PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glen Dorsey and Brandon Albert

DallasChief
07-28-2008, 09:34 PM
How are these guys looking in camp? All the highlights I read on blogs and such do not mention thier performances so far. All I heard was that Dorsey got owned first day by Waters-anyone at camp who can give updates on these two?

Fish
07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
LMAO..... did we sign Ty Law guys?

Deberg_1990
07-28-2008, 09:36 PM
They both have gotten beat in a series or two so the common Chiefsplanet consensus is: BUST!

Fish
07-28-2008, 09:38 PM
Here's a few good starts bud....

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187720

http://www.uwrf.edu/chiefs/

http://www.bobgretz.com/

DallasChief
07-28-2008, 09:45 PM
Yea in the reports not much is being said about Dorsey or Albert on Bob Gretz.com or the
UWRF site

Fish
07-28-2008, 09:49 PM
Yea in the reports not much is being said about Dorsey or Albert on Bob Gretz.com or the
UWRF site

Well they know more than those of us not at camp right now. Keep an eye on the first few pages here, if there's something important enough to know, somebody will start a thread about it here. We're all craving more info. Especially about the young rookies. When a good report breaks, we'll likely be talking about it for a while.

milkman
07-28-2008, 09:52 PM
For the most, Warpaint reports indicate that Albert is holding his own against Tamba Hali.

Gretz, I believe, also mentioned that Albert has done well because of his athleticism, even though he isn't technically sound.

blueballs
07-28-2008, 10:11 PM
Posted on Mon, Jul. 28, 2008 10:15 PM

Chiefs camp buzz: Tony Gonzalez talks retirement

Chiefs quarterback Tyler Thigpen (right) took part in the morning workout.
Gonzalez talks retirement

Tony Gonzalez said he was 95 percent certain he would play again next year for the Chiefs. The one thing that would probably drive him out after this season?

The Chiefs winning the Super Bowl. That indicates Gonzalez believes the Chiefs have a 5 percent chance of winning it this year. That might not sound high, but it’s probably higher than most people believe.

Gonzalez more likely will be around in 2009. If this season develops as the Chiefs hope, next year will look a lot more promising.

“There are going to be some growing pains,” he said. “There’s no doubt about that. But I think by the end of the year we’re going to have a really good football team, and we’re going to be that much better next year.”

Another reason for Gonzalez to stick around for 2009: He would have to return a rather hefty portion of the signing bonus from his most recent contract if he retires.

“I just signed my contract last year,” he said. “If I did retire, I’d probably have to do like Barry Sanders and give some money back. I don’t know if I want to do that. I’m not saying I wouldn’t.”

Camp’s best battle

Some of the most interesting of battles in the early days of camp feature a big, physical receiver in Dwayne Bowe against smaller rookie cornerback Brandon Flowers.

Flowers gives up to Bowe 5 inches and 34 pounds, but Flowers is feisty and doesn’t back down. He made a spectacular play early in practice when he timed his move perfectly to rip the ball from Bowe’s hands and prevent a completion.

But Bowe knows how to use such a physical advantage about as well as any receiver in the league. He came right back at Flowers on the very next play, sealing Flowers away from the ball with his bigger body and making the catch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT...

THE OFFENSE
The starters failed to score a touchdown in the 2-minute drill when Jarrad Page broke up a pass for Jeff Webb in the end zone. … Kickers Connor Barth and Nick Novak each made their field-goal attempts from 39, 41 and 43 yards. Barth’s 39-yard kick just squeezed inside the left goal post. … Rookie free agent Dantrelle Savage is extremely quick to the hole. He broke a long run up the middle during the morning practice. Savage has no chance to make the team, though. He’s too much like another rookie, Jamaal Charles, who was drafted in the third round. … Gonzalez and Brian Waters were given the morning practice off.

THE DEFENSE
Donnie Edwards can still move, even at 35. Edwards sniffed out a swing pass to Kolby Smith and came a long way to tag Smith for a loss. … Linebacker Pat Thomas could be working his way into playing time. Thomas has received some work with the starting defense at middle linebacker. An undrafted rookie, LeRue Rumph, played in place of Derrick Johnson, who was mostly an observer because of leg cramps. … Nickel back Tyron Brackenridge put a hard tackle on receiver Sergiori Joachim, prompting some pushing and shoving between offensive and defensive players. Offensive players were most upset at safety Bernard Pollard, a skilled and consistent trash talker.

INJURY REPORT
Wide receiver Kevin Robinson (knee), defensive lineman Turk McBride (stomach ailment) and linebacker Derrick Johnson (leg cramps) did not work in either practice. Defensive end Tamba Hali (nose) did not practice in the afternoon. Offensive tackle Damion McIntosh (knee) and safety Jarrad Page (leg) left the afternoon practice early.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will have a special-teams practice in the morning and a regular practice in the afternoon.

| Adam Teicher

blueballs
07-28-2008, 10:14 PM
Posted on Mon, Jul. 28, 2008 10:15 PM

Larry Johnson eases into new role of savvy veteran
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

Larry Johnson is expected to shoulder a heavy load as the centerpiece of the Chiefs’ power running offense.
RIVER FALLS, Wis. | Larry Johnson is taking a knee on the practice field now, watching the Chiefs’ morning session and soaking it in.

No, he’s not injured or exhausted. The foot he broke eight months ago isn’t acting up again, not causing the shooting pain that ran up his middle toe and toward his ankle, even after doctors told him it had healed.

It is Monday morning, and Johnson is watching his teammates, the young running backs who might succeed him someday. He crouches for a few moments and then slides on his Chiefs helmet, running toward the huddle.

Ask him, and he’ll tell you: This is his team — still.

“Guys follow what I do,” Johnson says between training camp sessions Monday. “They can learn from what I do and as far as what I can do on the football field. That’s what they should be following.”

Johnson missed the final eight games last season with that broken bone in his right foot. He tried a handful of comebacks, and coach Herm Edwards didn’t rule him out for a game until the season finale.

Now, there are no questions. Johnson is the Chiefs’ feature back, for this season and, more important to Kansas City, of the immediate future. He is expected this season to shoulder a heavy load and is the centerpiece of new coordinator Chan Gailey’s power running offense.

Johnson says he likes it. He’s getting to know it, and he’s glad to be the focus and the bearer of this rebuilding team’s top responsibility.

“Any type of running game is good for me,” he says. “It’s not like a West Coast offense where we’re throwing it 90 percent of the time. You know, we’re over there running the ball a lot. It’s a good offense for me.”

The Chiefs are asking more of Johnson these days. They picked a running back this year in the third round of the NFL draft. Jamaal Charles is quick and young, seven years younger than the 28-year-old Johnson. The Chiefs think he, or 2007 fifth-round pick Kolby Smith, could carry the team if Johnson can’t do the heavy lifting that his foot buckled under last year.

So at the same time Johnson is trying to outwork and outplay the young rushers, he’s also trying to mentor them. They’re watching him. It took a while for Johnson to warm up to the idea, sure, but he has come around.

“He’s a cool dude,” says Charles, Johnson’s roommate in River Falls, “if you get to know him.”

Charles says he is trying to get to know what Johnson does during training camp. And Johnson is spreading enough knowledge and experience that Charles sometimes has trouble keeping up. Stay off the ground. Keep your pads low. Watch the line. Know where to be and what to do.

Johnson says he has settled into the mentor role and his advancing age, which ran up quickly on the kid who was still a young, occasionally immature player two years ago.

“I’ve been the older guy in college,” he says, “but I had five or six older guys who were in my position.”

Now, he is that guy the youngsters look toward. It is an unusual transition but one all players make if they hang around long enough. Tony Gonzalez has done it. The veteran tight end is 32 now, and he sees the end of his career clearer now than he once did.

The move to veteran can be difficult, Gonzalez says, but he says Johnson should make a smooth transition to the next stage of his career.

“Everybody handles it differently. It depends on how you think of it,” Gonzalez says. “He’s still pretty young at heart. I think he’ll handle it right.”

The Chiefs hope so. They invested 19 million guaranteed dollars in Johnson last year, and they need him to stay healthy and motivated and productive while they rebuild at other positions.

“I think he understands what we’re doing,” Edwards said Monday.

Johnson says Gailey’s offense is easier to understand than those of former coordinators Al Saunders and Mike Solari. Johnson says he is picking up its nuances quickly, on top of juggling all those other responsibilities.

Just don’t be surprised if Johnson needs to take a knee now and again.

“I just keep on going,” he says. “It’s not necessarily going to be all good and not necessarily going to be all bad. You’ve got to keep going and hope for the best.”

PastorMikH
07-28-2008, 10:36 PM
For the most, Warpaint reports indicate that Albert is holding his own against Tamba Hali.

Sooo, either Albert is playing really well keeping a solid pass rusher like Hali in check OR Hali's switch to the left side is such a miserable failure that he can't even get to the QB with a green rookie in his way.

Things like that have been going through my mind while reading the camp reports. The talk up an interception our DBs get, it was probably our starting QB that threw it and so on.

BIG K
07-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Great to hear he has become a mentor, and that his foot is fine....

I am more interested in however, if he plans on bringing the 'hits' to the defense like he did before......

BIG K
07-28-2008, 11:00 PM
Sooo, either Albert is playing really well keeping a solid pass rusher like Hali in check OR Hali's switch to the left side is such a miserable failure that he can't even get to the QB with a green rookie in his way.

Things like that have been going through my mind while reading the camp reports. The talk up an interception our DBs get, it was probably our starting QB that threw it and so on.

Yup! You want to feel good about both, but worry about both, no?

B_Ambuehl
07-28-2008, 11:51 PM
Don't be surprised if Tank Tyler looks better early on this year than Dorsey. People will probably be calling him a bust during preseason but it typically takes several years for a D-tackle to become dominant.

KcMizzou
07-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Things like that have been going through my mind while reading the camp reports. The talk up an interception our DBs get, it was probably our starting QB that threw it and so on.That's just how it is in camp... for every guy who makes a good play... another Chief made a bad one.

Only a week and 3 days till the preseason game against da Bears.

Messier
07-29-2008, 01:30 AM

You know that's got to happen when you're going up against your own team. Someone will win a battle and someone will lose. It doesn't mean someone is good and someone else isn't. I guess what you'd like to see is sometimes the D wins and sometimes the O wins.

Groves
07-29-2008, 08:22 AM
Hali Beats Albert
Optimist: Hali is awesome!
Pessimist: Albert's a bust!

Albert Beats Hali
Optimist: Albert's the man!
Pessimist: Hali and his bloody nose sucks!

They're evenly matched
Optimist: They're both great, and battling it out!
Pessimist: They both suck!

blueballs
07-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Glenda Dorsey and Brandy Albert
Burnt Flowers and Brokendown Carr
damn i need 8 more

DaKCMan AP
07-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Well they know more than those of us not at camp right now. Keep an eye on the first few pages here, if there's something important enough to know, somebody will start a thread about it here. We're all craving more info. Especially about the young blonde girl at camp. When a good pic is posted, we'll likely be talking about it for a while.

FYP

CosmicPal
07-29-2008, 09:10 AM
“Guys follow what I do,” Johnson says between training camp sessions Monday. “They can learn from what I do and as far as what I can do on the football field. That’s what they should be following.”

Just great. So none of our running backs are going to stay back and block, and refuse to catch passes out of the backfield?

Sorry L.J., you may be a great runner, but don't be a mentor until you can do it all, and do it unselfishly. Please.

Consistent1
07-29-2008, 12:15 PM
Don't be surprised if Tank Tyler looks better early on this year than Dorsey. People will probably be calling him a bust during preseason but it typically takes several years for a D-tackle to become dominant.

You make a good point. I don't see Dorsey just coming right out and kicking ass. It seems to me that there will indeed be people calling him a bust. He will be a good player at some point, maybe even great, but no reason to go crazy with the expectations. He signed for a lot of cash, which will kill some people's patience with him.

Chiefnj2
07-29-2008, 12:39 PM
Right now the young guys are being taught new techniques and movement. I'm sure Dorsey is trying to replicate what the coaches are teaching him rather than just playing and going after the ball. It takes time.

shitgoose
07-29-2008, 01:12 PM
From what I have seen/read/heard is that Dorsey is out of shape which might lend to him getting pushed around by some of the "lesser" o-linemen on the roster.

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2008, 01:23 PM
From what I have seen/read/heard is that Dorsey is out of shape which might lend to him getting pushed around by some of the "lesser" o-linemen on the roster.

You named yourself shitgoose?

WTF?

Neg rep

PastorMikH
07-29-2008, 01:36 PM
You know that's got to happen when you're going up against your own team. Someone will win a battle and someone will lose. It doesn't mean someone is good and someone else isn't. I guess what you'd like to see is sometimes the D wins and sometimes the O wins.

I'm kinda more thinking that over the last several years we have heard how one of our squads is really excelling while going against each other, but then when we are playing everyone else, both squads suck. Its just that one squad sucks worse than the other. So I don't get my hopes up anymore based on inter-squad play.

Thursday will be interesting when they meet up with the Vikings. Rational thinking says I hope Allen doesn't kill Croyle. Hopefull thinking says I hope Albert man-handles Allen.

blueballs
07-29-2008, 01:39 PM
at the price they paid
Allen to valuable to risk the injury

shitgoose
07-29-2008, 02:02 PM
You named yourself shitgoose?

WTF?

Neg rep

You named yourself ChiefaRoo?

I assume that "Neg Rep" stands for negative reputation. Why would that give me a negative reputation? Please explain your reasoning while bashing my name. Isn't this a thread having to do with Albert and Dorsey? If you wanna talk about my name then start a thread called "You named yourself Shigoose WTF Neg Rep" and we can talk about it there

Chiefshrink
07-29-2008, 02:53 PM
They are adjusting to the speed of the pro game as well as their cardio shape going from college to pro. The pre-season games to watch their progression is games 3 and 4. At that point we will see if they are holding their own. They don't need to be dominate at this point although it would be nice just holding their own IMO. By mid-season we will know whether they will be 1. Bust(i.e. Sims) 2. Holding own with potential to be good (i.e.Waters) 3. Good with potential to be GREAT (i.e. Roaf, John Henderson). Remember it took John Henderson a couple of years to be a full dominating tackle for the Titans. Be patient!!:hmmm:

beach tribe
07-29-2008, 02:59 PM
They are adjusting to the speed of the pro game as well as their cardio shape going from college to pro. The pre-season games to watch their progression is games 3 and 4. At that point we will see if they are holding their own. They don't need to be dominate at this point although it would be nice just holding their own IMO. By mid-season we will know whether they will be 1. Bust(i.e. Sims) 2. Holding own with potential to be good (i.e.Waters) 3. Good with potential to be GREAT (i.e. Roaf, John Henderson). Remember it took John Henderson a couple of years to be a full dominating tackle for the Titans. Be patient!!:hmmm:

You mean it took that long for Haynesworth, or Henderson of the Jags?

blueballs
07-29-2008, 04:26 PM
Chiefaroo attacking n00bs like skip
good enough excuse to start drinking

ChiefaRoo
07-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Chiefaroo attacking n00bs like skip
good enough excuse to start drinking

I'm not attacking. I am simply correcting an action like one would a young child. :)

shitgoose
07-30-2008, 08:24 AM
I'm not attacking. I am simply correcting an action like one would a young child. :)

Well I am not a child so go F.uck Yourself

milkman
07-30-2008, 08:34 AM

I've had the same thoughts.

I am looking forward to the scimmage with the Vikings so we can begin to devine what it all means.

If Albert isn't owned by Allen, and he holds his own, that'll be a good day.

milkman
07-30-2008, 08:34 AM

I assume that "Neg Rep" stands for negative reputation. Why would that give me a negative reputation? Please explain your reasoning while bashing my name. Isn't this a thread having to do with Albert and Dorsey? If you wanna talk about my name then start a thread called "You named yourself Shigoose WTF Neg Rep" and we can talk about it there

If you want threads to stay on track, you've come to the wrong place shithead.

Frazod
07-30-2008, 08:51 AM

He's an idiot. Ignore him.