PDA

View Full Version : Football Ex-Chief Allen feeling good in Vikings purple

Kerberos
07-31-2008, 05:32 PM
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/073108/spo_20080731363.shtml

By JON KRAWCZYNSKI
AP Sports Writer

MANKATO, Minn. (AP) -- With a Paul Bunyanesque beard and a gregarious personality just as large as the mythical lumberjack said to have once roamed these parts, Jared Allen is feeling right at home in Minnesota.

The defensive end has traded Chiefs red for Vikings purple, and a whole lot of green, and the NFL's reigning sacks champ has been giddy in his first training camp at Minnesota State, Mankato.
"There is definitely a new level of excitement just because I am at a place where I really want to be," Allen said.

That's more than can be said for the end of last season, when Allen clashed with Kansas City GM Carl Peterson and practically begged the Chiefs to trade him.

His wish came true in April, when the Vikings sent the Chiefs a first-rounder, two thirds and agreed to swap sixth-round picks so they could put one of the league's premier pass rushers next to the best tackle tandem in the game.

"What had to be done, had to be done," Allen said Wednesday, a day before his new team heads to River Falls, Wis., for a joint practice with his old team. "I don't agree with the way he handled it. He doesn't agree with the way I handled it. But I'm not going to sit here, I'm not going to hold a grudge over it or anything. But I've got nothing to talk to the guy about."

Allen spent his first four years with the Chiefs and his 43 sacks in that span is second in the league only to Jason Taylor's 46.

"It doesn't bother me. I have a lot of buddies there still," Allen said. "Just another stepping stone at camp. That's over and done with in my book. I'm a Minnesota Viking. I couldn't be happier and my focus is on this organization."

Getting out of rebuilding Kansas City and playing next to Pat and Kevin Williams on a team considered a contender in the NFC weren't the only perks in the deal for Allen. He signed a six-year contract that could pay him as much as $74 million and includes $31 million in guaranteed money, making him the highest-paid defensive player in the league.

"I'm a happier guy now," said Allen, his omnipresent smile hidden by a bushy beard he vowed not to shave until camp is over. "I'm in a better organization. I'm in a better spot. Nothing against Kansas City as an organization, I just think my fit's better in Minnesota."

Some said the Vikings took a risk by giving all that money to Allen, who was suspended for two games last season after two DWI convictions. But Allen says he has given up drinking, and Peterson's assessment of the 26-year-old as "a young man at risk" is what fractured the relationship beyond repair.

"He knew what I went through to get to where I'm at today," Allen said. "To me it just shows the true character of people. I've always been up front and honest with everybody and I didn't feel the same was returned to me. That's wherein lies the problem."

Giving up alcohol appears to be about the only change in his thrill-seeking, wild boar-hunting, joke-cracking lifestyle.

"I'm not good-looking, so they didn't bring me here to be the model of the franchise," Allen cracked when asked what his role would be on his new team. "They brought me here to produce and produce wins, and to work with my teammates to make myself better and make them better."

The Vikings have ranked near the bottom of the league in pass defense for most of this decade in large part because they have been unable to find an edge rusher to put consistent pressure on opposing quarterbacks.

"He's a guy that led the league in sacks, so that's what we're looking for him to do here, come off the edge and continue to get sacks," Kevin Williams said. "And we're going to continue to stop the run."

That hasn't been a problem lately for the Vikings, who allowed just 985 yards rushing last season, the second fewest since the AFL-NFL merger in 1970.

Now it appears they have some sizzle on the edge to go with the steak in the middle, which could be a potent combination if things go according to plan.

"We couldn't have got a better, higher-paid guy in here," defensive end Ray Edwards quipped, a telling jab that shows just how quickly Allen has become one of the guys here. "He's definitely a great guy, though. I definitely like having him around. He keeps me laughing."

Allen was just as popular with the Chiefs, who look forward to seeing him again.

"The players on this team have a lot of respect and love for Jared," Kansas City Pro Bowl guard Brian Waters said. "We wanted the best for him. We thought he deserved the contract he got. We all realize it's a business and sometimes people move on. We're proud of Jared and happy for him."

If he crosses paths with Peterson on Thursday, "I'll just walk away," Allen said. Other than the general manager, Allen can't wait to see coach Herm Edwards and the rest of his buddies.

"I've got a lot of good friends over there, all the coaching staff," Allen said. "I've never had hard feelings against them. Like I say, it was a business decision. They did what they felt they had to do and I did what I felt I had to do and I think I got the better deal out of it."

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2008, 05:35 PM
If he crosses paths with Peterson on Thursday, "I'll just walk away," Allen said. Other than the general manager, Allen can't wait to see coach Herm Edwards and the rest of his buddies.

Wow, way to act like an adult, Jared.

L.A. Chieffan
07-31-2008, 05:37 PM
Goat, get this guy hammered at the bar dude. Buy the first 3 rounds.

JuicesFlowing
07-31-2008, 05:39 PM
I'm always glad when people who don't want to be in Kansas City are shipped out ... I don't miss him anymore.

The Franchise
07-31-2008, 05:41 PM
"There is definitely a new level of excitement just because I am at a place where I really want to be," Allen said.
"I'm in a better organization. I'm in a better spot. Nothing against Kansas City as an organization, I just think my fit's better in Minnesota."

Kiss my ass Allen.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2008, 05:45 PM
"I'm in a better organization. I'm in a better spot. Nothing against Kansas City as an organization, I just think my fit's better in Minnesota."

Translation: I got PAID B*tches, and thats all that matters.

Hopefully fans dont take this personal. Its all about gettin PAID in the NFL.

LiL stumppy
07-31-2008, 05:47 PM
I don't understand why everyone all of a sudden hates JA. He was a great player for us and a fan favorite. But since he got traded (not entirely his fault) everyone can't stand him. Yea he may have said a thing or two about being happy he out of KC and all that, but who wouldn't? He got away from a horrid GM and is getting paid a lot of $$$. Doesn't make since to me.

Mama Hip Rockets
Wow, way to act like an adult, Jared.

that's probably a better reaction than most people on this forum would have if they saw carl peterson.

purple is gay, by the way.

kcxiv
If people want to recognize it or not, he's in a better place and right now a better organization until Carl Peterson gets the **** out. Carl drops your organization a little bit, by disrespecting players. He already did the same with Glenn Dorsey.

kstater
07-31-2008, 05:48 PM
I don't understand why everyone all of a sudden hates JA. He was a great player for us and a fan favorite. But since he got traded (not entirely his fault) everyone can't stand him. Yea he may have said a thing or two about being happy he out of KC and all that, but who wouldn't? He got away from a horrid GM and is getting paid a lot of $$$. Doesn't make since to me.

Sense he was traded, we have the common since to see him for what he's worth. Make sence?

Kerberos
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/stories/073108/spo_20080731363.shtml
Getting out of rebuilding Kansas City and playing next to Pat and Kevin Williams on a team considered a contender in the NFC weren't the only perks in the deal for Allen. He signed a six-year contract that could pay him as much as $74 million and includes $31 million in guaranteed money, making him the highest-paid defensive player in the league

Lets face it folks.... Carl would NEVER GIVE ANYONE this amount of gauranteed cash. PERIOD (especially someone he doesn't like)

Hey Jared......Buh Bye

Mama Hip Rockets
07-31-2008, 05:50 PM
Sense he was traded, we have the common since to see him for what he's worth. Make sence?

i hope the three combined incorrect spellings of sense and since were intentional there.

kstater
07-31-2008, 05:51 PM
i hope the three combined incorrect spellings of sense and since were intentional there.

Eye wuddent theenk about it.

Rain Man
07-31-2008, 05:53 PM
that's probably a better reaction than most people on this forum would have if they saw carl peterson.

I think I would treat him better than I would John Elway, but worse than I would treat Jamarcus Russell.

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 06:00 PM
Please let minnesota suck ass, allen knows how to say all the right things huh

Sure-Oz
07-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Great player for us, but whatever if he isn't a part of the chiefs, i do wish him well, but otherwise, cya!

blueballs
07-31-2008, 06:02 PM
the stupid **** just bought a boat

Skip Towne
07-31-2008, 06:06 PM

Didn't you see his user name? That says it all.

StcChief
07-31-2008, 06:08 PM
Good luck Jared, blow out your knee

LiL stumppy
07-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Great player for us, but whatever if he isn't a part of the chiefs, i do wish him well, but otherwise, cya!

I understand that but it seems to me that people think he ruining our whole franchise and caused a lot of problems when he didn't. And it wasn't even his fault he got traded. I hope the vikings suck, and I will probably never look at JA stats again, but I do respect what he has done for us.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2008, 06:38 PM
And it wasn't even his fault he got traded.

Maybe if he could have stayed sober or stayed off the roads, he might still be a Chief??

Al Czervik
07-31-2008, 06:43 PM
Maybe if he could have stayed sober of stayed off the roads, he might still be a Chief??

Bingo!!!

I love how JE is such a victim here....

Turning into a whiny lil bitch...

Kerberos
07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
I understand that but it seems to me that people think he ruining our whole franchise and caused a lot of problems when he didn't. And it wasn't even his fault he got traded. I hope the vikings suck, and I will probably never look at JA stats again, but I do respect what he has done for us.

Maybe if he could have stayed sober of stayed off the roads, he might still be a Chief??

QFMFT

It IS his fault he got traded (Not that $31M can't dull any pain)

LiL stumppy
07-31-2008, 06:51 PM
Not getting something I was promised would drive me to drinking too :)

Kerberos
08-01-2008, 06:39 AM
Not getting something I was promised would drive me to drinking too :)

What do you bet he starts drinking NOW that he does have what he was promised? :hmmm:

SBK
08-01-2008, 06:48 AM
He would be a Chief still if he wasn't a drunk. He tried to make this about the King, and not about the drunk. This is why people here do not like him.

I hope he has a great year, and a great career. And if he thinks he'll win a Super Bowl in Minnesota LMAO.

BigChiefFan
08-01-2008, 07:08 AM
Looks like a bunch of sour grapes.

Jared Allen didn't do anything worse this past year, than any other superstar trying to get paid. The man played like a Pro Bowler and should be paid like it.

Kerberos
08-01-2008, 08:13 AM
Looks like a bunch of sour grapes.

Jared Allen didn't do anything worse this past year, than any other superstar trying to get paid. The man played like a Pro Bowler and should be paid like it.

And he did........ Just not by us. Carl was NEVER gonna give him that kind of payday here. He had no other choice but to move on if he wanted what he got. Shows how much of this is a business and where the priorities reside.

R&GHomer
08-01-2008, 08:16 AM

Kiss my ass Allen.

Yeah, that statement pissed me off also. Allen owes everything to the Chiefs and that includes Peterson. They gave him his chance and he made the best of it. Why not just say, hey we had some disagreements and it was time to move on. Dragging out all the other shit is just bad form. IMHO

Al Bundy
08-01-2008, 09:45 AM
Problem for Allen and Chiefs fans is he is in a better organization as long as Carl Peterson has any say whatsoever within the Chiefs.

redbrian
08-01-2008, 10:01 AM
frig the basterd......he stiffed me on a $20,000 camera and security system at his friggen club....that folded up like the cheap suitcase he packed to get the hell out of town with.....fu*&er.....

Ebolapox
08-01-2008, 11:31 AM
hey jared- drinks on me!