PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs #2 WR Solution

Shox
07-31-2008, 03:25 PM
Fact #1 Chiefs need a #2 WR and I'm not sure anybody currently on the roster is the answer.
Fact #2 King Carl & Co are cheap.

Solution:

Sign Chris Henry.

Before you go crazy think about it. The NFL commish annouced today he is suspended for 4 games. He can sign a deal and participate in training camp. So he can learn the offense and then return after game 4.

He has a ton of talent.....much more than anybody else we have. He really only has one more chance in the NFL, so he may very well clean up his act. Give him a minimum salary contract with some incentives. If he has matured you get a very promising WR. If he doesn't what have the Chiefs lost. Zippo, notta, nothing.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.

J Diddy
07-31-2008, 03:27 PM
Fact #1 Chiefs need a #2 WR and I'm not sure anybody currently on the roster is the answer.
Fact #2 King Carl & Co are cheap.

Solution:

Sign Chris Henry.

Before you go crazy think about it. The NFL commish annouced today he is suspended for 4 games. He can sign a deal and participate in training camp. So he can learn the offense and then return after game 4.

He has a ton of talent.....much more than anybody else we have. He really only has one more chance in the NFL, so he may very well clean up his act. Give him a minimum salary contract with some incentives. If he has matured you get a very promising WR. If he doesn't what have the Chiefs lost. Zippo, notta, nothing.

Now tell me why I'm wrong.
I thought they were gonna start punishing the teams for their players misconduct, oh and that little thing called team chemistry

Mr. Arrowhead
07-31-2008, 03:28 PM
uhh no thanks, we arent going to the playoffs anyway, might as well so what we got with the young guys

Shox
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Losing is really good for team chemistry. He is only 25 years old. He is a young one.

penguinz
07-31-2008, 03:29 PM
Dumb

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:30 PM
#2? You mean DVD? Hes the real deal! I wouldn't be opposed to Henry though.

Shox
07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
Dumb

Why? Again what is there to lose? Nothing.

BigVE
I don't think Henry is or ever will be smart enough to stay out of trouble. Dude is just not smart. Most people figured he would have learned his lesson the LAST time he got into trouble. Nope. No thanks, although I do see how theoretically he could fill a need and athletically he would be ideal but he is MENTALLY a no go. Call the Raiders...good fit.

Mr. Arrowhead
Why? Again what is there to lose? Nothing.
yea there is, called "CANCER"

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
He could go to the Dolphins with Quincy Carter and Ricky Williams.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:32 PM
This has come up at other positions as well, and frankly, it's retarded.

"Player A is a much better option/has more talent than anyone we have at said position."

Really?

How exactly do you KNOW that, considering the Chiefs players in question haven't PLAYED?

Hell, Dwayne Bowe was our THIRD option going into Houston last year. He ended up being our best receiver.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:34 PM
Well I think Chris Henry is about as talented as any receiver in the league, he's just dumb. That's one of those ones if you think it's worth it or not, if a team ever did turn him around he'd be a legit #1.

Fish
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
Hell no.

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:35 PM
I say hes worth the risk.

kepp
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Bowe, DVD & Franklin - I think that lineup will become good.

CrazyPhuD
07-31-2008, 03:38 PM
Talent + brains = pro bowler

No Talent + brains = over achieving backup

Talent + no brains = jail

No talent + no brains = 100MPH motorcycle rides

Now which bucket does henry fit in?

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:39 PM

Asking Darling to be good is a bit much.....

In fairness here Chris Henry rivals Bowe in natural talent.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM

I think that in time, they'll become a good trio.

Not worth Franklin seeing a decreased role and slower development over a guy that can't stay out of jail for more than 6 months at a time.

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:40 PM
What if Bowe, Gonzo, Herm, ect. are good role models for him and he can turn his life around here? Also hes hurting for money, thats got to be a little motivation for him.

Consistent1
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM

Where do you buy your stuff man? It has to be good.

Shox
07-31-2008, 03:41 PM

I certainly hope your right. The Bowe part sure....DVD/Franklin. Hmmmmm, maybe not.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:42 PM
Darling is nothing more than a 1 year bandaid.....

If you want to have hope for Franklin great but there is 0 here preventing the Chiefs from getting another WR, they actually need one.

cardken
07-31-2008, 03:43 PM
I.E. :Bam Morris, Lawrence Phillips. While agree with the potential on paper of signing Henry, probably a bad move. I'm conflicted with this point of view I,'m feeling a bit hypocritical, as I get tired of the Chiefs fan base in general turning up there noses to anybody with a past. It's as if the Chiefs are idealistic about having a "chior boy" roster and then winning the Super Bowl, as if Good always defeats the bad mentality.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:44 PM
Eh Lawrence Phillips wasn't even a productive NFL player....

If Herm is who he says he is then a player like Henry should be right up his alley.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:45 PM
I.E. :Bam Morris, Lawrence Phillips. While agree with the potential on paper of signing Henry, probably a bad move. I'm conflicted with this point of view I,'m feeling a bit hypocritical, as I get tired of the Chiefs fan base in general turning up there noses to anybody with a past. It's as if the Chiefs are idealistic about having a "chior boy" roster and then winning the Super Bowl, as if Good always defeats the bad mentality.

If he just had a few issues, it'd be one thing, IMO.

The guy has a rap sheet that reads like a Tom Clancy novel.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:47 PM
He has issues for sure, but I don't really see the issue in taking a shot when you're the Chiefs, he won't ruin your playoff team.

You have a guy like Herm who is suppose to be good at this kinda thing, you turn him around you just stole yourself a top flight WR, he doesn't you cut him and that's that.

BigVE
07-31-2008, 03:48 PM
If Herm is who he says he is then a player like Henry should be right up his alley.

I know he is not the best judge of character but I do think Chad Johnson would know TALENT when he sees it. I remember a reporter telling CJ about the bungals cutting Henry and he was surprised/pissed/disappointed. IIRC he made a statement about how hard it is to find WR's with Henry's skills...size/speed/good hands. I agree with the part about his talent. Maybe Herm could work his magic on the kid.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:49 PM
I know he is not the best judge of character but I do think Chad Johnson would know TALENT when he sees it. I remember a reporter telling CJ about the bungals cutting Henry and he was surprised/pissed/disappointed. IIRC he made a statement about how hard it is to find WR's with Henry's skills...size/speed/good hands. I agree with the part about his talent. Maybe Herm could work his magic on the kid.

Henry is probably more naturally gifted than Chad Johnson is, pure talent like Henry posses is very rare, that's why I say take the shot and see if you can make it work.

We're a bad team if it doesn't work out you cut him and move on, if it does you just struck the lottery.

kepp
07-31-2008, 03:50 PM
I certainly hope your right. The Bowe part sure....DVD/Franklin. Hmmmmm, maybe not.

On the field playing & developing is much better than sitting in jail or suspended or even causing locker room drama.

BigVE
Henry is probably more naturally gifted than Chad Johnson is, pure talent like Henry posses is very rare, that's why I say take the shot and see if you can make it work.

We're a bad team if it doesn't work out you cut him and move on, if it does you just struck the lottery.

CALL HERM NOW....I totally agree.

RustShack
We are a bad team already, I don't think he can hurt the team as much as he could help it. We have a lot of people who would reach out to him and help him out also.

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
We will also have the four games hes suspended to help evaluate Darling and Franklin too.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:51 PM
He has issues for sure, but I don't really see the issue in taking a shot when you're the Chiefs, he won't ruin your playoff team.

You have a guy like Herm who is suppose to be good at this kinda thing, you turn him around you just stole yourself a top flight WR, he doesn't you cut him and that's that.

Why do we have to be a playoff team for Henry to ruin the locker room?

Henry goes against everything Herm stands for: The idea that playing in the league is a privilege, not a right - that you represent your team and "the shield" on AND off the field.

Kinda a moot point IMO anyway, I'm betting he does something to get suspended over AGAIN before Week 4...

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:52 PM
I think some people undevalue WR's, if he was some average guy or some bum I'd say pass, but with his skills, he has all pro level talent.

If you line up Bowe, Henry and Gonzalez as your base 3, Larry Johnson and Brodie Croyle are going to look a million times better, teams would be completely scared of getting burned outside by whatever WR is 1-1.

kepp
07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
We are a bad team already, I don't think he can hurt the team as much as he could help it. We have a lot of people who would reach out to him and help him out also.

http://www.dac.org.kh/images/donor-images/logo-unicef.jpg

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
Why do we have to be a playoff team for Henry to ruin the locker room?

Henry goes against everything Herm stands for: The idea that playing in the league is a privilege, not a right - that you represent your team and "the shield" on AND off the field.

Kinda a moot point IMO anyway, I'm betting he does something to get suspended over AGAIN before Week 4...

That's the point, put him in a different situation than the one in Cincy which is likely nuts and see what happens...it is possible some good influences would change how he acts.

How he's gonna ruin the locker room, he's 1 guy, we aren't the Bengals here...

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:54 PM
I think some people undevalue WR's, if he was some average guy or some bum I'd say pass, but with his skills, he has all pro level talent.

If you line up Bowe, Henry and Gonzalez as your base 3, Larry Johnson and Brodie Croyle are going to look a million times better, teams would be completely scared of getting burned outside by whatever WR is 1-1.

I'm not disagreeing with your premise, but it's all predicated on him STAYING OUT OF TROUBLE, which he's shown he can't seem to do.

Talent means jack shit when it's sitting in a jail cell.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 03:55 PM
And if he gets in trouble you cut him, you bring him in with him knowing this may be his last chance of making it with a good influence like Herm...

Say he ****s up and you cut him, what did you lose? You sit in the same spot you do today, but you gotta buy that ticket to win that lottery.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 03:57 PM
That's the point, put him in a different situation than the one in Cincy which is likely nuts and see what happens...it is possible some good influences would change how he acts.

How he's gonna ruin the locker room, he's 1 guy, we aren't the Bengals here...

If he influences ONE guy, whether it be Bowe, Flowers, Franklin, Richardson - it's not worth it IMO.

The Bengals didn't just one day become thugs...the attitude multiplied through the locker room, and basically took over. Now Lewis has a mutiny on his hands. Is Henry alone capable of that?

Probably not, but he could be the guy who gets the snowball heading downhill.

RustShack
07-31-2008, 03:59 PM
No, the Bengals brought in a bunch of people knowing they were all trouble makers.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:00 PM
The Bengals put a whole bunch of questionable people together and then wondered why they acted that way..

You put 1 questionable guy in a locker room of good people you can make that work.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:03 PM
The Bengals put a whole bunch of questionable people together and then wondered why they acted that way..

You put 1 questionable guy in a locker room of good people you can make that work.

See, that's the thing.

Our locker room isn't exactly a bunch of choir boys. There are guys who have had issues in the past, and all you can do is hope they stay on the straight and narrow.

Flowers and Richardson come to mind as rookies. Bring in a guy like Henry and he rubs off on guys like that with questionable pasts.

Again, JMO. If they brought him in, I wouldn't be pissed, but I'd prefer they go with what they have.

You make a good case for Henry, I just don't necessarily agree with it. Agree to disagree.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:04 PM
Who on the Chiefs has a questionable past.....

Tyler had a few issues going into his draft, and the Flowers stuff was completely blown out of proportion.

RustShack
07-31-2008, 04:05 PM
It really just depends on who he hangs out with in Kansas City. I'm sure our good guys would be the first to reach out to him and help him along though.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:07 PM
I just think you have to take chances to win at times, when you could get a WR who is equal to a top 5 pick talent I think you have to take that risk, it's like buying a lottery ticket.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:08 PM
I just think you have to take chances to win at times, when you could get a WR who is equal to a top 5 pick talent I think you have to take that risk, it's like buying a lottery ticket.

Which is why I don't play the lottery.

The chances of winning are slim-to-none.

I'd be all for it if he didn't have such a troubled past. But at some point you have to expect some personal responsibility from the guy, and not blame the culture of the Bengals organization as the sole culprit.

Bwana
07-31-2008, 04:09 PM
Pass

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:11 PM
Which is why I don't play the lottery.

The chances of winning are slim-to-none.

I'd be all for it if he didn't have such a troubled past. But at some point you have to expect some personal responsibility from the guy, and not blame the culture of the Bengals organization as the sole culprit.

I'm going to guess you hate the Cowboys then seeing some of the chances they've taken to win, some have worked some haven't but atleast they try.

Valiant
07-31-2008, 04:15 PM
This is hard, because he can be great..

But...

He just got suspended again for four games.. The guy is just a head case, how many arrests before he sees he is an idiot or out of the league for good???

IF, and this is a big IF.. He signed for the vet minimum for three years.. If he comes in, performs and stays away from jail then give him more money..

Or... Sign him for three years at vet minimum and have escalator clauses each year if he has 80+ receptions, 1000+ yards or makes the probowl..

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm going to guess you hate the Cowboys then seeing some of the chances they've taken to win, some have worked some haven't but atleast they try.

Hold on.

I agree 100% with taking chances at times.

But you have to play the odds. The odds are poor that Henry gets his shit together. Hell, right now, it looks like the odds are poor that he even gets another chance to play.

With the exception of Adam Jones, they guys the Cowboys have picked up have been choir boys compared to Henry.

T.O. has never been in trouble with the law - just an outspoken guy who wants to win. T.O. is a competitor, I don't see that in Henry. I see a guy who has the talent to be special, but doesn't have the smarts or the work ethic to make the most of it.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:19 PM
I don't remotely think TO is a bad guy....

I was more referencing the 90s Cowboys and the Pacman move.

I'd generally say no but it's hard for me to not wanna give a guy with Henrys talent a look, the reason to me he's worth the shot is the upside. If he turns it around he isn't an average WR he's possibly better than Bowe.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't remotely think TO is a bad guy....

I was more referencing the 90s Cowboys and the Pacman move.

I'd generally say no but it's hard for me to not wanna give a guy with Henrys talent a look, the reason to me he's worth the shot is the upside. If he turns it around he isn't an average WR he's possibly better than Bowe.

I don't either, but for some dumbass reason, a lot of people do.

Rain Man
07-31-2008, 04:25 PM
Or hey, when does Rae Carruth get out?

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
I don't either, but for some dumbass reason, a lot of people do.

Because he runs his mouth, alot of fans are middle aged white people like my dad who do nothing but bitch about how much money the guys make and think they should all shutup, and act like robots.

Only in football is having a personality a bad thing to people.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:26 PM
Or hey, when does Rae Carruth get out?

LMAO

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 04:28 PM
Because he runs his mouth, alot of fans are middle aged white people like my dad who do nothing but bitch about how much money the guys make and think they should all shutup, and act like robots.

Only in football is having a personality a bad thing to people.

True.

You should come to the Bash, dude. These conversations would be much more entertaining in person over a few adult beverages.

Direckshun
07-31-2008, 04:42 PM
Didn't I get hammered to shit for suggesting this exact same thing a couple months ago?

Survey says...

Direckshun
07-31-2008, 04:50 PM
Didn't I get hammered to shit for suggesting this exact same thing a couple months ago?

Survey says...
...Yup. (http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=184481&highlight=henry)

Mecca
07-31-2008, 04:55 PM
Atleast I have the same argument....consistency.