PDA

View Full Version : Royals What, no Royals thread tonight?

Dartgod
07-21-2008, 09:09 PM
They're losing 19-0 in the bottom of the 8th.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

RibKing67
07-21-2008, 09:12 PM
It is almost training camp time......What is this Royals you speak of?

StcChief
07-21-2008, 09:15 PM
thumped

Jenson71
07-21-2008, 09:20 PM
Is it time to part with Jimmy Gobble yet?

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
They're losing 19-0 in the bottom of the 8th.

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Make that 19-4. Theres still hope!

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 09:23 PM

With that sparkling 11.31 ERA? Its hard to find talent like that.

Dartgod
07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
Let's see. 1 IP, 7 hits, 4 BB, 10 ER.

Yeah, I'd say it's time to kick his ass out the door, if they haven't already.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 09:27 PM
man Gobble has been downright ****ing pathetic this year... He was prety good last year in the role that he's in, i wonder what his deal is...

This game is a huge embarrassment... Hopefully it will make moore realize that our pitching is better, yah, but it still completely blows.

Frazod
07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Let's see. 1 IP, 7 hits, 4 BB, 10 ER.

Yeah, I'd say it's time to kick his ass out the door, if they haven't already.

Jesus. 10 earned runs IN AN INNING?

I wonder what the record is?

Dartgod
07-21-2008, 09:28 PM
Oh, shit. I wasn't watching, but did TJ just pitch the 9th and retire the side in order?

alanm
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Hell, I was watching Baseball tonight not more than a half hr. ago and the score was only 9-0 and of course the Royals were pulling every boneheaded thing in the book tonight.

Dartgod
07-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Damn, I wish I had seen that!

Hey, Gobble! When a no hitting POS shortstop shows you up on the mound, its time to pack your bags.

Dartgod
07-21-2008, 09:31 PM
We need to score 16 in the bottom of the 9th and get TJ the win.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:36 PM
I stopped watching at 7-0. Whoa. I'm not sure what I would have liked to see more, though, Gobble throwing BP or Pena Jr. retiring the side. Hmm...I'll say one thing, I've been as critical as anyone of Pena, but he does play hard and seems to be a team-first guy. I definitely respect these qualities...

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 09:38 PM
SO i have to ask...

What has Hillman brought to this team?? Its the same old same old from the last 10 years.

Mizzou_8541
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
I stopped watching at 7-0. Whoa. I'm not sure what I would have liked to see more, though, Gobble throwing BP or Pena Jr. retiring the side. Hmm...I'll say one thing, I've been as critical as anyone of Pena, but he does play hard and seems to be a team-first guy. I definitely respect these qualities...

Whoa, whoa, whoa....TPJ pitched? Am I reading this correctly? I didn't catch the game tonight (thank god) so I am out of the loop.

alanm
07-21-2008, 09:41 PM
SO i have to ask...

What has Hillman brought to this team?? Its the same old same old from the last 10 years.
A manager is only as good as the talent he's dealt. Right now he's holding a baby straight.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:43 PM
SO i have to ask...

I don't know if he's going to be a good manager or not, but I'll say this: Hillman is not the circus that was Tony Pena, and he seems to have a bit more spunk than Buddy Bell, who didn't seem to be the right kind of guy for a (constantly) rebuilding team.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:46 PM
Whoa, whoa, whoa....TPJ pitched? Am I reading this correctly? I didn't catch the game tonight (thank god) so I am out of the loop.

Yep. I wasn't watching, but according to the box score he pitched one inning, with one K. Cool.

Batting: .154
ERA: .000

Let's keep going with what's working best...

Mizzou_8541
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Should I be worried the Joey Gathright has a better average than Alex Gordon?

SPATCH
07-21-2008, 09:47 PM
gotta love these guys

that's what i call some New. Blue. Tradition. :thumb:

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:49 PM
Should I be worried the Joey Gathright has a better average than Alex Gordon?

Gathright has 3 extra base hits this season. That's pretty impressive, actually.

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 09:49 PM
gotta love these guys

that's what i call some New. Blue. Tradition. :thumb:

I call it "Same Old Blue Losing Tradition".

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:53 PM
Maybe this is the team's second half approach. Ass kicked in game one to give the opposition a false sense of security, and then proceed to take the series. New. Blue. Sneaky Ass Tradition.

Mizzou_8541
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Gathright has 3 extra base hits this season. That's pretty impressive, actually.

Ok...just checking. I was hoping that someone could alleviate my fears more than that, however.

BWillie
07-21-2008, 09:54 PM
Yep. I wasn't watching, but according to the box score he pitched one inning, with one K. Cool.

Batting: .154
ERA: .000

Let's keep going with what's working best...

You gotta be shitting me. I wish I would have recorded that. Somebody put the entire inning on you tube. I want to see his tobacco spitting ass K'ing some guy. haaha. I totally support that move. When you are losing by 15 runs, you aren't going to win, don't waste your pen

SPATCH
07-21-2008, 09:56 PM
Maybe this is the team's second half approach. Ass kicked in game one to give the opposition a false sense of security, and then proceed to take the series. New. Blue. Sneaky Ass Tradition.

that's tradition that flies in the face of... well... tradition.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
You gotta be shitting me. I wish I would have recorded that. Somebody put the entire inning on you tube. I want to see his tobacco spitting ass K'ing some guy. haaha. I totally support that move. When you are losing by 15 runs, you aren't going to win, don't waste your pen

If he hits like a pitcher, spits like a pitcher...

Did anyone actually see this event? How hard was he throwing? How the heck did he strike out anyone?

BigRock
07-21-2008, 09:57 PM
When Tony Pena Jr. wins the Cy Young next year, all the haters will be eating some serious crow.

BWillie
07-21-2008, 09:58 PM

Did anyone actually see this event? How hard was he throwing? How the heck did he strike out anyone?

Can he hit 85 on his fastball? Sign him up. How much worse can it get.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
that's tradition that flies in the face of... well... tradition.

:shake:

That ****ing line. It had to be written minutes before deadline, and the conversation that led to selecting it had to begin with, "Aww, **** it, let's just say..."

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 09:59 PM
hm... tpj should really think about doing the pitching thing, because he looks kinda natural at it. Hey, Joel Peralta did just that and convinced a team like the royals to sign em as a pitcher...

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM
When Tony Pena Jr. wins the Cy Young next year, all the haters will be eating some serious crow.

Can he hit 85 on his fastball? Sign him up. How much worse can it get.

This kind of reclaimation project would be on the same level of K-State football under Snyder.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 10:01 PM

he was consistently throwing in the lower 90s. got up to 93 and he had a fairly decent looking curveball that he froze pudge with

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 10:02 PM
he was consistently throwing in the lower 90s. got up to 93 and he had a fairly decent looking curveball that he froze pudge with

You ****ing lie.

doomy3
07-21-2008, 10:03 PM

You gotta be kidding.

SPATCH
07-21-2008, 10:05 PM

bull shit... i didn't watch.... but bull shit

BWillie
07-21-2008, 10:06 PM

I want video. somebody give me video

KCCHIEFS27
07-21-2008, 10:07 PM
No he's not kidding..I was watching this game..TPJ was throwing between 88-91 constantly and even hit some 93-94 range. I don't know how well his off-speed stuff would work once hitters saw what he had because I think Pudge would have blasted the one that caught him off-guard on another day. But another thing about TPJ is his loose side arm style. He was changing up his motion during the wind up too, I liked it. Dare I say he actually looked good.

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 10:08 PM
No he's not kidding..I was watching this game..TPJ was throwing between 88-91 constantly and even hit some 93-94 range. I don't know how well his off-speed stuff would work once hitters saw what he had because I think Pudge would have blasted the one that caught him off-guard on another day. But another thing about TPJ is his loose side arm style. He was changing up his motion during the wind up too, I liked it. Dare I say he actually looked good.

The move should be immediate.

Hammock Parties
You gotta be kidding.

i kid you not. He had good movement on his fastball as well. He really looked natural up there. makes me think that he knows he wont make it as a shortstop or batter so he's possibly been working on the pitching thing

doomy3

If that's the case, he should never pick up another bat. Either he becomes a pitcher, or he bags groceries.

BWillie

Alright lets have him pull a reverse-ankiel

Deberg_1990
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
TPJ will be Soria's set up man next year. You heard it here on Chiefsplanet first!

DeezNutz
07-21-2008, 10:09 PM
I'm all for opening a big ol' can of McClure on TPJ.

Hammock Parties
07-21-2008, 10:10 PM
i have a feeling thats not the last time we see him on the mound this year. I bet ya anything he goes straight for that in the offseason, becoming a pitcher

KCCHIEFS27
07-21-2008, 10:11 PM
I don't know if you were watching it on TV or not Jayhawkerman, but it looked like he said "Thanks" to Hillman as if he asked to be put on the mound to show them what he could do.

KCCHIEFS27
07-21-2008, 10:12 PM
Or Hillman could have said good job, but I didn't see Hillman's mouth move until TPJ said "Thanks"

petegz28
07-21-2008, 10:28 PM
i have a feeling thats not the last time we see him on the mound this year. I bet ya anything he goes straight for that in the offseason, becoming a pitcher

He certainly bats like one.

alanm
07-21-2008, 10:48 PM
His probability of that actually happening is greater than his hitting the Mendoza line this year.

Demonpenz
07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Mayhay started his career in the majors as a right fielder than the same thing happened he came into a blowout in the minors

KCinNY
07-21-2008, 11:06 PM
How was Hochevar ever a #1 pick? I mean a sinkerballer with a so-so arm...I don't get it.

petegz28
07-21-2008, 11:30 PM
How was Hochevar ever a #1 pick? I mean a sinkerballer with a so-so arm...I don't get it.

Classic case of bad inning syndrome. He does good but has 1 thing go wrong and it all comes down.

Kraus
07-22-2008, 12:14 AM
Just saw the TPJ strike-out on ESPN. Crazy.

Mama Hip Rockets
07-22-2008, 12:47 AM
is gobble in omaha yet?

Mizzou_8541
07-22-2008, 12:48 AM
is gobble in omaha yet?

11+ ERA not good enough for you? Rude.;)

Chief Chief
07-22-2008, 06:43 AM
Quick! Trade away Tiny Penis for anybody or even anything, like 20 bats!

BigRock
07-22-2008, 10:29 AM
I want video. somebody give me video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xwgu2I2p6ms

The only thing missing is a shot of Jimmy Gobble crying in the dugout after TPJ gets the strikeout.

DeezNutz
07-22-2008, 10:35 AM

The only thing missing is a shot of Jimmy Gobble crying in the dugout after TPJ gets the strikeout.

Very cool.

Nzoner
07-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Classic,thanks :thumb:

bkkcoh
07-22-2008, 10:48 AM
He certainly bats like one.

Greg Maddux and John Smoltz are gonna kick your azz for saying that.... :)

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 10:51 AM
SO i have to ask...

I'm sorry, I take issue with this.

First, the manager is pretty irrelevant in baseball. I mean, really.

Second, if you can't see the team has improved, then there's something wrong. Of course they'll drop a game or two like this. The key is the bounce back. Hell, the twins lost 12-4 last night. You take away Gobble's 10 and we lost by pretty much the same margin. Gobble has to be shown the door.

The team has and is improving. You just have to look and not have knee jerk reactions to games like this.

Nzoner
07-22-2008, 10:54 AM

Second, if you can't see the team has improved, then there's something wrong. Of course they'll drop a game or two like this. The key is the bounce back. Hell, the twins lost 12-4 last night. You take away Gobble's 10 and we lost by pretty much the same margin. Gobble has to be shown the door.

The team has and is improving. You just have to look and not have knee jerk reactions to games like this.

Good take,I personally can't remember the last time I was still checking in on these guys after the break.They're definitely improving and have been entertaining to watch most of the time.

Deberg_1990
07-22-2008, 10:58 AM

Whats their record this year compared to last year at this time? Ultimately, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. The pitching is better yes, but what about the rest of the team?

DeezNutz
07-22-2008, 11:02 AM
Whats their record this year compared to last year at this time? Ultimately, the only thing that matters is wins and losses. The pitching is better yes, but what about the rest of the team?

We don't judge ourselves by wins and losses. /David Glass/

:D

At some point, you're right that the record will tell the story, period, but this organization has been in the shitter for so long that this point hasn't arrived, yet. It's still baby steps, frustratingly enough.

To answer your question, the team has competed on a consistent basis this season, and in many years this has not been the case. Even when they're down 5-0, you can be pretty confident that the team will continue to battle. Sadly, this is improvement, and Hillman has to get some credit for this.

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM

No.

Ultimately, the mindset that breeds good records is the thing that matters. Blind squirrels find nuts. Records don't mean much. Look at the 2003 Royals. They had a superb record but the following team tanked.

It's the mindset. The mind that hey, no matter what happened last night, we can win. The mindset that carries from year to year no matter who the players are.

Records are misleading, in my opinion. Unfortunately, they are the defacto measuring stick.

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 11:03 AM
We don't judge ourselves by wins and losses. /David Glass/

:D

At some point, you're right that the record will tell the story, period, but this organization has been in the shitter for so long that this point hasn't arrived, yet. It's still baby steps, frustratingly enough.

Yep.

Deberg_1990
07-22-2008, 11:22 AM
Records are misleading, in my opinion. Unfortunately, they are the defacto measuring stick.

We will have to agree to disagree then. Im of the belief "You are who you are"

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 11:24 AM
We will have to agree to disagree then. Im of the belief "You are who you are"

When we are in a point of rebuild where that applies, I'll happily agree.

1.5 years for our GM and 1 year for our Coach is not enough for me to think the record dictates all.

SithCeNtZ
07-22-2008, 11:38 AM
SO i have to ask...

The team is better, but only only because of who Moore has brought in. Hillman has been pretty bad this year. You can take your pick of questionable handling of the pitching staff, poor fundamentals like not being able to put a bunt down and base running, his complete lack of understanding of when to send runners, his questionable pinch hitting decisions..it has all been pretty bad. The team as a whole is better, but none of that is coming from Hillman.

Demonpenz
07-22-2008, 11:50 AM
We run young guys out there sometimes that we maybe able to sqeeze a few wins out of but we stick with the younger guys to see how they will do in certain situations. We gave a long leash on gathright, Pena, butler, because we need to know what we have. I think that is a step in rebuilding. Before we would have signed some veteran off the scrap heap. I like the fact we don't run trash out there as much as we used too. Jesus Scott elerton and seth etherton darrel may no matter how bad they pitched they ran them out there. Some of that is we finally have other options I understand but atleast this time around they give the apperence to be fed up. Bye bye tomco, nomo, yabota.

Demonpenz
07-22-2008, 11:51 AM
I love the fact how Hillman is agressive to, he understands that we need some stolen bases to put pressure on the D!

sedated
07-22-2008, 12:30 PM
We lost a game??!!!
OMGZ!!!!!!!1111oneoneone
Time to clean house!
We are obviously not improving!

keg in kc
07-22-2008, 12:36 PM
When we are in a point of rebuild where that applies, I'll happily agree.

1.5 years for our GM and 1 year for our Coach is not enough for me to think the record dictates all.Gonna take at least 5 years on the part of the GM. He's rebuilding the entire franchise from rookie ball up.

As for managers, they're maybe the most overvalued commodity in pro sports. "Good" managers happen to be the ones with the most talent on the field. And in that light, Hillman's as good as what he has to work with, nothing more, nothing less. Same as Tony Pena or Buddy Bell. They're basically figureheads. It's not like he's some alchemist who can turn shit into gold.

alanm
07-22-2008, 12:38 PM
I read somewhere this morning that the Royals have 2 more wins this year than last. :D

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Gonna take at least 5 years on the part of the GM. He's rebuilding the entire franchise from rookie ball up.

As for managers, they're maybe the most overvalued commodity in pro sports. "Good" managers happen to be the ones with the most talent on the field. And in that light, Hillman's as good as what he has to work with, nothing more, nothing less. Same as Tony Pena or Buddy Bell. They're basically figureheads. It's not like he's some alchemist who can turn shit into gold.

Out of curiosity, how many drafts did Baird get? That's how many Moore should get.

DeezNutz
07-22-2008, 01:02 PM
Out of curiosity, how many drafts did Baird get? That's how many Moore should get.

Not really a fair comparison considering that ownership didn't give Baird the resources to be successful. He made plenty of mistakes, but when you generally have to draft based on signability, it's tough to be too critical. A better question would be: How many years do real organizations give their GMs?

irishjayhawk
07-22-2008, 01:03 PM
Not really a fair comparison considering that ownership didn't give Baird the resources to be successful. He made plenty of mistakes, but when you generally have to draft based on signability, it's tough to be too critical.

I know. ;)