BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:31 AM
Detials to follow

Rooster
07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
:hmmm::hmmm: Do tell.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:32 AM
King Carl is disappointed with Dorsey's agent. He doesn't want to negoiate with the Chiefs. Give us a call when your ready to negioate.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Its all on Dorsey's agent now. The Chiefs will not talk to him anymore unless Dorsey'sagent calls King Carl.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Albert will be on the team plane today. 5 year deal.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
King Carl is saying that Dorsey's agent is letting other players and slotting do his negoiating.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2008, 07:35 AM
I love it when Carl "Per Chiefs policy terms of contracts and negotiations won't be made public" Peterson gets all hypocritical and complains to the media about the agent. A few months ago weren't there reports that Dorsey's agent had done many amicable deals with KC before?

booyaf2
07-24-2008, 07:36 AM
PBJ

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:37 AM
Chiefs have made offer to Dorsey in early June. Agent indicated on Monday that he wasn't ready to negoiate until the #6, #7, #8 picks have been signed.

Nightfyre
07-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Chiefs have made offer to Dorsey in early June. Agent indicated on Monday that he wasn't ready to negoiate until the #6, #7, #8 picks have been signed.

JFC. I can see why carl is pissed.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
JFC. I can see why carl is pissed.
Remember there is always two sides to a story. If this is true and I'm Dorsey I'd be on the phone to my agent going WTF dude?

RealSNR
07-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Chiefs have made offer to Dorsey in early June. Agent indicated on Monday that he wasn't ready to negoiate until the #6, #7, #8 picks have been signed.**** my socks :cuss:

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:41 AM
King Carl: Remember your talking to an old coach.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
Didn't answer the question about River Falls next year. Talked about the river running through town and fishing instead.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2008, 07:43 AM
I'm sure Croyle, Huard and Thigpen are happy that Albert is signed and will be in camp learning how to protect them.

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2008, 07:47 AM
Albert in was my one wish. He needs the practice time more IMO, and its not like this year is gonna be a banner one, so Dorsey doesn't need to get in quick to ensure our SB win... yeah, I'd like to have him in but I don't think Carl is in a position to be dicking around these days.

Lil Hunt is probably keeping close tabs on him these days, at least in terms of a GM. Carl is one of the top team presidents in the NFL, he's won NFL executive of the year or something like that twice. However, it's tough to wear both hats of GM & President. One is strictly looking to maximize the franchise's profits and the other is in direct conflict with getting the best 54 on the field.

I have a feeling Dorsey's camp still feels that he was the best guy in the draft and since he's at one of the premium positions deserving of a deal larger than he's "slotted."
This isn't something out of the norm. When Leinart got drafted, he ended up signing a contract that was in the top 5 (guaranteed & prospective) for all the 1st rounders- even though he was far from being drafted in the top 5. Again, he plays a "premium" position, and Condon knows what he's doing b/c he gets his clients great deals, yet front offices like and respect working with him. BTW, he and Carl are pretty good buds, and often would grab lunch on the Plaza before CAA moved it's offices temporarily to St. Louis for a few years.

We'll get him in, and for those that are getting pissy. Think of it this way, if you're running a business wouldn't you try to negotiate the best price for your supplies (players being the supply in this matter) That's just good business. Obviously you can't be disrespectful in your offer, and its not like the guy is an established vet who has dictated a so called "DT" sweatheart deal. Plus, if you can get the best possible deal on player A, B, & C, that frees up additional money to possibly spend on free agent or whoever D, E, or F. The key is to find a mutually agreeable number where you don't fleece one player that is productive to the point that he becomes unsatisfied and feels he's being ripped off. Ironically, they get pissed at the team, when really they should be pissed at their agent. Can anyone say Ricky William's contract that Master P negotiated for him...

chasedude
07-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Chiefs have made offer to Dorsey in early June. Agent indicated on Monday that he wasn't ready to negotiate until the #6, #7, #8 picks have been signed.

Greedy Dorsey

blueballs
07-24-2008, 07:50 AM
rotoworld is reporting that Mayo #10 is signed

eazyb81
07-24-2008, 07:52 AM
Sweet, good deal. We needed Albert to be signed quickly if he was going to contribute this year.

kepp
07-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Good deal. He needs all of training camp. I guess they all need it, but Dorsey could probably get away with less.

Anyong Bluth
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Greedy Dorsey

How amazing the tide shifts when one side goes public to sway public opinion.

Maybe the Chiefs did offer in June, but that offer could have been clearly low, and now that he's got Albert in, he's getting some pubic slack and going on the offensive to get Dorsey's boy to the table.

My guess is he is doing this to get Dorsey's agent to step up and talk. No f*cking reason to say you won't negotiate until the lower 3 picks are in, that's just absurd.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Albert in was my one wish. He needs the practice time more IMO, and its not like this year is gonna be a banner one, so Dorsey doesn't need to get in quick to ensure our SB win... yeah, I'd like to have him in but I don't think Carl is in a position to be dicking around these days.

Lil Hunt is probably keeping close tabs on him these days, at least in terms of a GM. Carl is one of the top team presidents in the NFL, he's won NFL executive of the year or something like that twice. However, it's tough to wear both hats of GM & President. One is strictly looking to maximize the franchise's profits and the other is in direct conflict with getting the best 54 on the field.

I have a feeling Dorsey's camp still feels that he was the best guy in the draft and since he's at one of the premium positions deserving of a deal larger than he's "slotted."
This isn't something out of the norm. When Leinart got drafted, he ended up signing a contract that was in the top 5 (guaranteed & prospective) for all the 1st rounders- even though he was far from being drafted in the top 5. Again, he plays a "premium" position, and Condon knows what he's doing b/c he gets his clients great deals, yet front offices like and respect working with him. BTW, he and Carl are pretty good buds, and often would grab lunch on the Plaza before CAA moved it's offices temporarily to St. Louis for a few years.

We'll get him in, and for those that are getting pissy. Think of it this way, if you're running a business wouldn't you try to negotiate the best price for your supplies (players being the supply in this matter) That's just good business. Obviously you can't be disrespectful in your offer, and its not like the guy is an established vet who has dictated a so called "DT" sweatheart deal. Plus, if you can get the best possible deal on player A, B, & C, that frees up additional money to possibly spend on free agent or whoever D, E, or F. The key is to find a mutually agreeable number where you don't fleece one player that is productive to the point that he becomes unsatisfied and feels he's being ripped off. Ironically, they get pissed at the team, when really they should be pissed at their agent. Can anyone say Ricky William's contract that Master P negotiated for him...

You're being too rational!

DAMMIT CARL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 07:56 AM
Good deal. He needs all of training camp. I guess they all need it, but Dorsey could probably get away with less.
Thats my take also. The OL needs to jell and get better.

You can just plug Dorsey in and say...go get the guy with the ball.

InChiefsHeaven
07-24-2008, 07:57 AM
This is excellent news...Dorsey will come along. I figure it's probably more the agent than Carl right now, especially if he's waiting on these other guys to sign...which is ironic because those guys are probably waiting for Dorsey to be signed...

...this may actually tear a hole in the atmosphere and throw a **** into the time\space continuum...

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
This is excellent news...Dorsey will come along. I figure it's probably more the agent than Carl right now, especially if he's waiting on these other guys to sign...which is ironic because those guys are probably waiting for Dorsey to be signed...

...this may actually tear a hole in the atmosphere and throw a **** into the time\space continuum...
Spielberg needs to do a football/special effects movie anyway.

Coogs
07-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Albert in was my one wish. He needs the practice time more IMO, and its not like this year is gonna be a banner one,

I still think this season could be an OK season. Heck, who thought Cleveland was going to be any good last year? Our schedule is littered with teams that selected in the top 10 in the draft. And I can not see that those teams have done a whole lot more to improve their teams than the Chiefs have. The Jets brought in a bunch of older guys, but that doesn't always mean things are going to be better. Atlanta? What have they done? Miami? Complete overhaul and further behind the Chiefs IMO. Oakland? A couple of nice pickups, but who know with them.

I like the younger guys route the Chiefs have picked. I expect to see a lot more passion and energy from our team. If we can get out of the gates strong before the Bye week, who knows?

ct
07-24-2008, 08:05 AM
This is indeed excellent news!! I've been saying for awhile that while Dorsey is obviously the higher rated player than Albert and Flowers, I believe it's much more important to get the latter 2 in camp on time than Dorsey. He can wait honestly, and I don't think it will impact his devleopment 1 damn bit. Flowers and Albert will be in pretty much on time (Albert might be a day late, but they don't do anything today anyway).

Gotta give some props to the King Carl and the Chiefs FO on this draft class. Keep working on Dorsey's agent, it'll happen in a week or so.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 08:06 AM
Flowers and Albert will be in pretty much on time (Albert might be a day late, but they don't do anything today anyway).

Gotta give some props to the King Carl and the Chiefs FO on this draft class. Keep working on Dorsey's agent, it'll happen in a week or so.

Albert will be on the team plane today as they leave for River Falls. He won't miss anything.

Sure-Oz
07-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Great news on Albert getting signed and in....now lets get Dorsey going...

If the agent is waiting Carl can't do shit about that....hopefully dorsey wont hold out during pre-season.

Frazod
Excellent. :thumb:

RockChalk
I think maybe we can get off King Carl's back for a day or so. Overall, I'm pretty pleased that we have everyone signed in time for camp, except Dorsey of course. Like most people on the board, I'm just glad that Albert will be there from the beginning...very important for his overall development IMO

El Jefe
07-24-2008, 08:08 AM
Great news.

Buehler445
07-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I'm glad Albert is in. IMO, he's more important.Posted via Mobile Device

ct
07-24-2008, 08:14 AM
Albert will be on the team plane today as they leave for River Falls. He won't miss anything.

even better then!

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 08:15 AM
Yep, I think thats the universal opinion.

DeezNutz
07-24-2008, 08:16 AM
:rockon:

Frazod
07-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Yeah, Dorsey's absence won't get Croyle killed by Jared Allen.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Yeah, Dorsey's absence won't get Croyle killed by Jared Allen.
I don't see Allen taking it out on his former teammates. But ya never know.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-24-2008, 08:56 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/24/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_t_branden_albert/

Chiefs Agree to Terms with T Branden Albert
Jul 24, 2008, 9:38:04 AM

albertKansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Thursday that the club has agreed to terms of a five-year contract with T Branden Albert. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.

The Chiefs have now agreed to terms with 10 of their 12 draft picks from the 2008 draft class. Albert joins second-round pick CB Brandon Flowers (35th overall), third-round selections RB Jamaal Charles (73rd overall), TE Brad Cottam (76th overall) and S DaJuan Morgan (82nd overall), fourth-round pick WR Will Franklin (105th overall), fifth-round selection CB Brandon Carr (140th overall), sixth-round picks T Barry Richardson (170th overall) and WR Kevin Robinson (182nd overall) and seventh-round pick DE Brian Johnston (210th overall) as Chiefs signees.

Albert (6-5, 316) joined the Chiefs as the club’s second of two first-round selections (15th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. He started all 37 games he appeared in at Virginia. He registered 94 knockdowns and 21 key blocks in touchdown resulting drives in his final two seasons. Albert became the fourth freshman offensive lineman in school history to start a bowl game, earning third-team freshman All-American honors.

Albert started all 13 contests for the Cavaliers in 2007, logging 54 knockdowns and key blocks on twelve touchdown resulting drives. During his junior campaign, he graded out at 83.54 blocking consistency, while serving as a team captain. He earned first-team All-Alantic Coast Conference honors and was named third-team All-America by The NFL Draft Report and Associated Press.

The Glenn Burnie, Maryland native was a first-team All-Metro selection by the Baltimore Sun at Glenn Burnie High School. Albert was a two-way starter, producing 65 tackles as a senior.

beach tribe
07-24-2008, 09:05 AM
Well, I hate the bastard, but I have to say, way to go Carl.

Bill Lundberg
07-24-2008, 09:08 AM
maybe this would be enough to get Dorsey done.

Jets | Team close to contract with Gholston
Wed, 23 Jul 2008 19:38:51 -0700 Dave Hutchinson, of The Star-Ledger, reports the New York Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) are close to a contract with rookie LB Vernon Gholston (http://www.kffl.com/player/18203/nfl). Gholston could be on the practice field as early as Thursday, July 24, or Friday, July 25. The stumbling block in contract talks is that Gholston wants a five-year deal and the Jets (http://www.kffl.com/team/27/nfl) want him to sign a six-year contract, according to someone with knowledge of the negotiations.

Rausch
07-24-2008, 09:10 AM
The Chiefs have now agreed to terms with 10 of their 12 draft picks from the 2008 draft class.

It's a sad day for the dark-cloud group...

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 09:12 AM
maybe this would be enough to get Dorsey done.
According to King Carl the agent wants #7 and #8 signed before they can talk.

Mr. Arrowhead
07-24-2008, 09:13 AM
we just have our first pick and last pick left to sign lol

TEX
07-24-2008, 09:16 AM
I still think this season could be an OK season. Heck, who thought Cleveland was going to be any good last year? Our schedule is littered with teams that selected in the top 10 in the draft. And I can not see that those teams have done a whole lot more to improve their teams than the Chiefs have. The Jets brought in a bunch of older guys, but that doesn't always mean things are going to be better. Atlanta? What have they done? Miami? Complete overhaul and further behind the Chiefs IMO. Oakland? A couple of nice pickups, but who know with them.

I like the younger guys route the Chiefs have picked. I expect to see a lot more passion and energy from our team. If we can get out of the gates strong before the Bye week, who knows?

The Chiefs can only do so much with Herm.

Adept Havelock
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
One down, one to go. :clap:

R&GHomer
07-24-2008, 09:17 AM
I have no love for Carl, but he deserves his props on this one. All but two signed before training camp? WTF, is this bizzaro world. Fantastic work Carl! Haters say what you want, but azz hat got this one right

Rausch
07-24-2008, 09:19 AM
The Chiefs can only do so much with Herm.

Considering our oustanding accomplishments with Marty, Gun, and DV I really don't see what we have to lose...

JBucc
07-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Sweet monkey piss.

evolve27
07-24-2008, 09:23 AM
Dorsey left, at least we can get good scouting about the learning curve Albert has at LT and if he progresses through camp or not.

el borracho
07-24-2008, 09:28 AM
... Our schedule is littered with teams that selected in the top 10 in the draft. And I can not see that those teams have done a whole lot more to improve their teams than the Chiefs have. The Jets brought in a bunch of older guys, but that doesn't always mean things are going to be better. Atlanta? What have they done? Miami? Complete overhaul and further behind the Chiefs IMO.

Of these teams you mention I think Miami has the most potential. Miami will also be an interesting contrast to the Chiefs as Miami spent (IIRC) 5 of their 8 picks on linemen while the Chiefs spent less than half of their picks on linemen so we will see the different rebuild strategies in effect.
Miami also has a young QB who was rated pretty high coming out of college (early 2nd round). Miami also just traded away their best defensive player. I think it will be very interesting to compare Miami to the Chiefs in the next two years.

Chiefnj2
07-24-2008, 09:32 AM
I don't think Parcells would have traded Taylor if he was younger.

RealSNR
07-24-2008, 09:38 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/24/chiefs_agree_to_terms_with_t_branden_albert/

Chiefs Agree to Terms with T Branden Albert
Jul 24, 2008, 9:38:04 AM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Thursday that the club has agreed to terms of a five-year contract with T Branden Albert. As per Chiefs policy, no other terms of the agreement were made available.

The Chiefs have now agreed to terms with 10 of their 12 draft picks from the 2008 draft class. Albert joins second-round pick CB Brandon Flowers (35th overall), third-round selections RB Jamaal Charles (73rd overall), TE Brad Cottam (76th overall) and S DaJuan Morgan (82nd overall), fourth-round pick WR Will Franklin (105th overall), fifth-round selection CB Brandon Carr (140th overall), sixth-round picks T Barry Richardson (170th overall) and WR Kevin Robinson (182nd overall) and seventh-round pick DE Brian Johnston (210th overall) as Chiefs signees.

Albert (6-5, 316) joined the Chiefs as the club’s second of two first-round selections (15th overall) in the 2008 NFL Draft. He started all 37 games he appeared in at Virginia. He registered 94 knockdowns and 21 key blocks in touchdown resulting drives in his final two seasons. Albert became the fourth freshman offensive lineman in school history to start a bowl game, earning third-team freshman All-American honors.

Albert started all 13 contests for the Cavaliers in 2007, logging 54 knockdowns and key blocks on twelve touchdown resulting drives. During his junior campaign, he graded out at 83.54 blocking consistency, while serving as a team captain. He earned first-team All-Alantic Coast Conference honors and was named third-team All-America by The NFL Draft Report and Associated Press.

The Glenn Burnie, Maryland native was a first-team All-Metro selection by the Baltimore Sun at Glenn Burnie High School. Albert was a two-way starter, producing 65 tackles as a senior.

kregger
07-24-2008, 09:41 AM
I don't miss DV much, but I sure as hell miss him calling out agents during training camp. Just think of the names he could call Tom Condon.

Hoover
07-24-2008, 09:42 AM
I'm pretty pumped to have Albert signed.

I think our line will gel this year, but guys like Rudy need to step up and take ownership of their job quickly. It will also be important to see who will nail down the RG spot.

RealSNR
07-24-2008, 09:48 AM
I'm pretty pumped to have Albert signed.

I think our line will gel this year, but guys like Rudy need to step up and take ownership of their job quickly. It will also be important to see who will nail down the RG spot.The Chiefs feel content letting Adrian Jones take it, which is stupid, IMO. I wish they'd give it to one of the young guys and just make them play through the troubles. It's RG for crying out loud. Not saying any of them will be Will Shields or anything, but by the end of the season you'd think they'd learn how to play that position in the NFL

el borracho
07-24-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't think Parcells would have traded Taylor if he was younger.

No, I don't think so, either, but there are a number of similarities in our clubs (derth of talent, youth movement, homegrowing a QB) and then the large difference in rebuild strategy (Miami put a large emphasis on the lines while the Chiefs spread their picks about, even taking backup skill players like Charles and Cottam pretty high). It is possible that the comparison of the two teams might be the most interesting thing about the Chiefs this season. Somebody should write an article or something, lol.

DaKCMan AP
07-24-2008, 10:08 AM
10/12 with the most important (Albert) in the bag. I'd like Dorsey to be in now, but as long as he's there before the last 1 or 2 preseason game I don't think it'll be a huge deal.

Deberg_1990
07-24-2008, 10:33 AM
This isn't something out of the norm. When Leinart got drafted, he ended up signing a contract that was in the top 5 (guaranteed & prospective) for all the 1st rounders- even though he was far from being drafted in the top 5.

Good lord. Agents are the devil. You are who you are and where you were drafted at! Stick to the assigned slotting.

Stinger
07-24-2008, 10:59 AM
Good lord. Agents are the devil. You are who you are and where you were drafted at! Stick to the assigned slotting.

This is probably the only thing the NBA has right.

FAX
07-24-2008, 11:00 AM
I listened attentively to Carl's interview and he didn't sound very happy, Planeteers. It was obvious to me that he was quite disturbed and taking this opportunity to soundly and publicly criticize Dorsey's agent. One could sense the roiling anger beneath the calm, composed surface as if he were fully prepared to steal the guy's clothes and bitch-slap him hard at the first green light.

I now suspect that there are a group of agents and player reps out there who, for whatever reason, dislike Carl immensely and would drag their feet just to get under his skin. It must feel very rewarding to realize that the plan is working.

As for Albert, it's great news that he's going to be in camp from day one. I hope Waters has an influence on him. All young, giant guys with quick feet need an older, giant mentor with quick feet.

FAX

patteeu
07-24-2008, 11:19 AM
10/12 with the most important (Albert) in the bag. I'd like Dorsey to be in now, but as long as he's there before the last 1 or 2 preseason game I don't think it'll be a huge deal.

Did the Chiefs decide not to sign Mike Merritt or is there some other reason why he's not under contract now?

Stinger
07-24-2008, 11:23 AM
Did the Chiefs decide not to sign Mike Merritt or is there some other reason why he's not under contract now?

I believe the reasoning is he has an injury and the Chiefs won't sign him till he is able to practice.

redgoldexpress
07-24-2008, 11:40 AM
well lets get the final draft picked signed today or tomorrow carl. that is your final task be on the phone all day if you have to in order to get dorsey signed.

CoMoChief
07-24-2008, 11:55 AM
I'm more than sure Carl is low-balling him. He does this to everyone. With an uncapped season coming up, I'm more than sure he's lowballing more than ever.

FAX
07-24-2008, 12:08 PM
How do you lowball a number 5 pick who was rated by many as the most valuable player on the board? If he did, you have to admire both Carl's cojones and the fact he still has any after riding that ridiculous bicycle around camp.

FAX

Bwana
07-24-2008, 12:21 PM
Sweet!

OnTheWarpath15
07-24-2008, 12:28 PM
I'm more than sure Carl is low-balling him. He does this to everyone. With an uncapped season coming up, I'm more than sure he's lowballing more than ever.

Yeah, just like he lowballed the other 10 picks that were signed prior to camp?

There's no pleasing some of you. You could be holding a lottery ticket worth 10K, and you'd bitch because it wasn't worth more...

InChiefsHeaven
07-24-2008, 12:52 PM
Indeed. As I recall there was some flap about the NFLPA having to hammer out some damn thing and most teams were waiting for that, so this week would be the first week after that. We have 2 1st rounders, got one signed on time and the other we can afford to wait a little while. Carl gets at least a b+ for this off-season.

Mecca
07-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Indeed. As I recall there was some flap about the NFLPA having to hammer out some damn thing and most teams were waiting for that, so this week would be the first week after that. We have 2 1st rounders, got one signed on time and the other we can afford to wait a little while. Carl gets at least a b+ for this off-season.

I'm sure that'll be different after week 1.

BigRedChief
07-24-2008, 01:50 PM

There's no pleasing some of you. You could be holding a lottery ticket worth 10K, and you'd bitch because it wasn't worth more...
Getting Albert in was crucial. Dorsey not so crucial.

beach tribe
07-24-2008, 02:07 PM

I've been on Carls' case all off season, and never expected him to have Albert signed. I really believe it's Dorsey's agent waiting for the later picks to sign.

I think this is the first time i've said......good job Carl.