PDA

View Full Version : KU Turnaround has Jayhawks enthused about future

Lzen
07-23-2008, 09:36 AM
July 22, 2008 4:54 PM
KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- When Todd Reesing (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/player/profile?playerId=184336) returned home to Austin, Texas, this summer he saw a lot more fans wearing his school's jerseys and colors than ever before.

Winning a national championship in men's basketball and the Orange Bowl will do that, putting a capper on one of the finest seasons in Kansas' sports history.

"It wasn't a bad year," Reesing said. "We had one of the better years in school history with what we all did. To be a part of that is always special. People are always going to remember the year we won the Orange Bowl and the national championship in the same year."

In fact, the football success was much more unexpected than Kansas' hoop title -- even considering some of Bill Self's previous early tournament woes. The Jayhawks finished with a school-record 12-1 record and claimed a victory in a bowl after Jan. 1 for the first time in school history.

Not too shabby for a team that was expected to struggle to make the middle of the Big 12 North before last season.

"It was a lot of fun to be a part of that because it doesn't happen very often," Reesing said.

But that success has boosted anticipation for the upcoming season. The Jayhawks are expected to debut in the preseason top 25 for the first time since Coach Mark Mangino arrived in 2002.

"We embrace those expectations, because when I first arrived here, there were no anticipations for Kansas football," Mangino said. "But now, people are taking a look at our program and seeing a program that can be competitive in the Big 12."

To come close to duplicating that success, the Jayhawks will have to play through a much tougher schedule than last season. Kansas beat only three Division I-A teams in the regular season last year with winning overall records -- 8-6 Central Michigan, 7-6 Oklahoma State and 7-6 Texas A&M -- before the bowl triumph.

Kansas will tackle a significantly more difficult cross-divisional schedule when Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech return to their schedule for the first time in two seasons. A tough Friday night game at expected Big East bruiser South Florida on Sept. 12 will be another challenge.

"We've always wanted to compete with the best teams in the league. And the fact that we are picking up Oklahoma, Texas and Texas Tech is something that we look forward to," Mangino said. "That's the test for this program. We will never truly get over the hump until we are able to defeat those teams."

Past history isn't good for the Jayhawks, who have gone 1-13 against those South powers since 2000 and never made bowl trips in consecutive seasons in school history.

"We all talk about the schedule, and yes it's tougher," Mangino said. "But let's just think if that question had been asked in 2000 and Kansas had beaten Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado and Virginia Tech. That tells me we're making progress if you're asking me those questions. Times have changed, haven't they?"

The Jayhawks will enter the season with their share of questions. Reesing may struggle to duplicate last season's school-record numbers of 3,486 passing yards and 33 touchdown passes playing with two new offensive tackles and a new rushing threat to replace Brandon McAnderson.

"I don't see Todd pressing," Mangino said. "For me it's an opportunity for him to stand up and display leadership. The offense will count on him. I don't see him trying too hard because of that."

And the Kansas defense, which ranked fourth nationally in scoring defense and 12th overall, will be playing under new coordinator Clint Bowen after veteran Bill Young left for Miami.

His program's recent success has helped Mangino, who picked up a contract extension last week worth $2.3 million per year through 2012. It makes him the league's highest-paid coach other than Texas' Mack Brown and Oklahoma's Bob Stoops.

Such security was only a pipe dream before last season when Mangino was thought to be on the hot seat by many observers. The Jayhawks had posted a 25-35 record with one winning season in his first six seasons guiding the program.

The magical 2007 season changed all that. Kansas set an attendance record for the third-straight season and should be headed that way again. The program has moved into a palatial new 80,000-square foot $31 million football complex where players joke about the size of Mangino's new plasma-screen television set in his office.

"We're a better program than we were six or seven or eight years ago, there's no question about that." Mangino said. "If you aim low, you usually make it. But if you aim high you've got a chance. That's what we're trying to reach for."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/big12/0-1-66/Kansas-turnaround-has-Jayhawks-enthused-about-future.html

DJay23
07-23-2008, 09:49 AM
The season can't get here fast enough!

DJJasonp
07-23-2008, 11:14 AM
:eek:Another 14-page MU/KU thread coming right up!

Pablo
07-23-2008, 11:15 AM
:eek:Another 14-page MU/KU thread coming right up!I think we've all expelled too much energy in that thread the past few days to even start back in on this one just yet.

Ebolapox
07-23-2008, 11:22 AM
:eek:Another 14-page MU/KU thread coming right up!

change the replies per page to 80. that'll cut down on the muck :D

RockChalk
07-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Aug 30 can't get here fast enough

markk
07-23-2008, 11:32 AM
i think they might live to regret going on the road to south florida. they're tough and losing that one would probably let the air out. not the way you want to go into a tough conference schedule right out of the gate.

south florida, oklahoma and TT back to back, texas and missouri back to back... that is a fairly credible schedule.

OU is a throwaway game, no way to reasonably expect a win in Norman, so i think if they were offered 3-2 in those games they would take it.

HolyHandgernade
07-23-2008, 11:54 AM
South Florida will really give us a good measuring stick. Their right DE, Selvie, I think is his name, is a legitimate 1st round NFL prospect. He'll expose any shortcommings our freshman LT has there. The defense will get a great test from an experienced and talented QB. All this, of course, on the road. I'm glad I hav Fridays off, win or lose, should be a great early season contest.

-HH

DJay23
07-23-2008, 12:15 PM
i think they might live to regret going on the road to south florida. they're tough and losing that one would probably let the air out. not the way you want to go into a tough conference schedule right out of the gate.

south florida, oklahoma and TT back to back, texas and missouri back to back... that is a fairly credible schedule.

OU is a throwaway game, no way to reasonably expect a win in Norman, so i think if they were offered 3-2 in those games they would take it.

I do believe the trip to South Florida is a return trip on a home and home. They played us season before last in Lawrence, a game we squeeked out.

We may regret it, but the deal was made long ago.

eazyb81
07-23-2008, 12:19 PM
Here's the other article from this morning's paper on the ku football team. I wonder why you didn't post this one. :hmmm:

http://www.kansascity.com/167/story/716554.html

Posted on Tue, Jul. 22, 2008
Missouri loss still lingers for KU players

By JEFFREY FLANAGAN
The Kansas City Star
<TABLE><TBODY></TBODY></TABLE>As successful a season as Kansas had last year, there was The Loss that still lingers.

That, of course, would be the loss to Missouri at Arrowhead.

“It was hard to swallow,” KU linebacker Mike Rivera said. “It was a hard feeling to get rid of.”

Naturally, players try to use those types of losses as motivational tools.

“Well, it definitely humbled us,” said KU safety Darrell Stuckey. “But in a way, it made us who we are. We grew from that. And it did give us motivation to play harder.”

It also has provided motivation in the weight room this offseason.

“Oh, yeah, our strength coach reminds us of that loss all the time,” Stuckey said. “He’s like ‘OK, how many yards did Missouri get? What was the score?’

“So, it’s still there.”

And the memory of that loss will remain at least until Nov. 29 when the Tigers and Jayhawks meet in the Arrowhead sequel.

“There are a lot of games first, before that one,” Stuckey said. “But we’re all looking forward to that one. Last year I think it was the third-largest crowd (at Arrowhead) and this year we hope it’s the second-largest. You want it to keep getting bigger.”

The rivalry between Missouri and Kansas has taken on special meaning for guys like Stuckey, who grew up in Kansas City, Kan., because now both programs are on top.

“It’s two schools you always followed,” he said. “It’s more dear to me because I’m right from the heart of it all, right there. It’s a huge deal.”

---------------

Interesting that ku fans on here act like this loss to Mizzou last year was no big deal, but the ku players were devastated and humbled by it.

RockChalk
07-23-2008, 12:20 PM
I don't think we'll regret playing there. We would look worse if we bought out of the game. It'll be a good, early test to see where we are at. Plus, I dont' really think there will be any shame in losing at USF...both teams should be ranked headed into that game.

Pablo
07-23-2008, 12:28 PM
Interesting that ku fans on here act like this loss to Mizzou last year was no big deal, but the ku players were devastated and humbled by it.It was our only loss of the season. How would it not be a big deal?

HolyHandgernade
07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
Here's the other article from this morning's paper on the ku football team. I wonder why you didn't post this one. :hmmm:

http://www.kansascity.com/167/story/716554.html

Posted on Tue, Jul. 22, 2008
Missouri loss still lingers for KU players

Interesting that ku fans on here act like this loss to Mizzou last year was no big deal, but the ku players were devastated and humbled by it.

No big deal? I wish you guys would actually quote somebody when you say "ku fans". A loss should devestate and humble you, big revelation there. Maybe the MU players should have been a little more humbled an devestated from their Norman trip while preparing for the Big 12 championship?

I'm glad the coaches are using this as motivation. Puts all the pressure on the MU side at gametime. I'm sure MU will just call upon the institution's rich history of overcoming adversity and pulling victory from certain doom and.....

:redface:

Well, I'm sure they'll figure out something despite any moments like that. Revenge is a dish best served cold!!!!!

-HH

Skip Towne
07-23-2008, 02:16 PM
This article plus another one was in the sports pages of the Tulsa World today. Along with a big pic of Mangino and a smaller one of Reesing.

HC_Chief
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
This article plus another one was in the sports pages of the Tulsa World today. Along with a big pic of Mangino and a smaller one of Reesing.

That post should include a rim shot.

Lzen
07-23-2008, 02:21 PM
No big deal? I wish you guys would actually quote somebody when you say "ku fans"....

Don't try to ruin their dream. Bad KU fan!!....Bad!!!

Lzen
07-23-2008, 02:22 PM
That post should include a rim shot.

No kidding. ROFL But I don't know that Skip was trying to make a funny.

Lzen
07-23-2008, 02:32 PM
<mcc head=""></mcc> <mcc subhead="">Mangino says OU, Texas, Tech, true test for KU

</mcc> <mcc byline1="">By Tully Corcoran
</mcc> <mcc byline2="">The Capital-Journal
</mcc> Published Wednesday, July 23, 2008
<mcc story=""> KANSAS CITY, Mo. – One part Johnny Bench, one part airport screener, three parts rust-belt roughneck, Mark Mangino lets nothing slip past him.
And entering a season in which his Jayhawks play Texas, Oklahoma and Texas Tech, Mangino will be dadgummed if he's going to let anybody rip his 2007 schedule even one more time.
<!-- side boxes go here --> <!-- these can be included in a single master-box or they can be individuals with css controlling float/clear --> <!-- CMS - tools are print, reply, email small icons --> <!-- print --> [/URL]
<mcc phototable=""> http://images.morris.com/images/cjonline/mdControlled/cms/2008/07/23/308190080.jpg (javascript:window.print())
ORLIN WAGNER / The Associated Press
Kansas coach Mark Mangino listens to a reporters question Tuesday during Big 12 Football Media Days in Kansas City, Mo.

</mcc> KANSAS
2007 finish: 12-1, 7-1 (Orange Bowl)
Returning starters: 6 offense, 9 defense
Star power: QB Todd Reesing, LB Joe Mortensen
Schedule: A30 Florida International, S6 Louisiana Tech, S12 at South Florida, S20 Sam Houston State, O4 at Iowa State, O11 Colorado, O18 at Oklahoma, O25 Texas Tech, N1 Kansas State, N8 at Nebraska, N15 Texas, N29 Missouri

"Let's back up a minute here," he said Tuesday at Big 12 Media Days.
It is important to know that this was a vintage Mangino move. He does not answer questions under what he deems false pretenses, or even ambiguous ones. Then, he continued.
"And think for a minute that Kansas' football coach has been asked about his 2007 schedule not being tough in a year where they defeated Nebraska, Texas A&M, Colorado and Virginia Tech," he said. "That tells me we're making progress, if you're asking me those questions."
Touche.
Yet after a 12-1 season, Mangino doesn't believe his program has scaled the proverbial hump and doesn't think it will have done so until it has climbed Mt. LongSooner. Fortunately (presumably) for him, Texas and Oklahoma are on Kansas' schedule this season, as is likely Top-25 pick Texas Tech.
Mangino has his hiking boots on.
"That's the test for our program," Mangino said. "We will never truly get over the hump in my eyes — I don't know how anybody else sees it — but in my eyes, until we are able to defeat those teams as well."
This, of course, is an opinion grounded in probability. Though Kansas was technically one win from perfection last season, the Jayhawks were actually three wins from a national title.
A win over Missouri would have put them in the Big 12 championship game, where a win over Oklahoma would have put them in the BCS national championship game. And since either Texas or Oklahoma has played in the Big 12 championship game in 10 of the league's 12 seasons, it is likely that playing for a national title in the Big 12 means beating one or both of them.
For safety Darrell Stuckey, the schedule change is a re-focusing mechanism.
"It forces us not to be complacent, seeing our schedule changed so much," he said. "I think any time you have a team to where they go 12-1 and play the same exact teams the next year, you could see them becoming complacent, (thinking) 'Oh, we beat them last year, we did this to them last year, we did that to them last year.' Seeing our schedule in the south has changed, it gives us new goals, a new challenge, opens our eyes and makes us see we still have a lot further to go."
A quick history lesson reveals the same.
Since the inception of the Big 12, the only time Kansas has beaten either team was a 20-17 win over Oklahoma at KU's Memorial Stadium in 1997. That was a John Blake-coached Sooners squad that finished 4-8. KU is 2-6 all-time against Texas, the last win coming in 1938.
But these are different times, and the Jayhawks aren't afraid.
"We have more confidence in ourselves," junior quarterback Todd Reesing said. "Not that we lacked confidence before, but we really expect to be on the big stage now."
For both KU's game at Oklahoma on Oct. 18 and at home against Texas Nov. 15, the stage looks to be huge. Oklahoma, ranked third or fourth in most of the available preseason rankings, returns 25 starters off a Fiesta Bowl team. The pundits don't yet know what to make of the Longhorns, who went 10-3 last season but return just nine starters. Texas ranks anywhere from No. 8 to No. 21 in the preseason publications.
For the first time since the Nixon administration, Kansas appears to be approximately as good as both. Three All-Americans are gone, and the Jayhawks have uncertainty at both offensive tackle spots, running back and the interior defensive line.
But Mangino doesn't sound worried, although he never does.
"Our situation today as I sit here is no different that it was a year ago," he said of his offensive line. "Last year we had two returning tackles and no returning centers or guards that had played significantly. This year, it's just reversed. … I think it's the approach we take with these players that's more important than their actual ability or experience."
KU's most recent depth chart lists redshirt freshman Jeff Spikes as the starting left tackle and senior Matt Darton starting on the right side, with sophomore Ian Wolfe and juco transfer Nathan D'Cunha playing backups, respectively. The lot of them has two Division I starts.
Kansas also is unresolved at running back and defensive tackle. Junior college offensive player of the year Jocques Crawford enters fall practice competing with junior Jake Sharp for the tailback spot.
Sharp rushed for 821 yards and seven touchdowns as the No. 2 guy last season, but Kansas obviously did not sign Crawford — a near 2,000-yard rusher as a sophomore at Cisco Junior College — to throw cut blocks on third-and-seven.
Yet with fall practice beginning in 10 days, the depth chart shows Sharp as the starter and junior Angus Quigley as the No. 2. Mangino is waiting for proof Crawford can perform at the Big 12 level.
"We'll find out when he steps on the field Aug. (2) what he'll be able to do," Mangino said. "We have high expectations for him. Like any other player that comes from junior college or high school, he has to prove he can play at this level every down. I think he will, but we'll wait and see."
Beyond those three position battles, Kansas appears to have an established depth chart, which is the product of having exposed a load of young players to game-day pressures last season.
On offense, only Spikes, Darton and tight end Bradley Dedeaux lack significant starting experience. Defensively, the only currently slotted starter who wasn't a regular contributor last season is sophomore defensive tackle Jamal Greene.
The bottom line is, Mangino thinks he has another good team, one that's ready to scale the south schedule hump.
"Yeah, it's a little bit more difficult schedule than it was a year ago," he said. "We embrace those challenges. We want to play teams like Oklahoma and Texas and Texas Tech. That's what it's all about."
Tully Corcoran can be reached at (785) 295-5652 or ully.corcoran@cjonline.com.
[url]http://www.cjonline.com/stories/072308/haw_308190029.shtml
</mcc>

Reerun_KC
07-23-2008, 02:35 PM
God its good to be a Jayhawk!

CoMoChief
07-23-2008, 02:44 PM
KU will lose at least 5 games this season.

Reerun_KC
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
KU will lose at least 5 games this season.
Probably, without Kauns presence, they will struggle early inside.

:)

kepp
07-23-2008, 02:48 PM
God its good to be an imaginary cartoon bird with shoes!

fyp

CoMoChief
07-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Probably, without Kauns presence, they will struggle early inside.

:)

You sir.......................are a bastard.

I'd be okay if KU lost only 5 games nexxt season. They just all need to be before March :)

Bearcat
07-23-2008, 03:59 PM

Humbled? Of course, they were on the cover of SI that week and both teams were out to prove they were legit. They're freakin' college kids, of course they were humbled. Of course the coaches are going to use the game as motivation... they'll use anything they can find for motivation... a loss is the most obvious.

Devastated? Riiight, glad they had a month off before playing Virginia Tech to get over the devastation. LMAO No loss is devastating if there isn't a winning tradition or high expectations. I was over that game when I woke up the next morning, and if nothing else I think the players were able to cope after the BCS selection show.

It was an 8 point loss to another undefeated team that came down to a couple of plays where we backed off Daniel when we should applied pressure.... boo-f***ing-whoo. :rolleyes:

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 04:03 PM
Humbled? Of course, they were on the cover of SI that week and both teams were out to prove they were legit. They're freakin' college kids, of course they were humbled. Of course the coaches are going to use the game as motivation... they'll use anything they can find for motivation... a loss is the most obvious.

Devastated? Riiight, glad they had a month off before playing Virginia Tech to get over the devastation. LMAO No loss is devastating if there isn't a winning tradition or high expectations. I was over that game when I woke up the next morning, and if nothing else I think the players were able to cope after the BCS selection show.

It was an 8 point loss to another undefeated team that came down to a couple of plays where we backed off Daniel when we should applied pressure.... boo-f***ing-whoo. :rolleyes:

Actually, we had one loss by the time beat you at Arrowhead.

duncan_idaho
07-23-2008, 04:17 PM

You don't go 40/49 because the other team backs off on a 'few plays.'

Missouri picked kU apart consistently and converted about a dozen third and longs.

The game came down to: Missouri having MUCH better skill players than anyone kU had played; Missouri's OL being much better than any team kU had played (in addition to the pathetic pass-rushing "skills" of kU's DL).

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 04:25 PM

Missouri picked kU apart consistently and converted about a dozen third and longs.

The game came down to: Missouri having MUCH better skill players than anyone kU had played; Missouri's OL being much better than any team kU had played (in addition to the pathetic pass-rushing "skills" of kU's DL).

Yes, but if you remember in the last half of the 3rd quarter and the 4th quarter we definitely pulled the reigns back a bit and ku took advantage.

Bearcat
07-23-2008, 04:51 PM

There was a huge difference in speed, and I'd agree with you for about 3 quarters.... but if Kansas was 'devastated' by being down 21 in the third, they didn't really show it in the 4th. Regardless of what you say about Mizzou rolling over, Kansas didn't either, which further proves my point about not being devastated.

"About a dozen" is at least half a dozen short, since MU was 6/15 on 3rd down conversions.... and scrolling through the game I counted three 3rd and long conversions. Every one possession game comes down to a few (or fewer) plays, regardless of how many chances you get.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 04:56 PM
There was a huge difference in speed, and I'd agree with you for about 3 quarters.... but if Kansas was 'devastated' by being down 21 in the third, they didn't really show it in the 4th. Regardless of what you say about Mizzou rolling over, Kansas didn't either, which further proves my point about not being devastated.

"About a dozen" is at least half a dozen short, since MU was 6/15 on 3rd down conversions.... and scrolling through the game I counted three 3rd and long conversions. Every one possession game comes down to a few (or fewer) plays, regardless of how many chances you get.

Agreed. ku responded when down by 21 and MU's D responded on the last (famous or infamous) drive.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2008, 05:07 PM

When you should have applied pressure? Kansas' defensive line sucks. You guys are completely incapable of applying pressure.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 05:19 PM
When you should have applied pressure? Kansas' defensive line sucks. You guys are completely incapable of applying pressure.

Well, they were only rushing 4 most of the time, I believe. I'm not sure why I'm defending ku, but I am. They dropped 7 back on many plays. I was a bit hammered at the game so I could be wrong.

Skip Towne
07-23-2008, 05:22 PM

I thought KU led the Big XII in defense last year. I know I read that somewhere.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Well, they were only rushing 4 most of the time, I believe. I'm not sure why I'm defending ku, but I am. They dropped 7 back on many plays. I was a bit hammered at the game so I could be wrong.

Yes, I realize they were only rushing 4. Hence why I said their defensive line sucks, considering the defensive line consists of 4 guys. Their defensive ends are pretty bad.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 05:25 PM
Yes, I realize they were only rushing 4. Hence why I said their defensive line sucks, considering the defensive line consists of 4 guys. Their defensive ends are pretty bad.

Blitzing? Many teams are prone to sending a linebacker in passing situations. You said they couldn't get pressure, and I replied with they only were sending 4 guys.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2008, 05:26 PM
I thought KU led the Big XII in defense last year. I know I read that somewhere.

Doesn't mean they can pressure the quarterback. Their sack numbers from the defensive line are pathetic.

Besides, forgive us Missouri fans for not being impressed with their defense.

kcchiefsus
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Blitzing? Many teams are prone to sending a linebacker in passing situations. You said they couldn't get pressure, and I replied with they only were sending 4 guys.

Yes and I also said their defensive line sucks. I don't know about you but when somebody mentions pressuring the quarterback and the defensive line sucking in the same sentence it is probably not just a coincidence. They couldn't get pressure because they were only sending 4 guys, 4 guys who happen to be part of a pretty crappy defensive line when it comes to getting pressure on the QB.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 05:29 PM
Doesn't mean they can pressure the quarterback. Their sack numbers from the defensive line are pathetic.

Besides, forgive us Missouri fans for not being impressed with their defense.

I am a huge missouri fan. Been a season ticket holder in both sports for several years. It doesn't mean I can't remain objective about other teams. Look at Arkansas, no pressure on the quarterback becuase they were dropping 8 sometimes 9 guys. Chase couldnt complete a pass so we ran the ball....similar to the ku game

Bearcat
07-23-2008, 05:30 PM

Giving him four days in the pocket didn't work very well, as seen on the 2nd touchdown (iirc) and the 40/49 passing.... yes, there were a couple of 2nd and 3rd -and-longs where it was painfully obvious they should have brought the house instead of bringing three. Devastatingly obvious.

Mizzou_8541
07-23-2008, 05:34 PM
Giving him four days in the pocket didn't work very well, as seen on the 2nd touchdown (iirc) and the 40/49 passing.... yes, there were a couple of 2nd and 3rd -and-longs where it was painfully obvious they should have brought the house instead of bringing three. Devastatingly obvious.

Yeah, I know. The spread is dangerous to say the least. I was simply pointing out to kcchiefsus that Kansas could bring the pressure if they wanted to, they just elected to defend the spread a different way

markk
07-23-2008, 05:38 PM
the most telling difference between the grades of talent in the big 12 is missouri's offensive line dominated in the Kansas game, and then were dominated by oklahoma's front 7. these teams have players but they aren't getting them beating down their doors at the level of a powerhouse like OU does quite yet.

both teams stumbled when it mattered but it was the right year for it to happen. missouri had two shots at oklahoma and couldn't beat them. they didn't deserve a BCS berth. if not for general mediocrity across D1 and things happening like west virginia choking against Pitt or USC losing to Stanford, kansas wouldn't have backed into one either.

they can both prove it this year... missouri has an easier road getting back to the title game but they will still have to win it to prove they have progressed. kansas can prove last year wasn't a product of scheduling by having 4 good teams on their slate instead of just one that they lost to.

it's going to be an exciting year.

Skip Towne
07-23-2008, 05:40 PM
Yeah, I know. The spread is dangerous to say the least. I was simply pointing out to kcchiefsus that Kansas could bring the pressure if they wanted to, they just elected to defend the spread a different way

I'm guessing Mangino got help from Bob Stoops since he used to work for him.