PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dorsey Deal Causes Problems

Hammock Parties
07-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Not sure what to think about this.

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/27/dorsey_deal_causes_problems/

RIVER FALLS, WI – The PH level here in the northwoods and back home in the Chiefs Nation dropped considerably Saturday.

And no, I don’t mean ph level as in acidity or alkalinity, although there is a bit of acid involved in this situation. This PH stands for Peterson Haters, and right now their levels are dragging pretty low.

You know who I’m talking about. You might have a friend or colleague who has developed this nervous tic of blaming everything bad that happens on Carl Peterson. There are the media dandies who swipe at the Chiefs president-general manager like a frantic driver trying to get an angry wasp out of the inside of the car. The negative energy of the venom and vitriol directed at this man would power small cities. It would be humorous if it wasn’t so sad.

It’s a miserable weekend for the TV guy, the columnist and their sycophants. Peterson has gone and fooled them again. Public enemy No. 1 supposedly has a rap sheet for not getting his No. 1 picks signed and in camp. Massive, lengthy holdouts are allegedly his manner of operation. Listen to these infected souls and they would have you believe that fights over millions of dollars happen only in Kansas City, and only with the Chiefs.

Of course any study of history shows that the Chiefs have been about average among the league’s 32 teams in getting their first round picks into camp for the first day. Five of the last six have signed before the end of July, missing little or no practice time. This week Seattle signed its top draft pick before they started camp, the first time the Seahawks have done that since 2003.

Can’t be! Stuff like this only happens in Kansas City.

Glenn Dorsey, the Chiefs No. 1 choice, the fifth player taken in the 2008 NFL Draft was here in the land of beer and cheese, smiling for the media on Saturday. His smile was as wide as the one he wore back in April when he was drafted by the Chiefs. It was the same toothy grin he wore two days later when he made his first appearance in Kansas City.

Only this smile was coming right in the University Center on the campus of UW-River Falls, the summer home of the Chiefs. Dorsey had missed two days of training camp in another one of those disastrous Peterson holdouts. He could have missed two weeks of camp and it would not have hurt him or his development in this defense. Instead, he missed a walk-thru workout, a rained out on-field session that moved inside and the first padded practice of the season. How will he ever recover?

When Peterson explained on Thursday that the situation with Dorsey was being held up by the draft pick’s reluctant agent, the PHers had all the ammunition they needed. In their minds this was just a ruse, a cover-up of the real problem. Why would an agent drag his feet about signing a deal if the players ahead of his client had their contracts in place?

Of course, those comments showed a great ignorance of the agent business, where many times the potential next client is more important than a player already in the firm’s fold. That’s the history of Joel Segal, the man who represented Dorsey in these negotiations. He drags things out, waiting for others to do the negotiating.

It played out again, because less than two days after Peterson told the truth about negotiations, the Chiefs and Dorsey have a contract. What happened? The player who was drafted after Dorsey in the first round signed a deal. When DE Vernon Gholston reached agreement with the New York Jets late Thursday night that deal created the floor for a Dorsey contract. The ceiling had already been set by the contracts signed by the first four players taken in the NFL Draft. The work had been done for Segal.

Understand that the heavy lifting on this contract was done by Denny Thum, the team’s executive vice-president. He’s the guy who does daily head-to-head battle with agents. Over the years, Thum and Peterson have formed a pretty effective good cop-bad cop routine. When the action needs to be stirred up a bit, Peterson generally does the stirring, just as he did with his comments two days ago.

Here’s an interesting note: Segal could have had similar money back in early June. That’s when the Chiefs made an offer. Segal didn’t make a counter-offer until last Monday and it was so outrageous there was not a second of discussion about the matter with the team.

It’s a hefty payday for Dorsey. Should he hit all the bonus clauses in the deal it could bring him $51 million. A lot of that is contract fluff. The meat of this deal makes it five years and $33 million, with $22.5 million in guaranteed dollars.

And, he was on the practice field Saturday afternoon, beginning what everyone hopes is a long and successful career in the NFL. Dorsey was happy. His agent was happy. The Chiefs and Carl Peterson were happy.

Everyone was happy save the PHers, who must swallow their hate and anger. It’s a bitter, bitter, bitter pill. Expect a reaction. Carl Peterson will soon be held responsible for gas being $4 per gallon and global warming.

Rasputin
07-27-2008, 02:32 PM
We hate Carl Peterson for one reason, he has had twenty FN years to get us a Super Bowl and he has failed. :cuss:

Rasputin
07-27-2008, 02:42 PM
YTF couldn't he get LJ or D Bowe in camp on time last year? Doesn't change a thing IMO, CP is on the hot seat this year and he knows it! This article is Raiduhs

Spicy McHaggis
07-27-2008, 02:45 PM
Wow, Gretz could head the Propaganda Dept. for the People's Republic.

I wonder if he's ever been happy.

StcChief
07-27-2008, 02:46 PM
filling the stands with hope for 19+ year bringing in Montana,Allen to get that done.
(starting the fan craze)
but the sh1tty drafts of Sims,Freeman,Savaii, etc. No playoff wins means only one thing...

he sucks and it's time to move on, wave good bye into the sunset, hope my name is next to Steadman on the Chief HOF in the future....

could names be withdrawn when they are out of room in the future on HOF ring???? I would start with NON-Players

ChiefsFan4Life
07-27-2008, 02:49 PM
What's ironic is him calling the "PHers" sad, when it's just as sad that he has taken the extreme opposite view ("PLers" Peterson Lovers).

One thing I will give Gretz credit for though, it's impressive that he can write an article while having a cock shoved down his throat

kstater
07-27-2008, 02:50 PM
Of course any study of history shows that the Chiefs have been about average among the league’s 32 teams

Listen dumb****. Chief's fans DON'T WANT TO BE AVERAGE.

dorseybowe
07-27-2008, 02:55 PM
Carl always shares the opinion of his head coach, and he will make decisions consistent with what the head coach wants, no matter if it is in the best welfare of the Chiefs or not.

StcChief
07-27-2008, 03:00 PM
Carl always shares the opinion of his head coach, and he will make decisions consistent with what the head coach wants, no matter if it is in the best welfare of the Chiefs or not.

so the coaches insured sh1tty drafts.... ok sure.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:10 PM

That's like when they try to say the Chiefs draft history isn't that bad.

dorseybowe
07-27-2008, 03:11 PM
so the coaches insured sh1tty drafts.... ok sure.

Nearing retirement, Dick Vermiel wanted to win immediately. DV, and much of the fanbase, thought that the team was a few quality defensive players from a superbowl. Thus, Carl, in an effort to please his head coach, went outside the Chiefs' big board on draft day to select defensive players. Dick Vermeil was only thinking about the immediate future. Therefore, Carl followed his orders.

blueballs
07-27-2008, 03:12 PM
I read about halfway through
it's all I could stomach
Gretz has got to be in Peterson will

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:12 PM
Nearing retirement, Dick Vermiel wanted to win immediately. DV, and much of the fanbase, thought that the team was a few quality defensive players from a superbowl. Thus, Carl, in an effort to please his head coach, went outside the Chiefs' big board on draft day to select defensive players. Dick Vermeil was only thinking about the immediate future. Therefore, Carl followed his orders.

And that's Carl's fault for not doing his job as GM and saying look we aren't taking this guy he sucks.

Rasputin
07-27-2008, 03:13 PM
All this article did for me is hate Carl Peterson that much more. Its beyond hate now, its so laughable and they are making it a mockery. Can't wait for 2010

dorseybowe
07-27-2008, 03:20 PM
And that's Carl's fault for not doing his job as GM and saying look we aren't taking this guy he sucks.
I'm not saying Carl is correct. Like I said, right or wrong, Carl will follow his head coach. He's pretty consistent. The one exception was the time Carl took LJ over DV's orders.

Mecca
07-27-2008, 03:23 PM
I'm not saying Carl is correct. Like I said, right or wrong, Carl will follow his head coach. He's pretty consistent. The one exception was the time Carl took LJ over DV's orders.

And that is what separates good and bad GM's you think AJ Smith would ever let a head coach tell him who to draft, ask Marty about that...

Rain Man
07-27-2008, 03:27 PM
I want Peterson gone just as much as ever. One show of moderate competence a year won't change that. Did Gretz write this or something?

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2008, 03:32 PM
We hate Carl Peterson for one reason, he has had twenty FN years to get us a Super Bowl and he has failed. :cuss:That is it. Period.

dorseybowe
07-27-2008, 03:34 PM
Carl has too many jobs. President, GM, Chief Executive Officer. It seems like he accounts for the entire Chiefs' front office. It makes it too easy to blame him for everything, but, in reality, he sort of does everything.

Bowser
07-27-2008, 03:39 PM
If Carl is tired of getting his sensitive sensibilities hurt, maybe he should make sure he has a team that can actually win a playoff game more than once every 7 years (on average) or so.

Jesus, it's like he got all the draft picks signed not for the good of the team, but to turn around and shout "NANANANAANAAAA" at the media. What a ****ing tool.

BigMeatballDave
07-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I would have no problem with CP staying on as president or whatever keeps him away from player personnel decisions. WAY the **** away...

Messier
07-27-2008, 03:58 PM
I would have no problem with CP staying on as president or whatever keeps him away from player personnel decisions. WAY the **** away...

I agree. I think Peterson is good non football related issues, he's a good business man. I just don't think he's very good with football decisions, maybe at one time, but he needs to move on.

markk
07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
just because Peterson seems to have had his first really productive draft in more than a decade, and has started a true rebuild that the team has been needing for more than a decade... those things shouldn't absolve him of a lifetime of sins.

no playoff wins since 1993 is no playoff wins since 1993 no matter how you slice it.

Frazod
07-27-2008, 04:19 PM
I'm thrilled that everybody has signed in a timely manner. Really, I am.

But I figure Clark took a long hard look at all those empty seats at Arrowhead last year and made a conscious decision to do something to get them filled. The great draft was a step; not lowballing Dorsey into a holdout was another.

Hopefully winning something useful after all these years will be the next step.

Deberg_1990
07-27-2008, 04:23 PM

Then prove it with your wallets. Money talks, or lack thereof.

Bowser
07-27-2008, 04:33 PM
I'm thrilled that everybody has signed in a timely manner. Really, I am.

But I figure Clark took a long hard look at all those empty seats at Arrowhead last year and made a conscious decision to do something to get them filled. The great draft was a step; not lowballing Dorsey into a holdout was another.

Hopefully winning something useful after all these years will be the next step.

I have a twelve year old daughter right now. She was T minus three years to birth since the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game. AND, the team we beat doesn't even exist anymore! :shake:

cookster50
07-27-2008, 04:57 PM

Whatever you say Gretz.

teedubya
07-27-2008, 05:02 PM
Dorsey Deal Causes Problems

Jul 27, 2008, 1:19:56 AM by Bob Gretz (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/bob_gretz/) - FAQ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/01/19/bob_gretz_faq/)

teedubya
07-27-2008, 05:06 PM
I don't know why people would stop giving Peterson heat... the deal was OBVIOUSLY slotted, there wasn't much he could do... they HAD to give him that much coin. No real negotiating as far as i can see.

petegz28
07-27-2008, 06:36 PM
Carl has given everyone reasons to believe this was a ruse. It's not my fault he has done what he has done the way he has done it.

TinyEvel
07-27-2008, 06:46 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
My gosh! I don't even live in KC and have less than one-thirf the CPbaggage and even I am ANGRY about this "column." what a friggen blatant mouthpiece BJ this drivel is.
:cuss:

TinyEvel
07-27-2008, 06:49 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
First, let me lower the bar (Seahwaks didn't sign a first round pick before camp0 since 2003)
then I'll paint CP as the SAVIOUR...JUST FOR DOING HIS MUTHERFRIGGEN JOB!!!

GRETZ: Yay! Carl is the magic! He sign #1 pick before camp!

kregger
07-27-2008, 06:51 PM
This drivel smacks of "can I get my sideline post back, please Mr.P?"

whoman69
07-27-2008, 07:19 PM
Did Gretz have a job in Baghdad during the war?

KCTitus
07-27-2008, 07:44 PM
Im really disappointed...I realize Im not around that much anymore, but the quality of Genious (chiefsplanet spelling) is really deteriorating around here.

Carl did NOT have a good draft, he Got Lucky...and he Overpaid for Dorsey who will eventually become a Bust.

Sheesh! WTF is wrong with you people!?

Valiant
07-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Wow.. Wonder if Whitlock will be on here and threaten Gochiefs for basically plagiarizing is shtick..

dj56dt58
07-27-2008, 07:56 PM

can't say that was wrong..everyone here felt the same way..and everyone was right..we were a few good defensive players away..problem is the players we drafted or signed ended up being busts aside from Allen, which was nothing but luck as we just drafted him to be a long snapper

KCTitus
07-27-2008, 08:01 PM
problem is the players we drafted or signed ended up being busts aside from Allen, which was nothing but luck as we just drafted him to be a long snapper

There we go... a quick kick in the pants and The Lexicon rolls on.

Hammock Parties
07-27-2008, 08:15 PM
Wow.. Wonder if Whitlock will be on here and threaten Gochiefs for basically plagiarizing is shtick..

Are you seriously this dense?

I posted an article written by Gretz.

Rausch
07-27-2008, 08:18 PM
There we go... a quick kick in the pants and The Lexicon rolls on.

We also "lucked" into Dorsey. He fell to us, any idiot could have made that pick.

No PTS for CP this season...

Mecca
07-27-2008, 08:21 PM
We also "lucked" into Dorsey. He fell to us, any idiot could have made that pick.

No PTS for CP this season...

They've screwed up some other picks where I thought the pick was a no brainer then they walked up there and picked someone else.