PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs interested in Chad Pennington

Hammock Parties
08-07-2008, 07:57 AM
http://kan.scout.com/2/776663.html

In the wake of a late-night deal that sent Brett Favre to the New York Jets for a conditional draft choice, Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum informed reporters that starting quarterback Chad Pennington would be released early Thursday morning. Will he end up in Kansas City?

Favre was dealt from the Packers to the Jets for a conditional draft pick that could land Green Bay anywhere from a 4th to 1st round draft pick, depending on Favre’s ability to lead his new team to the Super Bowl.

The trade wasn’t a surprise, because the Jets have been one of the most active NFL teams this offseason. Tannenbaum was hoping to land Favre when it became clear he wanted to play football again, but still had respect for Pennington.

“He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time," said Tannenbaum of Pennington. " I really appreciate everything he has done."

Acquiring Favre puts the Jets in a position where they no longer need Pennington, however. New York is committed to Kellen Clemens, who will be Favre's backup.

The Jets have to cut Pennington before they officially add Favre to the roster, because they have to clear nearly $12 million in cap space to complete the trade.

It’s logical that Chiefs Head Coach Herm Edwards would have an interest in Pennington because of their close relationship when Edwards was in New York.

Will it happen? According to our league source, Pennington is a vested veteran, so he does not have to go through the normal waiver process. He can choose to sign with any team.

Per that same source, Pennington has the Chiefs at the top of the list of teams that he’d like to play for in 2008.

The good news for the Chiefs is that they have the cap room to absorb both Pennington’s contract and veteran Damon Huard’s contract.

The Chiefs, who are preparing for their preseason opener against the Chicago Bears tonight, had planed to play Huard in the second half. But those plans could change if the Pennington rumor heats up throughout the day.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated.com for more breaking news on Chad Pennington and the Chiefs. Look for our review of the Chiefs-Bears game Friday morning.

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 07:59 AM
I've been predicting this the entire offseason sign me up wpi

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 08:00 AM
where does it say the chiefs are interested?

Redrum_69
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM

yeah but can you predict the weather?

and

can you predict which game larry johnson gets hurt?

booyaf2
08-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

Rausch
08-07-2008, 08:02 AM
Cry all you want but I'd take him over Huard in a heartbeat...

seclark
08-07-2008, 08:03 AM
where does it say the chiefs are interested?

'swhat i was thinking.
sec

bobbything
08-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm interested in playing for the Chiefs too. But, until they say they're interested in me, I won't write an article stating that are.

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 08:05 AM
Captain Checkdown and his Wobble Launcher Part Deux...........

Nzoner
Will it happen? According to our league source, Pennington is a vested veteran, so he does not have to go through the normal waiver process. He can choose to sign with any team.

Per that same source, Pennington has the Chiefs at the top of the list of teams that he’d like to play for in 2008.

The good news for the Chiefs is that they have the cap room to absorb both Pennington’s contract and veteran Damon Huard’s contract.

The Chiefs, who are preparing for their preseason opener against the Chicago Bears tonight, had planed to play Huard in the second half. But those plans could change if the Pennington rumor heats up throughout the day.

Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated.com for more breaking news on Chad Pennington and the Chiefs. Look for our review of the Chiefs-Bears game Friday morning.

So your league source is ESPN?

Scorp
Jesus f*cking christ just shoot me now......please. :Lin:

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 08:08 AM
This article doesn't contain any information that the Chiefs are interested in Pennington.

Sully
Great. A ****ing better parachute, when we shouldn't even use a parachute.

This sucks.

Demonpenz
Brody Croyle either gets pulled or gets hurt by game 4 then we bring out pennington and the swing pass express

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
Brody Croyle either gets pulled or gets hurt by game 4 then we bring out pennington and the swing pass express

"Pennington and the Swing Pass Express" - that's great.

Redrum_69
08-07-2008, 08:10 AM
YAYA PENNINGTON SIGNED!!!!

The are going to have the official aannouncment soon

StcChief
08-07-2008, 08:11 AM
Chiefs and a few other teams for sure..... like who knew.

same would be said about Garcia if Favre went to Tampa

capt obvious.

blueballs
08-07-2008, 08:12 AM
flank Pennington out right
the Pats want another shot

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Um... talk about misleading headline.

Molitoth
08-07-2008, 08:23 AM
YAYA PENNINGTON SIGNED!!!!

The are going to have the official aannouncment soon

EHHH???

Al Bundy
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM
Like I said in another thread.. Chad Pennington will be the Chiefs starting QB week 1.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 08:25 AM

You're overqualified.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Like I said in another thread.. Chad Pennington will be the Chiefs starting QB week 1.

Barring a preseason injury to Brodie Croyle you're dead wrong.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-07-2008, 08:28 AM

:rolleyes: complete BS

Anyway if he is signed to replace Huard I don't see any problem with signing Pennington.

Molitoth
08-07-2008, 08:29 AM

You lose.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 08:30 AM
Can the Mods change the thread title to "Claythan interested in Chad Pennington". It's more factual than the current title.

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
Pennington and Herm had success before. This would be an upgrade over croyle, if croyle plays the way he did last year.

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 08:31 AM
If this happens I'm becoming a Cowboys fan. See you guys.

Scorp
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM

I am with the old f*cker. :D

Gonzo
08-07-2008, 08:33 AM

:rolleyes:

Redrum_69
08-07-2008, 08:34 AM
EHHH???

its posted on WPI
so it must be right
who cares about the fans
carl peterson is really nick athan

mikey23545
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Great. A ****ing better parachute, when we shouldn't even use a parachute.

This sucks.

:spock:

You don't think the Chiefs should carry any backup QB's on their roster?

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:36 AM
Pennington would be a Trent Dilfer insurance policy for a team with a strong defense and a promising rushing attack. One of the kids is the QBotF and Pennington would be in the same role as Huard (#3) unless the Chiefs were making a serious run at the AFCW crown. Not gonna happen.

Sure-Oz
08-07-2008, 08:37 AM
Where is the question mark on the headline?

I'd say grab him if he gets released...he would be way better than damon

StcChief
08-07-2008, 08:39 AM
Pennington would be a Trent Dilfer insurance policy for a team with a strong defense and a promising rushing attack. One of the kids is the QBotF and Pennington would be in the same role as Huard (#3) unless the Chiefs were making a serious run at the AFCW crown. Not gonna happen. yeah in 2 years :)

Ultra Peanut
08-07-2008, 08:40 AM
No shit.

Sully
08-07-2008, 08:45 AM
:spock:

You don't think the Chiefs should carry any backup QB's on their roster?

I think if and when Croyle is injured, we should sink or swim with another young quarterback... like Tyler Thigpen. Any veteran should just be the emergency 3rd. I don't believe Pennington would be our emergency 3rd, do you?

Buehler445
08-07-2008, 08:46 AM
If the Chiefs pick him up the only action he better see is if Croyle is broken. Croyle better get this ENTIRE YEAR at least. Logically it makes sense because Hutard is THE BAD, but I can't trust Carl and Co to make the right decision with Croyle. Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
If the Chiefs pick him up the only action he better see is if Croyle is broken. Croyle better get this ENTIRE YEAR at least. Logically it makes sense because Hutard is THE BAD, but I can't trust Carl and Co to make the right decision with Croyle. Posted via Mobile Device

That's the problem. If Croyle gets broken I'd rather see Thigpen. Thigpen would get the start ahead of Huard, but not ahead of Pennington.

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:47 AM
I think if and when Croyle is injured, we should sink or swim with another young quarterback... like Tyler Thigpen. Any veteran should just be the emergency 3rd. I don't believe Pennington would be our emergency 3rd, do you?

Both Croyle and Thigpen got hurt last year. Emergencies happen. Whoda thunk Priest Holmes would have gotten PT last year?

tooge
08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Captain Checkdown and his Wobble Launcher Part Deux...........

more like captian wobble shoulder and his duck launcher.

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:48 AM
Huard > Pennington, Croyle, Thigpen.

Sully
08-07-2008, 08:50 AM
Both Croyle and Thigpen got hurt last year. Emergencies happen. Whoda thunk Priest Holmes would have gotten PT last year?

And in that case, what does it matter who the number 3 is? Find another young guy somewhere and play him. Why pay a vet any more than you are already paying shitty Huard.
The problem with Pennington is that Herm would be, IMO, antsy to play him as early as he could.

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:53 AM
What is Pennington? 31? Huard - 35?

Huard is a safer bet IMO if you look at his W/Ls and stats.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Monkey, Baboon, Gorilla > KCJohnny

Gonzo
08-07-2008, 08:55 AM

Aren't they all pretty much the same guy anyway?

bobbything
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
What a stupid thread. Arguing over who should be the 3rd string QB. The thread title is misleading. Nonetheless, par for the course.

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 08:56 AM
Pennington and Herm has clicked before. I would be confortable playing pennington. We can't afford to be as bad as we were last year

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:57 AM
KCJohnny > DaKCMan, his mom and his dog
Concur.

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 08:58 AM
Whoever is the KC QB will have THREE gauraunteed threats: LJ, D-Bowe and Tony Gonzalez.

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
I still don't see why KC didn't keep Ricky Santos around as a 4th QB.

King_Chief_Fan
08-07-2008, 08:59 AM
Typical shoddy reporting by whorepaint. No where does it say that the Chiefs are interested. It says that Pennington is intersested.

Sully
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Pennington and Herm has clicked before. I would be confortable playing pennington. We can't afford to be as bad as we were last year

I disagree.
We can't afford to be 8-8 this year.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Concur.

Nice job, Chaplain. Very ethical.

Sully
08-07-2008, 09:01 AM
What a stupid thread. Arguing over who should be the 3rd string QB. The thread title is misleading. Nonetheless, par for the course.

I think the fear in this thread is that we are NOT arguing over a 3rd string QB. I don't think Pennington would be our 3rd if he were here.

Zouk
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM
Chad Pennington would be the best, most prepared backup QB in the league.

He's smart as hell and would be great to have in the meeting room with Croyle. He would need to learn the offense so would not be a threat to Croyle until late in the season and only then if Croyle falls flat on his face. Brodie would have nothing to fear if he performs even marginally well.

It's win win.

Rausch
08-07-2008, 09:02 AM

You expected fireworks and got sarcasm.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-07-2008, 09:03 AM

That's what I was thinking. Would somebodys dog die please!!!!!

eazyb81
08-07-2008, 09:03 AM
Would this really be the worst thing in the world? Some of you guys are taking it WAY too hard. Pennington is better than Huard, I'm not sure anyone could disagree with that, so he would immediately improve our QB ranks.

Also, does anyone truly, truly believe that this is the season Brodie Croyle makes it through a full season? Pennington would be a very nice insurance policy for when Croyle is laying on the ground grabbing his knee around week 4.

Rausch
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
Chad Pennington would be the best, most prepared backup QB in the league.

Now that's a leap too far.

Better than Huard, yes...

MGRS13
08-07-2008, 09:04 AM
I don't think Pennington would have any intrest in coming to kc in the first place. He'd know right off the bat he isn't the starter I'm sure there is somewhere he can come in and start right now, but this aint it.

Frazod
08-07-2008, 09:07 AM
Any QB who has the stones to come here and play behind our joke of an offensive line at least deserves respect on that basis alone.

I call that Custer courage. :D

chasedude
08-07-2008, 09:08 AM
Is this the same source that said Nap Harris wasn't going to the second team?

It's all just speculation....

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM

Its always fair game to attack the post not the poster. You started it, i just retorted in humor.

KcKing
08-07-2008, 09:10 AM
Pennington and the swing pass express

What's the over/under on which week that appears in a Whitlock article?
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Its always fair game to attack the post not the poster. You started it, i just retorted in humor.

Ah, but you attacked the poster's mother and dog. Nonetheless, I'd expect more restraint from a Chaplain. ;)

Al Bundy
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM
You lose.

I was just joking.... good lord.

markk
08-07-2008, 09:12 AM
wtf? where are they getting that the CHIEFS are interested?

all it says is that pennington is interested "per our league source". well you'd think that being out of work, he'd be interested in work pretty much anywhere.

saying he is "interested" is zero risk to the writer, because even if he signs someplace else you can say "he was still interested".

a lot of paragraphs for zero information

Mr. Arrowhead
08-07-2008, 09:13 AM
Da Chad!!!

Nzoner
08-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Any QB who has the stones to come here and play behind our joke of an offensive line at least deserves respect on that basis alone.

QFT

Dartgod
08-07-2008, 09:17 AM
What a horribly written article. In addition to the misleading headline (mentioned numerous times already), this sentence makes no sense at all.

Are we to believe that just a ridiculous, unfounded rumor is going to change the Chiefs plans on who is to play at QB, less than 12 hours before the game?

It's no wonder WPI gets all the heat it does. Pure crap, I tell you...

Skip Towne
08-07-2008, 09:19 AM
What a horribly written article. In addition to the misleading headline (mentioned numerous times already), this sentence makes no sense at all.

Are we to believe that just a ridiculous, unfounded rumor is going to change the Chiefs plans on who is to play at QB, less than 12 hours before the game?

It's what you would expect from a bunch of unpaid volunteers.

markk

Yeah, no sh*t. Do they think Pennington is going to be called into the GM's office this morning, canned, Chiefs work out details and sign him, he flies to Chicago, they slap a uniform on him and he plays 2 quarters of football the same freaking day?

What a bunch of idiots.

Chiefnj2
Pennington will be signed tomorrow. Print 'em.

MGRS13
08-07-2008, 09:22 AM
by the falcons maybe.

Sure-Oz
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
Wouldn't suprise me if Minnesota signs him

1ChiefsDan
08-07-2008, 09:24 AM
I don't think I have ever wanted a 2nd rate palyer signed this bad.:D

Frosty
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM

I took it as meaning that they wouldn't want to risk Huard getting hurt in the game, which could affect the cap if they planned on cutting him.

ROYC75
08-07-2008, 09:25 AM
Da Chad!!!

Hang'n Chad ?

Nzoner
08-07-2008, 09:26 AM

According to a live interview I heard at 1a.m. est this morning between the Jets and New Yawk reporters,Chad is a goner and there is a deal in the works that should be finalized by 4 p.m. today.No teams were mentioned though.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2008, 09:30 AM

Be careful.

Hootie will come along and scold you for criticizing his boyfriend.

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 09:31 AM
According to a live interview I heard at 1a.m. est this morning between the Jets and New Yawk reporters,Chad is a goner and there is a deal in the works that should be finalized by 4 p.m. today.No teams were mentioned though.

I would have thought that Carl and some others were over in Chicago today. That's why I guessed tomorrow.

Sure-Oz
08-07-2008, 09:33 AM

Adam Scheffter said he will be released by 4et...nothing about a trade? hmm

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM
If I were the chiefs I would trade a 6th or 7th rounder to make sure we get chad before other teams

markk
08-07-2008, 09:36 AM

released at 3pm central...

carl and herm ink him at 3:05...

he is on a plane at 3:10...

he lands in chicago at 5:00 or so...

police motorcade meets him on the runway...

he arrives at soldier field through rush hour traffic at 6, just in time for the game!

Scout.com was right!!!

Nzoner
08-07-2008, 09:38 AM

Just repeating what I heard on ESPN,of course I was a lil drunk at midnight last night so maybe I misunderstood :)

Hydrae
08-07-2008, 09:49 AM
If we were talking about the 3rd quarterback I think I would prefer sticking with Huard anyway. He has a rapport with both the young guys. Croyle was talking about that recently, about how much he was learning from Damon and how supportive he had been last year. Let's stick with the guy Croyle and Thigpen know and are comfortable with as a mentor.

kstater
08-07-2008, 10:07 AM
So we tolerate WPI's spam because it's Chiefs news, when in fact, it is not news.

topher79
08-07-2008, 10:14 AM
Is anyone aware that Pennington is the 9th highest rated passer in the history of the NFL?

beach tribe
08-07-2008, 10:16 AM
Is anyone aware that Pennington is the 9th highest rated passer in the history of the NFL?

He has been efficient WHEN healthy.

HemiEd
08-07-2008, 10:21 AM

Wait, what happened to the Chargers?

HemiEd
08-07-2008, 10:23 AM
Monkey, Baboon, Gorilla > KCJohnny

ROFL I really did laugh out loud.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 10:27 AM

That's why QB rating is overrated. A QB's "rating" goes up if he takes a sack instead of throwing the ball away. It also gets inflated if he throws a bunch of dump-offs to RBs instead of pushing the ball down the field.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2008, 10:31 AM
Is there any credible information regarding this report, or is this just WPI thinking the Chiefs are interested in him?

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 10:33 AM
1) Job Security. Picking up Pennington would lower Croyle's confidence.
2) Mentor. Huard seems to be acting as a veteran guide for Croyle and Thigpen.

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Is there any credible information regarding this report, or is this just WPI thinking the Chiefs are interested in him?

Do you really think for a second that Herm isn't interested?

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
No. Their "league source" is bullshit. Old news.

chiefs1okie
08-07-2008, 10:36 AM
We have a new offensive co-ordinator who in turn scrapped what was left of the "Vermiel Offense"
All of our quarterbacks are learning a new offense (as Pennington would have to do)
Our #1 WR has a grand total of ONE year experience but could very well make the pro bowl this year
We have the best (arguably) TE to ever play the game
One of the most dynamic RB's a position in which we are loaded at by the way
Our defense has continued to improve over the last couple years with several top ten rankings in defensive categories last year

We may be a "young" team, but we DO have some extraordinary talent on both sides of the ball.

Suppose, just for a minute that we are 10 games in and are sitting at 6-4 just for arguments sake. We need to win 4 of the last six to at least clinch a wild card..... Croyle does indeed get hurt and is listed as week to week.... now we are not interested in developing future talent, but instead are focused on winning NOW to secure a play off berth.... humor me....

Huard is not hungry anymore, it was his team and he got demoted to third string... he has nothing to prove and is ultra conservative using check downs and safety valves in order to manage the game..
Pennington sees an opportunity to show why he was brought here as a game tested and playoff experienced QB, and is excited about the chance to be the hero as happened in N.Y. and is striving to get the ball in the hands of Bowe or Darling streaking 40 yards down the sidelines....

????

Who would you rather have sitting in the wings?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2008, 10:37 AM
Do you really think for a second that Herm isn't interested?

Well I hate to play the guessing game. Croyle is his guy, IMO, until we hear something else.

alanm
08-07-2008, 10:41 AM
The Chiefs are interested in Pennington because WPI thinks so? :rolleyes::shake:

The Bad Guy
08-07-2008, 10:43 AM

Bullshit.

If Brodie Croyle can't handle a guy coming in to be the backup, then mentally he will never make it in the NFL.

JBucc
08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
I don't care if we bring him in or not. If at some point someone beside Croyle is starting that just means Croyle is a failure and we should be looking at QB's next year. It doesn't matter who his backup is.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2008, 10:47 AM
I don't care if we bring him in or not. If at some point someone beside Croyle is starting that just means Croyle is a failure and we should be looking at QB's next year. It doesn't matter who his backup is.

If the Chiefs sign Pennington and Croyle ends up sucking, you will see 09 as the year of the Chad. Herm will make sure of it. Then if Chad fails in 09 then we'll see another coaching staff and a house cleaning finally.

Sign me up.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 10:50 AM
The pussification of the Chiefs.

Micjones
08-07-2008, 10:52 AM
Bullshit.

If Brodie Croyle can't handle a guy coming in to be the backup, then mentally he will never make it in the NFL.

Hello...

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 10:53 AM
Hello...
Hi...

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 10:56 AM
Bullshit.

How is my statement bullshit? First, whether he can make it in the NFL or not is already in question. Second, Croyle has already expressed that he is more confident knowing that his job is secure, opposed to competition.

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 10:57 AM
1. No one doubts that the Chiefs are interested in Puss-arm. But if an article is going to make the claim, then it has to have sourced information to support it. This article doesn't. The headline is false.

2. I'm not worried about Croyle if we bring in Vag-arm. I'm worried about Herm.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 10:58 AM

We already know Chad isn't the guy. If Chad's here and Brodie isn't starting, then Chad starts. That means that we don't get to find out if Thigpen is the guy.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 11:00 AM
We already know Chad isn't the guy. If Chad's here and Brodie isn't starting, then Chad starts. That means that we don't get to find out if Thigpen is the guy.
Which blows, we need to continue the youth movement, Signing Pennington doesnt help this team in any way shape or form... Unless we are release the new Wobble Launcher 2.0 by christmas?

Pennington cant stay healthy, why add another vagina to the roster, we already have Huard.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2008, 11:06 AM
How is my statement bullshit? First, whether he can make it in the NFL or not is already in question. Second, Croyle has already expressed that he is more confident knowing that his job is secure, opposed to competition.

Then I want that pussy off the Chiefs.

He has done nothing in the NFL to warrant a job free of competition.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 11:07 AM
What really cracks me up is people here talking about Croyles health and staying on the Field, yet they are ready to swallow Penningtons junk balls deep. Pennington is one of the biggest pussies in the game.. Dude is more fragile than a rag doll...

WOW, just WOW... How sad, the "true fans" are missing their washed up so called proven vet to lead this team to 9-7....

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 11:14 AM

You and I both know that's exactly what he has been given. Sink or swim.

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 11:15 AM
Warpaint is a complete joke. A credible website identifies their source. They never have.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 11:17 AM
You and I both know that's exactly what he has been given. Sink or swim.
If that was the case? Then there wouldnt be anybody to play QB in the NFL... Everyone has to start out unproven. :doh!:

LOCOChief
08-07-2008, 11:22 AM

EXACTLY, why not keep the rookie who played behind the biggest "joke of and offensive line" last year and try to develope him?

LOCOChief
08-07-2008, 11:26 AM
Then I want that pussy off the Chiefs.

there you go again, but this time yopur opting for a guy that's got a more extensive injury record than the rookie that your not willing to develope. but if you want that "pussy off the Chiefs" then I imagine that's exactly what will happen.

markk
08-07-2008, 11:29 AM
So we tolerate WPI's spam because it's Chiefs news, when in fact, it is not news.

i dont know what that article was but news it was definitely not.

it reads more like someone writing an email about something they think is possible but which they have entirely pulled out of their arse

Warrior5
08-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Jets | Chiefs interested in Chad Pennington
Thu, 7 Aug 2008 10:11:57 -0700

Claythan, of Warpaint Inc., reports The Kansas City Chiefs are interested in acquiring New York Jets QB Chad Pennington, expected to be released as a result of the Jets acquiring Brett Favre. When asked about possibly becoming a Chief, Pennington responded, "Are you kidding me? Behind that O-line? Tell Herm thanks, but I'd rather just hold a clipboard here and live."

markk
08-07-2008, 11:31 AM
Warpaint is a complete joke. A credible website identifies their source. They never have.

you either have to have credible sources or you have to be right most of the time so that people will accept that you know what you're talking about.

they are just full of _hit so i dont know why people keep posting their lame articles

King_Chief_Fan
08-07-2008, 11:37 AM

who does he think he is....Trent Green? Only Trent can demand being the man without competition.

Valiant
08-07-2008, 11:41 AM

I would also..

But there is the fact that with Huard here, it is Croyles year to sink or swim even if he makes mistakes.. sans a injury..

If we pick up Chad, I have the feeling Croyle would not get the same leeway..

Dylan
08-07-2008, 11:47 AM
"Stay tuned to Warpaint Illustrated.com for more breaking news on Chad Pennington and the Chiefs."

Flustrated
08-07-2008, 11:50 AM

I think this is the "SHOCKING" news we've been waiting since January for.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=179266

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Pennington is going to add a new dimintion to the chiefs gameplan!

Uncle_Ted
08-07-2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah, because handing a guy a job with no competition behind him to push him has worked so well for us (ahem, Medlock) in the past.

I don't ever want to see Chad play for us in a regular season game, unless it's garbage time and Thigpen is injured. But would I rather see Chad than Huard? Yes.

jAZ
08-07-2008, 12:20 PM
This is a horrible article when you leave the "?" off the end of the title.

Demonpenz
08-07-2008, 12:22 PM
I's in yur ARROWHEAD Swingerz yurr passes

Carlota69
08-07-2008, 12:43 PM
I just threw up a little in my mouth.

I just threw up everywhere:spock:

Hootie
08-07-2008, 12:47 PM
we all know he has a shitty arm, but he's a big upgrade over Huard, that's for sure...

I have no problem with Pennington backing up Croyle.

RustShack
08-07-2008, 12:52 PM
Bring it on!

kcxiv
08-07-2008, 12:54 PM
ESPN reporting that Dolphins are interested in Chad. woohooooooooooooooooooooo

KurtCobain
08-07-2008, 12:56 PM

good. anybody but us.

JuicesFlowing
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Absolutely. Huge upgrade over Huard ...

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 12:57 PM

Parcells did draft Pennington.

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
who does he think he is....Trent Green? Only Trent can demand being the man without competition.

Yeah, because handing a guy a job with no competition behind him to push him has worked so well for us (ahem, Medlock) in the past.

I don't ever want to see Chad play for us in a regular season game, unless it's garbage time and Thigpen is injured. But would I rather see Chad than Huard? Yes.

This is what I am basing the statement on:

Q: Does this camp feel any different knowing you’re the starter as opposed to competing for the job?

CROYLE: “Of course. Last year at this time, I was competing to get a starting job. This year it’s a different kind of pressure. Last year I put pressure on myself to try to win the job. This year people are looking at me to put us in the right plays and put the ball where it’s supposed to be. There’s always going to be pressure, you just deal with it and play with it.”

bogey
08-07-2008, 01:05 PM
So...if Croyle sucks and Thigpen sucks, then what? It seems to me it will be very difficult for our other young offensive players to improve when the QB's suck. How do others improve when the person leading the offense can't do the job? If we spend all season giving young QB's a chance to improve and they don't, haven't we slowed down the learning process for the rest of the offense?

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 01:10 PM
Adam Schefter just said the Chiefs are interested in Chad, and we are the most possible landing spot for him.

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 01:12 PM
basically for everyone that doesnt like the idea of Chad Pennington in KC...i would like to know why? he would be an upgrade over both Thigpen, and Huard. and if/when Croyle is injured id much rather have Pennington as our QB than Huard or Thigpen.

RustShack
08-07-2008, 01:16 PM
Croyle is our starting QB. Chad will come and win a couple games after Croyle gets hurt. After Pennington hurts his shoulder again Tyler Thigpen will come in and the will be our starting QB for the next ten years. You heard it here first folks.

RustShack
08-07-2008, 01:17 PM
Its the Herm curse, we will go through multiple QB's. Huard will probably be resigned by mid season because of injurys if he is released for Chad and doesn't land elsewhere.

Chief Faithful
08-07-2008, 01:23 PM
we all know he has a shitty arm, but he's a big upgrade over Huard, that's for sure...

I have no problem with Pennington backing up Croyle.

I like Pennington over Huard. While Pennington has a weak arm is there anyone that feels it is weaker than Huards? I think Pennington's arm is actually stronger than Huard.

DaKCMan AP
08-07-2008, 01:24 PM
So...if Croyle sucks and Thigpen sucks, then what? It seems to me it will be very difficult for our other young offensive players to improve when the QB's suck. How do others improve when the person leading the offense can't do the job? If we spend all season giving young QB's a chance to improve and they don't, haven't we slowed down the learning process for the rest of the offense?

Then we start over next year. If we just plug a crappy vet in we don't learn anything.

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
It will suck next year if we have to draft a QB in the first round.

Chief Faithful
08-07-2008, 01:26 PM
Pennington and Huard are really the same player only Pennington is younger.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:30 PM
basically for everyone that doesnt like the idea of Chad Pennington in KC...i would like to know why? he would be an upgrade over both Thigpen, and Huard. and if/when Croyle is injured id much rather have Pennington as our QB than Huard or Thigpen.
Because the guy cant stay on the field. He is always hurt, has a vagina for an arm and just otherwise sucks ass...

We have had our fill of suck ass in KC...

KCrockaholic

thats probably true. they're alot alike. But because Pennington is younger he would be an upgrade over Huard

Reerun_KC
and Hurt more often....

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:31 PM
thats probably true. they're alot alike. But because Pennington is younger he would be an upgrade over Huard
how can he be an upgrade of Huard? IF Croyle gets hurt behind this line. How in the hell is Vaginngtion going to stay healthy?

Please answer that!

Chief Faithful
08-07-2008, 01:33 PM
and Hurt more often....

I'm not sure that is a negative in this case.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:34 PM
I'm not sure that is a negative in this case.
See your point...

But still, the jets pussification has to stop.

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 01:35 PM
how can he be an upgrade of Huard? IF Croyle gets hurt behind this line. How in the hell is Vaginngtion going to stay healthy?

Please answer that!

Pennington is a better QB than Huard. If Pennington gets hurt - big deal. It isn't like Huard was going to carry the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. If you believe any of the accounts of practice it doesn't seem like Thigpen has a shot either. Pennington can come in, dump the ball off and execute Herm's system. With his experience he could pull out a few wins against other bad teams. All of the other young players get experience and Herm and Carl get a few wins which buys another year.

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 01:37 PM

Please answer that!

well we would still have Thigpen if that happened. I know personally i would rather have Pennington than Phantom Sack as our QB. either way there both pussies. But i think Chad has more upside, where Huard is only declining.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Pennington is a better QB than Huard. If Pennington gets hurt - big deal. It isn't like Huard was going to carry the Chiefs to the Super Bowl. If you believe any of the accounts of practice it doesn't seem like Thigpen has a shot either. Pennington can come in, dump the ball off and execute Herm's system. With his experience he could pull out a few wins against other bad teams. All of the other young players get experience and Herm and Carl get a few wins which buys another year.

Woowoo, back up there! I thought this was Gaileys system we are running? Now you telling me Herm has control over this offense again? So I was right, Solari was an scapegoat for spineless Herm...

Why the **** do we want Herm and Carl to buy another year? Jesus that is like asking for your Cell mate Bubba to ride you 4 times a day instead of 2....

Pennington does nothing but make this team worse. He has zero value to the Chiefs or our young QB's.....

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:40 PM
well we would still have Thigpen if that happened. I know personally i would rather have Pennington than Phantom Sack as our QB. either way there both pussies. But i think Chad has more upside, where Huard is only declining.

Chad has zero upside. He has been hurt to many times to proved any value to the Chiefs. He cant spread the field, go deep and is just a younger version of DownField BigGame...

Thanks but no thanks, no need to upset the fragile state of this team...

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 01:42 PM
Chad has zero upside. He has been hurt to many times to proved any value to the Chiefs. He cant spread the field, go deep and is just a younger version of DownField BigGame...

Thanks but no thanks, no need to upset the fragile state of this team...

so you would rather see the slow, old, phantom sack at QB than Pennington?

Chiefnj2
08-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Woowoo, back up there! I thought this was Gaileys system we are running? Now you telling me Herm has control over this offense again? So I was right, Solari was an scapegoat for spineless Herm...

Why the **** do we want Herm and Carl to buy another year? Jesus that is like asking for your Cell mate Bubba to ride you 4 times a day instead of 2....

Pennington does nothing but make this team worse. He has zero value to the Chiefs or our young QB's.....

Pennington has value to Herm and Carl and Hunt. I personally don't think Herm could make the Super Bowl if he had Joe Montana in his prime. I don't want Herm and Carl around at all, but I realize that Hunt has apparently bought into Herm. If Croyle sucks and is yanked, or gets hurt (likely) then Pennington affords Herm and Carl and Hunt the best chance of winning a few games which lets them tell the season ticket holders we are on the right track.

IMO, Gailey is going to run a system that Herm approves of - power running and a safe, short passing attack. He'll play to the strengths of the players more than Solari did, but at the end of the day if the OL doesn't work nothing is going to change.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:47 PM
so you would rather see the slow, old, phantom sack at QB than Pennington?
Whats the difference. Huard provides no threat to the development of the Chiefs younger QB"S, were as Pennington does, it gives the dulisional true fans something to hang the 7-9 hopes to. Give them a reason to boo any young QB that is trying to develop in a very none QB friendly offense.

Why bring a controversy in with Vaginngton? Its ridicoulous.... Jesus the guy couldnt even beat out Kelly Clemons last year.. ROFL Yet we want to sign him?

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 01:49 PM
Pennington has value to Herm and Carl and Hunt. I personally don't think Herm could make the Super Bowl if he had Joe Montana in his prime. I don't want Herm and Carl around at all, but I realize that Hunt has apparently bought into Herm. If Croyle sucks and is yanked, or gets hurt (likely) then Pennington affords Herm and Carl and Hunt the best chance of winning a few games which lets them tell the season ticket holders we are on the right track.

IMO, Gailey is going to run a system that Herm approves of - power running and a safe, short passing attack. He'll play to the strengths of the players more than Solari did, but at the end of the day if the OL doesn't work nothing is going to change.

Pennington cant stay healthy, Period! So he has no value to the Chiefs, Hell the dude took a beating in Herms glory years of his tenure in NYJ.

So if a younger QB is going to get hurt, no way Pennington can last more than 2 games.

Pennington is a bigger puss than Croyle.

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 01:55 PM
Huard can help Brodie and Tyler a lot more than Pennington can. Whatever the case, I hope we KEEP Damon.

bogey
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Then we start over next year. If we just plug a crappy vet in we don't learn anything.

Yes, but then we have to start over with the entire offense, not just the QB. Seems to me, if Croyle sucks and we bring in Pennington, who I believe is better than Huard and Thigpen, at least the rest of the O will get a chance to improve. Then we bring in a new young QB that will be working with a semi established/improved offense.

DT58HOF
08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Now im all for the rebuild!

questions i asked myself?

is Croyle are QB of the future? no ****ing way
We will have to draft another one or make a big trade for someone like Brady Quinn.

Is Pennington better than Croyle right now? YES
Is Pennington better than Huard? Probably yes and younger and has won more playoff games, remember he was very good and then played on some very shitty teams in NY, sign him up make him the starter for this young team play herms ball control and dont make mistakes, we will win some games this year.

Another Question without all the turnovers how many more games would we have won last year? Pennington wont take them chances ,he is best for Hermy!!

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 02:49 PM

We will have to draft another one or make a big trade for someone like Brady Quinn.

Is Pennington better than Huard? Probably yes and younger and has won more playoff games, remember he was very good and then played on some very shitty teams in NY, sign him up make him the starter for this young team play herms ball control and dont make mistakes, we will win some games this year.

Another Question without all the turnovers how many more games would we have won last year? Pennington wont take them chances ,he is best for Hermy!!

:clap: Praise be the TRUE FAN!

9-7 for LIFE!

BigRock
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Pennington is a bigger puss than Croyle.

Puss, vag, you certainly seem to have a certain obsession working here.

Be honest: do you want to go down on Chad Pennington?

Rasputin
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Isn't it ironic? the day Aarron Rogers was drafted, ESPN kept calling out that maybe Greenbay would take him. It was like they kept showing the poor kid and teams kept passing over him. Now just assumption & media make the bussiness of football happen? Is that irony or something else? The media & fans assume this will happen so we all should assume this is going to happen. Do coaches think for themselves?

I assume Brodie is the guy even if they get Chad Pennington. Chad would serve as back up, I don't care one way or the other but am exited that Brodie Croyle is our QB of the now and of the future, cus I am saying Brodie Croyle is the guy.

Sully
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM

Because the worst thing that can happen to this team this year, IMO, is to go 8-8.
If Croyle gets injured, his trial should be over. We will need to face that we need another QB. Next year's draft class apparently doesn't have great QBs, but I'd like to at least have a shot at the best of that bunch. If we have a guy like Pennington come in and get us a few sloppy wins, what have we gained? A couple of sloppy wins, a poorer draft pick, and probably another QB controversy next season.

The Bad Guy
08-07-2008, 03:14 PM
Because the worst thing that can happen to this team this year, IMO, is to go 8-8.
If Croyle gets injured, his trial should be over. We will need to face that we need another QB. Next year's draft class apparently doesn't have great QBs, but I'd like to at least have a shot at the best of that bunch. If we have a guy like Pennington come in and get us a few sloppy wins, what have we gained? A couple of sloppy wins, a poorer draft pick, and probably another QB controversy next season.

There is no way Chad Pennington can lead this team to 8 wins.

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Very solid post.

:clap:

Sure-Oz
08-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Pennington>Huard forever

Sully
08-07-2008, 03:16 PM
There is no way Chad Pennington can lead this team to 8 wins.

Based off what I saw at camp, I'm pretty scared taht this is an 8-win team, right now.

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2008, 03:20 PM
Based off what I saw at camp, I'm pretty scared taht this is an 8-win team, right now.

WTF?

Over 2 seasons, you mean?

08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
All the Pennington crap is going to make us all insane. Damnit Carl.

Sully
08-07-2008, 03:22 PM
WTF?

Over 2 seasons, you mean?

LOL
I'm serious. I walked away afraid of that. We have talent at the offensive skill positions, and I think we have improved at CB, DT, and at LB (just a hair). The only place we've stepped back is DE. We are still weak along both lines, but this new offensive system accounts for that in their style. I'm afraid we may pull 8 wins out of our ass this year... and it pisses me off.

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 03:35 PM

as far as Pennington is concerned. I dont look at him as any more than a back-up. and its always nice to have a good back-up...We just need to look at the brightside and hope that Croyle doesnt get injured....but you really think we would be better off with Thigpen or Huard at QB? I would be willing to give Thigpen a chance. But Huard doesnt deserve to ever start in the NFL again.

Sully
08-07-2008, 03:38 PM
....but you really think we would be better off with Thigpen or Huard at QB? I would be willing to give Thigpen a chance. But Huard doesnt deserve to ever start in the NFL again.

Do I think we'd be better off with Thigpen at QB?
YES!!!! That's what I've been trying to say!!!! Having a "good" backup will only back us into some wins we shouldn't have. If the backup we have now isn't good enough to win, then let's at least find out, rather than have some retread shit away, at the very least, a good draft pick... and at worst give us a QB controversy.

BigMeatballDave
08-07-2008, 03:40 PM

Another Question without all the turnovers how many more games would we have won last year? Pennington wont take them chances ,he is best for Hermy!!****ing retards...

The Bad Guy
08-07-2008, 03:48 PM

Then that's what they are.

You don't have to have the #1 pick in the draft to get a good QB.

KCrockaholic
08-07-2008, 04:01 PM
Do I think we'd be better off with Thigpen at QB?
YES!!!! That's what I've been trying to say!!!! Having a "good" backup will only back us into some wins we shouldn't have. If the backup we have now isn't good enough to win, then let's at least find out, rather than have some retread shit away, at the very least, a good draft pick... and at worst give us a QB controversy.

we'll atleast you explain things better than most people on here. But i think because this team is so young were a team that NEEDS to WIN games. I think the Chiefs have forgotten what its like to win. we need some momentum heading into years ahead of us. I dont care who the QB that gets us those wins, i just want us to win. Its not comfortable to sit here and just be ok with losing. Mentally our team needs wins to know what that feels like.

Mecca
08-07-2008, 04:05 PM
This team has giant holes, there aren't 8 wins in the team....

Chiefs Pantalones
08-07-2008, 05:46 PM
According to Adam Schefter, the Chiefs are interested in Pennington. I think he said Pennington would rather go to Minnesota though, not sure but I think he said that.

Hootie
08-07-2008, 05:57 PM
According to Adam Schefter, the Chiefs are interested in Pennington. I think he said Pennington would rather go to Minnesota though, not sure but I think he said that.

A true playoff/super bowl contender (Minnesota), or a 5 win team (Kansas City)...hmm, go figure!

I think Minnesota is better off with Tavaris but it wouldn't hurt to bring in Chad...if I were Minnesota I'd take a chance and make him the backup...and if they start 0-2 because Tavaris blows then you put him in...but if any team (other than maybe Miami) brings him in and anoints him starter, they are being dumb.

I'd love to see him be our backup, Thigpen 3, Huard cut. We have enough cap space to eat his $2.5M...maybe someone gives us a 7th for him? I've seen crazier things...hell, he's a great #3 QB according to the Patriots...

Hootie
08-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Then that's what they are.

You don't have to have the #1 pick in the draft to get a good QB.

How many franchise QB's are out there?

With Herm...and what Herm wants to do...all we need is a dominant defense and a Jeff Garcia and we can win a Super Bowl...

Problem is, we don't have a dominant defense...

If our defense was dominant, like it will be in a few years, I'd be all for getting a Chad Pennington or Jeff Garcia EVERY year until our defense can no longer win games...

Herm is building a team that wins with defense...so instead of wasting years with the Brodie Croyle's of the world, I have no problem with a Jeff Garcia veteran every year...until we stumble into a franchise QB...something most teams don't have as it is...

KCJohnny
08-07-2008, 06:09 PM
Problem is, we don't have a dominant defense...

<HR style="COLOR: #cccccc" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08...mary_bears_08/ (http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/07/game_summary_bears_08/)

The defensive improvement continued for the Chiefs a year ago as Kansas City ranked in the NFL’s top fi ve in nine different different defensive categories. The Chiefs led the league in thirddown defense (31.3%) and forced a league-high 121 negative plays. KC also ranked second in the NFL in Red Zone defense (14.5 TD pct.).

Well, then we are at least knocking on the door. BTW, I'm comfortable with vet QBs, too.

Hootie
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
wow I am liking this new offense so far

Hootie
08-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Well, then we are at least knocking on the door. BTW, I'm comfortable with vet QBs, too.

I thought we were more than solid at times last year but there is no doubt, without Jared Allen, we took a major step back...at least for now.

Mosbonian
08-07-2008, 06:26 PM
Herm is building a team that wins with defense...so instead of wasting years with the Brodie Croyle's of the world, I have no problem with a Jeff Garcia veteran every year...until we stumble into a franchise QB...something most teams don't have as it is...

Not trying to be obnoxious, but....

Isn't this the philosophy that we have been working with since 1969?

mmaddog

Hammock Parties
08-07-2008, 09:38 PM
According to Adam Schefter, the Chiefs are interested in Pennington.

SOUNDS LIKE ADAM SCHEFTER IS JUST MAKING IT UP LOL

Sure-Oz
08-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Per Rotoworld.com

In addition to the Dolphins, the Chiefs are reportedly interested in free agent Chad Pennington.
Pennington wouldn't fit Kansas City's maniacal youth movement, but at least he'd make the NFL's worst QB depth chart look a bit more respectable. If the Chiefs acquire Pennington, Damon Huard would be shown the door. Aug. 7 - 8:05 pm et
Source: Miami Herald

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 09:50 PM
With Herm...and what Herm wants to do...all we need is a dominant defense and a Jeff Garcia and we can win a Super Bowl...

I call Bullshit....

Herm might want to get to 11 wins on a season before he magically learns enought to coach a team to a super bowl victory...

As long as I am alive, Martha nor Herm will every sniff a superbowl victory.

Farzin
08-07-2008, 10:09 PM
That article never stated that the Chiefs are actually interested. I'll believe it til I hear a comment from the Chiefs themselves.

BigRock
08-07-2008, 10:11 PM
As long as I am alive, Martha nor Herm will every sniff a superbowl victory.

Then do everyone a favor. END IT.