PDA

View Full Version : Poop Tall grass defeats the Chiefs DL

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 05:19 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/738929.html

Chiefs’ Hali isn’t happy with first preseason performance
By KENT BABB
The Kansas City Star

CHICAGO | Tamba Hali felt slow. He couldn’t explain it. He ran and tried to do his normal thing, but his legs weren’t moving the way he wanted them to.

“I don’t know if it was the turf,” Hali said. “The tackle was perfectly waiting for me. I was able to work a couple of moves on him, but I just felt slow. I feel like I’ve got to get a rhythm coming off that side.”

And there it is. Hali admitted Thursday night that something felt different on the right side of the defensive line, that spot Jared Allen used to play before the Chiefs traded him. After they did, they overhauled the line. The Chiefs drafted Glenn Dorsey to play right tackle. The shuffled players here and there and — someone had to replace Allen and his 15½ sacks last year. Hali was the chosen one.

So, in his first game filling Allen’s shadow, Hali said he felt slow. The sacks weren’t coming. He said he’d been “hungry” all offseason for that first sack, and he’d been teased for the previous two weeks in training camp because defensive players aren’t allowed to sack their own quarterback. The Chiefs’ line had its first chance at another passer Thursday, and Chicago Bears quarterbacks Kyle Orton and Rex Grossman were ripe. Problem was, the Chiefs didn’t come close.

“We have one mind-set right now: Get off the ball and cause havoc,” he said. “This is no satisfaction.”

Hali said the Chiefs’ defensive line is still a work in progress. They’re still working out the kinks, with Dorsey healing from a knee sprain and the healthy players trying to settle into their new spots.

Maybe it was the grass that slowed Hali and the other linemen. Or maybe Hali was being too hard on himself, as tackle Tank Tyler said.

“Everybody feels that way,” Tyler said. “It’s the first preseason game. The grass out there is high. They’ve got tall grass, but it’s our first preseason game. We’re going to get better as we go.”

Something felt wrong Thursday night, but Hali said there’s time to fix it.

“As far as the line goes,” Hali said, “we’ve got to make a step.”

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 05:21 AM
we've created 2 problems trying to replace allen.... hali and boone are out of position....don't know why we moved either of them...

KCJohnny
08-08-2008, 05:27 AM
I agree. Moving Hali was a bad idea. It would be better to start that rookie we drafted in 7th(?) rd or convert one of our speed backers to RDE (a la Derrick Thomas). Hali was a stud at LDE.
Of course, we haven't seen the DL with Dorsey in the middle - that should change everyone's game.

Chief Chief
08-08-2008, 06:07 AM
Yeah, that tall grass slowed up everyone including Bears RB Wolfe on his TD catch-and-run.

Color Red
08-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Not terribly obvious in the boxscore, this is probably the main disappointment from opening preseason.

tmax63
08-08-2008, 06:25 AM
Keep it in perspective though. The Chiefs traded their best D player and the main player drafted to pick up the slack didn't play. The D held an inept Bears O to 3 points in the first half and that was on a short field turnover. The starters didn't shine like diamonds but, in general, they did get the job done.

FAX
08-08-2008, 06:37 AM
There were probably chiggers, too. I'm surprised our defensive line was sufficiently brave to take the field at all.

This reminds me of that time that Gun tried to turn DT into a lineman or something. Still, even though moving Tamba may not turn out to be the best idea of all times and we probably should have either started a young guy on the right or found an RDE in FA, he's had plenty of snaps at that position to find out if he can play there.

Haven't we been reading in the camp reports that Albert was holding his own against Tamba? Some people thought that maybe Albert was great - others thought that maybe Tamba wasn't so great. Perhaps it's the latter. When you think back, Tamba had the injury excuse followed immediately by the sophomore slump excuse. Now it's the tall grass excuse. Maybe ... just maybe ... Herm's draft pick isn't all we initially hoped he would turn out to be.

FAX

beach tribe
08-08-2008, 06:40 AM
There were probably chiggers, too. I'm surprised our defensive line was sufficiently brave to take the field at all.

This reminds me of that time that Gun tried to turn DT into a lineman or something. Still, even though moving Tamba may not turn out to be the best idea of all times and we probably should have either started a young guy on the right or found an RDE in FA, he's had plenty of snaps at that position to find out if he can play there.

Haven't we been reading in the camp reports that Albert was holding his own against Tamba? Some people thought that maybe Albert was great - others thought that maybe Tamba wasn't so great. Perhaps it's the latter. When you think back, Tamba had the injury excuse followed immediately by the sophomore slump excuse. Now it's the tall grass excuse. Maybe ... just maybe ... Herm's draft pick isn't all we initially hoped he would turn out to be.

FAX

I remember him being all over the field his rookie season, and i'm still pulling for him, but he's definitely not living up to his draft status, and is approaching that dreaded B word.

the Talking Can
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
Hali is fine for a strong line, but he can't anchor it....he should be your 3rd best DL ideally....

which is why they shouldn't waste time moving him....

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 06:44 AM
I think I saw a quail fly out of that grass. Brodie ran into the locker room to get his rifle, but returned to the field to find that Brian Johnston had caught it with his bare hands and ate it whole.

Buehler445
08-08-2008, 06:45 AM
FYI, you shoot quail with a shotgun. Posted via Mobile Device

alanm
08-08-2008, 07:28 AM
I agree. Moving Hali was a bad idea. It would be better to start that rookie we drafted in 7th(?) rd or convert one of our speed backers to RDE (a la Derrick Thomas). Hali was a stud at LDE.
Of course, we haven't seen the DL with Dorsey in the middle - that should change everyone's game.
Demorrio Williams used to wreck havoc at Nebraska dropping into the RDE spot at times on 2nd and 3rd downs to the tune of 11 1/2 sacks his senior year. Maybe they should try that with him on the left side.

Demonpenz
08-08-2008, 07:35 AM
been saying it since draft day......BBBBBBB

beach tribe
08-08-2008, 07:39 AM

I was about to say.....Croyle must be some marksman.

StcChief
08-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Quail hunting at soldier field in the tall grass ROFL

excuses, excuses, excuses.

Fish
08-08-2008, 08:17 AM

Maybe you do..... Croyle don't need no shotgun though.....

KCJohnny
08-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Demorrio Williams used to wreck havoc at Nebraska dropping into the RDE spot at times on 2nd and 3rd downs to the tune of 11 1/2 sacks his senior year. Maybe they should try that with him on the left side.

I'm there, man. D-Will is a vet and might be a better fit on the speed rush on the QB's blind side. Let Hali stay on his native side.

FAX
08-08-2008, 08:24 AM
Croyle can spit gum and hit a quail in the eye socket from 20 yards.

FAX

Fish
08-08-2008, 08:34 AM
My uncle told me that one time in college, Croyle killed a man playing paper football.... still to this day the paper football is lodged in the wall of Croyle's old dorm room. You can see the dried blood!

http://www.blanklabelshirts.com/catalog/Paperfootball-150.jpg

el borracho
08-08-2008, 09:56 AM
Brodie Croyle can peel a potato from twenty yards just by hating it.

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Whatever. I don't hunt. Never have. You remember on Wedding Crashers when Owen Wilson says, "I don't even know what the fuc* a quail is!" That's me.

el borracho
08-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Oh, and our Dline is a mess. Right now we have a bunch of young guys that we hope are good but we don't have anybody that we know is good. You couldn't honestly call any of our linemen elite at this time. Not Hali, not Turk, not Tank and not even Dorsey until he does it in the pros. Nobody. We are going to get clowned repeatedly until a couple of these guys develop. Doesn't anybody remember last year when teams ran right at Hali?

dorseybowe
08-08-2008, 10:03 AM
That's why we drafted the Big Glenn Dorsement.