PDA

View Full Version : Misc Uniform Numbers Question

NIUhuskies
07-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Does anybody know what the exact rules are for numbers with the NFL regarding positions? Im curious because of Devin Hester. He wears #23 for the Bears because he has been listed as a DB for the last few years. Now that he is officially a WR, does that mean he has to switch or can he keep it since he has had it for 2 years already. Im just curious how this works...

Stewie
07-25-2008, 11:57 AM
That's not a "legal" number for a WR, but they may make an exception if he was already wearing it.

FAX
07-25-2008, 02:19 PM
I googled some junk, then I did an internet search and found this on that wiki site, Mr. NIUhuskies ...

Numbers 1 to 19 are worn by quarterbacks, kickers, and punters. Since 2004 wide receivers are also allowed to wear numbers between 10 and 19 if they so choose, even if there's an 80-89 number available.

Numbers 20 to 49 are worn by running backs, tight ends (between 40-49 when an 80-89 number is unavailable), cornerbacks and safeties.

Numbers 50 to 59 are worn by linebackers and offensive linemen.

Numbers 60 to 79 are worn by members of both the offensive line (the tackles, guards and centers) and defensive line (the defensive ends, defensive tackles or nose guard).

Numbers 80 to 89 are worn by wide receivers and tight ends.

Numbers 90 to 99 are worn by linebackers and defensive linemen.

Numbers 0 and 00 are no longer used, though they were issued in the NFL before the number standardization in 1973. Jim Otto wore number "00" ("aught-oh") during most of his career with the Oakland Raiders. Wide receiver Ken Burrough of the Houston Oilers also wore "00" during his NFL career in the 1970s.

EDIT: They also had this interesting tidbit, which I failed to see at first ... "It should be noted that this NFL numbering system is based on a player's primary position. Any player wearing any number may play at any position on the field at any time (though players wearing numbers 50-79 must let the referee know that they are playing out of position by reporting as an "ineligible number in an eligible position")."

FAX

KCrockaholic
07-25-2008, 02:25 PM
Hester was listed as a WR last year too, and nobody did anything. i dont think they will ever make him switch, unless he is traded, or ends up with another team somehow.