PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs KCSTAR: Chiefs have no excuses not to get Dorsey, Albert signed

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 06:19 AM
http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/24 (http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/24)

<!-- END tabs --><!-- begin content -->The Chiefs really don't have any excuses for not having first-round picks Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert signed by time they leave for training camp in River Falls, Wis., on Thursday.

The first four picks of the draft already are signed, sealed and delivered, putting Dorsey, the fifth pick, on the clock.

In past years, when first-round picks have been late to sign, Chiefs president Carl Peterson could justify it by pointing to the slotting system that determines rookie contracts. Neither the Chiefs nor the player's agent wanted to make a deal until they saw the contracts signed by the players drafted ahead of him.

Well, here are the reported contracts:
1. OT Jake Long, Miami, five years, $57.5 million, $30 million guaranteed.
2. DE Chris Long, St. Louis, six years, $56.5 million, $20 guaranteed.
3. QB Matt Ryan, Atlanta, six years, $72 million, $34 million guaranteed. (Don't forget quarterbacks command a little more).
4. RB Darren McFadden, Oakland, six years, $60 million, $26 million guaranteed.

Also, the Chiefs will look at what the fifth pick from last year's draft recieved and add 5-10 percent to it. OT Levi Brown of the Arizona Cardinals signed a six-year deal for $62 million, with $18 guaranteed.
Albert, the Chiefs' second pick in the first round was the 15th overall pick, and on Wednesday, the player taken ahead of him _ and who plays the same position, Chicago's Brett Williams _ signed his deal, so the Chiefs could use the contract of the 14th pick as a gauge.

Three other first-rounders have signed: QB Joe Flacco (18th) by Baltimore; TE Dustin Keller (30th), New York Jets; and free safety Kenny Phillips (31st ) by the Jets.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 06:25 AM
Carl is being his typical self. He will wait for the #6 guy to sign, if he hasn't already before signing Dorsey I am sure. Not sure how that would benefit us really financially so I will chalk this up to CArl's annual camp **** up.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 06:51 AM
Carl is being his typical self. He will wait for the #6 guy to sign, if he hasn't already before signing Dorsey I am sure. Not sure how that would benefit us really financially so I will chalk this up to CArl's annual camp **** up.
Wellll reports out of NY say Gholston will be in camp today or tommorrow so theres another reason off the plate for King Carl to justify a late signing.

petegz28
07-24-2008, 06:55 AM
Wellll reports out of NY say Gholston will be in camp today or tommorrow so theres another reason off the plate for King Carl to justify a late signing.

I saw that and I agree. There is no excuse now not to have Dorsey in camp by Monday at the latest.

ChiefGator
07-24-2008, 07:23 AM
Well, actually, I can see a couple points of contention right now...

"2. DE Chris Long, St. Louis, six years, $56.5 million, $20 guaranteed."

"Also, the Chiefs will look at what the fifth pick from last year's draft recieved and add 5-10 percent to it. OT Levi Brown of the Arizona Cardinals signed a six-year deal for $62 million, with $18 guaranteed."

So, are we supposed to offer Dorsey a six-year deal for $68 million, when the 2nd overall pick got a six-year deal for $56 million? Those numbers are $12 million apart.

Also, Dorsey is following the #4 pick who got paid more than the #2 pick, who is also a defensive lineman.

There are plenty of discrepancies here.

Be interesting to see what Gholston gets.

Nightfyre
07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
Well, actually, I can see a couple points of contention right now...

"2. DE Chris Long, St. Louis, six years, $56.5 million, $20 guaranteed."

"Also, the Chiefs will look at what the fifth pick from last year's draft recieved and add 5-10 percent to it. OT Levi Brown of the Arizona Cardinals signed a six-year deal for $62 million, with $18 guaranteed."

So, are we supposed to offer Dorsey a six-year deal for $68 million, when the 2nd overall pick got a six-year deal for $56 million? Those numbers are $12 million apart.

Also, Dorsey is following the #4 pick who got paid more than the #2 pick, who is also a defensive lineman.

There are plenty of discrepancies here.

Be interesting to see what Gholston gets.

59 mill with 19 guaranteed. I'll be taking my commission now.