PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Babb: First-round pick Albert in Wisconsin with the Chiefs, but Dorsey is unsigned

Tribal Warfare
07-24-2008, 11:21 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/719554.html

First-round pick Albert in Wisconsin with the Chiefs, but Dorsey is unsigned
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Tony Gonzalez headed toward the dorm with his teammates when the Chiefs arrived Thursday in River Falls, Wis.

R IVER FALLS, Wis. | Sure enough, the big guy lumbered off the bus and walked toward his home for the next three weeks.

Branden Albert, the No. 15 overall pick, signed a five-year contract about noon Thursday, in time to fly to Minneapolis with the Chiefs and take the bus to their training camp site on the Wisconsin-River Falls campus. He walked off the bus and smiled.

“I’m happy,” Albert said, talking over the hum of the buses. “It’s like a world has shifted off my shoulders right now — just worrying about the business aspect and getting here.”

The Chiefs will have to wait for the other big guy. Glenn Dorsey was the fifth overall pick and is the highest draft pick who hasn’t signed. Chiefs president Carl Peterson said he temporarily suspended contract negotiations Thursday morning with Dorsey’s agent, Joel Segal.

Although the NFL’s first four draft picks have signed with their respective teams, Peterson said Segal wanted to wait until more first-rounders had signed. The No. 6 overall pick, Vernon Gholston, was close to a deal Thursday with the New York Jets.

“Glenn knows he needs to be here; I think Glenn wants to be here,” Peterson said. “Our comment to Glenn Dorsey’s agent was: ‘Look it, since you don’t want to negotiate, we’re going to go to camp and get started. When you want to negotiate, you know how to reach us, so give me a phone call.’

“He’s got the phone numbers here. Hopefully, he will be calling.”

Reached Thursday evening, Segal said he would not discuss Dorsey’s contract situation or Peterson’s comments. Attempts to reach Dorsey were unsuccessful.

If Peterson and Segal do not discuss and resolve the situation, and Dorsey is not in River Falls by 9 a.m. today, it would be the ninth time in the last 13 years a Chiefs first-round pick was a training camp holdout.

Peterson said Albert and Dorsey promised they would be in camp on time but pointed out that, as of late Thursday afternoon, only one of the top picks had kept his word.

“He promised me,” said Peterson, referring to Dorsey, “and he’s going to lose his bet that he’s going to be here on time. Branden won the bet.

“I think sometimes it shows a little bit about the character of the young man that he makes a commitment and stands by it.”

Albert is standing by a lot of the Chiefs’ plans. He played guard at Virginia, but the Chiefs moved him to left tackle during organized team activities last month. Albert admitted Thursday that his position change, among other things, made it imperative he arrive on time to River Falls.

Albert said he knew it would be possible when his agent, Todd France, called him around 1 p.m. Wednesday and told Albert he should start looking for flights to Kansas City from his home in Maryland.

First-year offensive coordinator Chan Gailey admitted he was relieved when he heard Albert had signed. He said that meant the Chiefs’ planned starting offense would begin training camp intact.

“It’s certainly a lot easier to make it happy when you’ve got everybody here,” Gailey said. “You are on the same page, and if you’re on the same page, it gives you a much better chance.”

Tony Gonzalez, Larry Johnson and Brodie Croyle walked by as Albert spoke with reporters. So did Derrick Johnson and Tamba Hali. The familiar pieces to the Chiefs’ rebuilding puzzle strolled down the sidewalk outside the South Fork Suites, some carrying Dopp kits and others pulling suitcases for the three-week stay in this town of about 12,000.

The new faces were there, too, all of them but Dorsey and seventh-round pick Michael Merritt. Both were on the training-camp roster, but neither was in western Wisconsin. Last year’s first-rounder, Dwayne Bowe, knows the feeling. He held out most of last year’s training camp and said he has told his former Louisiana State teammate to “be patient.”

“It is a business,” Bowe said. “You want to be back with the team, but you have a future. So tell your agent to do the right thing.”

Albert said he no longer needed to worry about contracts and how a potential holdout might set him back. He was on that bus, and his contract is finished. The next three weeks, he said, can’t be more stressful than that.

“I’m just happy to start playing football,” he said. “All the fun and games start now.”

For now, Dorsey will have to take Albert’s word for it.

booger
07-24-2008, 11:33 PM
WTF is up with Merritt?

why no contract for the 7th rder?

SBK
07-24-2008, 11:36 PM
WTF is up with Merritt?

He wants $10,000,000 guaranteed.

booger
07-24-2008, 11:38 PM
lol

teedubya
07-24-2008, 11:43 PM
“I think sometimes it shows a little bit about the character of the young man that he makes a commitment and stands by it.”

Thats going to leave a mark. I wonder if Dorsey goes to the Bears after year 5?

DaneMcCloud
07-24-2008, 11:46 PM

That was really uncalled for. For someone who's been in professional sports management his entire life, Peterson is certainly not the smoothest character in town.

The good thing though is that CP shouldn't even be a factor in 5 years.

Key word: Shouldn't.

KCrockaholic
07-24-2008, 11:48 PM
He wants $10,000,000 guaranteed.

pay'em Carl! injured or not! he's the next Jeremy Shockey, i can just feel it! ;)

alanm
07-25-2008, 12:02 AM
WTF is up with Merritt?

From what I've read here is that Merritt is injured and they won't sign him until he's ready to report.

DaneMcCloud
07-25-2008, 12:04 AM
From what I've read here is that Merritt is injured and they won't sign him until he's ready to report.

This should be a sticky because a lot of fans that don't frequent the forum everyday aren't aware of this situation.

Frazod
07-25-2008, 12:05 AM
Maybe we can bring Vermeil in to call him fat and out of shape.

Carl, Carl, Carl..... :shake:

kcchiefsus
07-25-2008, 12:11 AM
This should be a sticky because a lot of fans that don't frequent the forum everyday aren't aware of this situation.

Yep. I have probably seen this question asked 5 or 6 times.

booger
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM

That's what i've read as well. He has an injury and hasn't been cleared yet and didn't participate in any OTA's or Mini Camp. The way i understood the rumor/reports was that he wouldn't be signed until healthy. My problem is if he isn't at camp. To me it's different from dorsey, it's all about the money.

From the aricle it sounds like he isn''t in RF, WISC. If he was to agree he wouldn't sign until healthy and still show up i could see that. But for them not to sign him is a bit fishy and the NFLPA would be all over it i imagine.

kcxiv
07-25-2008, 12:16 AM
That is a really stupid remark for CP to say. He needs to just shut his ****ing mouth. In 5 years he's going to be long gone, but saying something to a kid like that is retarded. KC needs him to be a Chief for about 10 years.

booger
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM

Total BS on Carls part. Last year with Bowe it was no big deal, he said they bet a steak dinner on it and CP won. Carl didn't have any anger or anomosity with Bowe, he expected it with his agents being Locke and Metz.

He's breaking very basic rules by making it personal with Dorsey, rather childish if you ask me.

I bet Herm is pretty pissed when he reads that quote.

chiefs1111
07-25-2008, 12:26 AM
way to stick your foot in your mouth with that comment Carl..

unlurking
07-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Wow, guess I disagree with everybody. I'm all in favor of calling him to the mat for breaking his word. If he really cared about being in camp on time, and building a great career as opposed to a great payday, he'd tell his agent to get it done. Waiting for more players to sign is pure bullshit, the slotting for his position is done. Waiting won't do anything but hurt Dorsey's ability to have an impact this year.

We call Carl to the mat for scratching his nose the wrong way, might as well be consistent. Carl did a good job getting ALL the picks signed this year. We can't blame him for Dorsey or Merritt (and who cares about a 7th rounder).

Chief Chief
07-25-2008, 06:21 AM
I totally agree with you, unlurking. CP hasn't said anything anywhere near the level of DV's diapers statement regarding LJ. Dorsey made a statement to CP and didn't follow through on it to make it a reality. CP, on the other hand , has made an offer (in other words: has done his job) but the agent has made it clear that he won't respond to that offer until pick #6 signs. What else do you expect CP to do? Make a counter-offer to his original offer?
What would you do if you were CP? Just sit back, clam up, and wait? I'd do exactly what he did, which is to put a little pressure on the player so that hopefully Dorsey will kick his agent in the a$$ to get the deal done much sooner than later.

FAX
07-25-2008, 06:38 AM

Uncalled for. Just remember, Carl, when you point your finger, three other fingers are pointing back at you.

And your thumb is kinda sticking up in the air like you're trying to catch a ride to Omaha to visit your mom whom you put up in a used RV to get her to cook some chicken and noodles for you which she can barely afford with her social security check after the cost of medicine and the sewing supplies she uses to put the names on the jerseys.

FAX

Hammock Parties
07-25-2008, 06:49 AM
I wouldn't say he lumbered personally. I thought he'd be bigger. He's going to be one nimble mofo.

kepp
07-25-2008, 07:27 AM
Chiefs president Carl Peterson said he temporarily suspended contract negotiations Thursday morning with Dorsey’s agent, Joel Segal.

Carl better hope Joel doesn't call in his brother, Steven.

Chiefnj2
07-25-2008, 07:34 AM
If he really cared about being in camp on time, and building a great career as opposed to a great payday, he'd tell his agent to get it done. ).

I hate to shatter your dreams, but the NFL is a business. They play the game for money, not the love of the game.

BigChiefFan
07-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Carl has a list a mile long for his screw ups, but I believe he is handling this the best that he can. The agent sounds like the one to blame given what has been said.

Extra Point
07-25-2008, 08:07 AM
Thanks, Uncle Carl!

J Diddy
07-25-2008, 08:32 AM
Carl has a list a mile long for his screw ups, but I believe he is handling this the best that he can. The agent sounds like the one to blame given what has been said.

unfortunately it was said by carl, of course

I think it's pretty crappy for carl to make a dig at this guys character

R&GHomer
07-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I'm not sure I disagree with calling Dorsey out. He made the comment, I heard him say it in an interview. Segal works for him, not the other way around. 1 - 4 and 6 are signed there is no reason his agent can't engage in negotiations. It's just stupid IMO, Dorsey should be on the phone telling his agent to get off his lazy ass and get it done.

InChiefsHeaven
07-25-2008, 08:50 AM
I'm not sure I disagree with calling Dorsey out. He made the comment, I heard him say it in an interview. Segal works for him, not the other way around. 1 - 4 and 6 are signed there is no reason his agent can't engage in negotiations. It's just stupid IMO, Dorsey should be on the phone telling his agent to get off his lazy ass and get it done.

But the thing is, he's got Bowe telling him to be patient and let his agent do the work...these guys are young and "dumb" in the sense that they have everyone pissing in their ear about how it's a business and all that good stuff. I'd wager most rookies are just flat out scared of all of it and are glad they have an agent to just handle stuff. Dorsey's probably told Segal that he wants in asap, but Segal is telling him "Look, I'm not going to let Carl screw you, trust me. I've been around a lot longer than you. You concentrate on playing ball, and I'll concentrate on the contract. you do your job, and I'll make sure you get paid well..."

What do you expect Dorsey to do? Carl's a dick for calling him out like that.

blueballs
07-25-2008, 08:58 AM
Carl really is a cheap bastard
all for a Waffle House breakfast

He promised me,” said Peterson, referring to Dorsey, “and he’s going to lose his bet that he’s going to be here on time. Branden won the bet.

Rooster
07-25-2008, 08:59 AM

No kidding. What the hell was that statement about? When will Carl just leave and stay gone. You have one of the hottest prospects to come out in a long long time and you call him out. He is such a POS.

Sure-Oz
07-25-2008, 09:05 AM
Carl should stfu and count his blessings that dorsey fell to us...grow the **** up

Lzen
07-25-2008, 09:06 AM
Eh, I don't think Carl is wrong in this situation. Sure, I would love to see Carl gone next year, but I think he is doing his job right now. If you want to call him out for other things in the past, fine, but I don't think it is anything right now. If Dorsey said he would be there by the start of camp, then he should have been there. If you don't follow through, then you're open to someone calling you out on it. That's the way life works. The kid will learn that.

Mr. Laz
07-25-2008, 09:46 AM
same dance, different year

does anyone really believe that Segal won't negotiate?

carl has pulled this same BS so many times i can't believe Chiefs fans still fall for it. :spock:

Mr. Laz
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
Eh, I don't think Carl is wrong in this situation. Sure, I would love to see Carl gone next year, but I think he is doing his job right now. If you want to call him out for other things in the past, fine, but I don't think it is anything right now. If Dorsey said he would be there by the start of camp, then he should have been there. If you don't follow through, then you're open to someone calling you out on it. That's the way life works. The kid will learn that.
holy schmoly :eek:

carl loves you!!

penguinz
07-25-2008, 09:48 AM
There is no excuse to not have a contract by either end. The D-lineman before and after him are both signed. Should be easy to figure out his payday now.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-25-2008, 10:13 AM
QFT

CoMoChief
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM

The #6 pick is not signed yet and that's why the agent is holding the process up.

FAX
07-25-2008, 10:23 AM
Yeah. I thought we were still waiting for number six. Then, we can agree to give him the money we were going to agree to give him in the first place.

FAX

beach tribe
07-25-2008, 10:24 AM
The #6 pick is not signed yet and that's why the agent is holding the process up.

5 Years 50 mil. 24 gauranteed is what Golston got at 6.

Chiefnj2
07-25-2008, 10:25 AM
#6 signed this morning.

Chiefnj2
07-25-2008, 10:26 AM
5 Years 50 mil. 24 gauranteed is what Golston got at 6.

21 guaranteed, Mcfadden got the 24.

The problem, if I were to guess it will be whether it is 5 or 6 years.

beach tribe
07-25-2008, 10:28 AM
21 guaranteed, Mcfadden got the 24.

The problem, if I were to guess it will be whether it is 5 or 6 years.

Right.

FAX
07-25-2008, 10:43 AM
#6 signed this morning.

Hmmm. Then what's the holdup? Time to desuspend contract negotiations. Or, shall we quibble over a measly little 5 million guaranteed dollars?

I wonder if Carl will insert language into the contract dealing with Dorsey's potential leg issue protestando whereas availability is contingent wherefore upon receiving pro propria persona the guaranteed money heretofore nisi prius quantum meruit?

FAX

bringbackmarty
07-25-2008, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAX
WHEN PRICKS COLLIDE!!!!

FAX
Reprinted without permission from science weekly....
When Pricks Collide

What happens when the hermaphroditic asshole prick who thinks he is irresistible, meets an immoveable male prick? Celestial observers near River Falls, Wisconsin and Kansas City, Missouri may have a chance at a once in a decade spectacle unfolding in the unseen world of electromagnetic signals, and big time sports contract negotiations surrounding them.

The hermaphroditic asshole prick who thinks he is irresistible, or h.a.p.i., is one of the rarest and most dangerous of all pricks. First of all, it is a hermaphrodite, meaning it can breed with men, women, itself, and barring that the local professional football coach. (Herman Edwards, who is reportedly fond of hermaphrodites)

The h.a.p.i. in this case is none other than Carl Peterson, vice president of football operations, (and some say general manager) of the Kansas City Chiefs. The last time he threatened to collide (the scientific term for mating pricks) He ended up laying a t.u.r.d. named Ryan Sims. (Totally Unresponsible Reach on Defense), The t.u.r.d. ended up getting smeared all over the field in his first season.

A few years prior to that incident, Peterson collided with the agent for rookie offensive lineman John Tait. Tait played out his rookie contract and then fled to Chicago, his asshole intact. Few could argue that the timing of Peterson's desire to mate with another prick, significantly undermined what was one of the most respected offensive lines in the modern era.

The immoveable prick in this celestial coupling is the agent for first round pick, Glenn Dorsey. Immovable pricks are much more common than the h.a.p.i., they frequent the right hand lane on the highway, usually doing well under the posted speed limit. They usually work as loan officers, in and around government agencies, as police, municipal court judges, and occasionally sit in with your favorite band, taking solo after solo, talking on the mic too much, and lauching into tunes without telling the band what he's about to play. The one way to move an immoveable prick is money, and lots of it. That is what makes this so puzzling.

Peterson is willing to go "balls to the wall", when his team really needs Dorsey in camp on time. The Chiefs have plenty of space to get a deal done, and the taste of Ryan Sims' ass, is still fresh in Peterson's mouth. If Dorsey gets to camp really late, is out of shape, or gets hurt, Clark Hunt may actually call the exterminator to rid K.C. of it's hermaphroditic prick problem.

Mr. Laz
07-25-2008, 01:55 PM
I would be more inclined to believe that the agent was the problem if Carl hadn't pull this same crap every season for the last 20 years.

seriously folk .....

unlurking
07-25-2008, 02:57 PM
I hate to shatter your dreams, but the NFL is a business. They play the game for money, not the love of the game.
No really?!

:rolleyes:

He's bickering over what, maybe a million in guarantees? **** that. Get to work and you can make it back on your next contract. It's called being a man. He's looking at over 50 million guaranteed.

FAX
07-25-2008, 03:00 PM
seriously ..... i would be more inclined to believe that the agent is the problem is Carl has pull this same crap for the last 20 years.

seriously folk .....

Please don't take this the wrong way, Mr. Laz. As you well know, I hold you in the highest possible regard as a Planeteer, poster, and person. It's just good to see that the "Kcnut As A Second Language" classes are working out.

FAX

shaneo69
07-25-2008, 03:49 PM
This might be the stupidest comment Carl's ever made.

OMG!!! Dorsey didn't keep his word!!! I'm so hurt!!!

Unfortunately, when Carl asked if Dorsey would make it to camp on time, he didn't bother mentioning that he was gonna lowball the hell out of him, like he does in every other rookie negotiation.

shaneo69
07-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Carl did a good job getting ALL the picks signed this year. We can't blame him for Dorsey or Merritt (and who cares about a 7th rounder).

A thesaurus can be very handy...

"ALL" (pron) - every; every one; each and every one; every one of; every single one.

Good job, CARL!!

penguinz
07-25-2008, 03:59 PM
This might be the stupidest comment Carl's ever made.

OMG!!! Dorsey didn't keep his word!!! I'm so hurt!!!

Unfortunately, when Carl asked if Dorsey would make it to camp on time, he didn't bother mentioning that he was gonna lowball the hell out of him, like he does in every other rookie negotiation.
Your and idiot.

Mr. Laz
07-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, Mr. Laz. As you well know, I hold you in the highest possible regard as a Planeteer, poster, and person. It's just good to see that the "Kcnut As A Second Language" classes are working out.

FAX:)

ROFL

blueballs
07-25-2008, 07:31 PM
there shouldn't be much mystery in $$$
must be the years

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/NFL+Features/2008/signingchart08.htm

PastorMikH
07-25-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm going to have to side with those saying Carl was out of line taking a shot at Dorsey's character. Yeah, the kid may have made a promise to Carl, but Carl also has a hand in seeing to it that the kid gets signed too. We have plenty of cap money so reports are saying, the slot is set, pay the kid and get him in here.

If Carl didn't have a LONG history of 1st round signing problems, I'd be inclined to point a finger at Dorsey. But as it stands, this is business as usual around Arrowhead - different names, different year, same story.

GoHuge
07-25-2008, 09:57 PM
From what I've heard Dorsey wants Chris Long money. Hate to burst his bubble, but Long was drafted second and Dorsey fifth no matter how much he and his agent think he was the best player in the draft the teams drafting didn't think so. Eventually I think he just might be, but he needs to get his ass to camp if he's haggling over $2 million over the life of a contract that is going to pay him $60 million plus. The agent tjough you know is thinking "that's another $200,oo for me." Him being a power agent and Dorsey being the rookie being told by this guy that he was the best player in the draft so you should be paid like it probably has Dorsey buying in all the way. The money is there dude. Your an instant guaranteed #25 million guy. Get your ass to camp.

dorseybowe
07-25-2008, 10:03 PM
where did you hear that from?

GoHuge
07-25-2008, 10:31 PM
where did you hear that from?It was on NFL Network, 810, and Jack Harry ( I know I know). When I just looked at who's signed for what around him (Dorsey) should be looking at about 5-6 years at about anywhere from $55-58 million and $23-24 million guaranteed. If you go by the slotting system. He thinks he's worth more :shrug: I think that's plenty for a guy that's never put pads on in an NFL practice. JMO

Bwana
07-25-2008, 10:41 PM

Peterson is a complete dipshit. :shake:

KcMizzou
07-25-2008, 10:42 PM
I'm going to have to side with those saying Carl was out of line taking a shot at Dorsey's character. Yeah, the kid may have made a promise to Carl, but Carl also has a hand in seeing to it that the kid gets signed too. We have plenty of cap money so reports are saying, the slot is set, pay the kid and get him in here.

If Carl didn't have a LONG history of 1st round signing problems, I'd be inclined to point a finger at Dorsey. But as it stands, this is business as usual around Arrowhead - different names, different year, same story.I heard what Carl said, Mike. Heard it live. It's being blown WAYYY out of proportion. (just like most everything else on the intarwebs)

This is just typical business. They had 12 picks to sign. 10 are in... one's a 7th rounder who's injured. The last one's the 5th pick who everyone thought was the #1.

We'll get him in... it's just a matter of time. (and not much time, at that)

Albert had to be in camp on time... that was much more important. And Carl got it done. (not to mention the other 9 guys).

If Dorsey takes a bit longer, it's not the end of the world.

Do every team's fans freak out like this?

Fairplay
07-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Did we have a thread on here a while back in which we guessed what day our first round pick would be signed?

Maybe someone could dig that up. Hopefully the man will sign next week. But should be no surprise if Carl dicks around with him for a couple more weeks.

BigRock
07-25-2008, 11:00 PM
I heard what Carl said, Mike. Heard it live. It's being blown WAYYY out of proportion.

Carl wasn't even talking about Dorsey with that remark. He was talking about Albert.

FAX
07-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Hmmm ... I don't know about that Mr. BigRock. I listened to the interview as well and, the way I heard it, Carl was definitely referring to the Dorsey deal when he said you can't negotiate with someone who won't negotiate.

FAX

FAX
07-25-2008, 11:11 PM
Well ... I'm going to go watch one of the more recent UFO documentaries. It's pretty clear, given recent developments, that the Illuminati are preparing us for full disclosure sometime soon and I want to be up to speed on reptillian issues.

May Planeteers everywhere receive what they're seeking. And don't forget to fill out those donor cards, everybody.

FAX

Smed1065
07-25-2008, 11:13 PM
From what I've heard Dorsey wants Chris Long money. Hate to burst his bubble, but Long was drafted second and Dorsey fifth no matter how much he and his agent think he was the best player in the draft the teams drafting didn't think so. Eventually I think he just might be, but he needs to get his ass to camp if he's haggling over $2 million over the life of a contract that is going to pay him $60 million plus. The agent tjough you know is thinking "that's another $200,oo for me." Him being a power agent and Dorsey being the rookie being told by this guy that he was the best player in the draft so you should be paid like it probably has Dorsey buying in all the way. The money is there dude. Your an instant guaranteed #25 million guy. Get your ass to camp.

The rumor going around is his agent is worried about "next" year, not his current client?

Rumor like I stated, who knows but waiting for 3 players drafted after him seems me to lead that way as well.

BigRock
07-25-2008, 11:25 PM
Hmmm ... I don't know about that Mr. BigRock. I listened to the interview as well and, the way I heard it, Carl was definitely referring to the Dorsey deal when he said you can't negotiate with someone who won't negotiate.
I'm sure he meant Dorsey in that context. I meant the remark about character. It should be clear just from the article itself that Carl meant Albert.

“He promised me,” said Peterson, referring to Dorsey, “and he’s going to lose his bet that he’s going to be here on time. Branden won the bet.

Albert is standing by a lot of the Chiefs’ plans.

Everything in bold, both before and after the quote, was in reference to Albert.

It could be said that the remark was kind of a backhanded slap at Dorsey, but I think even that would be putting words into Carl's mouth to some extent. He said "sometimes it shows a little bit about the character" that Albert vowed to be on camp on time and then he was. He didn't say it shows no character to not be camp on time.

Mr. Flopnuts
07-25-2008, 11:33 PM
pay'em Carl! injured or not! he's the next Jeremy Shockey, i can just feel it! ;)

I'd settle for Kevin Boss.

Lzen
07-28-2008, 01:42 PM
holy schmoly :eek:

carl loves you!!

You still believe that nonsense? :hmmm: