PDA

View Full Version : Football Titans cut Mike Williams

RealSNR
07-31-2008, 07:06 PM
For all you geniouses who realize how good he was in college and what he could do in the NFL. Wait... wait... don't tell me, let me guess

He has more talent than any of our receivers and just needs an attitude adjustment and needs to focus. We need to bring him in for a look and if it doesn't work out, what's the harm? Right? Am I right? :whackit:

Jewish Rabbi
07-31-2008, 07:07 PM
For all you geniouses who realize how good he was in college and what he could do in the NFL. Wait... wait... don't tell me, let me guess

He has more talent than any of our receivers and just needs an attitude adjustment and needs to focus. We need to bring him in for a look and if it doesn't work out, what's the harm? Right? Am I right? :whackit:
Not if it costs Will Franklin a roster spot...

blueballs
07-31-2008, 07:08 PM
Vince Young
Kerry Collins
you do have to feel for the poor bastard

chiefs1111
07-31-2008, 07:44 PM

No,I think his days in the NFL are all but over. Maybe he will get picked up by a CFL team or something...

Mecca
07-31-2008, 07:46 PM
If he'd come in and be a 3rd TE, I think he has some value at that.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
07-31-2008, 07:48 PM
Mike Williams probably still would have been a bust, but I always wondered what would have transpired had he been allowed to return to USC for his junior season instead of getting fat.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
Mike Williams probably still would have been a bust, but I always wondered what would have transpired had he been allowed to return to USC for his junior season instead of getting fat.

I'm not sure how much it would have helped, Mike is a really nice guy and all that he just isn't naturally fast enough to play WR in the NFL. I think even most SC fans and Pete Carroll would have said that if they were being honest.

Great college player because he could use his size and strength to bully defensive backs, in the NFL it doesn't work.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
07-31-2008, 07:58 PM
I'm not sure how much it would have helped, Mike is a really nice guy and all that he just isn't naturally fast enough to play WR in the NFL. I think even most SC fans and Pete Carroll would have said that if they were being honest.

Great college player because he could use his size and strength to bully defensive backs, in the NFL it doesn't work.

Is it me or did it seem like he was a more explosive receiver when he was a freshman in 2003?

Mecca
07-31-2008, 08:08 PM
Is it me or did it seem like he was a more explosive receiver when he was a freshman in 2003?

I don't think I'd ever call him explosive, he made plays because he was so much bigger and more physical than anything college corners had likely ever seen.

There's a highlight from the Rose Bowl against Michigan a few years back where the corner comes up to him on the line and Williams plants him on his ass and continues on with his route.

He's about size and physical bullying the guy defending him more than anything, If you could get him to weigh about 250 and play some TE I think he could be a very good receiver out of that.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 09:53 PM
Here's some more about it.....

Third time's a...down the drain. That's the only real way to describe it. Mike Williams was cut today from his third team in as many years. Not the career you might expect from the tenth overall pick in 2005. Although the star USC receiver dropped thirty pounds (down 242 from 272) and demonstrated some improvement in practice, he just couldn't make the cut. Titans coach Jeff Fisher announced Williams' drop from the team earlier today:

I just wasn't seeing the production and when you get in a situation where you don't see the production and you have a young group of receivers that are emerging, I felt like it was in the best interest to let him go at this point. Hopefully Mike can hook on someplace else...[Williams] still has potential, hopefully he'll realize it someplace else.

I don't know if anyone can really be surprised by this news. After attending USC at the same time as Williams, I have been hopeful that his pro-career would mirror his collegiate success. But now it seems that his greatest accomplishments are fading further and further behind him. So you Trojan faithful, let's just pretend Williams declared for the '04 draft and disappeared into the sunset. Let's remember him for the 2002 Pac-10 Freshman of the Year award, the 2003 Consensus First-team All-American and the CBS National Player of the Year. Let's remember him for the last game he ever played, the 2004 Rosebowl victory over Michigan and the AP national championship.

When you look at this, you can see what made him a great college player..

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6m0tatzaC68&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6m0tatzaC68&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

But how many NFL corners are you gonna do that to?

Ultra Peanut
07-31-2008, 10:10 PM
Although the star USC receiver dropped thirty pounds (down 242 from 272)CHRIST.

Deberg_1990
07-31-2008, 10:12 PM
Good Lord, this guy was huge for a WR.

Mecca
07-31-2008, 10:13 PM
He's huge even if he's at a good weight for him..240 is only 15lbs lighter than Tony Gonzalez.

If a team could sign him and convince him to stay at about 245-250 and play some TE I think he could be a real solid receiving weapon doing that.

markk
07-31-2008, 10:53 PM
272?

Hey Mike, LenDale White says you're a fatass

Mr. Flopnuts
07-31-2008, 10:54 PM
I just hit reply so I haven't read this thread. Not even the OP. That being said, NO!!!

HolmeZz
07-31-2008, 11:30 PM

He was pretty much always a possession guy. The really striking thing that happened with him going from college to the pros was that his hands turned to bricks. I'm not sure how to explain that.

chiefscafan
07-31-2008, 11:56 PM
I can admit when I'm wrong I was wrong about mike williams really thought he'd be special man was I wrong.

chagrin
07-31-2008, 11:58 PM
I think even most SC fans and Pete Carroll would have said that if they were being honest.

yeah, that'll happen...can you say Dewayne Jarrett??

Ugly Duck
08-01-2008, 12:14 AM
He's a BEAST!!

You guys should pick him up. Really!

jspchief
08-01-2008, 02:20 PM
I seem to remember people saying way back when he was drafted that he wasn't good for anything but TE.

I also seem to remember someone saying he was the next Keyshawn.

Bowser
08-01-2008, 04:05 PM
He's a BEAST!!

You guys should pick him up. Really!

Obviously, nobody told him that wide receivers aren't supposed to go calorie-for-calorie with the offensive linemen.

The Franchise
08-01-2008, 04:41 PM
He's huge even if he's at a good weight for him..240 is only 15lbs lighter than Tony Gonzalez.

If a team could sign him and convince him to stay at about 245-250 and play some TE I think he could be a real solid receiving weapon doing that.

If he's smart he'll look at doing that.

SAUTO
08-01-2008, 05:10 PM
isnt he a tight end now?