PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Jets Release QB Chad Pennington

08-07-2008, 02:11 PM
The New York Jets have released quarterback Chad Pennington. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. “I appreciate everything Chad Pennington has given to the Jets organization,” Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said. “He was a part of my first draft as an owner in 2000 and has exemplified nothing but class both on and off the field. I wish him, Robin, Luke and Cole my very best.” “I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person and a player,” said Tannenbaum. “We have accomplished a lot of great things with Chad, including winning playoff games, which is very hard to do. He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he has done.”

Pennington (6'3", 225), the 18th overall selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, finished his eight-year Jets career with a regular-season record as a starting QB of 32-29. He ranks first all-time in NFL history in completion percentage (65.6 percent, 1,259-of-1,919). In franchise history, Pennington is first in all-time completion percentage and passer rating (88.9) and fourth in career passing yards (13,738), touchdowns (82), attempts and completions. He led the Jets to the postseason three times, in 2002, 2004 and 2006, winning two playoff games.

LINK (http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/2333-jets-release-qb-chad-pennington)

PBJPBJPBJPBJPBJPBJPBJ

Bowser
08-07-2008, 02:12 PM
Watch him go to the Dolphins and sweep the J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS this year. :D

08-07-2008, 02:13 PM
I would love to see a Chad/Herm reunion. just the thought of The Talking Can getting ass raped is just unbearable.

08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Watch him go to the Dolphins and sweep the J-E-T-S JETSJETSJETS this year. :D

I would love to see him go there too!!

I haven't been this fired up for opening day since 1999. and we all know what happened that day. :(

Stinger
08-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Did Gunther Fan's uncle get credit for breaking this story to the NY Jets?.

jAZ
08-07-2008, 02:15 PM
Makes too much sense for us (depth, experience, competition), for him to ever end up here.

Mr. Plow
I would love to see a Chad/Herm reunion. just the thought of The Talking Can getting ass raped is just unbearable.

Shut your mouth.

teedubya
heh, i was getting ready to post this.

http://www.newyorkjets.com/image_assets/5/transactions.gif?1155134878

Jets Release QB Chad Pennington

Published: 08-07-08
http://www.newyorkjets.com/image_assets/2091/pr-mic-small.jpg?1160069518 (http://www.newyorkjets.com/news_author/articles_of_reporter?author_id=2)
By Jets PR Department (http://www.newyorkjets.com/news_author/articles_of_reporter?author_id=2)
Regular Contributor

change font (javascript:toggle_font_size();) email article (javascript:popUp('/email_article/sendform?email_article_form%5Barticle_id%5D=2333-jets-release-qb-chad-pennington',300))

The New York Jets have released quarterback Chad Pennington. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum.
“I appreciate everything Chad Pennington has given to the Jets organization,” Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said. “He was a part of my first draft as an owner in 2000 and has exemplified nothing but class both on and off the field. I wish him, Robin, Luke and Cole my very best.”
“I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person and a player,” said Tannenbaum. “We have accomplished a lot of great things with Chad, including winning playoff games, which is very hard to do. He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he has done.”
Pennington (6'3", 225), the 18th overall selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, finished his eight-year Jets career with a regular-season record as a starting QB of 32-29. He ranks first all-time in NFL history in completion percentage (65.6 percent, 1,259-of-1,919).
In franchise history, Pennington is first in all-time completion percentage and passer rating (88.9) and fourth in career passing yards (13,738), touchdowns (82), attempts and completions. He led the Jets to the postseason three times, in 2002, 2004 and 2006, winning two playoff games.

The New York Jets have released quarterback Chad Pennington. The announcement was made by Jets general manager Mike Tannenbaum. “I appreciate everything Chad Pennington has given to the Jets organization,” Jets chairman and CEO Woody Johnson said. “He was a part of my first draft as an owner in 2000 and has exemplified nothing but class both on and off the field. I wish him, Robin, Luke and Cole my very best.” “I have all the respect in the world for Chad as a person and a player,” said Tannenbaum. “We have accomplished a lot of great things with Chad, including winning playoff games, which is very hard to do. He gave his heart and soul to this organization for a long, long time. I really appreciate everything he has done.”

Pennington (6'3", 225), the 18th overall selection in the 2000 NFL Draft, finished his eight-year Jets career with a regular-season record as a starting QB of 32-29. He ranks first all-time in NFL history in completion percentage (65.6 percent, 1,259-of-1,919). In franchise history, Pennington is first in all-time completion percentage and passer rating (88.9) and fourth in career passing yards (13,738), touchdowns (82), attempts and completions. He led the Jets to the postseason three times, in 2002, 2004 and 2006, winning two playoff games.

08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Shut your mouth.

ROFL

teedubya
08-07-2008, 02:16 PM
He ranks first all-time in NFL history in completion percentage (65.6 percent, 1,259-of-1,919).

WTF?

Mr. Plow
08-07-2008, 02:17 PM
ROFL

I know where you live.....well, ok.....I don't. But I can send very very bad internet vibes your way.

the Talking Can
welp, here it comes boys....

say goodbye to our month long "rebuild".....

dorseybowe
He ranks first all-time in NFL history in completion percentage (65.6 percent, 1,259-of-1,919).

WTF?

Herm's wet dream.

Mr. Plow
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM

It was fun while it lasted though.

Frosty
08-07-2008, 02:18 PM

I haven't been this fired up for opening day since 1999. and we all know what happened that day. :(

Uhhhh...http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/6.gif

08-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Uhhhh...http://bestsmileys.com/thinking/6.gif

Testaverde ruptured his Achilles tendon on opening day. (lost for season, season over on opening day)

R&GHomer
08-07-2008, 02:21 PM
I wouldn't mind if they brought him in as a backup, but only as a backup. I don't see it happening though.

StcChief
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM
'phins make sense....but who knows, maybe a ViQueen

Deberg_1990
08-07-2008, 02:24 PM

Truthfully, i think alot hinges on how Thigpen performs tonight.

Chad wouldnt replace Croyle, but he could become the backup. Knowing Croyles injury history, do you think Herm wants to go into the season with a backup QB who sucks?

Thigpen needs to perform well tonight to keep Chad off the Chiefs.

Redrum_69
08-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Its too late

Carl is to hold a press conference at 4:00 today

Pablo
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Testaverde ruptured his Achilles tendon on opening day. (lost for season, season over on opening day)Because we all followed Vinnie Testaturdy so closely and all...

Frosty
08-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Testaverde ruptured his Achilles tendon on opening day. (lost for season, season over on opening day)

Thanks. Not too up on my Jets lore.

Just think - now you have another old QB that is long overdue for a serious injury. :evil:

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 02:28 PM

Chad wouldnt replace Croyle, but he could become the backup. Knowing Croyles injury history, do you think Herm wants to go into the season with a backup QB who sucks?

So your saying IronMan Pennington doenst have an injury history...

Jesus people! How can you be so blind.

Pablo
08-07-2008, 02:30 PM
Knowing Croyles injury history, do you think Herm wants to go into the season with a backup QB who sucks?

Because Pennington doesn't suck and all...

the Talking Can
08-07-2008, 02:31 PM

i wouldn't care about Pennington if it were any other coach but Herm...I'm convinced that Herm and Carl will end up short circuiting our rebuild for a rag armed Vet if they get the chance.....they can't help themselves

they love mediocrity too much....the first time Croyle gets dinged it is back to the same 15 years of nothingness with worthless vet QBs...8-8/9-7....yea..

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 02:32 PM
From Blog:

Evolution of the Chiefs Offense

Herman Edwards has been the coach of KC for the past 2 years, and they have quickly begun to resemble the Jets of previous years, which would be a perfect fit for Chad Pennington. They are no longer a team that goes down the field like they used to, baseing the offense on a running game of Larry Johnson,(now by committee due to Johnson injury), and a controlled passing game focusing on Tony Gonzalez. Current starting quarterback Damon Huard only averages 6.8 yards per pass attempt in this offense, which is in stark contrast to quarterbacks like Tom Brady, who average 9.0 yards per pass attempt. So, leading an offense based on a strong running attack and short, controlled passing. Does that sound like anyone we are all familiar with Jets fans?

Damon Huard Not Setting World on Fire

Although the Chiefs are putting together a run at the division title, Damon Huard is not setting the world ablaze with his statistics. So far, he has thrown for only 8 TDs against 9 INTs, for a meager 79.1 quarterback rating. For a Herman Edwards offense to work, an accurate quarterback, and you can say a lot about Chad Pennington, but he certainly is accurate.

Mentor for Brodie Croyle

Chad Pennington would certainly not be the quarterback of the future for the Kansas City Chiefs. This prediction is a short term solution for the team. That being said, Brodie Croyle needs a mentor going forward. Damon Huard has been around the league for a long time, but primarily as a backup. A young quarterback can learn a great deal from Chad Pennington, who has had his share of playoff experience, including going into Pittsburgh and coming a missed field goal away from leading his team to the AFC championship game. Chad would be a perfect fit as Croyle's mentor.

Pennington's Relationship with Herman Edwards

This is the strongest reason why Chad should end up in KC. It is well documented that while he was in NY, the strength of the relationship between Chad Pennington and his coach, Herman Edwards. Coach took Chad under his wing, had almost a fatherly relationship with him, and Chad found his greatest success under Edwards. It's human nature that when a situation goes wrong, to go to a situation of comfort. Chad and Herman were a perfect fit before, and they would be a perfect fit again.

Chad Pennington can no longer start for the Jets, they cannot go backwards. He is not finished as a starter, however, and Kansas City would be a perfect fit for Chad to finish his career, and mentor another young quarterback.

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 02:46 PM

We got beat by a very mediocre Bears team in Chicago because our HC at the time was borderline retarded?

tomahawk kid
08-07-2008, 02:47 PM
Its too late

Carl is to hold a press conference at 4:00 today

:shake:

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 02:48 PM
i wouldn't care about Pennington if it were any other coach but Herm...I'm convinced that Herm and Carl will end up short circuiting our rebuild for a rag armed Vet if they get the chance.....they can't help themselves

they love mediocrity too much....the first time Croyle gets dinged it is back to the same 15 years of nothingness with worthless vet QBs...8-8/9-7....yea..
ROFL

Sad but VERY TRUE!

RustShack
08-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Pennington throws it short to Bowe, Bowe breaks it! TOUCHDOWN KANSAS CITY!!!

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 02:54 PM
:Lin:

Micjones
08-07-2008, 02:55 PM
Pennington would be a nice addition as a backup QB.
I'm not sure why everyone's so freaked out about the possibility that he could join this team.

If Brodie Croyle truly has "the right stuff" it won't matter if Chad Pennington joins the team or not.

Valiant
08-07-2008, 02:56 PM

That is why I do not want him here..

With Huard and Thigpin here, Croyle will get the whole year to prove himself and grow and find out if he can be a starter in this league.. sans injury..

With Chad here, I have the felling herm will pull the string he Croyle struggles.. If we were contending I would be fine with that, but we are rebuilding and need our young players to learn and grow..

Micjones
08-07-2008, 02:58 PM
Edwards should pull the plug on Croyle if he struggles.
To be given 16 games to prove himself despite his performances is a joke.
Give him 8 games.

KCKID58
08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
We dodge that bullet( no pun intended). Miami showing interest in Pennington...
That would be a perfect fit. A loser to the losers......

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 03:00 PM
Pennington would be a nice addition as a backup QB.
I'm not sure why everyone's so freaked out about the possibility that he could join this team.

If Brodie Croyle truly has "the right stuff" it won't matter if Chad Pennington joins the team or not.

Because people like you will start calling for Croyle's head when Tony G drops a pass in practice. Thats way its a bad idea!

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 03:01 PM
Edwards should pull the plug on Croyle if he struggles.
To be given 16 games to prove himself despite his performances is a joke.
Give him 8 games.

Oh jesus not this shit again!

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2008, 03:02 PM
Because people like you will start calling for Croyle's head when Tony G drops a pass in practice. Thats why its a bad idea!

For once, you and I are in TOTAL agreement.

:D

The Franchise
08-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
The key comparison between Huard and Pennington is this. Does Pen curl up into a ball and take a sack like Capt. Downfield does?

Oh yeah....and is Chad's wife hot?

OnTheWarpath15
08-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Posted via Mobile Device
The key comparison between Huard and Pennington is this. Does Pen curl up into a ball and take a sack like Capt. Downfield does?

Oh yeah....and is Chad's wife hot?

The answer to both questions is NO.

dorseybowe
08-07-2008, 03:10 PM

Ugh! I just threw up in here, people. That's the reality.

little jacob
08-07-2008, 03:12 PM
if we sign pennington i would almost predict that carl and herm will have him starting opening day.

forget the rebuild, the chance for them to take the path of least resistance and hoodwink people into thinking the team might back into a wild card game is too much temptation.

i mean they could have done the youth thing last year. they picked DAMON EFFING HUARD over the young guy last year. pennington is much better than huard, why wouldn't they?

Reerun_KC
08-07-2008, 03:13 PM
if we sign pennington i would almost predict that carl and herm will have him starting opening day.

forget the rebuild, the chance for them to take the path of least resistance and hoodwink people into thinking the team might back into a wild card game is too much temptation.

i mean they could have done the youth thing last year. they picked DAMON EFFING HUARD over the young guy last year. pennington is much better than huard, why wouldn't they?

If they do that, that will be the final straw for all fans except the true fans.

DeepSouth
08-07-2008, 03:31 PM
I hope Brett Favre changes his mind and retires again before reporting to Jets camp.

Buehler445
08-07-2008, 03:38 PM

QFT

Posted via Mobile Device

Anyong Bluth
08-07-2008, 03:55 PM
I say bring him in ONLY if I can get a signed peice of paper from C&H saying he comes in only if Brody is injured.

GIVE THE BASTARD ALL 16 games to fly or die. Who cares if we break his mental outlook if he is sucking. He'll be useless to us eiter way, so let the kid tough it out until a leg is dangling by it's last ligament.