PDA

View Full Version : Poop Flowers to start, Alberts to miss all preseason barring a 'miracle'

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 07:52 AM

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/737257.html

Flowers expected to start today

Rookie cornerback Brandon Flowers, the Chiefs’ second-round pick, is expected to start at right cornerback.

Coach Herm Edwards said he does not expect Flowers’ start tonight to be an aberration.

“Unless something happens, he’s going to start,” Edwards said. “Every time he plays, he’s going to get better.”

Edwards said Flowers’ top priority is to adjust to the repetition of playing against veteran wideouts. Flowers is expected to play opposite 11-year veteran Patrick Surtain. Edwards has said he expects Flowers to watch and learn from Surtain, a two-time Pro Bowler. Edwards expects plenty out of Flowers, whose education will continue tonight.

“He’s going to have to learn the tricks of the trade on the job,” Edwards said. “Not on the bench, on the job. Every time he plays in a game, he’s going to improve.”

Rookies address injuries

First-round picks Glenn Dorsey and Branden Albert are among six injured players who will not travel with the Chiefs. Dorsey and Albert suffered the injuries last week and have not practiced since.

Dorsey hurt his knee during Saturday’s Family Fun Night, and Albert said this week a teammate stepped on his foot last Thursday. The Chiefs are calling Albert’s injury a sprained foot.

“It’s a freak accident,” Albert said. “You can’t help it.”

Albert said he expected to miss the rest of the preseason, barring a “miracle.”

Dorsey’s injury initially was feared worse than the left knee sprain tests revealed Sunday. He hoped to return to practice Monday and said he expected to play in the Chiefs’ second preseason game against the Arizona Cardinals, which will be Aug. 16 at Arrowhead Stadium.

“I’ll be ready,” Dorsey said.

Albert wore a walking boot and used crutches to walk this week. He said missing tonight’s game will be unfamiliar to him after he never missed a game in three seasons at Virginia.

This is the second time since the NFL draft that Albert suffered an injury. He hurt his ankle during offseason team activities and missed the final week of those workouts.

What you need to know about ...

THE OFFENSE
Edwards said all three quarterbacks will play tonight, with starter Brodie Croyle and second-year backup Tyler Thigpen getting most of the snaps. Edwards said Croyle will play a specific number of snaps, which Edwards did not reveal, but that those snaps could push Croyle into playing into the second quarter. … Running back Larry Johnson is expected to play as many as 20 snaps, touching the ball five or six times, Edwards said.

THE DEFENSE
Edwards said coaches will observe the defense tonight and how the players relearn how to tackle. He said some veterans haven’t made a tackle since the regular-season finale, and some newcomers haven’t tackled since their final college game. … Linebacker Donnie Edwards, who has battled tight hamstrings last week, will not play tonight.

INJURY REPORT
Edwards, running back Kolby Smith (groin), Albert (foot), Dorsey (knee), defensive end Trevor Johnson (concussion) and wide receiver Kevin Robinson (knee) will not make the trip to Chicago.

TODAY’S SCHEDULE
The Chiefs will play their first preseason game tonight at the Chicago Bears. Kickoff is at 7 p.m.

| Kent Babb, kbabb@kcstar.com

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
If week 3 of the regular season is a blowout one way or the other Albert might get some snaps. That would be the earliest I expect him back

Ceej
08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
I think I am most giddy to watch Flowers and Morgan.

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
I think I am most giddy to watch Flowers and Morgan.

and Carr....

Rausch
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
No rush.

If we're going to do this thing lets do it right...

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 08:04 AM
The Albert injury officially has taken the wind out of my sails for this season.

Apathy is starting to set in........

Ceej
08-07-2008, 08:06 AM
I'd like to see Morgan pull some of these "dance moves" after a pick six.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qYIxo-ZnkQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6qYIxo-ZnkQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

blueballs
08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
they're giving out crutches
at the Az pre-season game

DeezNutz
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Interesting. Albert said on 810 yesterday that he was hoping to be back for the St. Louis game. No miracle talk or whip.

Rausch
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
The Flowers news is good. He was a guy I hoped we'd take in a trade down (figured we'd deal the Dorsey pick) and was begging for him in the 2nd.

Everyone seems to think our new LT is the key to the season but I don't. In the long run it is but we aren't building offense first. I think it's clear the defense will be depended on to keep games close. Flowers and Dorsey (as well as the health of the D line rotation as a whole) are the most important...

Ultra Peanut
08-07-2008, 08:51 AM
Good news on Flowers, and as much as I want Albert to be the baddest mofo on the line, it's not absolutely vital that he be that instantly. As long as he makes progress this year, I'm happy.

Garcia Bronco
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
It burns me up that Flowers is playing for the Chiefs. He was a great college corner playing on a great defense.

StcChief
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Give Flowers/Carr plenty of D time now. Not that DaBears have alot of passing attacks.

eazyb81
08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Awesome news on Flowers. We're doing this the right way by throwing the kids out there and letting them learn on the field instead of just watching from the bench.

He'll make his share of mistakes, but I think he'll be pretty decent by the end of the year.

Sully
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
The few days I was in River Falls, Flowers was the best CB out there.
Carr didn't look too bad, either.

blackhawk
08-09-2008, 02:14 PM
Chiefs | Shackleford agrees to terms
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:36:44 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs announced they have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with free-agent OT Ken Shackleford (Chiefs). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

OnTheWarpath15
08-09-2008, 03:31 PM
Chiefs | Shackleford agrees to terms
Sat, 9 Aug 2008 12:36:44 -0700

The Kansas City Chiefs announced they have agreed to terms on a two-year contract with free-agent OT Ken Shackleford (Chiefs). Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.

Somebody was on the ****ing ball...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Shackleford

KCUnited
08-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Welcome to May 12th.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10633