PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A Dwayne Bowe

R&GHomer
07-31-2008, 11:43 AM
Q&A with DWAYNE BOWE -7/31
Jul 31, 2008, 12:00:40 PM

http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/07/31/qa_with_dwayne_bowe_731/

Q: Are you anxious to go up against somebody else for a change (against Minnesota)?

DWAYNE BOWE: “Always anxious, never nervous. Always trust yourself. I’m going to put on a show tomorrow.”

Q: What are we going to see from you?

BOWE: “A lot of excitement. A lot of energy. A lot of great plays.”

Q: Is this when the show comes out for real?

BOWE: “Let’s see. Is there 80,000 fans here? I’ll give you a preview. I’ll give you the ending of it, I don’t want to give you the whole show, then you won’t come to the game. I’ll give you a little taste. Like a movie trailer.”

Q: Herm looks like he’s leaning on you, maybe depending on you to help communicate with the guys. Is that the case?

BOWE: “That’s the case. I learned a lot last year.”

Q: What about rooming with QB Brodie (Croyle) and waking up to Lil Wayne?

BOWE: “I’m trying to get him hip. The hip-hop world. He’s country.”

Q: Does he like it?

BOWE: “Some days he does, some days he doesn’t. There’s more days where he likes it than where he doesn’t.”

Q: Do you watch his hunting DVDs?

BOWE: “Oh no no no. If he wants me to watch that, he’s got to listen to a whole Lil Wayne catalog.”

Q: You’ll have to take him to a concert. It seems like you have a bond now. You have to have that right?

BOWE: “You have to. If he likes what I do here on the field then he tells me, you know, what to do and what situations we need to work on. It’s more fun this way.”

Q: Do you feel like one of the veterans already?

BOWE: “I don’t feel like an old guy. I feel like a guy that’s been here two years. You know, Eddie (Kennison) was telling me how to do it and mentoring me. Obviously it paid off. I want them to look at me as their peer and to follow in my footsteps.”

Q: There’s been a quick evolution of this wide receiver corps in just one year. You guys are big out there now.

BOWE: “Big and fast. Real big and fast. I just can’t wait for when the lights come on, I want to see what those guys got. Anybody can come out here and practice, but when you got 80,000 fans, that’s when the show begins. I know my guys are going to do a great job.”

Q: Being the leader of the wide receiving corps, that’s a big change for you isn’t it?

BOWE: “It’s a big change, but like in college, you know my first year I was a little behind just like I was my first year here, but in my second year I took over. And that’s what I plan on doing, I plan on taking over and being the man from here on out.”

Q: Who do you look to if you’ve got something you need to work on?

BOWE: “Tony (Gonzalez). Tony knows a lot, man. Just walking in after practice and during practice and even on the field he’s doing something extra. That’s what it takes to get to the Pro Bowl.”

Q: What do you have to do this year to win?

BOWE: “Play together. Play all four quarters. We need to make sure we play all four quarters hard.”

Q: What about this new offense?

BOWE: “I like this new offense. It’s a change to throw the football – it’s a great change. The wideouts, you know, we love it. Everybody’s firing off the ball and blocking down field.”

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:03 PM
please don't go TO on us
sounds more like Chad Johnson now
a little neon

The Franchise
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
BOWE: “I like this new offense. It’s a change to throw the football – it’s a great change. The wideouts, you know, we love it. Everybody’s firing off the ball and blocking down field.”

:hmmm:

RealSNR
07-31-2008, 12:04 PM
Sounds like locker room cancer. Cut him.

kcxiv
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
please don't go TO on us
a little neon

This is what i want. Be flashy, show some excitement. Show you care. Show that you want to win.

I said in the other thread. Fans will turn on Bowe. Its going to happen. That just makes me like the kid even more. I love it.

Chief Faithful
07-31-2008, 12:10 PM
I love his confidence. This guy is a #1 WR and he knows it. This guy will become the best WR in the West and it may happen this year.

R&GHomer
07-31-2008, 12:12 PM
please don't go TO on us
a little neon

I agree. I can stand it if he can put his money were his mouth is. I prefer a player that shows humility and class, but Bowe isn't that guy. Man I used to love it when Allen would score a touch down and hand the ref the football. Like, hey I've been here before and I'll be here again. Now lets get back to business.

InChiefsHeaven
07-31-2008, 12:13 PM
please don't go TO on us
a little neon

Let's hope Eddie last year and Tony for the next couple will keep his head in check...

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:14 PM
he's shows a playfulness
that's good

blueballs
07-31-2008, 12:15 PM
he may have to put up with a string
of less than stellar QBs

chasedude
07-31-2008, 12:17 PM

:hmmm:

I noticed this too. That would be a WONDERFUL change!

Chief Faithful
07-31-2008, 12:23 PM
he's shows a playfulness
that's good

I agree and I think the team needs a playmaker with his nature. I think his words will help keep thinks loose and will challenge the players at mid-season when guys have a tendency to let up a little.

beach tribe
07-31-2008, 12:45 PM
I have no problem with Bowe's attitude.

He's confident. Most Playmaking WRs are.

I think he's playing a game, or a role more than anything(not like CJ, who is a genuine Jackass.) As long as he backs it up on the field, I think it's good for the team.

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 12:52 PM
As long as he does not become an idiot, a little attitude is good. He has done a little in the league but cannot go crazy thinking he is the man. TO or Johnson talking don't matter much because they usually always play their role. After another year, and some wins, Bowe can talk. That said, Bowe didn't really speak like a fool there. I can see him doing it at some point if the media keeps working him.

beach tribe
07-31-2008, 01:01 PM
As long as he does not become an idiot, a little attitude is good. He has done a little in the league but cannot go crazy thinking he is the man. TO or Johnson talking don't matter much because they usually always play their role. After another year, and some wins, Bowe can talk. That said, Bowe didn't really speak like a fool there. I can see him doing it at some point if the media keeps working him.

I don't think Bowe will go ultra prima donna unless he puts up big #s, and at that point he can do whatever the hell he wants. He'll probably bring a lot of exposure to the Chiefs at some point in his career.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-31-2008, 01:52 PM
My favorite Chief, hands down.

I love Bowe.

FAX
07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
I hope Herm doesn't wear out his legs this pre-season. It wouldn't be a good idea to go into the first game with tired bowe legs.

FAX

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 02:16 PM
I hope Herm doesn't wear out his legs this pre-season. It wouldn't be a good idea to go into the first game with tired bowe legs.

FAX

so now we're fearing being bowe legged

rambleonthruthefog
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I love this guy. Big time all the way. He brings the right attitude to this team right now. I hear his work ethic is great, and i know his play is. Pure win baby, pure win. We know Jerry Rice is his WR role model. no better one to have.

JuicesFlowing
07-31-2008, 02:53 PM
I love his confidence. This guy is a #1 WR and he knows it. This guy will become the best WR in the West and it may happen this year.

I completely agree. He stepped up huge as a rookie ... he'll get even better from here on out.

wutamess
07-31-2008, 02:54 PM
please don't go TO on us
a little neon

Go all of that and then some.
We're not winning the SB anytime soon might as well have a great player that wants to win on OUR side.
Act a fuggin fool.

~ On the field.

blueballs
07-31-2008, 02:58 PM
david Boston had a good season once

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 02:59 PM

blasphemy

btw get ready for the sophomore slump

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
Bowe will not have a sophmore slump!

crazycoffey
07-31-2008, 03:00 PM
...get ready for the sophomore slump

No way, not with this high powered Offense....

blueballs
07-31-2008, 03:01 PM
Come on
if Jared Allen won't fight someone has to take up the slack
everyone's already primed

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
so now we're fearing being bowe legged

screw you guys this was funny

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 03:21 PM
No way, not with this high powered Offense....
The
I think I chan offense.

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 03:22 PM

Exactly why he should not be talking shit. Good point. I think he will be great, but he needs to watch it.

FAX
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
The
I think I chan offense.

ROFL

FAX

KCrockaholic
07-31-2008, 04:18 PM
I like Bowe's attitude, i really see nothing wrong with it. He's a lot like a toned-down Chad Johnson...in other words, he has ability like Chad, but isnt as disrespectful as chad....Bowe likes to make plays, and be flashy. But he likes to have fun doing it as well. He wants to entertain the fans along the way.

and you gotta remember....most great WR's in todays NFL are quite full of themselves...but hey, if that means we win more games.. im happy with it.

FAX
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
I feel pretty much the same way, Mr. kcrockaholic4life. It strikes me that he's just having fun with the interviewer. Unless he starts writing his name in pig's blood on the end zone turf after a touchdown (did I just say touchdown?), I'm more than comfortable with a little cockiness. It's been a long time since we've had a player who was vocal and unabashed about his ability. It's actually a little refreshing. Still, it would go down a little easier if we could maybe win a game or two.

The part of the interview that caught my eye was the excitement he conveyed about playing in front of the 80k. I hope all our players feel the same way, frankly.

FAX

InChiefsHeaven
07-31-2008, 05:42 PM
I feel pretty much the same way, Mr. kcrockaholic4life. It strikes me that he's just having fun with the interviewer. Unless he starts writing his name in pig's blood on the end zone turf after a touchdown (did I just say touchdown?), I'm more than comfortable with a little cockiness. It's been a long time since we've had a player who was vocal and unabashed about his ability. It's actually a little refreshing. Still, it would go down a little easier if we could maybe win a game or two.

The part of the interview that caught my eye was the excitement he conveyed about playing in front of the 80k. I hope all our players feel the same way, frankly.

FAX

I hope our fans show up to make it 80K...

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
I hope our fans show up to make it 80K...

From what I'm seeing on Ticketmaster, Ebay and Craigslist, it might take 2 home games to get to 80K...

mesmith31
07-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Yeah...who needs another cocksure flashy wide receiver like Michael Irvin, or Chad Johnson, or Randy Moss, or TO or...hold on a sec....

InChiefsHeaven
08-01-2008, 06:43 PM
From what I'm seeing on Ticketmaster, Ebay and Craigslist, it might take 2 home games to get to 80K...

Dammit.:(

Marcellus
08-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Yeah...who needs another cocksure flashy wide receiver like Michael Irvin, or Chad Johnson, or Randy Moss, or TO or...hold on a sec....

No kidding. I am not big on trash talk but we need a break the mold of the recent Chiefs player kind of guy. If he lives up to his talk, let him talk.

We haven't had a person with this type of energy on offense since.....I can't remember. Probably Rison his pro bowl year. Not that I wan't Bowe to become Rison.

Marcellus
08-01-2008, 07:09 PM

It's August. This first home game will sell out. Depends on how they play after that.

teedubya
08-01-2008, 08:09 PM
So we are going to pass more?

PPPP?

blueballs
08-16-2008, 01:13 PM
It's an epidemic

Why do nearly all of NFL's wackos play wideout?

By Hub Arkush (hub@pfwmedia.com)
Aug. 16, 2008

Is there anyone who can explain why almost every narcissist, manic-depressive, sociopath and psychopath in the NFL plays wide receiver? If I asked you to list the most controversial players in the league, is there any chance you wouldn’t include Terrell Owens, Chad Johnson and Randy Moss? Give me a Pacman — excuse me, Adam — Jones, and I’ll raise you a Javon Walker. Toss in an Odell Thurman and I’ll blow you away with a Chris Henry. You’ve got Tank Johnson, I’ve got Steve Smith. You say Nick Kaczur, and I’ll say Matt Jones. And how about Brandon Marshall for dessert?

We could go on, but I’m sure you’re waving a white flag by now. List the top five problem children in the NFL, and I defy you to argue that any player but Jones can compete with Owens, “Ocho Cinco,” Walker, Smith and Moss. And here’s the most remarkable fact about the wacky world of wideouts: Every one of my top five nut jobs is a Pro Bowl performer!

To be fair, Moss has been peaking on the field and quiet off it for the last 18 months or so, but to believe the elevator is suddenly going all the way to the top inside the head of the Patriots’ megastar receiver forever and ever is kind of like sitting in front of your fireplace 364 days in a row after Christmas, certain Santa will pop out at any moment.

Yes, it’s been at least months since T.O. shed alligator tears over the way the big, bad media was beating up “my quarterback,” or since he accidentally or otherwise tried to off himself, but what do you really think the chances are Owens gets an award for contributions to the community or to his own locker room if the Cowboys aren’t leading the NFC East at midseason?

The Bengals’ No. 85, let’s see now — can anyone spell Fruit Loops? I’m ashamed to admit I can’t remember who the ESPN interviewer was, but I wanted to stand up and cheer the other night when he responded to Johnson’s query as to what he was laughing at by straightforwardly admitting, “Because I have no idea whether I’m supposed to take you seriously or not.”

Walker is actually a kid I worry about a lot. By all accounts he’s more of a lost soul than a bad guy. His problems in Green Bay were that they wouldn’t pay him enough, and in Denver they didn’t respect him enough. But to be found seriously beaten and unconscious on the streets of Las Vegas after a night of wild partying, then be able to report to his new home, Oakland, looking better than anybody expected but have to be talked out of quitting and returning his $11 million signing bonus by Al Davis because he’s unhappy with his performance, wow! Moss, Owens and Johnson may not be dealing from full decks, but Walker’s issues appear more serious than that.

Smith is the guy that scares me the most. It is unclear what caused him to coldcock teammate Ken Lucas on the sideline of the Panthers’ practice field recently, but he’s had repeated sideline tantrums during his seven-year-plus Panthers career. He was so enraged at Lucas that head coach John Fox was unable to separate the two, and LB Jon Beason had to literally pull Smith off Lucas. The two-game suspension Smith has been given is not his first for fighting with teammates. In 2002, Smith was suspended for one game for punching teammate Anthony Bright during a film session, and he was forced to undergo anger management classes. It would appear he didn’t learn much.
Chris Henry is a remarkable talent whose NFL career is most likely over following his latest run-in with the law, and Jones appeared to be a “dead man walking” until teammate Reggie Williams went down recently with a knee injury. On Marshall, the jury is still very much out, and the list by no means stops here.

I can’t think of a single reasonable explanation as to why nearly all of the NFL’s wildest wackos play wideout. But I can confirm that it has gone way beyond trend to epidemic. Consider: Is the reason that not one wide receiver was chosen in the first round of the 2008 draft — and Houston’s Donnie Avery was the first receiver taken in the second round despite clearly not being the best talent — just because the talent wasn’t there? Or was it because clear first-round talents like Devin Thomas, James Hardy, Mario Manningham and others came into the draft with as many questions about what goes on in their heads as in their hands?

Only this much is sure. If you’re thinking about looking for work coaching receivers in the NFL these days, you should consider at least a minor in psychology, if not getting your Ph.D. first.

On an unrelated subject, I want to thank my fellow members of the Pro Football Writers of America for restoring my faith in the belief that good things do, in fact, happen to good people. On Aug. 1, ESPN.com’s Len Pasquarelli was honored by the PFWA with the McCann Award for distinguished service to the NFL and our industry at the Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio. We may be competitors now, but we grew up in the business together, and Lenny is not only one of the best sportswriters ever, he’s a much better person. Good going, buddy; we couldn’t be prouder of or happier for you!