PDA

View Full Version : Football Newest chapter in Favre saga? Bribery.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 11:19 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aq.DCBEdKMUTQ_I0bGzJKfM5nYcB?slug=txfavrepackers&prov=st&type=lgns

HATTIESBURG, Mississippi (Ticker)—Green Bay Packers president and CEO Mark Murphy met with Brett Favre and his agent James “Bus” Cook on Wednesday.

Murphy flew to Mississippi on Tuesday night for discussions aimed at keeping Favre out of training camp until the messy situation can be resolved. It appears the team is willing to go to great lengths to make that happen.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette, citing a source, reported late Wednesday that Murphy proposed an idea of paying Favre approximately $20 million over 10 years to stay retired.

Favre, who spent about 3 1/2 hours in the meeting with Murphy and Cook before departing, is not interested, according to his agent.

“We’re going to do whatever Brett wants to do,” Cook told the Hattiesburg American after the meeting. “And right now, his intention is to go back to Green Bay and play football.”

“It’s a standoff,” a source close to Favre told the Press-Gazette.

The Packers released a statement from Murphy on Wednesday night which shed little light on the stalement between the team and the league’s only three-time Most Valuable Player.

“I was in Hattiesburg today and had a nice visit with Brett Favre. We discussed a number of topics not related to football, including Brett’s long-term relationship with the Packers,” Murphy said in a statement. “I consider our conversation to be confidential and am going to be respectful of Brett and his family and keep the details private.

“Ted and Mike (general manager Ted Thompson and coach Mike McCarthy) are going to continue to work on the football side of this issue. They have my full support.”

A spokesman for Cook’s office had told PA SportsTicker that the parties involved would “probably be meeting for a good portion of the day.”

Favre, who announced his retirement at a tearful press conference in March, faxed his reinstatement letter to the NFL offices Tuesday.

Once Favre is granted reinstatement - a step considered a formality - by Commissioner Roger Goodell, the Packers will have 24 hours to release Favre or return him to their active roster.

The NFL announced that Goodell will not act upon Favre’s petition to be reinstated on Wednesday.

“The commissioner is taking no action today,” league spokesman Greg Aiello said. “He wants to give both the Packers and Brett an appropriate amount of time to make decisions, including decisions impacting the team’s roster and salary cap. When Brett is reinstated by the commissioner, we will announce it.”

The team will not practice on Thursday, meaning the earliest Favre can show up at training camp is Friday.

Cook told ESPN on Wednesday that it’s highly unlikely Favre will be quarterbacking the Packers this season.

“He would love to go back to Green Bay,” Cook said. “Right now, it looks like he’ll be the quarterback at Oak Grove High School (where Favre has been working out).”

Favre, who has two years remaining on his contract, approached the Packers earlier this month about returning. However, the team has tried to move on without him and coach Mike McCarthy already has tabbed Aaron Rodgers as his starting quarterback.

Favre has asked to be released, something Packers general manager Ted Thompson has said the team would not do.

Nzoner
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
Tampa Bay may want to still try and work something out

Jeff Garcia left the Buccaneers' practice field on a golf cart Thursday with a right calf injury.
Once in the locker room, Garcia was able to walk under his own power but was limping noticeably. Coach Jon Gruden downplayed the incident, calling the injury prone veteran day-to-day. Stay tuned, as Garcia could put little weight on the calf.
Source: St. Petersburg Times (http://blogs.tampabay.com/bucs/2008/07/gruden-downplay.html)

Pablo
07-31-2008, 11:25 AM
C'mon Favre...quit being such a b*tch about all this. Just take your money, shoot your Wrangler commercials and have a cold glass of iced tea for f*cks sake.

StcChief
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Still think TB is in the cards for Brett

Tribal Warfare
07-31-2008, 11:28 AM
Green Bay is going to regret this by "moving on" without their HOF QB.

Nzoner
07-31-2008, 11:30 AM
C'mon Favre...quit being such a b*tch about all this. Just take your money, shoot your Wrangler commercials and have a cold glass of iced tea for f*cks sake.

I'm getting absolutely sick of this shit,everytime I turn on NFL Network etc. it's practically all they want to talk about.

tomahawk kid
07-31-2008, 11:32 AM
And we've officially jumped the shark.

The longer this whole deal is allowed to go on, the more Farve looks like a drama queen.

Iowanian
07-31-2008, 11:34 AM
I've enjoyed watching Favre play ball.

That said, he's told Green Bay for at least 3 seasons now that he was retiring. They have drafted 3 QBs to prepare for his decision, Aaron Rodgers was a first round pick, that now has had time to learn...its time for him to play. Its not fair to anyone else on that team what Brett is doing.

Brett Favre, you've got your superbowl ring, you've got your MVP, you've got your probowls and you've got a body that has taken 17 seasons of beatings. enough. Go enjoy your family.

If you're just board and have too much money...I've got some projects around my place you can help with.

KCUnited
$20 million over 10, sounds like some KC media bs. That's just silly.

Pablo
I'm getting absolutely sick of this shit,everytime I turn on NFL Network etc. it's practically all they want to talk about.No sh*t. And god forbid he does go to TB, all we'll be seeing on the highlights is "Favre pulls upset with new team".

Then on the pre-game shows "How will Favre adjust with this new team, how is the team chemistry?"

unothadeal
07-31-2008, 11:36 AM
I thought Favre said he was retiring. What happened to that?

Redrum_69
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM
I bet this has something to do with Rogers beating Favre in the horseshoe contest, and then Rogers has to tell Favre that he should stick with acting in movies like "Theres Something about Mary 2: Woogies Revenge"

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 11:37 AM

The longer this whole deal is allowed to go on, the more Farve looks like a drama queen.

I'm curious as to why you feel that way...just a dislike for Favre overall? Or just sick of the story?

I'm sick to death of the story, but IMO, the Packers are ****ing retarded.

With Favre at QB, they have a legitimate chance to return to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.

That won't happen with Aaron Rodgers under center.

If I were a GB fan, I'd be pissed that the franchise is turning down an opportunity to bring another Lombardi Trophy to town. If his skills had diminished, it would be different, but the guy is still one of the best in the league, even at his age.

People change their mind all the time - and in this case, the Packers need to shit, or get off the pot. The guy wants to play, and isn't going to back down, so either play him, trade him or release him.

SAUTO
07-31-2008, 11:40 AM
imho if it was about money brett would take the 20 mil and ride off but if in fact heturned it down then i suppose that he really wants to play football, so if that's the case let the future HOF play

Chiefnj2
07-31-2008, 11:49 AM
They can't just trade him away to anybody. Brett can nix a trade.

tomahawk kid
07-31-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm curious as to why you feel that way...just a dislike for Favre overall? Or just sick of the story?

With Favre at QB, they have a legitimate chance to return to the NFC Championship game and the Super Bowl.

If I were a GB fan, I'd be pissed that the franchise is turning down an opportunity to bring another Lombardi Trophy to town. If his skills had diminished, it would be different, but the guy is still one of the best in the league, even at his age.

People change their mind all the time - and in this case, the Packers need to shit, or get off the pot. The guy wants to play, and isn't going to back down, so either play him, trade him or release him.

A little of both.

Sick of the story and I think both sides are being a bit retarded.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 11:54 AM
A little of both.

Sick of the story and I think both sides are being a bit retarded.

Fair enough.

blueballs
07-31-2008, 11:58 AM
Favre's wife must be a world class bitch
never seen a man try so ****ing hard to get out of the house

allen_kcCard
07-31-2008, 11:59 AM
Stop the presses. Jeff Garcia is hurt now. They will bribe him to stay unretired just so they can bend Tampa over in a trade.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=440468

kcxiv
07-31-2008, 12:05 PM
Dude is 38, he thought he was done playng at the time, he said he was done. Football season comes around and he wants to play again. He changed his mind. Big ****ing deal. If he wants to play and he still has the skillz to play, then i dont see anything wrong with it. Favre do what you gotta do man.

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:09 PM
he's more urban myth
than legend
at this stage

chasedude
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
Stop the presses. Jeff Garcia is hurt now. They will bribe him to stay unretired just so they can bend Tampa over in a trade.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=440468

I wonder what Tampa Bay would give up to bring Favre in?

allen_kcCard
07-31-2008, 12:11 PM
I would say a lot more now with that development.

kcxiv
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
he's more urban myth
than legend
at this stage

Yeah, because having one of your best seasons last year makes you a Myth. Wtf are you talking about.

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:24 PM
http://www.nfl.com/players/brettfavre/profile?id=FAV540222
-after snatching this link
I never realized what a fumbler he is

Skip Towne
07-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Has anybody been to the GB boards? What do their fans think?

DaKCMan AP
07-31-2008, 12:31 PM
If Favre ended up in TB I may have to try and go to a couple Bucs games this year.

Redrum_69
07-31-2008, 12:34 PM
but...but...but...if favre came to KC..we'd be more in the media spotlight...and John Madden would give KC the highest rating in Madden football

and we would be in every sentence that spews from maddens mouth...

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:37 PM
KC Chiefs saturated in Favre manjuice
where do i sign up

Chiefnj2
07-31-2008, 01:04 PM
It's good to see all of Favre's teammates sticking up for him.

JuicesFlowing
07-31-2008, 02:30 PM
So then in 10 years Favre comes back anyway. He'd only be 47 or 48, right? Nice plan.

blueballs
07-31-2008, 10:02 PM

Chiefsplanet has jumped the shark
it is fallen behind as the place to get chiefs news
set around patting yourselfs on the back and lost the game

DaneMcCloud
08-01-2008, 12:16 AM

If you'll recall, many people felt the same way about Young & Montana.

Montana was essentially forced out of San Francisco in favor of Steve Young (who'd essentially done nothing in Tampa Bay, though he did win some games while Montana was injured).

The fact that Favre is a HOFer doesn't negate the fact that Rodgers may have the ability to take that team to the next level.

Hammock Parties
08-01-2008, 12:31 AM
**** Brett Favre. In the ass.

SBK
08-01-2008, 05:40 AM
If I was Favre I'd tell the team to double their offer. Either $4M a year for 10 years, or $2M a year for 20. Then I'd take the money and spend the rest of my life wiping my butt with $100 bills.

The Franchise
08-01-2008, 10:14 AM
So what I don't understand is this:

Watching Sportscenter this morning they're saying that Favre is interested in taking the deal if they up it to $25 million over 10 years. So if he accepts the money....isn't he just a greedy bitch? He says that he wants to play....but if he truly wanted to just play football again....then he would turn down whatever offer they gave him and just keep demanding a trade.

OnTheWarpath15
08-01-2008, 10:23 AM
So what I don't understand is this:

Watching Sportscenter this morning they're saying that Favre is interested in taking the deal if they up it to $25 million over 10 years. So if he accepts the money....isn't he just a greedy bitch? He says that he wants to play....but if he truly wanted to just play football again....then he would turn down whatever offer they gave him and just keep demanding a trade.

He makes $10M this year if he plays, and I can only assume his salary would go up if he played in 2009 as well.

He's getting his $20-$25M either way.

The Franchise
08-01-2008, 11:08 AM
He makes $10M this year if he plays, and I can only assume his salary would go up if he played in 2009 as well.

He's getting his $20-$25M either way.

Yeah but what I'm saying is that isn't he supposedly coming back because he wants to play football again? If that's true...then he wouldn't even consider taking money to stay retired.