PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Turk in, Boone out

BigRock
08-09-2008, 07:09 PM
I have bolded what I feel are three key lines of text.

http://chiefsblog.kansascity.com/?q=node/121

Turk McBride replaced Alfonso Boone as the starting left defensive end in practice today. Coach Herm Edwards stopped short of saying that the change is permanent, but he made it clear the battle is on.

"There are a lot of positions still open on this football team, a lot of competition going on," Edwards said. "We want to make sure we get the guys in the right positions that want to do it the way we want to do it. If you do it that way, you've got a great chyance to play for us."

Edwards had a similar remark when the Chiefs made their recent switch at middle linebacker, replacing Napoleon Harris with Pat Thomas.

Specifically, the Chiefs are upset that Boone was out of position when Chicago's Matt Forte ripped off a nine-yard run on the Bears' second play in Thursday's preseason game.

Boone was at his normal spot as a tackle when the Chiefs went to their nickel defense.

While I find this news to be positive overall, the final sentence there would suggest that Boone didn't play tackle in the base defense. That would make no sense, as it would be sitting him in favor of Ron Edwards.

But this is from Teicher, so I won't disount the possibility that Boone was at tackle all day long and for 3 hours after practice ended.

Hootie
08-09-2008, 07:11 PM
McBride appeared to be our best DE in that game the other day...and that's not a compliment.

J Diddy
08-09-2008, 07:12 PM
I like the idea of boone, dorsey, hali, and turk

Swazey
08-09-2008, 07:13 PM
Turk McBride replaced Alfonso Boone as the starting left defensive end in practice today.

Time for Turk to take the diapers off.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 07:14 PM
Tank and Turk enter the starting the lineup. ROFL

J Diddy
08-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Time for Turk to take the diapers off.

oh snap

turk will be running angry now

Hootie
08-09-2008, 07:18 PM
Tank and Turk enter the starting the lineup. ROFL

that's a good thing, I hope they produce...I don't ever see Turk being a good DE, maybe a rotation guy, but I have hope for Tank.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 07:22 PM
that's a good thing, I hope they produce...I don't ever see Turk being a good DE, maybe a rotation guy, but I have hope for Tank.

Nah, I have high hopes for them. They're just funny dudes. :D

Mecca
08-09-2008, 07:29 PM
Turk McBride isn't exactly made to be a cover 2 end either...

Hammock Parties
08-09-2008, 08:04 PM
While I find this news to be positive overall, the final sentence there would suggest that Boone didn't play tackle in the base defense.

No, it just means Boone is the LDT in the nickel defense. It's been that way since the beginning of camp, with Turk at LDE in the nickel.

In base, Turk will now replace Boone at LDE.

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2008, 08:06 PM
Turk is just a stop gap IMO at DE, next year he should be back as a DT backup. Kind of sucks to blow a second round pick on a backup though, of course Dorsey was a lucky break.

tmax63
08-09-2008, 08:17 PM
If he develops to a 2nd round player from 2nd round potential then I'm sure they'll find a place for him. Even if it's trade bait for someone that the Chiefs need worse.

BigRock
08-09-2008, 08:18 PM
No, it just means Boone is the LDT in the nickel defense. It's been that way since the beginning of camp, with Turk at LDE in the nickel.

In base, Turk will now replace Boone at LDE.

Right, but why put Boone on the bench when the base defense is in? Why only bring him in at DT in the nickle? Move him back inside and bench Ron Edwards in the base defense is what I'm saying.

Hammock Parties
08-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Right, but why put Boone on the bench when the base defense is in? Why only bring him in at DT in the nickle? Move him back inside and bench Ron Edwards in the base defense is what I'm saying.

Apparently the Chiefs believe Ron Edwards is a superior run stopper.

Anyway, Edwards won't play every snap. Boone will rotate in.

Dorsey and Boone in the middle on third downs is going to create some serious havoc.

SBK
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Seems to me Turk would be a better DE in a 3-4, but that could just be me.

Mecca
08-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Ron Edwards is to Tim Krumrie what Jon Mcgraw is to Herm and what Trent Green was to Vermiel....

That's why he's playing.

Hammock Parties
08-09-2008, 08:27 PM
Seems to me Turk would be a better DE in a 3-4, but that could just be me.

It's just you. He's about 275-280 lbs, a tweener to be honest. You want 3-4 DEs about 290-300.

Rain Man
08-09-2008, 08:28 PM
I think Mecca hates Ron Edwards even more than I hate Thurman Thomas.

JohnnyV13
08-10-2008, 02:16 AM
I never liked the Turk McBride pick. I wanted the Chiefs to take Ryan Kalil. I know he's a bit small for Herm's smashmouth run game, but the nfl.com scouting report claimed Kalil has the frame to add about 20lbs.

If we had taken Kalil, our O line would likely be one peice closer in our rebuilding project. McBride looks like a career tweener: not big enough to be a penetrating DT and not fast enough to get around the corner at end.

KcMizzou
08-10-2008, 02:22 AM
I think Mecca hates Ron Edwards even more than I hate Thurman Thomas.Mecca hates everyone on the Chiefs roster.

Rausch
08-10-2008, 02:26 AM
I think Mecca hates Ron Edwards even more than I hate Thurman Thomas.

Let me just go on record as saying Levy is a ****stick.

I hate him. He's responsible for more Chiefs failure than Marty and DV combined.

He reeks of failure.

I'll bet good old Doc 'Vorkian tried to patent his sweat before he died...

teedubya
08-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I never liked the Turk McBride pick. I wanted the Chiefs to take Ryan Kalil. I know he's a bit small for Herm's smashmouth run game, but the nfl.com scouting report claimed Kalil has the frame to add about 20lbs.

If we had taken Kalil, our O line would likely be one peice closer in our rebuilding project. McBride looks like a career tweener: not big enough to be a penetrating DT and not fast enough to get around the corner at end.

Exactly. I created a hate thread for the McBride pick somewhere on draft day 2007. Kalil ALL the way! but NOooOOooooo. ****ing idiots.

KcMizzou
08-10-2008, 02:31 AM
Exactly. I created a hate thread for the McBride pick somewhere on draft day 2007. Kalil ALL the way! but NOooOOooooo. ****ing idiots.I hate the "I'm so much smarter than everyone else" post, but I do love the new avatar.

I'm... conflicted.

Smed1065
08-10-2008, 03:08 AM
Exactly. I created a hate thread for the McBride pick somewhere on draft day 2007. Kalil ALL the way! but NOooOOooooo. ****ing idiots.

I picked all better players than the team did....

Them idiots

kcxiv
08-10-2008, 03:09 AM
Mecca hates everyone on the Chiefs roster.

lol, yep. He didn't get the Debbie Downer nickname here for nothing.

Skyy God
08-10-2008, 09:28 AM

I would have preferred Satale, as he'd likely be a better fit for a power rushing game. But having either would have allowed us to keep Niceswanger at G and keep Jones out of the lineup. Wilkerson vs. McBride is a wash, IMO.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Soooo we have no idea what we want to do with our 2nd round pick from one year ago? Disturbing. That has got to throw a wrench in the Herm-is-a-draft-guru works as does Hali's performance to date and Tank's inability to win a starting job. Three first day picks performing like OFAs- thanks, Herm. Good thing you and Carl are in charge and we're all really looking forward to your work on the Oline. :rolleyes:

teedubya
08-10-2008, 11:28 AM
I hate the "I'm so much smarter than everyone else" post, but I do love the new avatar.

I'm... conflicted.

Well, I've been smarter than the Chiefs at least the times. I was pissed about drafting Siaviiaiiaiii, Kris Wilson, and Turk McBride.

Chiefaholic
08-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Apparently the Chiefs believe Ron Edwards is a superior run stopper.

Anyway, Edwards won't play every snap. Boone will rotate in.

Dorsey and Boone in the middle on third downs is going to create some serious havoc.

Dorsey and almost anybody will create havoc on third downs. Kind of reminds you of a certain DT that benefitted from this in college and drafted #6 overall in the draft. We don't need a Pro Bowl DT to play next to Dorsey. We need a BIG run stuffer and a DE with sufficient speed and power to hit the QB when Dorsey collapses the pocket.

dorseybowe
08-10-2008, 11:57 AM
Well, I've been smarter than the Chiefs at least the times. I was pissed about drafting Siaviiaiiaiii, Kris Wilson, and Turk McBride.

Don't even mention Medlock over Crosby. :cuss:

milkman
08-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Soooo we have no idea what we want to do with our 2nd round pick from one year ago? Disturbing. That has got to throw a wrench in the Herm-is-a-draft-guru works as does Hali's performance to date and Tank's inability to win a starting job. Three first day picks performing like OFAs- thanks, Herm. Good thing you and Carl are in charge and we're all really looking forward to your work on the Oline. :rolleyes:

I'm not here to defend Turk, cause I never liked that pick, but the fact is, D-Linemen take a couple of years to develop.

Justin Tuck didn't do anything for the Giants until last year, his third in the league.

RealSNR
08-10-2008, 01:36 PM
I'm not here to defend Turk, cause I never liked that pick, but the fact is, D-Linemen take a couple of years to develop.

Justin Tuck didn't do anything for the Giants until last year, his third in the league.Exactly.

This year will be good for players like Turk and Tank, I think. At least we'll be able to see if they have what it takes to play in this league.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 02:00 PM

Justin Tuck didn't do anything for the Giants until last year, his third in the league.

I'm not really up on my Giants lore but wasn't Tuck behind Strahan and Umenyiora? In any case, Hali, Turk and Tank have a lot to prove because so far none of them have meritted their respective draft positions.

RealSNR
08-10-2008, 02:32 PM
I'm not really up on my Giants lore but wasn't Tuck behind Strahan and Umenyiora? In any case, Hali, Turk and Tank have a lot to prove because so far none of them have meritted their respective draft positions.I don't think Hali will make a good rush end. If he stayed at the position he had played at for the past two seasons, he'd be doing a lot better I think.

Smed1065
08-10-2008, 02:43 PM
2nd round curse continues.

Messier
08-10-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not really up on my Giants lore but wasn't Tuck behind Strahan and Umenyiora? In any case, Hali, Turk and Tank have a lot to prove because so far none of them have meritted their respective draft positions.

I think Hali is good. He might never be a 15 sack guy, but He led all rookies in sacks his first year, he has a really good motor and I think he'll always be a 7-10 sack guy and a good tackler.

milkman
08-10-2008, 03:59 PM

Yes, Tuck played behind Strahan Umenyoria, but like every team, D-Lineman rotate in, and Tuck saw a lot of action, especially with Strahan in the latter stages of his career.

milkman
08-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I think Hali is good. He might never be a 15 sack guy, but He led all rookies in sacks his first year, he has a really good motor and I think he'll always be a 7-10 sack guy and a good tackler.

Hali is an average player.

I have very little hope he'll ever get to 10 sacks, especially from the right side.

Messier
08-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Hali is an average player.

I have very little hope he'll ever get to 10 sacks, especially from the right side.

You might be right, from the right side. I still think his a quality starter.

go bo
08-10-2008, 04:23 PM
i dunno...

hali may be able to show his stuff with only one man to beat on every passing down...

they can't double team everybody and dorsey will eat two blockers and still collapse the pocket making it easier for hali to use his speed to obliterate opposing qb's...

i think the kid won't "replace" ja but he has tons of talent and he will be a solid player at the least and at times he will be spectacular...

and isn't dj playing the right lb right behind hali?

should be a better environment for them to show their skills...

much better...

CHENZ A!
08-10-2008, 04:29 PM
They put booone on the ticket to the miami game. LMAO They also put colquitt on a ticket. What a bunch of tards

Posted via Mobile Device

dorseybowe
08-10-2008, 04:42 PM
i dunno...

hali may be able to show his stuff with only one man to beat on every passing down...

they can't double team everybody and dorsey will eat two blockers and still collapse the pocket making it easier for hali to use his speed to obliterate opposing qb's...

i think the kid won't "replace" ja but he has tons of talent and he will be a solid player at the least and at times he will be spectacular...

much better...

Hali was slowed by injury last season. The addition of Dorsey will provide much needed help.

dorseybowe
08-10-2008, 04:46 PM
I still don't understand the anger with the d line. Sure, the scrubs were shitty, but that's expected. Only three points allowed in the first half. Good enough for me.

milkman
08-10-2008, 04:54 PM
i dunno...

much better...

Hali is slow. He has no speed to use.

milkman
08-10-2008, 04:56 PM
I still don't understand the anger with the d line. Sure, the scrubs were shitty, but that's expected. Only three points allowed in the first half. Good enough for me.

I'm not angry with the D-Line.

We got what we should have expected.

They simply did not get any pass rush.

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2008, 05:01 PM
I'm not angry with the D-Line.

We got what we should have expected.

They simply did not get any pass rush.

Pretty much.

We can hope that the addition of Dorsey will free up the other 3 a bit more, but they still have to win the one-on-one battles, and I'm not sure that most of them can on a consistent basis.

Based on what I saw on Thursday night, maybe they'd be better off putting Turk out at and and leaving him there. Can't be any worse than Boone, and we are ridiculously thin at the DE position.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
What's with the Hali hate? Hali in his rookie year had 8 sacks. This last year he had 7.5 and he barely missed on probably a half a dozen. **** it, my adopt-a-chief is Hali this year. Eff you haters. My bet is that he provides better run support than JA and gets more sacks than JA this year (despite that he doesn't have the williams on the interior.)

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:02 PM
My bet is that he provides better run support than JA and gets more sacks than JA this year (despite that he doesn't have the williams on the interior.)

Don't bet the farm.

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Pretty much.

We can hope that the addition of Dorsey will free up the other 3 a bit more, but they still have to win the one-on-one battles, and I'm not sure that most of them can on a consistent basis.

Based on what I saw on Thursday night, maybe they'd be better off putting Turk out at and and leaving him there. Can't be any worse than Boone, and we are ridiculously thin at the DE position.

The thing that I noticed is that Bryant Johnston actually did show some ability, but he was just so slow off the snap that he was ineffective.

If the Chiefs can fix that, he does have some potential to grow.

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2008, 05:06 PM
What's with the Hali hate? Hali in his rookie year had 8 sacks. This last year he had 7.5 and he barely missed on probably a half a dozen. **** it, my adopt-a-chief is Hali this year. Eff you haters. My bet is that he provides better run support than JA and gets more sacks than JA this year (despite that he doesn't have the williams on the interior.)

Can't speak for anyone else, but to preface this, I'll say Tamba is one of my favorite players.

However...

I've always expected Tamba to be a 8-10 sack-per-year guy, and so far, he has been.

My biggest concern is that he got those 8-10 with Allen on the other side wreaking havoc. I'm not sure that he can hit that mark now that he is "the man."

Dorsey and Tank are likely going to draw quite a few double-teams, so the ends will have their shots at one-on-one battles that they will HAVE to win when they are presented for this defense to be worth a shit.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:07 PM
The thing that I noticed is that Bryant Johnston actually did show some ability.

Who?

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:09 PM

I like Hali.
I like his motor and desire, but he is what he is.

He's got a quick first step, but has no speed and lacks athleticism.

And what was with his spin move?
He spun, but he hadn't yet engaged the LT.

Did he think it was a dance?
Did he think the LT would fall down laughing and he'd get a free lane to the QB?

It was both sad and funny at the same time.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 05:13 PM
I like Hali.
I like his motor and desire, but he is what he is.

He's got a quick first step, but has no speed and lacks athleticism.

And what was with his spin move?
He spun, but he hadn't yet engaged the LT.

Did he think it was a dance?
Did he think the LT would fall down laughing and he'd get a free lane to the QB?

It was both sad and funny at the same time.

Yea, his 4.75 40-time compared to JA's 5.2 really makes him look slow... :spock:

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:18 PM
It's nice that you're optimistic about Tamba Hali. We're all rooting for him.

But you'd have to be blind to not realize that he had a lackluster training camp and showed almost NOTHING the other night.

The only caveat I'll throw out is that the Bears ran a lot of quick passes. Most of the time Hali didn't have a great chance to get a sack.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 05:19 PM
It's nice that you're optimistic about Tamba Hali. We're all rooting for him.

But you'd have to be blind to not realize that he had a lackluster training camp and showed almost NOTHING the other night.

The only caveat I'll throw out is that the Bears ran a lot of quick passes. Most of the time Hali didn't have a great chance to get a sack.

OMG PRESEASON

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:21 PM
OMG PRESEASON

Jared Allen looked like a beast his first preseason. You could tell he was going to be something if he kept working hard. He stood up and made people notice him.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
No one hates Hali...just like people have this idea that I hate all the Chiefs players I'm just honest about them.

Hali is what he is a solid player but he will never be an elite #1 end, so far I think my thoughts of him coming out of college are true.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:22 PM
Yea, his 4.75 40-time compared to JA's 5.2 really makes him look slow... :spock:

It's not 40 time, it's quickness and closing speed and speed within 10 yards, it's pretty obvious Hali isn't close to Allen in any of those categories.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 05:24 PM

Tamba Hali might be too nice a guy to be a great DE. Honestly, he has the measurables and good work ethic but he doesn't seem to have real passion or drive which is probably why he plays soft. Teams ran right at Hali last year and QBs danced away from him. Defense is about attitude; you want showboats and mean mother-effers on your D and Hali is neither.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:26 PM
Tamba Hali might be too nice a guy to be a great DE. Honestly, he has the measurables and good work ethic but he doesn't seem to have real passion or drive which is probably why he plays soft. Teams ran right at Hali last year and QBs danced away from him. Defense is about attitude; you want showboats and mean mother-effers on your D and Hali is neither.

I personally don't think that's true. He's a nasty ****er. He claws at the ball when the quarterback's on the ground. He has passion and drive in SPADES. That's why he's out there running sprints after practice. He's just not talented enough to be an elite DE.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Ive always heard that JA fell to the 4th not because of talent (People always knew he had it) but because he always had the character issues dating back to high school. Thats why he ended up in a small college.

Hali is a decent end, but hes never going to be JA. Hes a complimentary player who needs a superstar around him to elevate his play.

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2008, 05:27 PM
Ive always heard that JA fell to the 4th not because of talent (People always knew he had it) but because he always had the character issues dating back to high school. Thats why he ended up in a small college.

Hali is a decent end, but hes never going to be JA. Hes a complimentary player who needs a superstar around him to elevate his play.

I would absolutely agree with that assessment.

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I personally don't think that's true. He's a nasty ****er. He claws at the ball when the quarterback's on the ground. He has passion and drive in SPADES. That's why he's out there running sprints after practice. He's just not talented enough to be an elite DE.

I just hate it when I agree with you.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:34 PM

Wasn't that what I said about him before the draft and everyone disagreed, but either way you're correct.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Well, I don't know him personally but based on whatever I have seen and read he doesn't strike me as a "nasty ****er." There is, in my mind, a difference between work ethic and real passion. Running sprints after practice could be either; in Hali's case, I think it is work ethic.

Hali has lived through enough real sh!t to know that football is just football. I'm sure he appreciates the opportunity to play and earn what he earns but I don't believe the Pro Bowl and/ or the Hall of Fame is his top priority. Compare Hali to LJ. LJ is seething with passion, intensely. LJ wants to be the best, he wants to set records and have a Hall of Fame career which is why he trains like an animal in the offseason and comes in to the season looking for mother-effers to knock out. I have no idea why people get down on players like Bowe or LJ for their attitudes. IMO, we need more players like them.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:40 PM
Well, I don't know him personally but based on whatever I have seen and read he doesn't strike me as a "nasty ****er." There is, in my mind, a difference between work ethic and real passion. Running sprints after practice could be either; in Hali's case, I think it is work ethic.

Hali has lived through enough real sh!t to know that football is just football. I'm sure he appreciates the opportunity to play and earn what he earns but I don't believe the Pro Bowl and/ or the Hall of Fame is his top priority. Compare Hali to LJ. LJ is seething with passion, intensely. LJ wants to be the best, he wants to set records and have a Hall of Fame career which is why he trains like an animal in the offseason and comes in to the season looking for mother-effers to knock out. I have no idea why people get down on players like Bowe or LJ for their attitudes. IMO, we need more players like them.

This market loves nice guys, there are a good portion of our fan base that don't like LJ and it has nothing to do with football. If we had alot of players like LJ I could imagine the bitching about how "we're a team of thugs"

el borracho
08-10-2008, 05:43 PM
If we had a lot of players like LJ we would be in the playoffs every year.

Well, we might have to fire Herm first but...

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:44 PM

That's probably true but there would be complaints of us being a thug team....

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
I just don't think Hali is very demonstrative. But he's blood and guts. He'll puke his guts out and come back for more. There's no quit in him.

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:46 PM

I have no problem with the Bowe show, and I could not care any less about LJ as a person, but until he shows that he wants to give every aspect of his job, including blocking, as seriously as he does running the ball, then in my mind he's an overrated dickwad.

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:47 PM

If we had a lot of players like LJ, who only want to do the part of their job that makes the highlights, we'd never get to the playoffs.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 05:51 PM
I just don't think Hali is very demonstrative. But he's blood and guts. He'll puke his guts out and come back for more. There's no quit in him.

You've certainly been closer to him than I but, again, I draw a distinction between work ethic and passion. It seems to me that Hali has one but not the other. I could be wrong. :shrug:

Mecca
08-10-2008, 05:53 PM
There's a difference in Hali's drive and want and Terrell Owens drive and want is the point of this I think.

beach tribe
08-10-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't think Hali will make a good rush end. If he stayed at the position he had played at for the past two seasons, he'd be doing a lot better I think.

Actually teams were game planning to run right at him, and it was working, so basically, if he doesn't atsrt getting to the QB, he's not gonna be shit on either side.

el borracho
Do people really think LJ isn't trying his best to block? I find that hard to believe. I'm not even convinced that LJ is all that much worse at blocking than other RBs. As usual, I could be wrong. :shrug:

Hammock Parties
Do people really think LJ isn't trying his best to block? I find that hard to believe. I'm not even convinced that LJ is all that much worse at blocking than other RBs. As usual, I could be wrong. :shrug:

I'd drink Larry's bathwater and even I can see he's a terrible run blocker.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 05:55 PM
There's a difference in Hali's drive and want and Terrell Owens drive and want is the point of this I think.

Yep.

beach tribe
08-10-2008, 05:56 PM

The difference is that T.O. is more physically gifted than anyone else on the field. Yes, he gives his all, but Hali might too, and not have nearly the same effect.

milkman
08-10-2008, 05:58 PM

I find it hard to believe that a guy with LJs' talent and size can not learn to block at least adequately unless he simply doesn't care.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:01 PM
The difference is that T.O. is more physically gifted than anyone else on the field. Yes, he gives his all, but Hali might too, and not have nearly the same effect.

I agree with you, and many of us said that about Hali coming out of the draft, he was peaked and is what he is, so far it's holding true he has very little upside.

I just don't see how he's gonna get any better, he's physically peaked and knows all the techniques because it's how he has to play, you can't make him grow more physical talent like you can teach a freak who's raw technique.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Whatever, we can revisit after the end of the season when Hali is making the pro-bowl.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:03 PM
Whatever, we can revisit after the end of the season when Hali is making the pro-bowl.

Since only 3 ends make it that will be impossible with who else is in this conference...

Hammock Parties

Your homerism is now exceeding even mine.

el borracho
This is probably about as clear as I can be:

Work ethic is what makes you show up and do your best.

Passion is eating, drinking and breathing something all day and then dreaming about it at night. Passion is not just doing your best but striving to be the best in the league.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Your homerism is now exceeding even mine.

15 sacks. You heard it here first.

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 06:05 PM
Hali spent time last offseason learning mixed martial arts to improve his game, you know. Is that not an indication of his passion?

milkman
08-10-2008, 06:06 PM
Hali spent time last offseason learning mixed martial arts to improve his game, you know. Is that not an indication of his passion?

No.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:07 PM
It goes back to his draft scouting report, no passion in the world is going to change that Hali is a physically maxed out player with no upside, he was very polished and had little upside on draft day.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:07 PM

He's not Mario Williams.

beach tribe
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM
I agree with you, and many of us said that about Hali coming out of the draft, he was peaked and is what he is, so far it's holding true he has very little upside.

I just don't see how he's gonna get any better, he's physically peaked and knows all the techniques because it's how he has to play, you can't make him grow more physical talent like you can teach a freak who's raw technique.

Yeah, and what i said about him being on the left side holds true. Teams game planned to run right at him, and most of the time it worked, with the bigger stronger tackles being on the right. If he doesn't become a good pass rusher, he's gonna be abust. I still think there's hope for him. He may develop some good moves. I'm pulling for him, but my faith is wanning.

dorseybowe
08-10-2008, 06:08 PM

Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:10 PM
Wouldn't surprise me at all.

Well you think we're going 10-6...

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 06:11 PM
Whatever, someone set it up in the casino.

el borracho
08-10-2008, 06:12 PM
It goes back to his draft scouting report, no passion in the world is going to change that Hali is a physically maxed out player with no upside, he was very polished and had little upside on draft day.

Yes, I remember people (you?) saying that. Sadly, it looks like they (you) were correct.

Nightfyre
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
What, did I stutter? A minute ago, it was like a heated football discussion. Now it's as quiet as a church.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Yes, I remember people (you?) saying that. Sadly, it looks like they (you) were correct.

Yea well don't blame me I wanted Cromartie that year.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM

I will bet all of my casino cash on this.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:16 PM

I wish I could bet real money on this one, it's a lock winner.

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Yea well don't blame me I wanted Cromartie that year.

And for the eleventy-billionth time, he was gone when we picked...

OnTheWarpath15
08-10-2008, 06:20 PM

Me too.

Mecca
08-10-2008, 06:20 PM
And for the eleventy-billionth time, he was gone when we picked...

Yes I know, but a good majority of this forum told me Hali was a better pick and said they'd take Hali over Cromartie before that draft....

Ah well best hope now is that Hali can be ok, truthfully we need to draft 2 ends so he can be the 3rd guy that's what he's made for.

BigRock
08-10-2008, 06:27 PM
Yeah, and what i said about him being on the left side holds true. Teams game planned to run right at him, and most of the time it worked, with the bigger stronger tackles being on the right. If he doesn't become a good pass rusher, he's gonna be abust. I still think there's hope for him. He may develop some good moves. I'm pulling for him, but my faith is wanning.

So you're completely discounting the possiblity that Hali might get better at defending the run? Jared Allen used to suck at playing the run, too. He worked at it and got better. There's zero reason to think Hali can't do the same.

Deberg_1990
08-10-2008, 07:11 PM
Yes I know, but a good majority of this forum told me Hali was a better pick and said they'd take Hali over Cromartie before that draft....

Ah well best hope now is that Hali can be ok, truthfully we need to draft 2 ends so he can be the 3rd guy that's what he's made for.

Who would you have taken instead of Hali there? DeMeco Ryans? Hes really the only defensive guy taken after him who has turned out to be better.

beach tribe
08-10-2008, 07:15 PM
So you're completely discounting the possiblity that Hali might get better at defending the run? Jared Allen used to suck at playing the run, too. He worked at it and got better. There's zero reason to think Hali can't do the same.

I'm not saying that. It does sound like it though doesn't it? I think he can improve on both. What I'm saying is that he's gonna have to, to warrant his pick. He is still early in his career, and could very well develop into a very good end. Pas rusher, and run defender. I'm not in the maxed out camp. Just saying that in his current state, he's not doing either particularly well, and needs to improve, or the starting position is gonna have to be upgraded.

I'm holding out hope for Hali. Like I said it's still early in his career. I'm pulling for him.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2008, 08:06 PM
Hali was the freaking 20th pick in the draft. He is a solid #2 DE, fringe #1 which at that spot in the draft you more than likely arent getting a superstar. And compared to some of the stuff behind him, the Chiefs got a pretty good football player.

Messier
08-10-2008, 08:09 PM
Hali was the freaking 20th pick in the draft. He is a solid #2 DE, fringe #1 which at that spot in the draft you more than likely arent getting a superstar. And compared to some of the stuff behind him, the Chiefs got a pretty good football player.

I agree. Hali may never be a pro bowler, but he'll be a dependable player for several years.

chagrin
08-10-2008, 08:20 PM

no doubt - we drafted a ****ing back up in round 2, what a stupid, stupid thing to do.

ChiefsCountry
08-10-2008, 08:26 PM
no doubt - we drafted a ****ing back up in round 2, what a stupid, stupid thing to do.

Actually lucking into Dorsey forced him to the bench.

FAX
08-10-2008, 09:07 PM
An excellent debate on the Hali question, gentlement. Compliments.

I remember when Hali was drafted. Herm said he wanted him because Hali didn't know the meaning of the word, "quit". I think that, at the time, this was true. The problem is, it may have been true because Hali was still taking ESL classes.

I believe that Hali has physical gifts. Remember, he has dealt with some injuries since arriving with the Chiefs. I have no doubt that he has the desire to succeed. Maybe he's just a late bloomer. He may surprise us, yet.

FAX

the Talking Can
08-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Hali is an asset...he just can't be your #1 or #2 guy (of all dt and de)

FAX
08-10-2008, 09:30 PM
That's the way I see it. Hopefully, though, his game will improve over time and there may be ways to accomplish this. According to the camp reports, Hali has excellent speed. If true, Guntherific needs to find ways to get him isolated by running stunts or blitzes or something to take advantage of that ability.

FAX

Mecca
08-10-2008, 09:33 PM
Hali is an asset...he just can't be your #1 or #2 guy (of all dt and de)

Apparently alot don't agree with that when I read things like "fringe #1"

Hammock Parties
08-10-2008, 09:48 PM
According to the camp reports, Hali has excellent speed.

FAX

Huh? What reports?

J Diddy
08-10-2008, 09:57 PM
Huh? What reports?

the ones we read

BigRock
08-11-2008, 05:35 PM
Gretz:

For several plays during the workout the No. 1 defensive line looked like this, from left to right: Turk McBride, Tank Tyler, Glenn Dorsey and Tamba Hali. That foursome had probably a half-dozen snaps, as the Chiefs were easing Dorsey back into full practice work coming off his knee injury.

But it’s a good bet that in coming practices and weeks that group will spend more and more time together. It would be a fairly safe bet to pencil them in as the front four for the season opener in New England.

YES

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2008, 05:45 PM

There are very few rookie defensive lineman that make an immediate impact in the NFL, regardless of draft position.

It's far, far too early to even consider Turk or Tank a bust.

And as far as Hali's concerned, if he's a solid if not spectacular defensive end for the Chiefs for a decade (while accumulating 50-70 sacks during that period), I'd be MORE than satisfied with his selection and career.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Gretz:

YES

That's awesome. It means Tank is making strides and is going to be a major force in run defense this year.

We're going to have a deep defensive tackle rotation such as we haven't seen in years. If we can get ONE defensive end to win one-on-one battles consistently we'll have a very good defense IMO.

A fresh Alfonso Boone in nickel packages is going to reap HUGE dividends.

BigChiefFan
08-11-2008, 07:14 PM
They should have never moved Boone on the outside in the first place. What a cluster**** move.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2008, 07:16 PM
They should have never moved Boone on the outside in the first place. What a cluster**** move.

No, the plan worked perfectly. McBride was motivated as hell and has now claimed the starting left end position.

I think it was a great move.

BigChiefFan
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
No, the plan worked perfectly. McBride was motivated as hell and has now claimed the starting left end position.

I think it was a great move.
Great plan in that regard, shitty plan thinking Boone could become a good DE in the first place. Boone has been our BEST DT the past couple of years, moving him was/is a cluster**** of a move.

Hammock Parties
08-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Great plan in that regard, shitty plan thinking Boone could become a good DE in the first place. Boone has been our BEST DT the past couple of years, moving him was/is a cluster**** of a move.

It's really no big deal.

BigChiefFan
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
It's really no big deal.It would have been had our run defense continued to struggle. Boone is a quality DT, moving him was assinine. Square peg in a round hole type thing.