PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Features Q&A with BRODIE CROYLE - 7/29

Tribal Warfare
07-29-2008, 04:02 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/29/qa_with_brodie_croyle__729/

Q&A with BRODIE CROYLE - 7/29
Jul 29, 2008, 4:41:40 PM

Q: Can you just start off talking about your timing with your receivers and how you’re working on that in camp?

BRODIE CROYLE: “We’ve gotten better every day, especially over the course of training camp. It’s kind of all starting to come together. Obviously we’ve got a long way to go, but we’re getting better every day. We’re all buying into the system and we’ll make it work.”

Q: How important is it that you’re living with WR Dwayne Bowe at training camp? What’s that like?

CROYLE: “Early morning wake up calls to Lil Wayne. He’s a big Lil Wayne fan. It’s been good though.”

Q: Does that help with being on the same page?

CROYLE: “Yeah. That was one thing (Head Coach) Herm (Edwards) said. He came to us during OTAs and said he was going to put us together. We already have a great relationship and we’re kind of building on that. For us to have a good year, me and him, both of us have to have good years, completing a lot of balls and scoring a lot of touchdowns.”

Q: Do you feel like last year was a fair test for you, as far as what you can do?

CROYLE: “You play the cards that you’re dealt. You don’t always have the ideal situation, but you go in there and play. Even though we didn’t play as well as we wanted to and we didn’t win games, I think it was a big step for a lot of things that I kind of got out of the way. There’s a lot to learn in the league, I still have a lot to learn. I think it helped and it will kind of go over into this year.”

Q: What do you mean by ‘got out of the way’?

CROYLE: “Every play you learn something. There are times where, in college you might have been able to get it into a certain hole and I tried it last year and it didn’t work out too well. It’s when you start making the same mistakes when you start getting yourself in trouble.”

Q: Is camp different for you now that you come in knowing you’re the starter?

CROYLE: “Yeah. It’s definitely a lot different. As a quarterback you want to be the leader of the offense, you want people to believe in you. It’s a whole lot easier if you’re the starter, you know you’re the starter and your teammates know you’re the starter as opposed to trying to compete for a job. It’s not that the team is divided, but certain guys believe in one guy and certain guys believe in another. It’s a lot easier to take that next step.”

Q: The new offense will allow you to make more changes at the line. How do you feel about that? Is that kind of exciting for you?

CROYLE: “It is. It’s something where, if the numbers are stacked up against us, it doesn’t make sense to run into it. With the new offense you can either change the declaration of the play or we can change the play, or we’ll have checks going into different games or different game plans. It just gives us the best chance to get in the right play and have a positive play.”

Q: How quickly are you beginning to grasp the offense?

CROYLE: “There’s only so many things you run on offense. They’re basically all the same things, you just call it different things. I mean, is it different? Yes. But it’s really just learning new terminology. I guess I had the benefit of learning three offenses in six months in college, so I guess it kind of got me ready for it.”

Q: The roll-outs and bootlegs that you’re going to be doing – how well does that suit you?

CROYLE: “I like it. It kind of gets me out in the open. Let’s me show off my great speed (laughs). It’s good. It’s something that we needed. We didn’t run a whole lot of it last year, but it suits our offense as much as we count on the running game. ”

Q: Do you need to win a game before you feel like this is your team and they’re completely behind you?

CROYLE: “You need to win a lot more than one game before you win people over. You have to out there and prove it on Sundays and go out there and win a bunch of games. It’s going to take a lot more than just one. You have to earn people’s trust, it’s not given, and I fully understand and respect that.”

Q: What do you think of the line so far? Is it coming together and being cohesive?

CROYLE: “They really have. (Offensive Coordinator) Chan’s (Gailey) big thing is protection. If it takes getting less people out on pass plays, he’ll do that as long as the quarterback is protected and we have somewhere to go with the ball. Between that and our new young line, I feel very comfortable back there.”

Q: How is it going to feel having Jared (Allen) coming at you on Thursday?

CROYLE: “I don’t know. He’s been talking a lot, so I might have to pull a Longest Yard on him.”

Q: Coach Gailey had QB Kordell Stewart. Any talk of you playing wide receiver?

CROYLE: “He obviously hasn’t seen me run.”

Q: You have a personal interest in how T Branden (Albert) plays this season. What have you seen from him?

CROYLE: “I’ve always said that I have a lot more things to worry about than the offensive line. That’s just something that I have to trust. You know Branden has come here and picked up the offense quickly. He’s looked great. At OTAs and over the course of training camp, he’s looked really, really good. Obviously going against one of the best defensive ends in the league will be a big test for him on Thursday, but he’ll do fine and we shouldn’t have any problem.”

Q: How is your relationship with WR Devard Darling coming along?

CROYLE: “We’re still feeling each other out. But he came out with a big catch yesterday during two-minute drill. He’s got a lot of skills, and we’re counting on him. Obviously people are going to be keeping an eye on Dwayne (Bowe) and Tony (Gonzalez) so that will leave a lot of one-on-ones for him. We’re counting on him to have a big year.”

blueballs
07-29-2008, 04:11 PM
Damond rooming with Sippio

Zebedee DuBois
07-29-2008, 04:19 PM
Q: How is it going to feel having Jared (Allen) coming at you on Thursday?

CROYLE: “I don’t know. He’s been talking a lot, so I might have to pull a Longest Yard on him.”

heh heh.

rambleonthruthefog
07-29-2008, 04:21 PM
lamest Q&A thus far. don't know why. just didn't like it.

Crashride
07-29-2008, 04:22 PM
lamest Q&A thus far. don't know why. just didn't like it.

Meh, I actually liked it. He has good character.

RealSNR
07-29-2008, 04:25 PM
Meh, I actually liked it. He has good character.He sounds like a dumb****. Doesn't say anything.

Luckily you don't need to be a scholar to play football

Crashride
07-29-2008, 04:30 PM
He sounds like a dumb****. Doesn't say anything.

Luckily you don't need to be a scholar to play football

I see what you mean but at least it isnt ALL player-speak. He mixes in humor from time to time.

Micjones
07-29-2008, 04:34 PM
Solid responses from the kid.

R&GHomer
07-29-2008, 04:44 PM
heh heh.

LOL... hope he isn't going to be an asshole is what he should have said. I think Albert has the potential to be a great left tackle, but to stop a determined Allen at this point is laughable. That being said, he does have a swagger about him doesn't he? Damn he looks small

OnTheWarpath15
07-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Q: The new offense will allow you to make more changes at the line. How do you feel about that? Is that kind of exciting for you?

CROYLE: “It is. It’s something where, if the numbers are stacked up against us, it doesn’t make sense to run into it. With the new offense you can either change the declaration of the play or we can change the play, or we’ll have checks going into different games or different game plans. It just gives us the best chance to get in the right play and have a positive play.”

WHAT?

No more running LJ into 9 man fronts?

beach tribe
07-29-2008, 05:31 PM
WHAT?

No more running LJ into 9 man fronts?

We may improve because of this.

OnTheWarpath15
07-29-2008, 05:39 PM
We may improve because of this.

Makes sense.

Makes you wonder why Solari or Saunders never let Trent Green do it...

StcChief
07-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Jury is still out. hope he is "getting it" early

CoMoChief
07-29-2008, 06:31 PM
Q: Is camp different for you now that you come in knowing you’re the starter?

They ask this same ****ing question after every OTA, practice, etc.

Seriously how many more ****ing times are (Rhonda) they gonna ask this?

Mecca
07-29-2008, 06:38 PM
CROYLE: “They really have. (Offensive Coordinator) Chan’s (Gailey) big thing is protection. If it takes getting less people out on pass plays, he’ll do that as long as the quarterback is protected and we have somewhere to go with the ball. Between that and our new young line, I feel very comfortable back there.”

Maybe it's just me, but that's more of the same thing the Chiefs were doing after Vermiel of "that last guy was stupid, he didn't know what he was doing" I think all teams big thing is protection just some have the talent to actually do it while others don't...

Zouk
07-29-2008, 06:51 PM
Maybe it's just me, but that's more of the same thing the Chiefs were doing after Vermiel of "that last guy was stupid, he didn't know what he was doing" I think all teams big thing is protection just some have the talent to actually do it while others don't...

Incorrect. Tendency to max protect goes against the grain of many NFL teams today that prefer to spread. Chan is old school. People are going to hate it and be crying after 2 weeks.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Incorrect. Tendency to max protect goes against the grain of many NFL teams today that prefer to spread. Chan is old school. People are going to hate it and be crying after 2 weeks.

Yea if you have the talent to not do it....Trent Green was one of the best protected QB's I've ever seen and the Chiefs never max protected then it was a matter of talent to do it.

Zouk
07-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Yea if you have the talent to not do it....Trent Green was one of the best protected QB's I've ever seen and the Chiefs never max protected then it was a matter of talent to do it.

Okay - but Brodie specifically mentioned taking people out of the pass patterns to protect which is evidence of a different mindset that is definitely more conservative. If you have great talent like that Chiefs O-line than you don't have to make the compromises that virtually every team in the NFL today has to.

It is true though that the Chiefs did go max protect a lot last year only to see Jason Dunn, Kris Wilson, and LJ whiff on pass protection.

Mecca
07-29-2008, 07:00 PM
I'm simply saying that he's mentioning that when it's something they were doing anyway, it's a matter of talent.