PDA

View Full Version : Life Moving to Planet Hooston

chagrin
07-21-2008, 11:57 AM
So, in two weeks I am moving to NW Houston, Texas. It seems like a pretty cool city, 5th largest market or close to it I think? The downtown area is pretty impressive in size and the Highway system is as much a cluster **** as Dallas, looks like too, heh. Other than claythan does anyone else here live in Houston?
This makes it much easier to get to KC I think, or does it, not sure; I'd like to go to the bash this year so I hope it's closer than Florida. Anyways, what do any of you have to say about Houston...been there?

CoMoChief
07-21-2008, 12:01 PM
Houston is a cool city.

There are a lot of bums from Louisiana over there from Katrina though.

penguinz
07-21-2008, 12:02 PM
Is Houston still one of the most polluted cities in the US?

chagrin
07-21-2008, 12:04 PM
Houston is a cool city.

There are a lot of bums from Louisiana over there from Katrina though.

Yes, and here in Orlando as well. From what I gather though, they don't dwell in the NW part, where I will be living...at least in great numbers. I have done some research and my area is much lower in crime, etc hen many other parts of the city, so I don't really worry about that - however you have a point and I do feel it's a concern, I have seen what's happened to Central Florida over the past 2 years, thankfully Houston is much larger.

StcChief
07-21-2008, 12:07 PM
Stay away from ship canal stink hole... the east side of town really blows.

Gavelston despite the murky water end of Gulf is ok.

Humidity like FLA. too much traffic and insurance for cars $$$$.

Good Luck, you'll need it.

chagrin
07-21-2008, 12:08 PM
Is Houston still one of the most polluted cities in the US?

It's actually Baytown and Huntsville, and they are not exactly "next door" to Houston itself. The other 8 are California, which is LOL funny considering how fuggin pretentious those dicknoses are.

chagrin
07-21-2008, 12:09 PM
Stay away from ship canal stink hole... the east side of town really blows.

Gavelston despite the murky water end of Gulf is ok.

Humidity like FLA. too much traffic and insurance for cars $$$$.

Good Luck, you'll need it.

I have never seen or been to Galveston, what's the deal with the water?

StcChief
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
I have never seen or been to Galveston, what's the deal with the water?

it's like back water look at a map of gulf of mexico, Houston ...stuff collects their it seems....gray beaches. Seems to clear up some going tword Padre Island.... or over to Pt.Aurther

Maybe different now... I haven't been there since consulting in 1992...

probably worse. who knows. The refineries on ship canal maybe dumping it's up stream to gulf.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 12:15 PM
FRIENDS...FOREVER.....

FAX
07-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Please accept my most sincere condolences, Mr. chagrin.

FAX

StcChief
07-21-2008, 12:18 PM
FRIENDS...FOREVER.....
yes you can hide in NW Hooston stay away ChagrinROFL

Phobia
07-21-2008, 12:23 PM
I spent a decade in Houston. I don't think I'd go back. If you're on the NW side then you'll be out nearly Cypress - 249/290 area. That's probably better than elsewhere. The further from the heart of the city you can get the better, IMO. Commuting is really rough there. Figure at least an hour no matter how far you are the freeways will be gridlock.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 12:26 PM
I spent a decade in Houston. I don't think I'd go back.

Wow, from Houston to Greenwood MO. Thats quite a change.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:27 PM
Houston ranks at the top if my list of cities that I'd rather not ever go back to, especially June through August.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 12:31 PM
But seriously, when you get here bump this thread and I'll post a list of my favorite restaurants in NW Houston.

StcChief
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, from Houston to Greenwood MO. Thats quite a change.much for the better I'm sure.

Good God Hooston sucks may NW suburbs are ok?

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
But seriously, when you get here bump this thread and I'll post a list of my favorite restaurants in NW Houston.

You go to "The Boat," don't you.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 12:36 PM

Are you talking about that fish place? I've never been there but I hear it's good.

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM
I've heard that you basically sweat non-stop for 5 months out of the year.

Phobia
07-21-2008, 12:39 PM

Best oysters around. I've never eaten anything else there.

Phobia
07-21-2008, 12:40 PM
Nah - you get used to it. But golfing and softball require Gold Bond application early and often.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Are you talking about that fish place? I've never been there but I hear it's good.

I can never remember the name of it, but it's built like a shipwrecked boat that's tipped up at a angle. All the cooks are in the middle and there's a U-shaped bar for seating. It's mostly fried seafood and is always packed. It's also REALLY inexpensive.

It's off 1960, close to Falcon.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:41 PM
Best oysters around. I've never eaten anything else there.

Do you know the name of it?

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 12:42 PM
I can never remember the name of it, but it's built like a shipwrecked boat that's tipped up at a angle. All the cooks are in the middle and there's a U-shaped bar for seating. It's mostly fried seafood and is always packed. It's also REALLY inexpensive.

Yeah that's the one. I'm not really a huge seafood fan to be honest.

Phobia
07-21-2008, 12:42 PM

There are several of them around town. The one you're talking about is 1960 and Jones. There's a really good Indian place in the strip mall across the street from there.

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 12:44 PM
So for those of you that don't like Houston, what's so bad about it? Is it just the traffic? I had heard it was disgustingly hot and humid for about half the year, but Phobia says that's not the case, so what's that problem?

I'm currently scouting out potential cities to move to after I graduate this spring, and Houston was one of my top choices based on the weather, size, low cost of living, etc.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:45 PM
There are several of them around town. The one you're talking about is 1960 and Jones. There's a really good Indian place in the strip mall across the street from there.

Aha, found it:

Captain Tom's Seafood & Oyster Bar
9651 FM 1960 Rd W

Rooster
07-21-2008, 12:46 PM
Houston is the fourth most populous city in the nation (trailing only New York, Los Angeles and Chicago), and is the largest in the southern U.S. and Texas.

Founded in 1836, the City of Houston has a population of 1.9 million.
Houston metro area's population of 4.8 million is 10th largest among U.S. metropolitan statistical areas.

Houston has professional teams representing every major sport.

More than 38 million people each year fly in and out of Houston's two major airports: Bush Intercontinental and William P. Hobby.

Houstonians eat out more than residents of any other city. Houston has more than 11,000 restaurants.

Houston has a Theater District second only to New York City in terms of a concentration of seats in a single geographic area. Located downtown, the 17-block Theater District is home to eight performing arts organizations with more than 12,000 seats.

Houston has a unique museum district offering a range of museums, galleries, art and cultural institutions, including the Houston's major museums.

Houston has more than 500 cultural, visual and performing arts organizations, 90 of which are devoted to multicultural and minority arts.

Houston has a young population; 37 percent of Houstonians are 24 years old or younger and 34 percent are between the ages of 25 and 44.

Houston boasts more than 40 colleges, university and institutions - offering higher education options to suit all interests.

Houston is home to the Texas Medical Center, the largest medical center in the world, with a local economic impact of $10 billion. More than 52,000 people work within its facilities, which encompass 21 million square feet. Altogether 4.8 million patients visit them each year.

Home to 18 Fortune 500 companies and more than 5,000 energy related firms, Houston is considered by many as the Energy Capital of the world. Companies headquarted in Houston include Halliburton, ConocoPhillips, Marathon Oil Corp and Dynegy.

The Port of Houston ranks as the nation's largest port in international tonnage and second in total tonnage.

Houston has the most affordable housing of 10 most populated metropolitan areas; Houston housing costs are 39 percent below the average of 26 U.S. urban populations of more than 1.5 million.

Houston has the second lowest cost of living among major American cities

http://www.houston.com/facts/

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:48 PM
So for those of you that don't like Houston, what's so bad about it? Is it just the traffic? I had heard it was disgustingly hot and humid for about half the year, but Phobia says that's not the case, so what's that problem?

I'm currently scouting out potential cities to move to after I graduate this spring, and Houston was one of my top choices based on the weather, size, low cost of living, etc.

I hate being hot, especially when it's humid, so yes the weather is nasty in the summer.

It's massive. I guess it wouldn't be that big a deal if you hung out in one part of town mostly. Traffic is heavy and Texans drive like crazy people.

It's dirty. It's flat. It's ugly.

Phobia
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM

It's mostly traffic and pollution that would keep me away. The city amenities are numerous and adequate for a city of that size.

The heat and humidity is a problem for tourists, naturally but you get used to it if you live there - especially if you're the active outdoor type.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 12:50 PM

True, but Nov-Feb while you guys up north are dealing with the cold, snow and ice, we Texans are enjoying the sunshine, mild 70-80s temps and flips flops of course.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 12:51 PM
Texans drive like crazy people.

Not in my experience.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
Not in my experience.

You don't count. In all honesty, it's not really that bad compared to say LA.

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 12:52 PM
True, but Nov-Feb while you guys up north are dealing with the cold, snow and ice, we Texans are enjoying the sunshine, mild 70-80s temps and flips flops of course.

Good point. I just moved to Nashville last August after living in KC my entire life, and I love the southern weather and not having to deal with a real winter.

Donger
07-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Good point. I just moved to Nashville last August after living in KC my entire life, and I love the southern weather and not having to deal with a real winter.

If you move there, grab some popcorn and go watch the bumper cars during the first "ice storm." Dallas is even worse.

FAX
07-21-2008, 12:55 PM

I didn't know you lived in Nashville, Mr. eazyb81. Or, if I did, I must have forgotten. We should find a good place to watch Chiefs games and knock down cool ones. What section of town is your primary residence?

FAX

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't know you lived in Nashville, Mr. eazyb81. Or, if I did, I must have forgotten. We should find a good place to watch Chiefs games and knock down cool ones. What section of town is your primary residence?

FAX

I live right across the street from the Vanderbilt campus. I watched a few games downtown last year and a couple at some local bars near the campus, but don't have an "official" spot yet. You?

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 12:58 PM
If you move there, grab some popcorn and go watch the bumper cars during the first "ice storm." Dallas is even worse.

Yeah, the one time it "snowed" here last winter (it was melting the second it hit the ground....) people went into full-blown panic mode. It was pretty damn funny.

FAX
07-21-2008, 12:59 PM

You obviously know this town well, Mr. Donger. Some time ago, I posted a brief account of the suburban lemmings driving off a hill near Brentwood during the last really bad ice storm. They took turns launching themselves off the hill in order to crash into trees and cars and rocks and stuff. It was as though a kind of group madness had set in. Awesome in its sustained cognitive dissonance.

FAX

Donger
07-21-2008, 01:01 PM
You obviously know this town well, Mr. Donger. Some time ago, I posted a brief account of the suburban lemmings driving off a hill near Brentwood during the last really bad ice storm. They took turns launching themselves off the hill in order to crash into trees and cars and rocks and stuff. It was as though a kind of group madness had set in. Awesome in its sustained cognitive dissonance.

FAX

This is almost as funny. It's Portland, OR, I think.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCoxOReXlHI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCoxOReXlHI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

FAX
07-21-2008, 01:02 PM
I live right across the street from the Vanderbilt campus. I watched a few games downtown last year and a couple at some local bars near the campus, but don't have an "official" spot yet. You?

No, I don't. I used to watch games at a place in Green Hills, but I think they tore that bar down and put up a clothing store. After that, I retreated and just watch the ones they broadcast at home and/or wait for my tapes to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

If you're interested, I'll find somewhere. I haven't gone to the trouble because there are so few Chiefs fans here, it's no fun. I don't like being the only Chiefs fan in a room full of Titan knuckleheads. They throw stuff.

FAX

FAX
07-21-2008, 01:04 PM

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCoxOReXlHI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YCoxOReXlHI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I observed this episode for about an hour and stopped counting idiots after about 30 cars, or so. At first it was funny, then it became extraordinarily sad. You kind of felt bad for the moms with kids in the car as they screamed "Mommy don't!!!" just as she launched them into the abyss.

FAX

CoMoChief
07-21-2008, 01:10 PM

I had a friend that went to Belmont Univ and played soccer there. Nashville is a cool city. We went to this bar called the Tin Roof and it was one of the funnest bars I've ever been too. It was just different I dunno.

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 01:14 PM
I had a friend that went to Belmont Univ and played soccer there. Nashville is a cool city. We went to this bar called the Tin Roof and it was one of the funnest bars I've ever been too. It was just different I dunno.

Tin Roof is awesome, I just went there last weekend. The whole row of bars on Demonbreun Street make for a good time.

Overall Nashville is a pretty cool city, I've enjoyed my time here so far.

eazyb81
07-21-2008, 01:16 PM
No, I don't. I used to watch games at a place in Green Hills, but I think they tore that bar down and put up a clothing store. After that, I retreated and just watch the ones they broadcast at home and/or wait for my tapes to arrive on Wednesday or Thursday.

If you're interested, I'll find somewhere. I haven't gone to the trouble because there are so few Chiefs fans here, it's no fun. I don't like being the only Chiefs fan in a room full of Titan knuckleheads. They throw stuff.

FAX

That would be cool, we may have to do that this season. It seems like the Titans always play the same time as the Chiefs, so we never get KC games on regular cable.

Portlantis
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM

I'd believe it. It only snows about three times a year here, so people really don't know how to deal with it when it does.

Hydrae
07-21-2008, 01:39 PM

KING tv I believe is Seattle but the whole NW would react this way to snow (the western parts at least, the eastern parts get a lot of snow).

JimNasium
07-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I'd much rather be hot than cold. You should fit right in as there are some similarities to NOLA.

chagrin
07-21-2008, 06:14 PM
I spent a decade in Houston. I don't think I'd go back. If you're on the NW side then you'll be out nearly Cypress - 249/290 area. That's probably better than elsewhere. The further from the heart of the city you can get the better, IMO. Commuting is really rough there. Figure at least an hour no matter how far you are the freeways will be gridlock.

Cypress is excatly where I will be, good to know

chagrin
07-21-2008, 06:15 PM

you see where I live now right? And I grew up in sticky Louisiana

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 06:16 PM
Cypress is excatly where I will be, good to know

Hahaha. Do you have any idea how close we're going to be?

Geographically speaking, I mean.

:D

If you give me crossroads I can be more specific. lol

chagrin
07-21-2008, 06:17 PM

I have seen that place, on the way from Hobby to my new home, it is always packed

chagrin
07-21-2008, 06:21 PM
Hahaha. Do you have any idea how close we're going to be?

Geographically speaking, I mean.

:D

If you give me crossroads I can be more specific. lol

umm, I'll make sure to get back with you on that...yeah

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 06:22 PM
umm, I'll make sure to get back with you on that...yeah

Dude, I'm not stalking you. Tell me your crossroads. We could be neighbors. Someone new just moved in next door.

BigOlChiefsfan
07-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I lived in Houston for 5 years, and my best advice is 'live near your office'. Commuting isn't much fun there, the road system is a bigass wagonwheel and the spokes get crowded - the 'circles' are no day at the beach either. Not even a day at Galveston.

Now it's been 10 years or more since I left, my info may be out of date.

Best thing about Texas? Texas women. Count your blessings, and tip your hat. Buy some sunglasses and enjoy the view.
There are a lot of nice, cheap restaurants. The old 59 diner was near me and I really liked it. The Khyber Grill at Kirby/Westheimer and tons of other great Indian food, good Lebanese nearby as well. And Mexican food that wasn't just TexMex, there's a lot of central american stuff/Oxahacan and so on. Cuban food was pretty good IMHO but if you're coming from Florida it might not suit. Great Vietnamese sandwich joints, Chinese restaurants have AWESOME shrimp, and there are plenty of cool Asian grocery stores (Funky like a monkey, but fun to go look at the weirdo swimming soon-to-be-dinner seafodd).
Spec's Liquor has some excellent liquor selection (esp. good port, downtown). There's an REI store and IKEA, both of which I miss up here. You can get mo' bettah cajun food than you'll find most anywhere else, a lot of cajuns like Houston but think NOLA is bad luck. Hobby Airport, God Bless it, is designed to get you out of town asap, on your way to Dallas or Austin or NOLA. Other than that, go north to the Continental hub, which is no longer Intercontinetal but I can't recall the name.
River Oaks. Old money. Go drive thru this slowly when the flowers are in bloom - and during Christmas. I never saw anything quite like it, Mission Hills is nice but these guys have more and cheaper lawn care. They know where to drive slowly and get the cheap help.
Lots of good music. The Continental Club will rock, and check out the Mucky Duck bar, near 59 and Kirby, a lot of Irish bands and good Texas singer/songwriters (who can make a living in Texas even if they never get played on Young Country radio stations).
Carter Country is a sporting goods store that had some good deals on guns, if you like firearms (I do) there's a bimonthy gun show up in Conroe and a HUGE gunshow in Houston once a year. Lots of nice rifle ranges.
Nice park SxSW of town called Brazos Bend. It's an alligator/snake/bird refuge. As in, you walk around on causeways to look at the birds and when it's time to walk back there may be 30 gators laying on the causeway.
Galveston is interesting, the Strand reminds me of the French Quarter - and the beach is nice at night, the moon on the (admittedly funky) water looks fine. The older parts of Galveston have curbs about 3 feet high - when it rains, the streets become rivers. This happens to some extent in Houston as well, but Galveston takes it seriously after the big storm of 1904 - when pretty much everyone who lived there died and they had to raise the island w/barge loads of new sand. (Sadly, there must have been a bunch of ancestoral crackwhores hiding in that sand, because Galveston sure was a funky little town if you got off the beaten path. Have fun, but mind your bidness.)
Brennan's. The Brennan family are some of the best restauranteurs in the country, they sold off their family restaurant in New Orleans but kept the one in Houston. Save your nickels and go there. Trust me. Ask them where to eat in New Orleans, the family runs some of my fave NOLA eateries. Umgood.
Shiner Bock was the beer du jour when I lived there, but there's plenty of other good local brews if you like beer. St. Arnolds brown ale was tasty - I'm just not a brown ale man.
Austin is only a few hours drive away. Go on 'backroads' thru La Grange and Bastrop, Texas is pretty as hell off the interstates. Eat at the original Threadgills in Austin at least once, and go look at the college girls on 6th street once for me. Texas college girls are right up there with Yellowstone Park in terms of National Scenic Treasures.

Things I didn't like. Eau de (ship) Chanel, it can get a mite funky when the winds in the east. Smells like money and all that...money that someone's been hiding up their butt in a Mexican prison.
If you drive a pickup and slow down in certain neighborhoods, illegal aliens will jump in the back of your truck assuming you want them to dig a ditch or something. You think I'm fooling...I'm not. But hey, cheap lawncare!
Winos and oddballs will migrate there every winter, there's a park near downtown that was donated to the city with express instructions that no one ever get bounced (the donor had evidently had a bad night or two as a poor but honest worker in the 19th century). They will congregate under highway overpasses and mooch, tho' they're far more polite since Texas passed their CCW laws. They don't stay in the summer, tho. Why? Summer sucks in Houston. Get anything that needs doing outdoors done by 9 am, or go drive slow thru seedy neighborhoods until you snag a load of illegal aliens to do the job for you. Stay in the AC the rest of the time. If you want to work out, join a gym so you don't melt into a pool of butter.
If you like to hunt, then you'll have to pay to do it in Texas. Texas has very little public land, so there's no 'free' areas to hunt, but you can lease hunting rights with your buddies. OR just fly to Missouri/Kansas and pay out of state fees to deer hunt - lots cheaper and the deer are bigger.
There is no zoning in Houston. There will be McMansions next door to crack houses. You drive thru crack house zones to get from 'nice area A' to 'nice area B' and you really shouldn't stop the car. This applies to Galveston as well. Sad, but true. I bought more handguns while I lived there...felt like I might need 'em.
The local newpaper is full of whiney bleeding hearts, I worked with a bunch of former Chronic(le) retreads, and they didn't quit whining when their job ended. Whiney bitches are pretty common everywhere, but having a clump of them write the paper every day seems to piss off the rest of the city. From what I saw, if you work for the Chronic(le) don't admit it off campus, the local yokels might beat you to death as an example.
There are no basements. If a tornado should hit town, kiss your assets goodbye. The houses are all 'on slab' and the slabs all crack on the 'gumbo' local soil as it moves around. It pays to buy an older house that's had the slab repaired -seriously.
There is no insulation, and pipes will freeze and burst all over town at 35 degrees. Houston will turn into a madhouse at any hint of cold weather, much less snow.
Weather can get bad. Prepare a 'storm kit' if you haven't got one from florida, water for 7 days, candles, cans of beans and tuna, instant coffee and some sterno. Figure out how to escape a hurricane NOW without going on the interstate - they tend to clog and everyone just runs out of gas around Huntsville. Get a GPS and a map.
It will rain like a cow peeing on a flat rock, and then it floods like you won't believe until you see it. Do not live near the bayou (pronouced Bay-oh in Houston, if nowhere else) for this reason - and because of the snakes and gators. Be aware that there are some underpasses on the interstates that fill with 10 feet of water at the drop of a hat, and people drown on I-10 if they don't pay attention. So pay attention.
All locals give directions from exits off the various interstates, "exit off 59 at #31, get on the feeder (frontage road) and take a U asap then go towards downtown". It's flat as hell, so they give directions towards skyscrapers, there are 3 or 4 zones of tall buildings in town and you'll soon learn to home in on 'em. Be aware that 4wd vehicles and clunker pickups will exit a clogged freeway to continue down the 'feeder' road, often at 50 mph, thru the ditch and over the curbs. (I'd never buy a used 4wd or clunker pickup in Houston for this reason...but the old Mercedes are a different story)

I really had a good time in Houston, considering. Mind your manners, drive friendly and you'll have a great time, too.

RibKing67
07-21-2008, 09:02 PM
I lived in H-town for 7 years and the Lone Star State IMO is no longer the moto

TEXAS, Right Next Door To Hell.

Imagine if you will.... You wake up 6am, shower, dress and have coffee. You then open the door to your house or apt. take one step out and someone opens you mouth and shoves a blow torch down your throat, as this is going on you feel another spraying you with a garden hose of warm salt water. This is how it feels every day from say...April thru October...

I know 5 million people cant be wrong, right?