PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Flanagan: Chiefs quarterback developing a bond with wide receiver Dwayne Bowe

Tribal Warfare
07-24-2008, 10:49 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/719583.html

Chiefs quarterback developing a bond with wide receiver Dwayne Bowe

S o, who does Dwayne Bowe compare to in terms of other NFL receivers?

“Hmm. Well, I’d probably have to say someone like Plaxico Burress,” Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle said Thursday. “(Bowe) is big and physical and comes down with the ball. He’s not like a Randy Moss or a guy who can just burn by you.

“But if you throw it up to him, he’s going to come down with it.”

Croyle is beginning to see a bond forming between him and the Chiefs’ top receiver.

“Definitely. I think we started to see a bit of that last year,” Croyle said. “And then it carried on over into OTAs (organized team activities). We’re getting on the same page. There has to be a trust developing where you know he’s going to be there and he knows I’ll get him the ball.”

Croyle thinks Chiefs fans have seen only a glimpse of Bowe’s true ability.

“Oh, he’s going to be a special player,” Croyle said. “No doubt about it. And the thing is, he works at it.

“I called him about once a week during the offseason, and every time I called he was getting ready to go work out or go catch some balls. He’s got a strong work ethic.”

The rest of the Chiefs’ receiving unit is a bit of a mystery. But Croyle is pretty sure he’s spotted the Chiefs’ fastest receiver.

“That would probably be Devard Darling,” Croyle said. “He can really go. It’s one of those things where you don’t really notice it until you see the film.

“He just ‘leaves’ people.”

Comfort level

Croyle admits that while he certainly shouldn’t assume anything about his starting job, he’s more relaxed heading into this camp than last year.

“It’s hard enough learning offenses and fitting in without having to look over your shoulder all the time,” he said. “Now it kind of feels like I just have to focus on learning this new offense and working with the other guys, rather than having to constantly worry about (getting) the job.

“But I still have to perform.”

Just fooling ’em

The new Chiefs sideline reporter for KCFX, Kendall Gammon, said he’s not going to try to overly impress everyone in his first year on the Chiefs’ broadcasting team.

“There’s a certain amount of trepidation going into this,” he said. “But hey, it took (the NFL) 15 years to figure out I was a fraud as a player, so maybe it’ll take even longer for this.”

Need some help?

Former Chief Jayice Pearson, who will once more be an NFL game analyst for Fox, was asked when he expected to hear from ESPN about a “Monday Night Football” gig.

“Yeah, right,” he said, smiling. “Maybe they’ll call to ask me if I can help unload the cables or something.”

RealSNR
07-24-2008, 11:23 PM
“There’s a certain amount of trepidation going into this,” he said. “But hey, it took (the NFL) 15 years to figure out I was a fraud as a player, so maybe it’ll take even longer for this.”

Already he's going to be an upgrade from Blob Gretz I think :thumb:

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 11:30 PM
i didnt know Devard Darling was that fast. if he's faster than Will Franklin that will surprise me...not like Will is a burner, but didnt he run a 4.38 40?

Priest31kc
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
i didnt know Devard Darling was that fast. if he's faster than Will Franklin that will surprise me...not like Will is a burner, but didnt he run a 4.38 40?

yes, Franklin is a burner actually, he ran a 4.37. I dont think Darling ran that good, i thought it was around 4.45.

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 11:52 PM
yes, Franklin is a burner actually, he ran a 4.37. I dont think Darling ran that good, i thought it was around 4.45.

That's why I'd be surprised if Devard was faster than Franklin. But if he is, then thats a good thing. the faster our recievers are, just adds to the talent level.

chiefs1111
07-25-2008, 12:31 AM
That's why I'd be surprised if Devard was faster than Franklin. But if he is, then thats a good thing. the faster our recievers are, just adds to the talent level.

I agree it's a big plus,but let's hope they can also run good routes and catch on a consistent basis.

JuicesFlowing
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
Bowe is a special player indeed. It's been a while since the Chiefs have had a go-to receiver.

FAX
07-25-2008, 01:03 AM
Already he's going to be an upgrade from Blob Gretz I think :thumb:

That's for sure. I didn't know Gammon was taking this gig, but you're right, Mr. SNR. A huge improvement, right there.

Gammon can make you laugh even while he's sharing valuable, insightful football knowledge. If Tom Landry gained 160 pounds and did stand up, it would be Kendall Gammon.

FAX

JuicesFlowing
07-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Gammon can juggle like a court jester on crack, too. You know, in case he needs to entertain on the sidelines.

Skip Towne
07-25-2008, 06:29 AM
That's for sure. I didn't know Gammon was taking this gig, but you're right, Mr. SNR. A huge improvement, right there.

Gammon can make you laugh even while he's sharing valuable, insightful football knowledge. If Tom Landry gained 160 pounds and did stand up, it would be Kendall Gammon.

FAX
Yeah, Tom Landry was a barrel of laughs.

FAX
07-25-2008, 06:49 AM
Yeah, Tom Landry was a barrel of laughs.

For God's sake, Mr. Skip Towne. I said, "if".

Nevertheless, Tom Landry could be hilarious when he tried. It was raw street humor at its finest. Remember that time he spiked the teams' water with amphetamines before the Redskins game? They got a lot of offsides calls and the post-game interviews lasted for 6 hours, but Dandy Don was running all over the place that day, I tell you.

FAX

StcChief
07-25-2008, 08:31 AM
Gammons not a fraud....long snapper and was money. Dorche time will tell.

cardken
07-25-2008, 02:20 PM
Bowe is a special player indeed. It's been a while since the Chiefs have had a go-to receiver.

Stephone Page anyone?

eazyb81
07-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Stephone Page anyone?

I'd say Bad Moon Rison fit the bill during his short tenure here.

penguinz
07-25-2008, 02:41 PM
Sean LaChapelle!

RealSNR
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Gammons not a fraud....long snapper and was money. Dorche time will tell.Really? How coincidental is it that the Chiefs had a great long snapper named GAMMON and now have a guy named DARCHE. The similarities are eerie!

JuicesFlowing
07-25-2008, 04:22 PM

like I said, it's been A WHILE.