PDA

View Full Version : Football Shockey traded to the Saints

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 01:22 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8364800?MSNHPHMA

Sources: Giants to trade Shockey to Saints

The Giants have agreed to trade their disgruntled tight end to the New Orleans Saints for a second-round pick and a fifth-round pick, FOXSports.com has learned. The deal is pending league approval, according to a league source. Shockey must also pass a physical.

The compensation is the same the Saints offered New York back in April prior and during to the draft ... and it was turned down.

The move comes one day after Jason Taylor was traded from Miami to New York's NFC East rivals in Washington. According to a report on SI.com, the Giants had held discussions about a three-team trade in which they would have ended up with Taylor, the Saints would have landed Shockey and the Dolphins would have received a pair of draft picks.

The emergence of rookie Kevin Boss during the Giants' improbable Super Bowl run — a stretch Shockey missed due to a broken leg — made Shockey expendable. Boss started six games after Shockey's injury (two regular season and all four during the Giants' postseason run), making nine catches for 140 yards and a TD.

Shockey's attitude made the move somewhat necessary as the Giants sought to avoid distractions from their bid to repeat as Super Bowl champions.

During the team's recent minicamp, Shockey reportedly engaged in a shouting match with GM Jerry Reese, just the latest controversy involving the outspoken former first-round pick out of the University of Miami.

Shockey's absence in Phoenix during the Super Bowl was conspicuous to say the least. According to some reports, one of the many sources of Shockey's displeasure with the team was that he was not allowed to stand on the team's sidelines during the game.

In the past, Shockey also had less-than-complimentary things to say about his quarterback, Eli Manning. In fact, many have theorized that Manning's transformation from a middle-of-the-pack quarterback to a Super Bowl MVP was facilitated by Shockey's absence.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 01:23 PM
That Saints offense it's pretty scary.

The Franchise
07-21-2008, 01:24 PM

It would be if their WRs opposite of Colston would step up.

FAX
07-21-2008, 01:33 PM
I'm a tad confused about this whole disgruntled thing. Apparently, in their natural state, a person is supposed to be gruntled. If so, I'm sorry that Shockey lost his gruntle. Still, they should have plenty of gruntle in New Orleans which means he might get his gruntle back pretty quickly.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Drew Brees just became an even better fantasy QB...

Reerun_KC
07-21-2008, 01:34 PM
This should open up a lot of passing lanes for those other WR's.

I can see this offense being very powerful in the coming season... They have a coach that believes in scoring TD's over FG's.

Reerun_KC
07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
Drew Brees just became an even better fantasy QB...
I can see him going in the TOP 5 of QB's this year...

noa
07-21-2008, 01:35 PM
I'm a tad confused about this whole disgruntled thing. Apparently, in their natural state, a person is supposed to be gruntled. If so, I'm sorry that Shockey lost his gruntle. Still, they should have plenty of gruntle in New Orleans which means he might get his gruntle back pretty quickly.

FAX

In my own personal experiences, I have found that traveling to New Orleans does much to restore one's gruntle, so I think your theory is correct.

markk
07-21-2008, 01:41 PM
over rated bum bum bum bum bum

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 01:43 PM

Too bad they are basically the KC Chiefs 2002-2005.

Maybe they will get tougher on D. Who knows?

Ultra Peanut
07-21-2008, 01:44 PM
http://i34.tinypic.com/53ok9h.jpg

Mecca
07-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Too bad they are basically the KC Chiefs 2002-2005.

Maybe they will get tougher on D. Who knows?

Nah they have a true #1 WR and some better D players than we ever did.

Reerun_KC
07-21-2008, 01:54 PM
Nah they have a true #1 WR and some better D players than we ever did.

but we had Eddie Kennison! he was da':hail:greatest! No body could fumble or get caught from behind like Fast EddieK!

Mecca
07-21-2008, 01:55 PM
but we had Eddie Kennison! he was da':hail:greatest! No body could fumble or get caught from behind like Fast EddieK!

Remember when people would argue that he was good enough and we didn't need a #1?

How funny that was.

LiL stumppy
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Saints are puttin together a good O.

El Jefe
07-21-2008, 01:57 PM
Another weapon for the saints, now their reciever opposite Colston needs to step it up a notch.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 01:58 PM
The Giants seemed to do ok without Shockey, so trading him made sense. Heck Eli Manning looked much better once he went down.

FAX
07-21-2008, 02:05 PM
As one of the most talented and informed posters on the Planet, Mr. Reerun_KC, I hesitate to offer any form of counter argument on the subject. But, I don't know why you want to put the evil mojo super hate on Eddie. He made one of the best catches in Chiefs modern day times history to win on the road against the Pack in overtime. That alone has to be worth some love points.

I always thought of him as a very reliable, steady receiver.

FAX

LiL stumppy
07-21-2008, 02:07 PM
As one of the most talented and informed posters on the Planet, Mr. Reerun_KC, I hesitate to offer any form of counter argument on the subject. But, I don't know why you want to put the evil mojo super hate on Eddie. He made one of the best catches in Chiefs modern day times history to win on the road against the Pack in overtime. That alone has to be worth some love points.

FAX

I agree, I don't see why so many can't stand him. He was a steady vet that came in and played the role he was supposed to play.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:08 PM

FAX

Which makes him a 2, some people use to act like we didn't need to draft any WR's....and point to him as an example.

FAX
07-21-2008, 02:10 PM
I agree, I don't see why so many can't stand him. He was a steady vet that came in and played the role he was supposed to play.

Exactly, Mr. LiL stumppy. The fact of the matter is that the Chiefs offense during the EK era was a dominating group from top to bottom. EK was part of it and played his role well.

Down with the Eddie Haters!!!

FAX

blueballs
07-21-2008, 02:13 PM
I can think of nobody who expected much the EK signing
he was labeled troubled and a 1 in a 1000 shot
kudos Eddie

FAX
07-21-2008, 02:14 PM
Which makes him a 2, some people use to act like we didn't need to draft any WR's....and point to him as an example.

Fine. Call him a 2 or a 3 or a 8759, for all I care. The point is that, based on his performance and contribution, he deserves a little more than having his pecker twisted in knots by a passel of demented lumberjacks on furlough.

FAX

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
I can think of nobody who expected much the EK signing
he was labeled troubled and a 1 in a 1000 shot
kudos Eddie

Nobody is dogging on Eddie. He was a nice solid WR for us and he turned his career around in KC.

Its not his fault the Chiefs basically tagged him a #1 guy.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 02:15 PM
after seein what the skins ponied up for Taylor
the Saints probabl couldn't make this trade fast enough

blueballs
07-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Nobody is dogging on Eddie. He was a nice solid WR for us and he turned his career around in KC.

the same can be said for Warfield
a 7th round safety who overachieved

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 02:17 PM
Remember when people would argue that he was good enough and we didn't need a #1?

How funny that was.

Yeah man, Chiefs suck.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM
Yeah man, Chiefs suck.

Oh for the love of God.

FAX
07-21-2008, 02:18 PM

Maybe I read Mr. Reerun_KC's post incorrectly (whom I respect). If so, I apologize with extreme profusefullness. Still, "but we had Eddie Kennison! he was da'greatest! No body could fumble or get caught from behind like Fast EddieK!" sounds like dogging, to me.

FAX

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM

Probably because our offense was fine without a "number 1" wideout at the time. The D sucked balls though and people would rather that have been upgraded at the time. When the offense is rolling out close to 400 yards a game without a "number 1" reciever I don't see why you have to go out and get one. I do agree with you that Eddie is a number 2 though.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 02:19 PM
the same can be said for Warfield
a 7th round safety who overachieved

IM not really convinced he was ever a legitimate NFL starting CB. Look what happened when he left the Chiefs.

blueballs
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
IM not really convinced he was ever a legitimate NFL starting CB. Look what happened when he left the Chiefs.

the same can be said for Hicks
okay maybe there is another element at play here
I'd take that money too -in a heartbeat

Reerun_KC
07-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Maybe I read Mr. Reerun_KC's post incorrectly (whom I respect). If so, I apologize with extreme profusefullness. Still, "but we had Eddie Kennison! he was da'greatest! No body could fumble or get caught from behind like Fast EddieK!" sounds like dogging, to me.

FAX

Easy Mr Fax, it was a joke. I think people gave Eddie to much credit, yes he did have a great TD Catch to beat GB, but I remember another WR named Dante Hall that is still owning the Broncos with the greatest catch and run in Denvers own back yard. People still trashed on Dante Hall because he had zero blocking and said Drummond would be better.

Eddie was a product of the system here, he took advantage of Tony G's greatness. He was a decent to solid receiver, nothing more, nothing less.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:23 PM
Probably because our offense was fine without a "number 1" wideout at the time. The D sucked balls though and people would rather that have been upgraded at the time. When the offense is rolling out close to 400 yards a game without a "number 1" reciever I don't see why you have to go out and get one. I do agree with you that Eddie is a number 2 though.

What did that teach us?

Oh yea reaching for need sucks because we have nothing to show for all those drafts right now..

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 02:24 PM
Easy Mr Fax, it was a joke. I think people gave Eddie to much credit, yes he did have a great TD Catch to beat GB, but I remember another WR named Dante Hall that is still owning the Broncos with the greatest catch and run in Denvers own back yard. People still trashed on Dante Hall because he had zero blocking and said Drummond would be better.

Eddie was a product of the system here, he took advantage of Tony G's greatness. He was a decent to solid receiver, nothing more, nothing less.

You know whats funny about EK is, he had a knack for making the "spectacular grab" yet routine catches he would drop??

He was basically like that his whole career. One of the reason the Rams cut him after a strong start to his career.

ct
07-21-2008, 02:28 PM

How funny that was.

For a short period of time it was good enough. but our _efense was not. and then the willie's retired. and sadness ruled the day...

Psyko Tek
07-21-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm thinking once Shockey gets away from east coast media we're gonna find out he's not really that good

kcxiv
07-21-2008, 02:40 PM
I'm thinking once Shockey gets away from east coast media we're gonna find out he's not really that good

I wil take it a different direction. Once he's away from the NY media, he's going to be even better because he doesn't have to deal with them ****s anymore. He can just focus on pure game. Yes, he has football game. He's a solid tight end.

KCrockaholic
07-21-2008, 02:45 PM
wow! i think New Orleans will take a serious superbowl run this year. they are STACKED now!

CupidStunt
07-21-2008, 02:53 PM

And if they could find an NFL RB somewhere.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 02:55 PM
If McAllister is fine they'll be good to go....

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 03:01 PM

Shouldnt he be washed up by now? According to your theory?

BigChiefFan
07-21-2008, 03:02 PM
Peyton used to coach for the Giants so I'm sure he knows what he's getting in Shockey. Shockey isn't awesome, but he's one of the better receiving TEs in the league. He should help them.

Buehler445
07-21-2008, 03:03 PM
I'm not surprised by this. I'm surprised it didn't happen on draft day. The Saints compensation was way more than adequate.

I've got a buddy that is an NY fan, and he agreed that Eli looked loads better after Shockey left. He said Eli looked scared when Shockey was in. Good move for NY, dumb for NO in my opinion. I think Shockey is a POS.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stryker
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM

McAllister I would not count on - he is probably through. Bush needs to step up. Opposite Colston is Devary Henderson and Meecham. They need another WR - Henderson can't catch a cold and Meecham was the rookie that was "hurt" when the Saints drafted him out of Tennessee.

Chiefnj2
07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
I'm surprised it didn't happen on draft day.

Good move for NY, dumb for NO in my opinion. I think Shockey is a POS.
Posted via Mobile Device

A lot of teams didn't like this years draft class all that much.

Maybe Shockey will grow up in NO. He was not a team player in NY.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
Shouldnt he be washed up by now? According to your theory?

Show me his ridiculous carry year.......as much as the Saints pass and the fact that he's always had another back with him from Ricky Williams to Reggie Bush even with his injuries he doesn't have a ton of mileage.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 03:10 PM
What did that teach us?

Oh yea reaching for need sucks because we have nothing to show for all those drafts right now..

Well our drafting was garbage for a long stretch of time that is for sure...I didn't know if you were lobbying for them to go out and get a big time wideout in trades or free agency or you meant the draft. I will agree it was dumb if we passed on a wideout for those trash defenders, but I don't remember who was available at the time.

Mecca
07-21-2008, 03:13 PM
Well our drafting was garbage for a long stretch of time that is for sure...I didn't know if you were lobbying for them to go out and get a big time wideout in trades or free agency or you meant the draft. I will agree it was dumb if we passed on a wideout for those trash defenders, but I don't remember who was available at the time.

I can think of a ton of picks that made me mad...

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 03:17 PM
I can think of a ton of picks that made me mad...

Yes there was quite a few head scratchers. What players did we pass on that hurt the most?

Mecca
07-21-2008, 03:18 PM
How about Junior Siavii instead of Karlos Dansby....

Pasta Little Brioni
07-21-2008, 03:22 PM

Good example. Junior was the definition of a reach and of a fat turd...Dansby has come along nicely.

Valiant
07-22-2008, 08:19 PM
This should open up a lot of passing lanes for those other WR's.

I can see this offense being very powerful in the coming season... They have a coach that believes in scoring TD's over FG's.

If he stays healthy..

Deberg_1990
07-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Show me his ridiculous carry year.......as much as the Saints pass and the fact that he's always had another back with him from Ricky Williams to Reggie Bush even with his injuries he doesn't have a ton of mileage.

He hasnt had a ton of carries the past few years but...

Going into his 8th year. Hes nearly 30, hes been injured alot the past 3 or 4 years.

chiefs1111
07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

yup,that's one of many... I remember when we made that pick. I had never even heard of the guy at the time,what a waste of a pick that was.

FAX
07-22-2008, 09:45 PM
yup,that's one of many... I remember when we made that pick. I had never even heard of the guy at the time,what a waste of a pick that was.

It is my firm belief that, overall, since DT, Carl could have made better draft selections by counting the bubbles in a bucket of rancid piss.

FAX

Al Bundy
07-22-2008, 10:31 PM
The Saints will still finish second behind the Bucs this year.

Dylan
07-23-2008, 01:18 AM
Shockey will do fine in Sean Payton's offense at New Orleans -- He should put up good numbers. That's until he doesn't get the ball enough. Then he'll become a cancer.

Shockey's first two seasons with the Giants were great. After his injury in 2003, he was never the same. There were glimpses of greatness, but it all came in his rookie year. I think he caught 65-70 balls that year. He never played a full 16 game season. He was out injured. The last two years he dropped more balls than he caught. Shockey was a TE who wanted to be a WR and hated to block. He told (GM) Reese and Coughlin that he would sit out this season if they didn't change the offense back. Can you imagine? lol

Understand this a team that played and won the most important games without him. Shockey's antics and shouting wore out Eli, the Giants and the NY media. More importantly, Eli's QB rating went up 30% once Shockey broke his leg at the beginning of December. No more forced throws. No more interceptions. Eli's balls were thrown on target all over the field.

Trent Difler said all that arm waving and complaining Shockey did hurt Mannings development. He was right. Half of Eli's picks were a result of Shockey running bad routes. There were a couple of times Shockey ran a few good ones. But take a long look at at how many big catches Shockey made and how many penalties he cost the team.

The bottom line, this is Eli Manning's team, not Shockey's team. His huge overrated ego couldn't except that.

Good riddance.

Please let him pass his physical or we get him back.

07-23-2008, 02:15 AM
http://i34.tinypic.com/53ok9h.jpg

That was hilarious when he did that. LMAO

cadmonkey
07-23-2008, 06:12 AM
I hope Shockey thrives in NO. He was an amazing talent in college, but I think the New York media killed him. Maybe in a smaller market, with argueably more talent around him, he will become the all around reciever he should have been all along.

Chiefnj2
07-23-2008, 07:07 AM
Maybe the KC media was the reason Sims and Siavii never produced.

Dylan
07-23-2008, 11:35 AM
I hope Shockey thrives in NO. He was an amazing talent in college, but I think the New York media killed him. Maybe in a smaller market, with argueably more talent around him, he will become the all around reciever he should have been all along.

The New York media killed him? It certainly didn't kill anyone else on the Giants. And they're much more important to the team than Shockey. A rookie took over Shockey's job and he played great and was tested by the best.

More talent? You're kidding. Did you sleep thru December, January and February?

Just asking.... o:-)

The Franchise
07-23-2008, 12:01 PM
That was hilarious when he did that. LMAO

What was that from?

Frosty
07-23-2008, 12:21 PM
What was that from?

Giants @ Seahawks, in '05 (IIRC).

The NFL Network had that game on last weekend and I caught the end. That happened during the first miss by the kicker at the end of the game.