PDA

View Full Version : Misc Speeding Ticket

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 06:43 AM
I got pulled over the other week, more like walked over since he was standing in the street waving me over. The officer said I was doing 51 in a 35. I explained politely that I was almost positive it was 45 through that stretch, which is true and I think he honestly believed I thought it was 45 through there. He comes back with the ticket and advises that he's cutting me some slack and is only writing me up for doing 40 in a 35.

I got the fine in the mail the other day and its $93.50! I'm 32 and this is the first speeding ticket I've ever had. Is $93.50 the going rate for a ticket that states I was going 5 mph over?

petegz28
07-17-2008, 06:45 AM
I got pulled over the other week, more like walked over since he was standing in the street waving me over. The officer said I was doing 51 in a 35. I explained politely that I was almost positive it was 45 through that stretch, which is true and I think he honestly believed I thought it was 45 through there. He comes back with the ticket and advises that he's cutting me some slack and is only writing me up for doing 40 in a 35.

I got the fine in the mail the other day and its $93.50! I'm 32 and this is the first speeding ticket I've ever had. Is $93.50 the going rate for a ticket that states I was going 5 mph over?

Don't matter. Pay it or you are screwed. Age and # of tickets are irrelevant.

seclark
07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
was it just speeding, or careless and imprudent?
sec

chief52
07-17-2008, 06:47 AM
Obviously you have sped many other times and gotten away with it. Pay the fine and move along...no big deal.

Dartgod
07-17-2008, 06:48 AM
Were you on a motorcycle?

F'ing pigs!

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 06:49 AM
I know age and number of tickets are irrelevant to the cost of a fine, I was just pointing out that I have nothing to compare the cost of this ticket to tickets I've recieved in the past.

chasedude
What would the fine have been if he stuck you with the 51mph? I know there's a scale to it but all cities / municipalities are different.

Skip Towne
Sounds like a money grab.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 06:51 AM
was it just speeding, or careless and imprudent?
sec

I guess I'm not sure. I'm looking at the ticket and it doesn't say. Is there a difference?

KCChiefsMan
07-17-2008, 06:53 AM
in March, I got a speeding ticket in Oklahoma for going 80 in a 70 and it was $183

Bugeater
07-17-2008, 07:01 AM
I haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 20 years so I have no idea but I've heard the fines for them are pretty steep these days. Here in Nebraska if you have no other tickets on your record you can take a driving class to get the ticket dismissed, you may want to check and see if you can do something like that. It will still cost you some $ but you won't have it on your record.

blueballs
07-17-2008, 07:03 AM
the donuts aren't going to fill themselves with jelly
it takes skilled hands

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:05 AM
I haven't had a speeding ticket in almost 20 years so I have no idea but I've heard the fines for them are pretty steep these days. Here in Nebraska if you have no other tickets on your record you can take a driving class to get the ticket dismissed, you may want to check and see if you can do something like that. It will still cost you some $ but you won't have it on your record.

Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think 5 over goes on your record in Missouri, although I could be wrong.

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:08 AM

Does that amount include court costs?

DaKCMan AP
07-17-2008, 07:09 AM
I got pulled over once on the 4th of July a couple of years ago by a FHP for going 88 in a 70mph zone. He let me off with a warning.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:11 AM
Does that amount include court costs?

Be nice if they itemized the cost if so. It just states the fine and what it will be if its late. I'm not sure how court cost factor in when I'm not going to court over it.

Skip Towne
07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Be nice if they itemized the cost if so. It just states the fine and what it will be if its late. I'm not sure how court cost factor in when I'm not going to court over it.

Most of them charge court costs whether you go to court or not.

Bugeater
07-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Again, I don't know for sure how things work in MO but here you pay court costs whether you go to court or not, it's just another way to squeeze a few more bucks out of you. I'm guessing it's figured in already.

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:20 AM
Most of them charge court costs whether you go to court or not.

Yep. What court is it?

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:22 AM
Yep. What court is it?

16th Judicial Circuit Court of Missouri Kansas City, Muni Division.

seclark
07-17-2008, 07:28 AM
I guess I'm not sure. I'm looking at the ticket and it doesn't say. Is there a difference?

yes...more points against you.

about 25years ago i got pulled over and ticketed for going too fast (can't remember actual speed) in a 20mph speed zone. it was in a state park. county cop wrote the ticket.

couple months later, my wife was checking into changing auto insurance. none of the companies wanted to insure us, or wanted us to pay more than what we were currently paying. they said i had a careless and imprudent on my record. i called the county office where i got the ticket and they confirmed that yes, i did get a c&i.

since it was a park(although it was the middle of winter and the park was empty), they gave me the c&i, instead of speeding. i had no idea at the time.

i'd assume it would work the same around shools, etc.
sec

RNR
07-17-2008, 07:30 AM

Here in Kansas I have heard you can pay an extra fee and it does not go on your record. I thought cool legal bribes :rolleyes: Although if I ever get another ticket I might use it.

dj56dt58
07-17-2008, 07:30 AM
Cool. Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think 5 over goes on your record in Missouri, although I could be wrong.

correct..

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:32 AM
16th Judicial Circuit Court of Missouri Kansas City, Muni Division.

Okay, I can't offer you any further insight as they seem to change their policies about every month and I haven't tried to keep up since I moved out here.

I will say that in my jurisdiction, speeding 40 in a 35 is a $30 fine plus $75 court costs, so a total of $105.

RNR
07-17-2008, 07:35 AM
Okay, I can't offer you any further insight as they seem to change their policies about every month and I haven't tried to keep up since I moved out here.

I will say that in my jurisdiction, speeding 40 in a 35 is a $30 fine plus $75 court costs, so a total of $105.

Are you a cop in Dodge City?

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Here in Kansas I have heard you can pay an extra fee and it does not go on your record. I thought cool legal bribes :rolleyes: Although if I ever get another ticket I might use it.

It's up to the jurisdiction, but most do it. If it's a city court, call the clerk and tell them you are interested in a traffic "amendment", you'll pay 2x the fine and they'll change the charge to illegal parking or something that doesn't go on your driving record.

County courts usually do diversions. Pay the fine + a diversion fee and don't get any more tickets for 6 months and they dismiss the charge.

There are all kinds of variations on this depending on the court and the prosecutor.

Since the charge goes on your record here in KS for 3 years, it is usually worth it in insurance $ to go ahead and keep it off your record. There are policies that will "let you get one ticket" without it impacting your rates, but then you are taking a chance that you won't get ticket #2 and they may have a clause that 2 tickets really kicks up the rate.

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:37 AM
Are you a cop in Dodge City?

prosecutor

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:41 AM

Thanks. That's what I was looking for.

Skip Towne
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
prosecutor

How is the job going? Is it what you thought it would be?

Redrum_69
07-17-2008, 07:42 AM
your mom is like a speeding ticket....

bkkcoh
07-17-2008, 07:43 AM

I would rather them tax the people that speed then tax the majority of the public. :thumb:

Cops are there only to raise revenue and fill out crime reports, they aren't there to Protect and Serve

Chief Chief
07-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Fight it out in court!

The cop wrote you up for doing 40 MPH so gather and show proof/evidence that you were in a 45MPH zone. The defense rests. Verdict: Not guilty. Case closed!

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:52 AM
How is the job going? Is it what you thought it would be?

The job is great. The town blows.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Fight it out in court!

The cop wrote you up for doing 40 MPH so gather and show proof/evidence that you were in a 45MPH zone. The defense rests. Verdict: Not guilty. Case closed!

I'm guessing they recently changed that area from 45 to 35 (I drive through there all the time) hence the speed trap that was set.

banyon
07-17-2008, 07:57 AM
Fight it out in court!

Maybe. That court is kind of a circus though.

Given these facts, though, if you roll in with photos and a map or too and ambush them, it might work. Depends a lot on the judge.

Phobia
07-17-2008, 08:00 AM
I got a pathetic ticket recently. Turned a corner, saw the cruiser, verified speed @ 35.

Pulled over 2 miles later - he said speed limit was 25. I had no clue.
$120

markk
07-17-2008, 08:03 AM
More than 15mph over is a much greater fine.

$100 is pretty cheap for a speeding ticket around these parts.

RockChalk
07-17-2008, 08:09 AM

Wow, 32 and this is your first speeding ticket?

I would say that the amount is pretty standard. My first speeding ticket was when I was 18 driving back from the Lake of the Ozarks. Got pulled over for doing 96 in a 65 by highway patrol outside of Lone Jack. I think I ended up paying somewhere around $550 with the doubling, lawyer fees, etc. to keep that baby off of my record.

Old Dog
07-17-2008, 09:02 AM
I had no idea that speeding tickets were so expensive.

smittysbar
07-17-2008, 10:36 AM
I would rather them tax the people that speed then tax the majority of the public. :thumb:

Cops are there only to raise revenue and fill out crime reports, they aren't there to Protect and Serve

Remember that if you ever need help........:shake:

Sure-Oz
07-17-2008, 10:39 AM
I'd say thats normal, try getting a ****ing improperly place license plate ticket from lake tapawingo (actually i was on a bs road and a few min from home) and the cop pulled me over way after and the ticket was $95 for that. KC i got pulled over once for that same thing and it was $30. I hate lake tapawingo, they got cops sitting by their gates busting people on a blue springs road.....i dont see how that works?! I heard they cant do anything to you on hte other side of the street....gay

El Jefe
07-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Were you on a motorcycle?

F'ing pigs!

Even after all the posts like this one, it still cracks me up.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 11:00 AM
I'd say thats normal, try getting a ****ing improperly place license plate ticket from lake tapawingo (actually i was on a bs road and a few min from home) and the cop pulled me over way after and the ticket was $95 for that. KC i got pulled over once for that same thing and it was $30. I hate lake tapawingo, they got cops sitting by their gates busting people on a blue springs road.....i dont see how that works?! I heard they cant do anything to you on hte other side of the street....gay

I grew up in a small town and if you didn't drive a truck and smuggle plums in your Wranglers you got steadily messed with by the police, thats why I rarely speed. Few things frighten me more than half-brains, with deep rooted insecurities, equipted with weapons, authority, and have more time than money. I've lived in inner KC for over 10 years and thats the first time I've ever been pulled over.

Sure-Oz
07-17-2008, 11:08 AM
I grew up in a small town and if you didn't drive a truck and smuggle plums in your Wranglers you got steadily messed with by the police, thats why I rarely speed. Few things frighten me more than half-brains, with deep rooted insecurities, equipted with weapons, authority, and have more time than money. I've lived in inner KC for over 10 years and thats the first time I've ever been pulled over.

I just think its wrong that lake tapawingo (which is a mini community inside of BS, MO, that is for rich folk) They have their own police dept which is like 3 people, its absolutely ridiculous that they dont stay in their own place and just sit and wait to bust people on a road that is next to the entrance of LT, which is main road on blue springs. What a load of shit... i hate it, everyone that lives in bs or around there knows what im talking about

Chiefnj2
07-17-2008, 11:15 AM
If he was standing in the street how was he able to clock your speed?

Skip Towne
07-17-2008, 11:16 AM
I'm to the point I don't want to drive anymore. And my tag light works and there are no cracks in my windshield. But I'm sure they can find a reason to stop me.

Bugeater
07-17-2008, 11:19 AM
Hand-held radar gun, or another officer may have clocked him.

I'm to the point I don't want to drive anymore. And my tag light works and there are no cracks in my windshield. But I'm sure they can find a reason to stop me.

Good grief, are the police that bad in Tulsa?

Skip Towne
07-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Hand-held radar gun, or another officer may have clocked him.

Good grief, are the police that bad in Tulsa?

It's not the Tulsa cops. It s the cops in the suburb I live in. The county cops never bother anybody.

KCUnited
07-17-2008, 11:22 AM

I was exiting off I-35 onto Broadway going South. It's a left hand exit with a long merge before you get to Broadway. He had his car parked up a little on Broadway on the side of the road. He was standing in front of his car with the gun pointed North down the merge area. Once I got to Broadway he just walked out in front of me and waved me over. I thought there was some giant accident ahead and he was directing traffic.

Micjones
07-17-2008, 11:29 AM
It pays to do the posted limits.
Tickets are outrageous these days.

My last ticket was $150. I couldn't make my scheduled court appearance because of inclement weather and 3 days later I received a letter that my fine had been doubled. I wound up paying the City of Leavenworth $300. All for a driving too fast for conditions ticket (the cop paced me) in November on a clear night with no snow or ice on the ground. Thanks!

CoMoChief
07-17-2008, 11:33 AM
If this is the first and only one you have received, then pay the fine and be done with it. Don't get a lawyer that will cost you double. If you never get pulled over, then points on a license won't be an issue.

Sure-Oz
My gf was driving I-35 N on mothers day last year and was heading to her parents lakehouse to meet them for dinner, when on the opposite side of the hwy a cop i guess radared her and came across the grass and rode her ass like 10 min later and pulled her over for doing 80 in a 70, gave her a ticket. I'd say thats a bit extreme imo...i was pretty pissed to hear when she got home later that night that she got a ticket like that, funny thing was she said she was doing probably 75, she never speeds!

Im not a fan of most po po

Sure-Oz
If this is the first and only one you have received, then pay the fine and be done with it. Don't get a lawyer that will cost you double. If you never get pulled over, then points on a license won't be an issue.

Exaclty, just pay it and done...

Micjones
07-17-2008, 11:39 AM
My gf was driving I-35 N on mothers day last year and was heading to her parents lakehouse to meet them for dinner, when on the opposite side of the hwy a cop i guess radared her and came across the grass and rode her ass like 10 min later and pulled her over for doing 80 in a 70, gave her a ticket. I'd say thats a bit extreme imo...i was pretty pissed to hear when she got home later that night that she got a ticket like that, funny thing was she said she was doing probably 75, she never speeds!

Im not a fan of most po po

That happened to me once in Liberty. Damn cop was driving the opposite direction on the highway and came across to pull me over.

Sure-Oz
07-17-2008, 11:42 AM
That happened to me once in Liberty. Damn cop was driving the opposite direction on the highway and came across to pull me over.
That sucks, ive never had that happen, knock on wood, all i know is 152 always has check points and cops sitting under bridges or bikes...

NKC loves to pull over people and give them tickets...