PDA

View Full Version : Football Favre reinstated, will fly to Green Bay

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2008, 10:51 AM
HATTIESBURG, Miss. -- NFL commissioner Roger Goodell reinstated Brett Favre on Sunday, the three-time MVP told ESPN's Ed Werder.

Favre was prepared Sunday to fly to Green Bay, he said.

ESPN's Wendi Nix reported Favre's plane was scheduled to touch down at 6:30 ET, though he didn't plan to attend the sold-out Packers Family Night at Lambeau Field, which more than 60,000 fans were expected to attend.

Packers officials planned to greet Favre upon his arrival to Green Bay.

The NFL office is officially closed on Sunday, so the reinstatement will become official Monday.

Favre was expected to report to training camp Monday by 1 p.m. ET, when the Packers say they will be prepared to make a roster move. It could be to add him, trade him or usher him back into retirement if they complete negotiations on a deal.

Their potential marketing agreement, worth a reported $25 million over 10 years, could end Favre's bid to return just months after retiring.

There had been indications Favre was wavering on the offer. A source close to the negotiations told Werder on Saturday that Favre has developed misgivings about the proposed deal because it fails to accomplish his primary objective in deciding to unretire -- namely, it would not put him back on the football field.

Also on Saturday, Goodell said he hoped the situation would be resolved by Monday, by which team and league sources told ESPN's Wendi Nix that he was expected to act on the reinstatement.

Goodell visited the Cincinnati Bengals' training camp on Saturday before heading north to Canton, Ohio, for the weekend's Pro Football Hall of Fame induction ceremonies.

The Packers hold Favre's rights until his current contract expires after the 2010 season. Tensions have built between Favre and the team over the past several weeks.

Packers coach Mike McCarthy again praised his players for not allowing the Favre situation to distract them.

"What's going on between Brett and the organization is something that the players and coaches, we cannot handle," McCarthy said Saturday. "We're not involved in it. I think they did a good job from a responsibility standpoint dealing with it for about two days, but the focus has been on improving."

Earlier this week, Favre sent a letter to Goodell requesting to be reinstated from the team's reserve/retired list. But Goodell has held off approving the request, hoping the two sides could resolve their differences.

"Primarily, it starts with the fact, does Brett want to play football?" Goodell said. "The second is, do the Packers want him to play for the Packers. Those are the two principal points that have to be resolved. And only two parties can make that determination, not me."

Goodell said both parties are being "reasonable."

"They're difficult, emotional issues," Goodell said. "They're important to the future of both of them."

Ultra Peanut
08-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Aaron Rodgers is going to kill someone before this is over.

Bwana
08-03-2008, 10:59 AM
Oh goodie!

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2008, 11:00 AM
If they force him to ride the pine this year I will be pissed. They should trade him or release him. The situation will only get messier and messier if they make him sit on the bench. They're going to have to trade him. Heck, the second Rodgers throws a pick, you'll hear, "Favre, Favre, Favre!!!" Cut your losses and trade him or release him, take the punches.

luv
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
ESPN keeps referring to it as the "Brett Favre Watch". :rolleyes:

I'm sick of hearing about it already. Just let me know when we find out if he's playing or not, and, if so, who he's playing for.

DeezNutz
08-03-2008, 11:04 AM
Doesn't Favre have a terrible record in the Dome in Minnesota?

Trade his ass. Rape them on the deal and move on. GB shouldn't worry about what anyone else is doing and should focus on improving their own team as much as possible. Demand a 1st rounder from MN or CHI and be happy as hell if you get it.

TinyEvel
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
This is kinda odd. He's the cover athlete for Madden '09. I saw the poster in the window the other day and it made me wonder if he'll be in the game or not, and now if he comes back as another team, that will be even more odd.

DeezNutz
08-03-2008, 11:11 AM
This is kinda odd. He's the cover athlete for Madden '09. I saw the poster in the window the other day and it made me wonder if he'll be in the game or not, and now if he comes back as another team, that will be even more odd.

Will the Madden jinx still be effective, then?

Skip Towne
08-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Doesn't Favre have a terrible record in the Dome in Minnesota?

Trade his ass. Rape them on the deal and move on. GB shouldn't worry about what anyone else is doing and should focus on improving their own team as much as possible. Demand a 1st rounder from MN or CHI and be happy as hell if you get it.

I agree. He's not going to do them $20 mil worth of damage. Trade him.

Hydrae
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
Will the Madden jinx still be effective, then?

That was my thought when I saw the posters for Madden. Favre should stay away this year, he is just going to get injured. ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
08-03-2008, 11:16 AM
I agree. He's not going to do them $20 mil worth of damage. Trade him.

They're probably keeping him too as a Rodgers insurance policy. They should just trade him. That'll send a message to the teams in their division, the league and Rodgers that they are confident they can win without Favre.

pikesome
08-03-2008, 11:22 AM
They're probably keeping him too as a Rodgers insurance policy. They should just trade him. That'll send a message to the teams in their division, the league and Rodgers that they are confident they can win without Favre.

When/if Rodgers can't cut it the FO will get the Marie Antoinette treatment. I think that's the worry more than Farve beating them.

Or even better, he leads the Vikings to a SB (quite possible) while GB sucks with Rodgers at QB.

08-03-2008, 11:32 AM
Oh the hilarity!!!!!

JuicesFlowing
08-03-2008, 11:42 AM
Let me say once again, why is Green Bay so chickenshit to trade him? Talk about insecurity. They are practically saying "Minnesota will beat us with Favre."

08-03-2008, 11:44 AM
Let me say once again, why is Green Bay so chickenshit to trade him? Talk about insecurity. They are practically saying "Minnesota will beat us with Favre."
Tampa is still a player in this I would imagine.

JuicesFlowing
08-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Tampa is still a player in this I would imagine.

That proves my point even more then. What does GB have to lose by trading him to TB?

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 11:48 AM

Seeing that the Vikes signed wr speedster Berrian and the addition of Allen to an already stout D I don't think there's any practically to it.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 11:50 AM
That proves my point even more then. What does GB have to lose by trading him to TB?

What I heard was that since the 2 teams play one another this year,the Packers may be concerned that Favre beats them the one game they needed to clinch a playoff spot and they do not want that scenario playing out.

chief52
08-03-2008, 12:31 PM
I think they ought to trade him to the highest bidder, whoever that may be. They would be better off than they would be if he just retired. At least they would be getting a reasonably high draft choice for him I would think.

I believe Rogers is going to have a good year. I think he has all the tools and he has had time to learn the system. It is his time. Now if Favre had not waffled...

sparkky
08-03-2008, 12:41 PM
I'm as big a Favre fan as there is this side of Green Bay and I'm sorry to see this turn into a sad, sad circus.

He made the decision to retire and he should have stood by that decision. If he wasn't ready to quit or had doubts he should have waited. The Packers are totally delusional if they think they are a better team with Rogers at QB. I feel pretty confident there isn't a veteran player on the team that thinks they will be better with Rogers starting instead of Favre whether they publicly say it or not. What can they say??

The way it is set up everybody loses. The Packers lose, the fans lose, Favre loses and the players lose. The only winner is the headline hungry media.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 01:12 PM
The way it is set up everybody loses. The Packers lose, the fans lose, Favre loses and the players lose. The only winner is the headline hungry media.

I think one could make an argument that the rest of the NFC North wins as well

StcChief
08-03-2008, 04:51 PM
Still think he will be in Tampa Bay after the "super cold game in Chicago comment this year" ..... 8 home warm weather games, 2 dome games in ATL/NO warm weather in Carolina for NFC-S....

Plus they were in playoffs and close last year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-03-2008, 05:09 PM
I'd pay $100 to see Rodgers crack his skull with a lead pipe.

Mecca
08-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Favre is gonna be their QB week 1, just like I said and I think most people thought when this first started.

tk13
08-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I don't know, after all this, typical Ewing theory probably dictates that Rodgers is going to do a lot better than people expect. Maybe he'll be fine, but everybody seems to assume that we'll see last year's Favre and not the Farve of the previous 2-3 years. What happens if Favre comes back and bombs? That would be really bad.

Smed1065
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Favre will arrive in Green Bay on Sunday night and is going with the intention of being allowed to compete for the Packers' starting quarterback job, Schefter reports.

Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy released a statement Sunday announcing Favre's return and welcoming him back.

"Sixteen years after Brett Favre came to the Packers, he is returning for a 17th season," Murphy said in the statement. "He has had a great career with our organization and although we built this year around the assumption that Brett meant what he said about retiring, Brett is coming back. We will welcome him back and turn this situation to our advantage."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=8C9D197A4B38D2530D92E0EE39DABA1C?id=09000d5d809b543d&template=with-video&confirm=true

teedubya
08-03-2008, 05:16 PM
Who is this Favor guy?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-03-2008, 05:22 PM
Fearless prediction:

Favre throws more INTs than TDs this year, somewhere around 16 TDs, 26 picks.

Mecca
08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I doubt it, they have a very good team around him, it's probably why they were confident Rodgers would be fine.

chiefs1111
08-03-2008, 05:55 PM
I just hope this ends soon on way or the other....

markk
08-03-2008, 09:15 PM
just when you thought we might see an NFL season without wall to wall coverage of Favre on every channel all the time...

Coach
08-03-2008, 09:27 PM
This does not bode well for Green Bay and Rogers. This totally contradicts Green Bay's saying of that they have moved on without Brett.

I cannot understand why Green Bay just would release him and eat his salary? Who gives a shit if he goes to Minny?

Chiefnj2
08-03-2008, 09:42 PM
Imagine if T. Owens pulled this retirement crap. The media would be doing a 180 right now on the guy.

markk
08-03-2008, 09:55 PM
Packers need to stop worrying about what they think people will think about them.

Mecca
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
This does not bode well for Green Bay and Rogers. This totally contradicts Green Bay's saying of that they have moved on without Brett.

I cannot understand why Green Bay just would release him and eat his salary? Who gives a shit if he goes to Minny?

I wouldn't want to deal with that, I think they all realized something, If Favre were to go to Minny and they finished better than Green Bay or even Green Bay had a bad year thats the kinda shit that gets people fired.

It's a possible bowl team with Favre...

Mecca
08-03-2008, 10:00 PM
Packers need to stop worrying about what they think people will think about them.

They're worried about getting fired....Rodgers getting upset and leaving won't cost them their jobs, Favre leaving, their team tanking and Minnesota surpassing them will.

markk
08-03-2008, 10:03 PM
They're worried about getting fired....Rodgers getting upset and leaving won't cost them their jobs, Favre leaving, their team tanking and Minnesota surpassing them will.

the retarded Favre cult of personality that espn has going is half to blame. the fact that green bay's front office is letting favre bully them around is something else.

if he's such a folk hero to packer fans, why's he dialing up the vikings trying to finagle his way to their team's biggest rival? he obviously isn't all that hardcore packer in his own mind.

Deberg_1990
08-03-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the Pack almost have to go with Favre now. Hes the 100% known commodity and possible NFC champs with him at the helm.

Nobody knows if Rodgers is going to be any good. If Favre sits on the bench that just puts Rodgers in an impossible to win situation.

Nzoner
08-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I think the Pack almost have to go with Favre now.

they were a fg away in OT from the Super Bowl,that my friend is a brilliant deduction :thumb:

Sure-Oz
08-03-2008, 11:44 PM
I love the "open" qb competition...what a joke, i feel bad for Rodgers, i bet he hates Favre now with a passion

GB has bent over in this situation, no lube

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-30-2008, 01:52 AM
Fearless prediction:

Favre throws more INTs than TDs this year, somewhere around 16 TDs, 26 picks.

:hmmm:

If only he had one more week he could have gotten to 26.

12-30-2008, 01:53 AM
Has he retired yet?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-30-2008, 02:05 AM
Aaron Rodgers is going to kill someone before this is over.

ROFL:shake::evil:

MikeMaslowski
12-30-2008, 02:08 AM
So was his season related to the Madden curse?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-30-2008, 02:09 AM
:hmmm:

If only he had one more week he could have gotten to 26.

Where were you hiding out during Herm's presser? It was quite the show. I figured you either weren't around, or succumbing to a Herm-induced aneurysm.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-30-2008, 02:12 AM
Where were you hiding out during Herm's presser? It was quite the show. I figured you either weren't around, or succumbing to a Herm-induced aneurysm.

Traveling, and returning video tapes.

What happened?

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-30-2008, 02:22 AM
Traveling, and returning video tapes.

What happened?

Well, it was really one of those "had to be there" things, but the highlight was Herm being asked how he would grade himself for this season.

He gave himself a "C".:eek:

Sweet Daddy Hate
12-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Well, it was really one of those "had to be there" things, but the highlight was Herm being asked how he would grade himself for this season.

He gave himself a "C".:eek:

So I guess ye' olde "Carl self-evaluation" is still temporarily in the house.