PDA

View Full Version : Poop Ron Prince about to receive extension; rival fans rejoice

Sam Hall
08-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Tom Dienhart
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Rivals.com has learned that Kansas State coach Ron Prince soon will be given a contract extension.

Prince, who turns 39 on Sept. 18, is entering his third season with the Wildcats. He is 12-13 overall and 7-9 in the Big 12 in two seasons since taking over for legendary K-State coach Bill Snyder.

Published reports list Prince's salary at $760,000 per season, making him the lowest-paid coach in the Big 12 and the only coach in the conference making less than $1 million per season.

Last season, K-State was 5-7. The Wildcats finished with a four-game losing streak and placed fourth in the Big 12 North. The Wildcats did beat No. 7 Texas 41-21 in Austin, giving the school its first-ever road win over a top-10 team.

In his debut season as coach in 2006, Prince led the program to its first winning mark since 2003 by forging a 7-6 record that included a bid to the Texas Bowl against Rutgers. The highlight of the season was a 45-42 win over No. 4 Texas, and the Wildcats finished tied for second in the Big 12 North.

In the two seasons before he took over, the Wildcats won a total of nine games.

Kansas State is picked by most to finish near the bottom of the Big 12 North this season.

Prince was Virginia's offensive coordinator for three seasons under Al Groh before becoming coach at Kansas State. For two years before becoming the Cavaliers' coordinator, Prince was Virginia's offensive line coach. He also has been an assistant at Division I-AA schools Cornell, James Madison, South Carolina State and Alabama State.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=834197

Sam Hall
08-05-2008, 10:05 PM
And you thought Bill Callahan's extension was bad. Ron Prince goes through assistant coaches like they're going out of style. The guy is a turd. Iowa State has hope now.

sportsman1
08-05-2008, 10:16 PM
Whoop out the Power Towels. Lmao.

BigRock
08-05-2008, 10:40 PM
I like Ron Prince. What was that game where KSU scored like 2 kick returns, and Prince started doing this power stomp on the sideline with his arms flailing all around.

YOU CAN DO EET

JuicesFlowing
08-06-2008, 01:31 AM
This is a surprise. I thought for sure Prince would be canned after this season.

ChiefsNWildcats
08-06-2008, 05:12 AM
We will see on Prince, he could still pan out. Look no further than Mangino and Pinkel for evidence that things could still turn around. Give the guy a few more years before coming to a conclusion. Those guys at KU and MU ended up being pretty decent.

I'm still on the fence with him. But I do agree with Petro, we gotta have a couple more years to find out about him.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 05:17 AM
How many Juco players did he bring in this year?

tomahawk kid
08-06-2008, 06:45 AM
How many Juco players did he bring in this year?

Around 20-25 I believe.

kepp
08-06-2008, 06:58 AM
This is all part of his scary-smart plan.

alanm
08-06-2008, 07:00 AM
I don't mind him. If Kansas St. thinks he's doing a good job then that's all that matters.

Saulbadguy
08-06-2008, 07:01 AM
KU, MU fans rejoice - Texas fans shit their pants. If the CU fans weren't high right now they'd probably be upset too.

kepp
08-06-2008, 07:01 AM
I don't mind him. If Kansas St. thinks he's doing a good job then that's all that matters.

Yeah, I wish Nebraska would've been more patient with Callahan :p

leviw
08-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Nineteen Jucos. Not all of them qualified, however.

Contract extensions mean little. It shows the university has confidence in its coach, but they can be relatively easy and worthwhile to buyout, if necessary. He's got some work to do this year. It's hard to envision a scenario where he gets more than three wins and loses his job. His legacy will more-less be judged on the success or failure of Josh Freeman.

Ultra Peanut
08-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Well, it's not like Snyder left the cupboard full.

eazyb81
08-06-2008, 08:12 AM
We will see on Prince, he could still pan out. Look no further than Mangino and Pinkel for evidence that things could still turn around. Give the guy a few more years before coming to a conclusion. Those guys at KU and MU ended up being pretty decent.

I'm still on the fence with him. But I do agree with Petro, we gotta have a couple more years to find out about him.

I'd have more faith in him if he didn't recruit so many JUCOs. The whole point of bringing in older players like that is to win now instead of develop young players, so if he's not winning then what's the point of that strategy?

Pinkel and Mangino struggled initially but they also focused on finding raw 18 year olds and coaching them up - that doesn't work as well with JUCOs, and you also get stuck in a cycle of having to constantly recruit more JUCOs to replace the ones that are leaving.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 08:16 AM
I'd have more faith in him if he didn't recruit so many JUCOs. The whole point of bringing in older players like that is to win now instead of develop young players, so if he's not winning then what's the point of that strategy?

Pinkel and Mangino struggled initially but they also focused on finding raw 18 year olds and coaching them up - that doesn't work as well with JUCOs, and you also get stuck in a cycle of having to constantly recruit more JUCOs to replace the ones that are leaving.

That's what I thought. Has any coach "made a living" with that many Jucos?

Sam Hall
08-06-2008, 11:40 AM
A lot of those JUCOs probably aren't as ready as KSU fans hope. Those two or three seasons fly by and they're gone. It's hard to win now with JUCOs. The team has to be built around high school recruits.

Bugeater
08-06-2008, 02:35 PM
I really have no idea what to make of the guy, hell he's already beat Texas more times than Nebraska has since the inception of the Big XII, but then he turns around and gets his ass kicked by an NU team who's having their worst season in 40 years. WTF???

Sam Hall
08-06-2008, 05:00 PM
I really have no idea what to make of the guy, hell he's already beat Texas more times than Nebraska has since the inception of the Big XII, but then he turns around and gets his ass kicked by an NU team who's having their worst season in 40 years. WTF???

The 'cats haven't done jack with their wins against Texas. Their best chances to best Nebraska have past them by.

Here's a stat to keep in mind:

Nebraska 2
Josh Freeman 0

What a devastating loss he was.

WilliamTheIrish
08-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Levi nailed it. Prince is going to get four years regardless. What happens after Prince is now my biggest concern.

Boon
08-06-2008, 06:25 PM
Tom Dienhart
Rivals.com College Football Senior Writer

Rivals.com has learned that Kansas State coach Ron Prince soon will be given a contract extension.

Prince, who turns 39 on Sept. 18, is entering his third season with the Wildcats. He is 12-13 overall and 7-9 in the Big 12 in two seasons since taking over for legendary K-State coach Bill Snyder.

Published reports list Prince's salary at $760,000 per season, making him the lowest-paid coach in the Big 12 and the only coach in the conference making less than $1 million per season.

Last season, K-State was 5-7. The Wildcats finished with a four-game losing streak and placed fourth in the Big 12 North. The Wildcats did beat No. 7 Texas 41-21 in Austin, giving the school its first-ever road win over a top-10 team.

In his debut season as coach in 2006, Prince led the program to its first winning mark since 2003 by forging a 7-6 record that included a bid to the Texas Bowl against Rutgers. The highlight of the season was a 45-42 win over No. 4 Texas, and the Wildcats finished tied for second in the Big 12 North.

In the two seasons before he took over, the Wildcats won a total of nine games.

Kansas State is picked by most to finish near the bottom of the Big 12 North this season.

Prince was Virginia's offensive coordinator for three seasons under Al Groh before becoming coach at Kansas State. For two years before becoming the Cavaliers' coordinator, Prince was Virginia's offensive line coach. He also has been an assistant at Division I-AA schools Cornell, James Madison, South Carolina State and Alabama State.

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=834197

This my friends, calls for a special edition DVD box set!!

Saulbadguy
08-06-2008, 08:11 PM
The 'cats haven't done jack with their wins against Texas. Their best chances to best Nebraska have past them by.

Here's a stat to keep in mind:

Nebraska 2
Josh Freeman 0

What a devastating loss he was.

Who really gives a shit about beating Nebraska at this point? I'd rather beat Texas than Nebraska any day of the week.

Saulbadguy
08-06-2008, 08:12 PM
Levi nailed it. Prince is going to get four years regardless. What happens after Prince is now my biggest concern.
Kraus seems like a competent AD. I like what he's doing.

Skip Towne
08-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Kraus seems like a competent AD. I like what he's doing.

I do too.

Sam Hall
08-06-2008, 10:33 PM
Who really gives a shit about beating Nebraska at this point? I'd rather beat Texas than Nebraska any day of the week.

I severely doubt that.

You should be happy with any conference wins you get this season.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 06:40 AM
I severely doubt that.

Texas is usually ranked in the Top 25, and the last couple of years they were in the top 10 when we beat them. I don't care who it is, but beating a top 10 team > beating an unranked team.

I'm expecting 2, maybe 3 conference wins. Are you still predicting greatness for Nebraska? That worked out well for you last time.

WilliamTheIrish
08-07-2008, 06:47 AM
I severely doubt that.

One of the great aspects of BB's is the archive. So, let's take a little trip back time.

Here is what SammWise had to say about the extension of his favorite coach, Bill Callahan on 09/24/2007.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169185&highlight=Callahan&page=2

I'm happy as well, but for entirely different reasons.

That entire thread is one large LMAO

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 06:53 AM
Texas is usually ranked in the Top 25, and the last couple of years they were in the top 10 when we beat them. I don't care who it is, but beating a top 10 team > beating an unranked team.

I'm expecting 2, maybe 3 conference wins. Are you still predicting greatness for Nebraska? That worked out well for you last time.

All I can see is Iowa State.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:00 AM
All I can see is Iowa State.

It's not like we were terrible last year, the first half of our season went quite well - then we collapsed.

I'm thinking out of Texas A&M, Iowa State, Nebraska, Colorado - we can get 2, maybe 3 wins. Perhaps Ron Prince will have a new bitch in the south since Texas is not on the schedule this year? One can only hope.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 07:03 AM
It's not like we were terrible last year, the first half of our season went quite well - then we collapsed.

I'm thinking out of Texas A&M, Iowa State, Nebraska, Colorado - we can get 2, maybe 3 wins. Perhaps Ron Prince will have a new bitch in the south since Texas is not on the schedule this year? One can only hope.

Well, there are usually some upsets.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 07:07 AM
Well, there are usually some upsets.

That's the fun thing about cheering for a crappy team, you don't get upset, and nearly any team you beat worth a shit is considered an upset.

Sam Hall
08-07-2008, 12:44 PM

KSU hasn't capitalized on those wins against Texas. Nobody cares.

I'm predicting seven or eight wins, one of them against KSU, since KSU couldn't beat perhaps the worst NU head coach of all time. NU will beat KSU with a walk-on and a converted running back starting at linebacker.

Sam Hall
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
One of the great aspects of BB's is the archive. So, let's take a little trip back time.

Here is what SammWise had to say about the extension of his favorite coach, Bill Callahan on 09/24/2007.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=169185&highlight=Callahan&page=2

That entire thread is one large LMAO

I agree. The archives are a great aspect of bulletin boards, especially for people like you, who won't let meaningless things go away.

Try this one. You haven't been around much since this faithful day:

NU 73
'Cats 31

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=174189&highlight=Nebraska+Kansas+State

I'm sure you will scoff at this, but here's how I feel about the former head coach. The thread starter isn't the only thing I wrote to the man.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=171698&highlight=Nebraska+Kansas+State

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
KSU hasn't capitalized on those wins against Texas. Nobody cares.

I'm predicting seven or eight wins, one of them against KSU, since KSU couldn't beat perhaps the worst NU head coach of all time. NU will beat KSU with a walk-on and a converted running back starting at linebacker.

7 or 8 wins, eh? Do you think they will beat Virginia Tech? MU?

Sam Hall
08-07-2008, 01:46 PM
7 or 8 wins, eh? Do you think they will beat Virginia Tech? MU?

I predict wins against Western Michigan, San Jose St., New Mexico St., maybe Virginia Tech, Iowa St., Baylor, maybe Kansas, Kansas St., hopefully Colorado.

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 01:50 PM
I predict wins against Western Michigan, San Jose St., New Mexico St., maybe Virginia Tech, Iowa St., Baylor, maybe Kansas, Kansas St., hopefully Colorado.
Heh - good luck. The Husker faithful are a tad bit more optimistic than you are, which is surprising. Most of what i've been reading is 9/10 wins, challenging Mizzou for the Big XII north crown.

Bugeater
08-07-2008, 01:57 PM
Heh - good luck. The Husker faithful are a tad bit more optimistic than you are, which is surprising. Most of what i've been reading is 9/10 wins, challenging Mizzou for the Big XII north crown.
I'm sure those are the same people who kept insisting that Callahan had the team headed in the right direction.

Sam Hall
08-07-2008, 02:00 PM

Most people I've seen think seven or eight wins are more realistic. Nine or 10 is asking too much. They play five teams ranked in the coaches' top 15.

Sam Hall
08-07-2008, 02:05 PM
Those games I listed as 'maybe' or 'hopefully' are going to be tough.

teedubya
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Suck it, Saul!!!11

Saulbadguy
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
I'm sure those are the same people who kept insisting that Callahan had the team headed in the right direction.

Which, unfortunately for you, is the vast majority.

mikeboogie
10-29-2008, 03:02 PM
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/oct/27/fulmers-future-at-ut-no-word-yet/

Article says Phil Fulmer may be out even after a 6-6 season.

I say Phil Fulmer for Kansas State Football coach in 2009

Saulbadguy
10-29-2008, 06:13 PM
http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2008/oct/27/fulmers-future-at-ut-no-word-yet/

Article says Phil Fulmer may be out even after a 6-6 season.

I say Phil Fulmer for Kansas State Football coach in 2009

That'd be nearly half a ton of football coach when Mangino comes to town!