than getting a 0% raise. But not by much.

I'd personally be offended and start looking for another job.

SBK
I thought IT guys made bank? Do some searching on Monster or Hotjobs or even Craigslist and see what people are paying in your area for what you do. If you can make a bunch more somewhere else go out and buy a nice suit and go get a better job.....

BigMeatballDave
Be happy. I haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years. My employer doesn't do cost of living increases. Satan has reserved a special place for that dirtbag...

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:37 PM
get your experience in gov't work do everything and document all you can do. get a cert.
go to private industry next. 1% for non-profit, lucky.

This is something I'm working on, certs. I'm thinking one more year here for the exp and then move on out into the private sector again.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:39 PM
I thought IT guys made bank? Do some searching on Monster or Hotjobs or even Craigslist and see what people are paying in your area for what you do. If you can make a bunch more somewhere else go out and buy a nice suit and go get a better job.....

They make bank after they're geniuses and find the right company.

Fish
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM
1% is bare minimum for that salary.... especially in IT. That doesn't cover increased cost of living. Unless they're also counting the 1.5% that everybody got as part of the yearly increase.... still 2.5% increase is pretty frugal.

Burn your boss's house down.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2008, 01:41 PM

Agreed. Whats the price of inflation every year?? 2.5 -3% ??

Get your resume in order.

Fire Me Boy!
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
3 percent is fairly normal in the media.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:43 PM
Be happy. I haven't seen a pay increase in 3 years. My employer doesn't do cost of living increases. Satan has reserved a special place for that dirtbag...

It's so ironic here. The company here is a Head Start and emergency funding for those in the poverty level. Many of the girls here have their own children in Head Start classes because they qualify under the line. A company meant for helping people get out of poverty are putting their own employees in it. Just makes me shake my head sometimes. :shake:

BigVE
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I'm pretty sure I read recently that the inflation rate is/was just over 4.25 percent so anything less than that and your losing ground. That being said the company I work for gives raises in the 2-4% range annually and no cost of living raises. I think around 3 percent is about the average raise nation wide, IIRC. 1% ain't much but at least it's something.

Bweb
07-16-2008, 01:44 PM
I have been working at the same college (college coach and currently an admistrator) for 13 years and I have had annual raises from as low as 3% to as high of 9%. 1% is kind of low....

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
Agreed. Whats the price of inflation every year?? 2.5 -3% ??

Get your resume in order.

Yeah, I need to keep that updated. I've learned and applied alot more since I've been at this job.

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 01:45 PM
I get a yearly cost of living increase of 3%.

When I get step increases in my job it's 5%.

1% is kind of low.

kepp
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
...I'm the only computer guy for 150 people spread over a 10 county area...

Sounds like you have some leverage. You could probably be paid much more for what you're doing. I agree with frazod...put the feelers out.

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 01:47 PM
It sounds like they've got a tight budget, first of all, if raises are 1.5 percent on average. The important thing to me is how you fared against your peers. If you got a below-average raise, it means that they think others deserved a larger increase than you, which in turn means that you're either currently overpaid compared to other employees or they're not too keen on you.

Use this as a learning experience. Go to them and (in a non-whiny manner), ask, "What should I be doing differently if I want to get a larger raise next year?" The fact that your raise was below average means that they should be able to tell you specifics, and I guarantee that it'll be more than "appearance".

Then take those critiques to heart, work sincerely to fix them, and unless you really like your organization, go find another job where you can make a fresh start.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm supposed to go talk with my boss here in a few minutes to finalize my evaluation and sign off on it. I'm going to express my distaste for the lack of MONEY!

The Franchise
07-16-2008, 01:48 PM
I'm supposed to go talk with my boss here in a few minutes to finalize my evaluation and sign off on it. I'm going to express my distaste for the lack of MONEY!

I wouldn't burn any bridges. Just do what Rainman said to do.

BigRedChief
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I just had my annual evaluation with my boss for my job performance. I've been here for 2 years now so I can understand working in a non-profit organization is not very lucrative. Nearly all of our money used comes from Gov't grants (fed and state). In April The Board of Directors figured in a 1.5% across the company raise for a cost of living increase so that was at least something.

Some background on my position, I'm the only computer guy for 150 people spread over a 10 county area. Servers, remote locations, and tons of other shit. I work my butt off around here for a 30k a year and this is all they think of me is a lousy 1%?

My evaluation had high marks except for my "appearance". I crawl around under people's desks that they NEVER vacuum, what am I supposed to do? I was hired for my brain, not my GQ skills.

Those of you that work for a wage, what percentage do you see when you get your raises? Thanks for your input.
Dude, I've get at least 3-6 calls a day from recruiters. If you can do those skills listed above you should be able to get at least $45K in the KC area.

When I was at Sprint 3% raises were considered good. I left and I'm making double what I made there. I consider that good not a 3% raise.

DaneMcCloud
07-16-2008, 01:49 PM

QFT.

3.5%-4% is the norm, unless you had a horrible year-end review or you're a jackoff.

I'm guessing that neither apply.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
I've gotten 5-6% usually

BigVE
07-16-2008, 01:50 PM
QFT.

3.5%-4% is the norm, unless you had a horrible year-end review or you're a jackoff.

I'm guessing that neither apply.

Well, I'm assuming he is AT WORK and he HAS been posting on CP all day....hmmm, we may have figured it out for him. ;) LOL

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 01:51 PM

Talk about your WORTH, not money specifically and belivee you are more valuable to the company rather than you arent paying me enough and i need more money etc... there is a way to handle it, goodluck

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 01:54 PM
30k doesn't sound right at all

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Talk about your WORTH, not money specifically and belivee you are more valuable to the company rather than you arent paying me enough and i need more money etc... there is a way to handle it, goodluck

Agreed.

I have another theory that might be considered. If it's a Head Start, you may be among the higher-paid people there. If the managers aren't very savvy about math (and there's a reasonable chance of that given their occupation - no offense intended), they may have just said, "Let's give a 30-cent raise across the board", which then means that you're getting a lower percentage when they actually thought they were being fair.

Also, if you are indeed among the higher-paid people, note that people with higher pay levels almost always get lower percentages. I don't know why that's true, but it seems to be a common occurrence.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 01:57 PM
Holy shit, 30k??? its not like you are a newb and starting out...you should be making atleast upper 30's

kepp
The fact that your raise was below average means that they should be able to tell you specifics, and I guarantee that it'll be more than "appearance".

Seriously...look at Mangino.

Amnorix

Every year you are falling further and further behind. You are also hurting your income potential because when you go for your next job, they may find out how little you made at your lost job.

Let me help you with this serious situation you're in.

<O:pwww.monster.com (http://www.monster.com)</O:p

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 01:59 PM

Yeah i wouldn't be working there anymore...you're screwing yourself over by staying

Simply Red
07-16-2008, 02:03 PM
I'd probably (at least) consider killing my boss.

Demonpenz
07-16-2008, 02:04 PM
yeesh 30 minus health and taxes wouldn't be much left over at the end of the month
gas money
rent/morgage
car/car insurance
health
yeeeesh

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2008, 02:14 PM
Yeah i wouldn't be working there anymore...you're screwing yourself over by staying

Every year you are falling further and further behind. You are also hurting your income potential because when you go for your next job, they may find out how little you made at your lost job.

I know. The problem is, my job is close to home and where my son lives. I could make 5-7 dollars more per hour if I could move to Cleveland. I'd have to drive 70-100 miles a day.

Pablo
07-16-2008, 02:23 PM
My job, albeit part-time, offers up to a 7% pay raise per year. I was there for 3 months when their new fiscal calendar started over and I got a default 4% pay raise.

I dunno. You could probably do much better.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:30 PM
I know. The problem is, my job is close to home and where my son lives. I could make 5-7 dollars more per hour if I could move to Cleveland. I'd have to drive 70-100 miles a day.

I understand the sacrifice, i hope that something local shows up or atleast within 30 miles of where you are...goodluck man

Pablo
07-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I know. The problem is, my job is close to home and where my son lives. I could make 5-7 dollars more per hour if I could move to Cleveland. I'd have to drive 70-100 miles a day.Yeah, and you'd probably be spending an extra $75-100 a week in gas. Not to mention the extra time driving each day is a real drag. But it could still be worth it.

Maybe you'll get lucky and something will open up closer.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:34 PM
It sounds like they've got a tight budget, first of all, if raises are 1.5 percent on average. The important thing to me is how you fared against your peers. If you got a below-average raise, it means that they think others deserved a larger increase than you, which in turn means that you're either currently overpaid compared to other employees or they're not too keen on you.

Use this as a learning experience. Go to them and (in a non-whiny manner), ask, "What should I be doing differently if I want to get a larger raise next year?" The fact that your raise was below average means that they should be able to tell you specifics, and I guarantee that it'll be more than "appearance".

Then take those critiques to heart, work sincerely to fix them, and unless you really like your organization, go find another job where you can make a fresh start.

See that's just it, on the grading scale here:

4 = excels in job requirments
3 = exceeds job requirments
2 = meets job requirments
1 = needs improvement
0 = requires immediate change.

I have many 2's and 3's in my evaluation with the only 1 listed in appearance. I'll take your words to heart Rainman and start throwing resumes out there.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:36 PM
See that's just it, on the grading scale here:

4 = excels in job requirments
3 = exceeds job requirments
2 = meets job requirments
1 = needs improvement
0 = requires immediate change.

I have many 2's and 3's in my evaluation with the only 1 listed in appearance. I'll take your words to heart Rainman and start throwing resumes out there.

I think they just know they can have you for cheap and will take advantage of you....

Goodluck on the job search...i have a feeling you will find something better, esp with the experience. id expect mid to upper 30's honestly.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:37 PM

I got side-tracked on the way to her office to help the maintenance man put in a new window. I think I better cool down a little bit before I talk with her, I'm a little fumed about this situation.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:38 PM
Holy shit, 30k??? its not like you are a newb and starting out...you should be making atleast upper 30's

I also work in Hiawatha KS, a small town mentality with small town pay scales:mad:

Pablo
07-16-2008, 02:39 PM
I also work in Hiawatha KS, a small town mentality with small town pay scales:mad:Oohh.. Hiawatha.

Why not drive to St. Joe. I'm sure you could find a little better job here. Or have you tried already?

Frazod
07-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I also work in Hiawatha KS, a small town mentality with small town pay scales:mad:

You should seriously think about relocating to a larger town or city.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:41 PM
Agreed.

I have another theory that might be considered. If it's a Head Start, you may be among the higher-paid people there. If the managers aren't very savvy about math (and there's a reasonable chance of that given their occupation - no offense intended), they may have just said, "Let's give a 30-cent raise across the board", which then means that you're getting a lower percentage when they actually thought they were being fair.

Also, if you are indeed among the higher-paid people, note that people with higher pay levels almost always get lower percentages. I don't know why that's true, but it seems to be a common occurrence.

Since I'm the Net Admin I have access to company salaries and can see what they make. I'm the lowest paid of all dept heads. The executive director of the company is twice paid at what I am.

Time to look for a new position.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM

Listen to rainmans and my advice on the previous page...just handle it proffesionally you are WORTH more than they are paying you, talk about the self worth. Either way i think you need to look for options even if the drive is 30 min or so. Your exp will get you paid much better elsewhere, you'll see

My buddy was doing contract to hire jobs through staffing agency and just got a job in overland park for 65k...you sound like you know as much as he does. It can happen, id make sure you ask for atleast upper 30's

Donger
07-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Since I'm the Net Admin I have access to company salaries and can see what they make. I'm the lowest paid of all dept heads. The executive director of the company is twice paid at what I am.

Time to look for a new position.

The director only makes $60k?

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:43 PM
Oohh.. Hiawatha.

Why not drive to St. Joe. I'm sure you could find a little better job here. Or have you tried already?

It's sooo ironic. I used to live in St. Joe and did IT tech work for a company there. They laid me off because of business slowdown. So, I look all over St Joe and no jobs. This opportunity popped up in Hiawatha so I drove out to check it out. It looked like a decent job and since I was unemployed I needed the money so I took it. I'm single so and renting so I just up and moved out here. I'd love to find a better job in a larger metropolis area.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:44 PM
The director only makes $60k?

Yup

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Yup

Good lord....the director at a place i interviewed at was making 90k in his 3rd year They were going to start me at 40k to do desktop technician stuff

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:49 PM
Good lord....the director at a place i interviewed at was making 90k in his 3rd year

She's been here 5.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Good lord....the director at a place i interviewed at was making 90k in his 3rd year They were going to start me at 40k to do desktop technician stuff

Where'd you apply at Oz?

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Where'd you apply at Oz?

School district in Lees Summit, try looking at school districts they pay pretty good and have solid benefits.

kepp
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Yup

You're probably not underpaid for that company then. You need to find a different gig.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:53 PM
School district in Lees Summit, try looking at school districts they pay pretty good and have solid benefits.

I checked into the St. Joe school district on a whim and found out they use Macs... boo!

wutamess
07-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I checked into the St. Joe school district on a whim and found out they use Macs... boo!

Mostly all school districts use macs.
They're easy to navigate for the lil kids.
The secondary schools have more PC's.

It'd be worth a shot and could only boost your resume.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM

Certain one's do, you can get a mac cert....i know the raytown school dist was looking for a mac proficient guy and starting them at 50k...and possibly paying them to get certified as well. It never hurts to try....trust me

My friend works in the northland school district area and makes 42k as a desktop tech...

I am trying to get jobs like that, and the place i interviewed told me they liked me alot and have to get a pos. approved for me via school board. So i may hear back from them this fall. They hired someone that had more exp than me, which mine is minimal honestly. I was told im on top of the list, and i know i stil have a great shot of getting on due to knowing some contacts, so we'll see. Until then im still looking for local jobs in kc, even contract work if need be to get more exp.

I would take your exp. in a heartbeat.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Certain one's do, you can get a mac cert....i know the raytown school dist was looking for a mac proficient guy and starting them at 50k...and possibly paying them to get certified as well. It never hurts to try....trust me

My friend works in the northland school district area and makes 42k as a desktop tech...

I am trying to get jobs like that, and the place i interviewed told me they liked me alot and have to get a pos. approved for me via school board. So i may hear back from them this fall. They hired someone that had more exp than me, which mine is minimal honestly. I was told im on top of the list, and i know i stil have a great shot of getting on due to knowing some contacts, so we'll see. Until then im still looking for local jobs in kc, even contract work if need be to get more exp.

I would take your exp. in a heartbeat.

That's one thing I do have is Experience. I just need the pay now to compliment it.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 03:02 PM
That's one thing I do have is Experience. I just need the pay now to compliment it.

I am in a more frustrating state than you, i have maybe a year or so of exp and im working on my CIS degree right now, got about a year left. So i have to mention that in the resume. EXP does go a long way, be patient and confident....definetly look around...and update us! Try school districts, credit union/banks as well

HC_Chief
07-16-2008, 03:06 PM
You could definitely pull a lot more than what you're making now. The KC market is actually very strong right now. Server admins with experience and know-how will start anywhere between 60-75K.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 03:07 PM
You could definitely pull a lot more than what you're making now. The KC market is actually very strong right now. Server admins with experience and know-how will start anywhere between 60-75K.

Yes they do....i have a feeling chase will be making some dough real soon, deservingly so

Donger
07-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Yes they do....i have a feeling chase will be making some dough real soon, deservingly so

Unfortunately, his net won't be any different after we all get our cuts.

wutamess
07-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Certain one's do, you can get a mac cert....i know the raytown school dist was looking for a mac proficient guy and starting them at 50k.

Yeah, that's where I'm at now and the new mac hiree is actually pretty cool.

HC_Chief

Yep, that's the way it goes typically. Bust your ass for peanuts for a few years, build up an impressive resume (in terms of experience and empirical expertise), then land a nice paying job. Work the nice paying job for a few then land a better paying consulting gig. Work the better paying consulting gig for a few years then start your own company. Work your ass off once more, but get PAID doing it this time around ;)

Worked for me

Sure-Oz
Unfortunately, his net won't be any different after we all get our cuts.

:evil: Exactly what i was thinking, i expect the payouts to all of us giving advice to be as quick and concise as Christian Okoye's autographs:doh!:

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Yep, that's the way it goes typically. Bust your ass for peanuts for a few years, build up an impressive resume (in terms of experience and empirical expertise), then land a nice paying job. Work the nice paying job for a few then land a better paying consulting gig. Work the better paying consulting gig for a few years then start your own company. Work your ass off once more, but get PAID doing it this time around ;)

Worked for me

Excellent, glad to hear...

I am in the working on landing a nice paying job part :)

teedubya
07-16-2008, 03:16 PM
go to www.salary.com to check up in your area. 30k for what you do is a rip.

Fish
07-16-2008, 03:21 PM

Seriously man.... get some Mac certs and jump on one of those. Mac is growing quite a bit right now, and will continue to grow. It's a great time to get in on Mac certs and find a position.

I've got several Mac certs, and it's really not that difficult. I'd be glad to loan you some books and training material, and give you a rundown on how to pass the tests. You'd be surprised how much a few certs will improve your worth. I've gotten several job offers just by being in the Apple Certification Alliance.

Taco John
07-16-2008, 03:24 PM
A $300 dollar per year raise is a slap in the face.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:24 PM
go to www.salary.com (http://www.salary.com) to check up in your area. 30k for what you do is a rip.

Wow, that site said I should be 65k to 83k.

Simply Red
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
You should seriously think about relocating to a larger town or city.

I've been trying to get his ass to Atlanta, he'd make 60k MINIMUM!!!

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Seriously man.... get some Mac certs and jump on one of those. Mac is growing quite a bit right now, and will continue to grow. It's a great time to get in on Mac certs and find a position.

I've got several Mac certs, and it's really not that difficult. I'd be glad to loan you some books and training material, and give you a rundown on how to pass the tests. You'd be surprised how much a few certs will improve your worth. I've gotten several job offers just by being in the Apple Certification Alliance.

I guess a Mac cert could not hurt me any. It would be an extra plus on my resume.

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Yeah, I know you've been telling me that for awhile. Family is all around here, would hate to be too far away.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
I guess a Mac cert could not hurt me any. It would be an extra plus on my resume.

www.dice.com to start looking...

Simply Red
07-16-2008, 04:27 PM
A $300 dollar per year raise is a slap in the face.

I agree w/ TJ, Chase. R I D I C U L O U S!!!!

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:28 PM
go to www.salary.com (http://www.salary.com) to check up in your area. 30k for what you do is a rip.

Damn, even a Help Desk position is 32k to 42k

chasedude
07-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Well, I took my paperwork into the boss and signed it. She asked me as I walked in the door if I needed to shut it behind me in case of me yelling at her. I know she meant it as a joke but I left it open. I just bit the bullet and said everything was fine that I didn't have any problems with my evaluation. I will take my 1% in stride and start throwing my resume out there. I guess I should be thankful I have a job when so many are without. I just think I'm due for something more.

Sure-Oz
07-16-2008, 05:30 PM
Well, I took my paperwork into the boss and signed it. She asked me as I walked in the door if I needed to shut it behind me in case of me yelling at her. I know she meant it as a joke but I left it open. I just bit the bullet and said everything was fine that I didn't have any problems with my evaluation. I will take my 1% in stride and start throwing my resume out there. I guess I should be thankful I have a job when so many are without. I just think I'm due for something more.

Just get a new job and be more open when you interview about expectations...don't let companies take advantage, if they can have you for cheap they will! You can get another 30k job anywhere honestly...

Craash
07-16-2008, 06:15 PM
chasedude, check your PM's.

Buehler445
07-16-2008, 06:49 PM

I feel your pain dude. I had the "You need to give me a promotion" discussion with my boss. I think I did a pretty good job of not sounding like a moneygrubber and just being ready for more responsibility. I've got way more education than everybody on my responsibility level and its pretty rediculous what I get paid.

They basically said no. SUCKAGE.

I've put my resume out there, but at least in my company, there isn't much out there. With the layoffs people are talking about, its kinda scary.

But I feel your pain with getting paid vastly under your worth.

StcChief
07-16-2008, 06:54 PM
they are likely leveraging their "great" gov't insurance etc which is fine for a family but...

bite your lip update your resume skills make sure what you do is very marketable, if not get some of those cert/training class etc even if they won't pay or your stuck looking for something better. Talk with Slag

BWillie
07-16-2008, 07:02 PM
In my company if you far exceed you can get up to a 10% yearly raise, but they cap you out in your job function after so long. Most people in my position get raises from 2-5% I would imagine. I should be close to the 7-10% range, because I've met & exceeded our "far exceeds" numerical goals, but then again I'm not a corporate suck up so my "behavior" is some what lagging behind my other results. Whatever the hell that means

Hoover
07-16-2008, 08:03 PM
My wife came home yesterday after getting a raise of 9% effin awesome. Usually they are 3-4%

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 08:07 PM
What are you doing now, Hoover? Did you shut down your business?

Hoover
07-16-2008, 08:11 PM
I shut down after the 2006 elections. Took a gig in politics for 2007, and now I'm doing what I did before just on a much smaller scale. I was just sick of working to pay my taxes. This allows me the maximum free time I desire and when we have kids I'll be Mr. Mom this way.

The wife has a great job so we don't want to mess that up.

SBK
07-16-2008, 08:22 PM

Bingo, the whole tech corridor from Atlanta to Raleigh would be perfect for him. Atlanta has a low cost of living, tons of stuff to do, plus it's warm all year round. And you'd make bank.

On a side note, the chicks down here are frickin hot, and there are tons and tons and tons of singles here. :thumb:

Rain Man
07-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Cool. Just curious.

I've had a theory for a while that, if one spouse has a high-potential job, it might be worthwhile for the other spouse to quit and be a "shadow worker". Say your wife has a good chance to move up. If you stayed home and did some of her (non-bar-related) work to increase her volume, would she be viewed as a superstar and get enormous raises that could eventually outearn a two-person household? I think it would only work with a few professions like lawyers and finance types, and probably only in firms where the top end is astronomical, but I think it's an interesting theory.

Hoover
07-16-2008, 10:01 PM
She works for the state so doing anything means she's an over achiever. I got so screwed on taxes last year I'm still bitter. So now I have a couple clients that pay be 1200 a month, in return I do some communications work, consulting. Its not much but I don't have to drive anywhere and I get some great perks. If I want to make more $$$ I simply do a little fundraising. So with the elections I committed to work July, August, September and October. I'll probably be able to bring in 30-40k over that span then screw around November and December.

chasedude
07-17-2008, 07:27 AM
On a side note, the chicks down here are frickin hot, and there are tons and tons and tons of singles here. :thumb:

That's a great perc! This Hiawatha area doesn't have much to offer in that area.

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 08:13 AM
Just put your resume out on Monster, Dice and careerbuilder.com and wait for the phone to ring from recuiters.

Makes sure you list every single piece of software, hardware, application that you have used in the resume. This is essential so that the keyword searches will find you.

chasedude
07-17-2008, 08:36 AM
Just put your resume out on Monster, Dice and careerbuilder.com and wait for the phone to ring from recuiters.

Makes sure you list every single piece of software, hardware, application that you have used in the resume. This is essential so that the keyword searches will find you.

A few years ago I had resumes on those sites and never heard a sing word from anyone. I guess I just gave up on online recruiting. Maybe things have changed since then, and so have I. With more experience under my belt I should be even more marketable by now.

I've been PMing Craash, he says he's looking for someone in his department. He's telling me wage won't be a problem :thumb: That's a good sign!

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 08:45 AM
A few years ago I had resumes on those sites and never heard a sing word from anyone. I guess I just gave up on online recruiting. Maybe things have changed since then, and so have I. With more experience under my belt I should be even more marketable by now.

I've been PMing Craash, he says he's looking for someone in his department. He's telling me wage won't be a problem :thumb: That's a good sign!
PM me your resume if you want to and I'll look at it. Since I changed the format and got feedback from recruiters my hits on the resume went through the roof.

TrebMaxx
07-17-2008, 09:00 AM
Looks like San Fran will have an opening for a network IT position. Money looks good too.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/148427

A network administrator has locked up a multimillion dollar computer system for San Francisco that handles sensitive data and is refusing to give police the password, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Monday.

The employee, 43-year-old Terry Childs, was arrested Sunday. He gave some passwords to police, which did not work, and refused to reveal the real code, the paper reported.

The new FiberWAN (Wide Area Network) handles city payroll files, jail bookings, law enforcement documents and official e-mail for San Francisco. The network is functioning but administrators have little or no access.

Childs, who remains in custody, is accused of improperly tampering with computer systems and causing a denial of service, said Kamala Harris, San Francisco's district attorney, on Monday afternoon.

"The bail has been set at $5 million, and the exposure in this case if he were convicted on all counts would be seven years in prison," Harris said.

Harris said it's unknown why Childs tampered with the system. The Chronicle, however, reported that Childs was disciplined recently for poor performance. Childs worked in the Department of Technology for San Francisco, making close to US$150,000 a year, the paper reported.

City officials told the paper that Childs may have caused millions in damage while also rigging the network so that other third parties could monitor traffic, posing a huge data security risk. He is also alleged to have installed a tracing system to monitor communications related to his personnel case.

chasedude
07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
PM me your resume if you want to and I'll look at it. Since I changed the format and got feedback from recruiters my hits on the resume went through the roof.

I'm going to work on updating it this weekend. I'm really horrible at resumes and the like, just not my cup of tea. I'll forward it on to you as I finish. Any info you can to help make me marketable would help, Thanks BRC!

chasedude
07-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Looks like San Fran will have an opening for a network IT position. Money looks good too.

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/pcworld/148427

A network administrator has locked up a multimillion dollar computer system for San Francisco that handles sensitive data and is refusing to give police the password, the San Francisco Chronicle reported Monday.

The employee, 43-year-old Terry Childs, was arrested Sunday. He gave some passwords to police, which did not work, and refused to reveal the real code, the paper reported.

The new FiberWAN (Wide Area Network) handles city payroll files, jail bookings, law enforcement documents and official e-mail for San Francisco. The network is functioning but administrators have little or no access.

Childs, who remains in custody, is accused of improperly tampering with computer systems and causing a denial of service, said Kamala Harris, San Francisco's district attorney, on Monday afternoon.

"The bail has been set at $5 million, and the exposure in this case if he were convicted on all counts would be seven years in prison," Harris said.

Harris said it's unknown why Childs tampered with the system. The Chronicle, however, reported that Childs was disciplined recently for poor performance. Childs worked in the Department of Technology for San Francisco, making close to US$150,000 a year, the paper reported.

City officials told the paper that Childs may have caused millions in damage while also rigging the network so that other third parties could monitor traffic, posing a huge data security risk. He is also alleged to have installed a tracing system to monitor communications related to his personnel case.

ROFL Yeah I saw that, he's making 127k a year to pull this crap? What an idiot.

ChiTown
07-17-2008, 09:28 AM
ROFL Yeah I saw that, he's making 127k a year to pull this crap? What an idiot.

$127K/yr in San Fran is = to about a little over $50K/yr in Kansas. The cost of living (re: housing) is flat out fuggin ridiculous. My Sister in Law lives in a $1.5MM dump in a San Fran/San Jose suburb. The kitchen is about the size of a moderate Master Bathroom.

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 09:51 AM
I'm going to work on updating it this weekend. I'm really horrible at resumes and the like, just not my cup of tea. I'll forward it on to you as I finish. Any info you can to help make me marketable would help, Thanks BRC!
Here's my keyword list.

Experienced with these Skills:
Operating Systems: Windows (3.1, 95, 98, ME, XP, Vista, NT, 2000 & 2003 (Professional, Server, Enterprise and Exchange)), MSDOS (6.2), UNIX
Hardware: (Ethernet Switches, Bridges, Routers, Gateways, Servers, Hubs, IBM Blade servers, RSA keys, PBX, Bio-Metric Card readers, Video/Sound Cards, PDAs, and Blackberrys)
Protocols: (TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, ATM, WINS, FTP, IPSec, Kerberos, ARP, UDP, NetBIOS, NetBEUI, IPX/SPX, MS-CHAP, MD5-CHAP, Telnet, RADIUS, EAP, PAP, LDAP, L2TP, RAS, SMTP, OSPF, HTTP, POP3, PPTP)
Application Software: Microsoft Office (95, 97, 2000, XP and Vista) Word, Excel, Project, Power Point, Publisher, Access, Outlook, PhotoDraw, Publisher, Windows/Internet Explorer, Binder, Share Point, Net Meeting, Front Page, Visio) Cluster Administrator, Netscape, GroupWise, Heat, Adobe Acrobat, EA, Lotus Notes, Extra Office Client, VPN Dialer, Cisco IP TV viewer, Tivoli, File bound, One point, Cisco Mars, Super Scan, MBSA, Foundstone Tools, Nessus, Safeguard, Hyena, Open Mail, RAS, PeopleSoft, Service Desk, Service Center, On Demand, McAfee Virus Scan, MMS Compass, Enterprise Administrator, Ascend, SMS, MOM, ASI, Actiview, Remedy, P2K, Premiere, RMS+, Dameware, VMWare Virtual Center, ESX Server, GSX client servers, IBM Director, Rapid Deployment Manager, CMITS, <O:p></O:p>
Mainframe (CIS, EPS, FMS, JES, TSO, IMS, InfoMan)
Programming Languages: (SQL, SQL PLUS, PL/SQL, Visual Basic,)
Databases: (SQL 2000, 2005, Oracle (8.0, 8i), Access (97, 2000), Electronic Data Interchange)
Directories: Novell Directory Services (4.11, 5.0, 5.1), Microsoft Active Directory (2000, 2003)

The key word here is "experienced". On some I'm an expert, on some I'm an admin level and on some I'm just basic. The keywords get your resume noticed and pulled but don't BS that you have all this experience in some app or software when you are really basic. That'll get you flagged.

chasedude
07-17-2008, 10:27 AM
$127K/yr in San Fran is = to about a little over $50K/yr in Kansas. The cost of living (re: housing) is flat out fuggin ridiculous. My Sister in Law lives in a $1.5MM dump in a San Fran/San Jose suburb. The kitchen is about the size of a moderate Master Bathroom.

Wow, I didn't realize there was that large of a margin of difference in Cost of Living.

Sure-Oz
07-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Wow, I didn't realize there was that large of a margin of difference in Cost of Living.

Big time, cali is expensive...

My friend is moving to sd after she got a 65k job there, but it is a 33% increase to where she currently is and its a way bigger company with stock options etc. Im sure she'll be making way over 100k in a year or so.

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 10:40 AM
The jobs in St. Louis pay $15-20K more per year for the same job as here in KC but I don't think the cost of living is much higher if at all.

BigRedChief
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM
Wall Street Journal: the decling value of a college education:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121623686919059307.html?mod=yhoofront

StcChief
07-17-2008, 11:27 AM
Bingo, the whole tech corridor from Atlanta to Raleigh would be perfect for him. Atlanta has a low cost of living, tons of stuff to do, plus it's warm all year round. And you'd make bank.

but without a bike your screwed. Chicks love bikes /midnite cowboy

chasedude
07-17-2008, 12:16 PM
Wall Street Journal: the decling value of a college education:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB121623686919059307.html?mod=yhoofront

Heh... yet the cost of getting one is going up.