PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Have you ever performed this action?

Rain Man
08-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Something is bothering me.

I was watching a TV show the other night, and the main character was under stress. A waitress was bringing alcoholic drinks around (it was at a party), and the character grabbed one of them and chugged it, to the delight of the computer-generated laugh track.

Then a bit later, another show was on, and a character on a different TV show was on a plane. The person next to her had a glass of some alcoholic beverage, and the character was nervous about flying, and she grabbed the other person's drink and chugged it down. The laugh track howled.

Now, I think I've seen this type of scene a thousand times on TV. Larry Tate used to do it in the 60s when Darren Stevens would show up at a client presentation with donkey ears. Michael Stivic did it in the 70s when Archie picked on him. Rebecca Howe did it in the 80s when her relationship with Robin Colcord was going south. Those little girl twins did it in the 90s when Bob Saget would tease them about Heath Ledger. And now in the new millennium, it still happens.

I have never seen a single person ever do this in real life. Have you ever been stressed out and ran into the house, poured a stiff drink, and chugged it without saying hello to your loved ones? Have you ever grabbed a drink off of a waiter's tray and chugged it because you were nervous? Have you ever taken a drink from another person and downed it in one swig to calm your nerves? Where does this TV behavior come from?

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 09:02 PM
What is your avatar a picture of?

Rain Man
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM
It's my beach cottage in Madagascar from last month, with an educational message to the Malagasy people.

Here's a blowup.

CHENZ A!
08-09-2008, 09:15 PM
No sounds like they have anxiety disorders or low self esteem those are not good reasons to get your drink on you should get drunk because its fun to get drunk

Posted via Mobile Device

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 10:13 PM
It's my beach cottage in Madagascar from last month, with an educational message to the Malagasy people.

Here's a blowup.

Sweet. How long were you there?

KcMizzou
08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
Meh... alcohol doesn't work that way. Slamming one drink wont calm your nerves much. Slamming several will, though.

Of course, maybe I'm just pickled.

J Diddy
08-09-2008, 10:16 PM
I'd have to say that your poll options are your best ever.

As im chugging my drink i always carry

Rain Man
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Sweet. How long were you there?

Three weeks, split betwixt South Africa and Madagascar. Did you see my photo thread? http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=187037&highlight=madagascar

Predarat
08-09-2008, 11:45 PM
I voted Occasionally. Yes I was at a game and they had a stand where they were making people mixed drinks for like 8 bucks. The stupid lady tending the bar was not watching the liqour and it was not tough to grab. There was this good looking gal I wanted to talk to I saw walking around the concourse and I am a bit shy. So I grabbed one of the bottles and took some swigs. I sat it down and she didn't even notice lol. But it worked, I saw the gal soon after and was able to talk to her because of that swig that I took. We went were there were some empty seats, talked the rest of the game, echanged phone numbers and ended up dating for a few months so I say it worked out great.

Rausch
08-10-2008, 12:01 AM
Daily.

It might just be in my head but the first to hit stomach always seems to relax the sore muscles and sore joints.

Somewhere between 4-6 it's like morphene (I'm guessing, I can't take it.)

Slayer Diablo
08-10-2008, 12:02 AM
Meh... alcohol doesn't work that way. Slamming one drink wont calm your nerves much. Slamming several will, though.

Of course, maybe I'm just pickled.

Some people can keep low enough doses to keep drunkenness cheap...the only problem is that once you do it too much, it costs a fortune to get sloshed.

Rausch
08-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Some people can keep low enough doses to keep drunkenness cheap...the only problem is that once you do it too much, it costs a fortune to get sloshed.

Yeah, I hear that...

DaneMcCloud
08-10-2008, 12:50 AM
I avoid liquids altogether.

My nourishment comes from a specially designed hyperbolic chamber. It's got a sound system set to repeat liberal propaganda so that I can fit in with the Hollywood Elite.

Otherwise, I'd be a beer drinkin', gun totin', obnoxious asshole in a town of sophisticated, wealthy liberals without a clue.

Oh. Wait.

CosmicPal
08-10-2008, 12:52 AM
I'm too drunk to comprehend any of this nonsense.

KcMizzou
08-10-2008, 12:58 AM
I avoid liquids altogether.

My nourishment comes from a specially designed hyperbolic chamber. It's got a sound system set to repeat liberal propaganda so that I can fit in with the Hollywood Elite.

Otherwise, I'd be a beer drinkin', gun totin', obnoxious asshole in a town of sophisticated, wealthy liberals without a clue.

Oh. Wait.LMAO

Nice.

Smed1065
08-10-2008, 02:48 AM
MOP

Matter of perception.

Yes, you are who you are avoiding.

SBK
08-10-2008, 04:02 AM
I don't drink. But when I was on a plane a few months ago on the way to the hospital to visit my brother who had just been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor (same thing as Ted Kennedy) I considered a drink as I didn't want to deal with reality.

But I came to the conclusion that a drink wouldn't change anything so I decided against it.

JimNasium
08-10-2008, 05:13 AM
If I was on a plane that had snakes on it I would try the drinking approach.

JuicesFlowing
08-10-2008, 06:14 AM
I have never been in a situation that required me to chug a drink ... although sometimes I'll slam the last 1/3 of a pint of beer before refilling during a Chiefs game.

Slayer Diablo
08-10-2008, 12:24 PM
If I was on a plane that had snakes on it I would try the drinking approach.

Good point. That reminds me...

I'll change my answer to "If I ever have to watch Snakes on a Plane."

go bo
08-10-2008, 12:35 PM
I don't drink. But when I was on a plane a few months ago on the way to the hospital to visit my brother who had just been diagnosed with a cancerous brain tumor (same thing as Ted Kennedy) I considered a drink as I didn't want to deal with reality.

But I came to the conclusion that a drink wouldn't change anything so I decided against it.sorry to hear about your brother...

i lost my brother to brain tumors years ago, but it still hurts when i think about it...

i hope your brother is able to overcome the cancer and live a long and prosperous life...

either way, our prayers are with him and your family...

go bo
08-10-2008, 12:41 PM
sorry to hear of your brother's illness...

i lost my brother to brain tumors years ago...

and every time i think of him it still hurts...

hope your brother recovers quickly and has a long and prosperous life...

either way, our prayers are with him and your family...

sedated
08-10-2008, 03:46 PM
I came to the conclusion that a drink wouldn't change anything so I decided against it.

pffft.

a wise man once said beer is the cause and solution to all of life's problems.

sedated
08-10-2008, 03:47 PM
giving speeches makes me nervous, so I used to chug liquor before my public speaking class in college.