PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So First Four Draft Picks Have Signed

philfree
07-21-2008, 12:11 PM
What other 1st rounders have signed, or is that it so far? Anyways the writing should be on the wall as far the increase of pay Dorsey will recieve compared to last years 5th overall pick. I know there are other factors with the scrapped CBA but this still shouldn't be that hard.

PhilFree:arrow:

Demonpenz
07-21-2008, 12:25 PM
albert and dorsey are going to have a long and bitter contract dispute

Hoover
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
I think Dorsey will gets signed soon. I'm worried more about Albert

CoMoChief
07-21-2008, 12:35 PM
1. Jake Long - signed
2. Chris Long - signed
3. Matt Ryan - signed
4. Darren McFadden - signed
5. Glenn Dorsey - We have Carl Peterson as a GM

Chief Chief
07-21-2008, 01:15 PM
Perhaps CP has made the same bet with Dorsey and Albert as he did with Bowe (steak dinner vs. signing the contract prior to training camp). Hey, it worked in CP's favor last year so why not double down this year?

svuba
07-21-2008, 01:28 PM
1. Jake Long - signed
2. Chris Long - signed
3. Matt Ryan - signed

Here is a more complete picture:
We are far from the only ones with an unsigned First Round pick. In fact only 6 teams have signed their first rounders.

Signing status of 2008 NFL Draft first-round picks

NFL.com
Pk Player Pos. Team Status
1. Jake Long OT Miami Signed; 5 years, $57.5 million
2. Chris Long DE St. Louis Agreed to terms; Terms undisclosed
3. Matt Ryan QB Atlanta Signed; 6 years, $72 million
4. Darren McFadden RB Oakland Signed; 6 years, $60 million
5. Glenn Dorsey DT Kansas City Unsigned
6. Vernon Gholston DE N.Y. Jets Unsigned
7. Sedrick Ellis DT New Orleans Unsigned
8. Derrick Harvey DE Jacksonville Unsigned
9. Keith Rivers LB Cincinnati Unsigned
10. Jerod Mayo LB New England Unsigned
11. Leodis McKelvin CB Buffalo Unsigned
12. Ryan Clady OT Denver Unsigned
13. Jonathan Stewart RB Carolina Unsigned
14. Chris Williams OT Chicago Unsigned
15. Branden Albert OG Kansas City Unsigned
16. Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie CB Arizona Unsigned
17. Gosder Cherilus OT Detroit Unsigned
18. Joe Flacco QB Baltimore Agreed to terms; 5 years, $30 million
19. Jeff Otah OT Carolina Unsigned
20. Aqib Talib CB Tampa Bay Unsigned
21. Sam Baker OT Atlanta Unsigned
22. Felix Jones RB Dallas Unsigned
23. Rashard Mendenhall RB Pittsburgh Unsigned
24. Chris Johnson RB Tennessee Unsigned
25. Mike Jenkins CB Dallas Unsigned
26. Duane Brown OT Houston Unsigned
27. Antoine Cason CB San Diego Unsigned
28. Lawrence Jackson DE Seattle Unsigned
29. Kentwan Balmer DE San Francisco Unsigned
30. Dustin Keller TE N.Y. Jets Signed; Terms undisclosed
31. Kenny Phillips FS N.Y. Giants Unsigned

Reerun_KC
07-21-2008, 01:32 PM
1. Jake Long - signed
2. Chris Long - signed
3. Matt Ryan - signed

Priceless!

philfree
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
Here is a more complete picture:
We are far from the only ones with an unsigned First Round pick. In fact only 6 teams have signed their first rounders.

NFL.com
31. Kenny Phillips FS N.Y. Giants Unsigned

Maybe the list of 1st rounders should be stickied and updated as the players are signed.

Also seeing what McFadden and Ryan got which is basically $12 mil and $10 mil a year respectively I would expect Dorsey to get a conract that avgs about $9 mil a year.

Consistent1
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM
That Ryan deal is still hard to believe. They better be right on that, or they f'd up huge.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 03:25 PM
That Ryan deal is still hard to believe. They better be right on that, or they f'd up huge.

That's the price you pay for drafting a QB that early. Boom or bust you are going to pay out the ass. Of course if he becomes the guy it is well worth it. Hopefully something can be worked out to curb these rook salaries.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 03:30 PM
didn't they sign mikeheel vick to an 111 million dollar deal

blueballs
07-21-2008, 03:34 PM
woa

The Falcons' star quarterback signed a 10-year; $130 million contract extension that guarantees him an NFL-record $37 million in bonuses, and he wants to prove he's worth every penny

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 03:44 PM
woa

The Falcons' star quarterback signed a 10-year; $130 million contract extension that guarantees him an NFL-record $37 million in bonuses, and he wants to prove he's worth every penny

That was for Vick I assume...:shake: Hype is expensive.

Buehler445
07-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Yeah, and now that dog****er is filing for bankruptcy protection. What a sack of bitch. Posted via Mobile Device

blueballs
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM
NFL Network's Adam Schefter reports a "slow down" among the rest of the top rookie draftees signing can be expected after Chris Long completed his deal with the Rams late Saturday night.

-Glenn Dorsey (Chiefs), Sedrick Ellis (Saints), and Vernon Gholston (Jets) are all not thought to be close to signing. Holdouts are nothing new in Kansas City, especially. Dwayne Bowe missed a substantial chunk of camp in 2007.
-rotoworld

TrebMaxx
07-21-2008, 06:00 PM
Maybe the list of 1st rounders should be stickied and updated as the players are signed.

Also seeing what McFadden and Ryan got which is basically $12 mil and $10 mil a year respectively I would expect Dorsey to get a conract that avgs about $9 mil a year.

I second the motion to sticky.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 06:20 PM
7/21/2008 Jeffri Chadiha: Last year, No. 1 pick JaMarcus Russell staged a lengthy holdout and never was a factor during the season. Which rookie is most likely to fill that role in 2008?

Kansas City defensive tackle Glenn Dorsey. This one is a no-brainer for two reasons. One is that Dorsey was arguably the best prospect in this year's draft -- a player capable of going No. 1 overall -- until he slipped to the Chiefs at pick No. 5. The other factor is Chiefs president/general manager Carl Peterson. He is known for being a hard-line negotiator and I doubt that will change in the next few weeks.

The first thing you have to realize about Dorsey is that he's going to be a cornerstone for this organization. The Chiefs want him to be the foundation of their Cover 2 defense and a future leader in the locker room. Those things don't come cheap, and Dorsey's agent, Joel Segal, is well aware of that. There's also the fact that Atlanta gave No. 3 overall pick Matt Ryan such a ridiculously fat deal (six years, $72 million) that Dorsey may be thinking he can find similar riches in Kansas City.

The next thing you have to understand is that negotiations involving Peterson too often result in holdouts. Just look at last year: Chiefs wide receiver Dwayne Bowe missed the first 10 days of training camp because he hadn't reached a deal with the Chiefs and he played college football with Dorsey at LSU. You can't tell me Bowe hasn't warned Dorsey about the value of patience in this. In fact, I'd bet Bowe has already told Dorsey to prepare for a late arrival to camp.

By the way, Bowe's battles with Peterson over money were nothing compared to those of other Chiefs first-round picks. Former Chiefs defensive tackle Ryan Sims -- who turned out to be a colossal bust -- missed all of training camp while his deal was getting done in 2002. Former Chiefs offensive tackle John Tait also held out after Peterson couldn't satisfy his demands in 1999. And I don't even have to mention the way Peterson has wrestled over major loot in the past with star veterans like Larry Johnson and Jared Allen.

If all this isn't enough evidence, just think about this: Only five of this year's first-round picks have agreed to terms so far, although the top four are now under contract, with No. 2 pick Chris Long recently signing with St. Louis. Those numbers tell me Dorsey and the Chiefs have even more reason to wait and see how the market plays out. So Kansas City fans should take a deep breath. They've seen Peterson and highly touted rookies squabble before … and they're about to see it happen again.

LiL stumppy
07-21-2008, 08:51 PM
gah, that is a crappy read

Mr. Flopnuts
07-21-2008, 11:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Flacco signing for that coin doesn't help our cause. Albert was projected by many to go to us at 5. He still got picked up a few spots ahead of Flacco. If both of these guys bust we are ****ED.

jAZ
07-22-2008, 12:26 AM

The start of slotting by position as well as draft position?

07-22-2008, 12:39 AM
1. Jake Long - signed
2. Chris Long - signed
3. Matt Ryan - signed

BINGO

Standard Operating Procedure.:shake:

blueballs
07-22-2008, 08:05 AM
July 22
Indianapolis Star

"The Indianapolis Colts report to Terre Haute for the start of training camp Thursday and will practice the first time the following morning, with or without the participation of their draft class. Monday afternoon, the team still had not come to terms with any of its nine draft picks. Team president Bill Polian offered little optimism -- or concern -- that things might change today or before players step onto the practice fields at Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology. "We haven't made any progress. None," Polian said. "If they come in, they come in. If they don't, they don't. "We'll play with the guys who are there. If these players don't want to sign because the union thinks our offers are too low or the agents are afraid to sign or whatever other excuses they use, it doesn't matter to me. I could care less.""

blueballs
07-22-2008, 10:21 AM
update
Colt's sign first of nine

Colts | Garcon signed
Tue, 22 Jul 2008 08:54:31 -0700

The Indianapolis Colts announced Tuesday, July 22, that they have signed sixth-round draft pick WR Pierre Garcon. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The Rick
07-22-2008, 10:31 AM
Dorsey for 6 years at 58 million should be about right, don't you think?

Lzen
07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
I realize that bagging on Carl Peterson is the cool thing to do these days, but I think in this instance it is not entirely fair. How many Chiefs 1st rounders have been late to camp in recent year? Or perhaps more than 1 week late. As I recall, CP has been pretty good at getting them into camp early in recent years.

philfree
07-23-2008, 09:18 AM
I saw that Kenny Phillips signed. Has any other 1st rounders signed?

NFL.com
31. Kenny Phillips FS N.Y. Giants - signed

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 10:11 AM
Dorsey is supposedly wanting 72 mil, and we are offering 55.

That is not a very lowballing offer. Carl will NEVER give him 70. So it might be a while.

Lzen
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
Dorsey is supposedly wanting 72 mil, and we are offering 55.

That is not a very lowballing offer. Carl will NEVER give him 70. So it might be a while.

72 mil over how many years?

penguinz
07-23-2008, 11:18 AM
72 mil over how many years?1

Old Dog
07-23-2008, 11:21 AM
I see Albert being the latter of the Chiefs first rounders to sign. Carl will want to pay him as a guard and he will want left tackle money. Carl will also want to pay him as the #15 pick and his agent will argue, "but you were thinking about picking him at 5, so he should be compensated closer to that spot".

I could be WAY off base, but that's my take on it.

penguinz
07-23-2008, 11:23 AM
I see Albert being the latter of the Chiefs first rounders to sign. Carl will want to pay him as a guard and he will want left tackle money. Carl will also want to pay him as the #15 pick and his agent will argue, "but you were thinking about picking him at 5, so he should be compensated closer to that spot".

I could be WAY off base, but that's my take on it.why does everyone think the Chiefs were really going to take Albert at #5?

Lzen
07-23-2008, 12:11 PM

Ok, let's get it done. Sounds fair. :p

blueballs
07-23-2008, 09:21 PM
no excuses after this peterson

Jets | Team close to contract with Gholston
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:38:51 -0700

Dave Hutchinson, of The Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets are close to a contract with rookie LB Vernon Gholston. Gholston could be on the practice field as early as Thursday, July 24, or Friday, July 25. The stumbling block in contract talks is that Gholston wants a five-year deal and the Jets want him to sign a six-year contract, according to someone with knowledge of the negotiations.

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 09:27 PM
why does everyone think the Chiefs were really going to take Albert at #5?

Or that if we hadn't traded Allen that we would have passed on Dorsey at 5.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Or that if we hadn't traded Allen that we would have passed on Dorsey at 5.

dorsey and allen anchoring out d-line. That is some potential greatness right there...or am i supposed to support the allen trade?;)

beach tribe
07-23-2008, 09:54 PM
dorsey and allen anchoring out d-line. That is some potential greatness right there...or am i supposed to support the allen trade?;)

I think Tamba will be the one reaping the benefits of Dorsey.

And this is not a popular opinion, but if Boone is down to 285, I think he's going to really surprise some people at LE. He's faster than most realize, and he's strong as an ox.