PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:A day in the life of the QB

InChiefsHeaven
08-06-2008, 05:58 AM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/06/a_day_in_the_quarterbacks_life/

A Day in the Quarterback's Life
Aug 06, 2008, 5:36:32 AM by Bob Gretz - FAQ

RIVER FALLS, WI – Within the same state boundaries where Brodie Croyle toils through training camp practices each day, there’s another starting NFL quarterback who is getting a lot of attention.

You may have heard of him, a guy named Favre.

Croyle watches from his perch here at UW-River Falls, some 250 miles away from Green Bay and can only shake his head over the falderal surrounding No. 4.

“It’s pretty wild,” Croyle said. “But it’s understandable. The guy wants to play.”

Croyle says this after going through his weekly press conference at the University Center. On this day, there were four TV cameras, although one of them belonged to the Chiefs. There was a separate interview with the NFL Network, who just happened to be in town for the day. There were a half-dozen or so other media types around. Nobody took pictures of him leaving the building, or entering the building, or flying in to River Falls on a private jet.

If the Favre situation was a TV show it would be called “As the Favre Turns.”

Croyle is living a movie.

“Just another day in camp,” Croyle said. “Groundhog’s Day.”

That reference is to the movie where every day was the same for TV weatherman Bill Murray was right on the mark. It’s that way even for the starting quarterback.

“It’s camp,” Croyle said. “It’s exciting, it’s boring, it’s grueling, it’s refreshing, but mostly it’s just the same things every day. The same places, same faces. It’s about getting our work done.”

So what’s a day in camp like for the starting quarterback?

Wakeup Call: Croyle is always up around 6:45 a.m., no matter what time morning practice is scheduled. He and camp roommate Dwayne Bowe take turns making sure they are both out the door and not sleeping in. A quick breakfast and off to the locker room to get ready for the morning practice.

A.M. Practice: When camp got started, there were practices when Croyle threw close to 100 passes. But on Tuesday, head coach Herm Edwards cut back on practice time in preparation for the team’s pre-season opener on Thursday against Chicago.

Croyle and the other quarterbacks hit the field at 9:19 a.m. They took snaps from the centers and worked on their drop back mechanics and bootlegs. Then the offense went through a walk-thru, where they went through some of the plays they would use later in the practice. At 9:45 a.m. it was time to stretch and then a warm-up session throwing the ball to the tight ends/running backs/wide receivers. That was about three dozen throws.

When the offensive and defensive units came together for team work, they ran 24 plays and Croyle directed the offense for half of those. He was four of seven throwing the ball, before Edwards blew the whistle ending the short workout.

“That was not a normal practice,” said Croyle after throwing the ball less than 40 times. “But it was good work and we got some things done.

Lunch Time: Croyle hit the cafeteria for lunch and then had his weekly press conference, which always leaves him a bit bemused with some of the questions. There was enough time to go back to the dorm for about 45 minutes, then back for a meeting ahead of the afternoon practice.

P.M. Practice: There was more activity for the starting quarterback in this practice than in the morning work. Same routine: warm-ups, a walk-thru, then team work and some 56 throws on the afternoon. In the teamwork, Croyle was 10-for-10.

After practice, Croyle got treatment from the training staff, while getting in a short weight-room workout.

“Cold tank, hot tank, stuff like that,” Croyle said. “I’m not much of an ice guy (on the shoulder) because I get my power from my lower body, not my arm. So I’m always looking to take care of my legs.”

Dinner Time: He’s back to the University Center for dinner. The highlight for Croyle in camp was the Cajun Night, when they served crawfish. Most players took a few of the mud bugs on their dinner plate; Croyle used the entire cafeteria tray to carry a mountain of crawfish to his table. It was a little touch of Alabama for one night in the northwoods of Wisconsin.

Meeting Time: After dinner, Croyle heads for the meeting room. A little early preparation is followed by a team meeting, then offensive meeting, then quarterbacks meeting. He and the other QBs generally walk out of the meeting room between 10 and 10:15 p.m. By 11 o’clock they have to be in their rooms. Enough time for a beer or two.

“Enough time to stumble back to the room and go to bed,” said Croyle.

The next day, they do it all again. So this is what Brett Favre wants to come back for?

“I’m sure not,” said Croyle. “But it’s what you have to do to get the good stuff.”

Enough time for a beer or two...WTF?? I didn't think they allowed alcohol in Training Camp...

Consistent1
08-06-2008, 06:49 AM
I don't think that Croyle said the thing about the beer. It wouldn't bother me to know that he did anyway.

CoMoChief
08-06-2008, 06:52 AM
A day in the life of Bob Gretz

Wake up
Eat
Shit
Eat
Go to Chiefs training camp
Eat
Eat some more
Lunch
Private meeting with Carl (this lasts a minimum of 4 hours)
Eat
Dinner
Eat some more
One more private meeting with Carl
Bed time
Eat
sleep.

Reerun_KC
08-06-2008, 07:32 AM

Wake up
Eat
Shit
Eat
Eat
Eat some more
Lunch
Take Carl balls Deep (this lasts a minimum of 4 hours)
Eat
Dinner
Eat some more
One more balls deep meeting with Carl
Bed time
Eat
sleep.
FYP:D

Deberg_1990
08-06-2008, 08:01 AM

Wake up
Eat
Shit
Eat
Eat
Eat some more
Lunch
Private meeting with Carl (this lasts a minimum of 4 hours)
Eat
Dinner
Eat some more
One more private meeting with Carl
Bed time
Eat
sleep.

A man who eats that much sh*ts more than once a day im guessing?

InChiefsHeaven
08-06-2008, 08:23 AM
I don't think that Croyle said the thing about the beer. It wouldn't bother me to know that he did anyway.

Me either, I just found it interesting that they would allow him to mention it...give the Jared Allen debacle and the squeaky clean image one would think they would want to project for Brodie...

...hell, I'm glad the dude knocks a few back...

Consistent1
08-06-2008, 08:28 AM
Me either, I just found it interesting that they would allow him to mention it...give the Jared Allen debacle and the squeaky clean image one would think they would want to project for Brodie...

...hell, I'm glad the dude knocks a few back...

Hell, Carl should buy Brodie some weed so he eats a little bit. He could get a little buzz on and really understand those "huntin'" DVDS.

InChiefsHeaven
08-06-2008, 08:48 AM
Hell, Carl should buy Brodie some weed so he eats a little bit. He could get a little buzz on and really understand those "huntin'" DVDS.

Not to mention get the munchies and eat a sammich or 3 to put on some weight...:D

Chief Chief
08-06-2008, 09:00 AM

You forgot to include the entry of "Write Crap"