PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Test No. 1 For Class of ‘08

Tribal Warfare
08-08-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/test-no-1-for-class-of-08.html#more-799

Test No. 1 For Class of ‘08
August 8, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

For River Falls, Wisconsin

They are the most important draft class in the recent history of the Chiefs franchise and Thursday night in Chicago the Arrowhead Dozen got their first taste of NFL action.

“The guys that played all got tired pretty quickly,” Herm Edwards said. “There was a lot of anxiety there; the first game in the NFL and stuff like that. Now that the first time is behind them, I think they’ll calm down a little bit.”

Here’s a rundown on what these 12 guys did against the Bears and where they stand after Game No. 1:

DT Glenn Dorsey did not play against the Bears due to his knee injury that is now a week old. Dorsey could begin practicing on Monday and still may play next weekend when the Chiefs face the Arizona Cardinals at Arrowhead Stadium.

LT Branden Albert did not play in Chicago due to the foot injury he suffered a week ago. Albert is getting round the clock treatment and is walking around the UW-River Falls campus without the aid of the crutches he drags behind him. But he remains several weeks away from being able to return.

CB Brandon Flowers started against the Bears and Herm Edwards said he did a good job. “He showed immediately just what we thought, the game is not too big for him,” Edwards said. “He was calm and cool.”

RB Jamaal Charles saw plenty of time with the first offense and also returned kickoffs. “He did a good job and that speed he brings to the offense is imporant,” Edwards said. “He’s more patient now and that’s helping him.”

TE Brad Cottam saw plenty of time with the first offense and turned in a mixed performance. “He was very good catching the ball, but his blocking has to improve,” said Edwards. “It’s footwork and fundamentals that he has to work on.”

S DaJuan Morgan turned in a mixed bag as well. “He had some good plays and some bad plays, but he tackled really well and he showed good speed,” Edwards said.

WR Will Franklin worked as the third receiver with the first offense and had a big catch in the opening scoring drive. “I think that game will really help him,” Edwards said. “He’s just got to become more disciplined on his routes.”

CB Brandon Carr saw time as the nickel back on the No. 1 defense. “He was cautious early, but once he got some snaps he did OK,” Edwards said. “He was over at the stadium about 3 o’clock waiting for this game to start. You know, coming out of Division II (Grand Valley State) and all. There was anxiety, but I think he handled it well.”

RT Barry RIchardson “needs more and more work on his technique” said Edwards. “He needs to play and he needs to transfer what he’s learning on the practice field to the game.”

WR-KR Kevin Robinson did not participate as he continues to rehab from June knee surgery. Edwards thinks he’ll be ready to practice next week, when the Chiefs have returned Kansas City for practice.

DE Brian Johnston had some good and some bad. “He was late off the ball, but he showed some signs of being able to put pressure on the quarterback,” Edwards said.

TE Michael Merritt remains unsigned.

Among the 14 college free agents FB Mike Cox was a starter, RB Dantrell Savage was the team’s leading rusher and LBs LeRue Rumph and Wes Dacus saw a lot of playing time. K Connor Barth made all three of his kicks (FG and two PATs.) “I really like the little guy,” Edwards said of Savage.

J Diddy
08-08-2008, 08:01 PM
I wish the football gods would have been with us and we could have had the chance to see our no. 1 draft pick play in the 1st preseason games

usually its a holdout

KCrockaholic
08-08-2008, 10:53 PM
maybe Dorsey is just what we need to get more pass rush. our D-line looks like the biggest hole in this team after last night

KCJohnny
08-09-2008, 03:45 AM
Sounds like Barry Richardson is really a project. I was hoping he could make immediate impact.
Cottam needs to work on his blocking, too. Sounds like we will miss Solari's acumen at coaching the OL.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-09-2008, 05:38 AM
Sounds like Barry Richardson is really a project. I was hoping he could make immediate impact.
Cottam needs to work on his blocking, too. Sounds like we will miss Solari's acumen at coaching the OL.

Yeah, because of all those guys that he developed.

You hand anyone two hall of fame O-lineman and he's gonna seem like a good coach.

Manila-Chief
08-09-2008, 08:47 AM

There's usually a reason players are drafted late? If he would "make an immediate impact" he would have been a first round pick. I hope he has the ability therefore, he can develop into an impact player.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 08:56 AM
Walterfootball thinks Barry should start.

BigChiefFan
08-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Who exactly did Solari develop?

OnTheWarpath15
08-09-2008, 11:35 AM
Who exactly did Solari develop?

Here's a list:

Will Svitek
Jeremy Parquet
Kevin Sampson
Brett Williams
Jordan Black
Alex Sulfsted
Darnell Alford

Just to name a few...

ROFL

FAX
08-09-2008, 11:48 AM
CB Brandon Carr saw time as the nickel back on the No. 1 defense. “He was cautious early, but once he got some snaps he did OK,” Edwards said. “He was over at the stadium about 3 o’clock waiting for this game to start. You know, coming out of Division II (Grand Valley State) and all. There was anxiety, but I think he handled it well.”

I think this is funny. Sometimes, I forget what it must be like for some of these guys to prepare for an appearance in their first NFL game. Butterflies from hell ... and those little bastards are badass with their flaming wings and skull-shaped heads and all.

FAX