PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Football Keeper decision: Steven Jax or Brian Westbrook

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 09:07 PM
I'm in a one-player keeper league. You can keep the same player for as long as you would like.

My draft is next week and I'm torn on who to keep.

Westbrook is a stud, as is Jackson, but I'm undecided.

Westy is 28, with an injury history

Jax is 25, with some injury history, but nothing like Westbrook.

If you were in my boat, who do you keep?

Mecca
08-09-2008, 09:08 PM
Jackson is holding out I figure you know that.....and it's getting pretty ugly, Westbrook is alot safer.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 09:19 PM
Jackson is holding out I figure you know that.....and it's getting pretty ugly, Westbrook is alot safer.

I did know that. I'm not too concerned with that. He's not making a fortune under that rookie deal so he'll have to play eventually.

I am leaning toward Westbrook, but wanted to solicit some opinions.

Mecca
08-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I did know that. I'm not too concerned with that. He's not making a fortune under that rookie deal so he'll have to play eventually.

I am leaning toward Westbrook, but wanted to solicit some opinions.

The Rams told him they wouldn't negotiate with a player not at camp, then he said he wasn't showing up without a contract...

He apparently told them he'd sit till week 8 and suit up for the last 8 games to get his year in and hit FA. If they take a hardline stance with him it won't be a pretty year.

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2008, 09:22 PM
I have had both guys, its a tough call - if Jackson is healthy and gets his contract taken care of I would go with him but Westbrook is a safe bet.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Jackson seems primed this year, and Westbrook is in a brutal division. My choice is Jackson.

Mecca
08-09-2008, 09:26 PM
Jackson seems primed this year, and Westbrook is in a brutal division. My choice is Jackson.

What if Jackson continues to hold out? It is a concern....he also played very little last preseason and opened the year very poorly..

This team is also dependant on Orlando Pace who has become injury prone and without him the rest of their offense goes right in the shitter.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 09:30 PM

Brutal how?

Westbrook has done very well against the NFC East.

Valiant
08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm in a one-player keeper league. You can keep the same player for as long as you would like.

My draft is next week and I'm torn on who to keep.

Westbrook is a stud, as is Jackson, but I'm undecided.

Westy is 28, with an injury history

Jax is 25, with some injury history, but nothing like Westbrook.

If you were in my boat, who do you keep?

What is your pick rank??

Valiant
08-09-2008, 09:31 PM
Also is it ppr league???

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
What is your pick rank??

Won't be known until right before the draft. However, I have to have my keeper in the night before.

Whatever one I don't keep, will be the top pick in the draft.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 09:35 PM
Also is it ppr league???

.5 ppr.

Valiant
08-09-2008, 09:41 PM
Won't be known until right before the draft. However, I have to have my keeper in the night before.

Whatever one I don't keep, will be the top pick in the draft.

What??? Does it not matter who wins the league?? If not that is weird..

Valiant
08-09-2008, 09:43 PM
Well this early and me thinking Jackson will not have a huge year with the Rams sucking imp.. I would go with Westbrook.. Especially since Westbrook should get 70 catches..

And then bitch at the league for not having reverse drafting for the leagues previous results..

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 09:47 PM
The NFC West is the weakest division in football. Jackson can slice through those teams like bread. On the other hand, Westbrook plays Dallas, New York, and Washington. All teams with effective to dominating run defenses.

Westbrook's numbers don't compare to Jackson's monster 2006 campaign. Jackson had a strong finish at the end of 2007, and the report out of STL is OC Saunders is utilizing Jackson more than ever.

UteChief
08-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I'd stick with Jackson. Not trying to disagree with anyone but when was the last time someone sat out until week 8 because of their contract? Westbrook always seems to be injured.

CosmicPal
08-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Westbrook just signed a major contract, so you may want to consider that. Some players lose their drive after a big contract signing.

The other thing to look at is their opponents. St. Louis is likely to have an easier schedule than Philly and may even play in a weaker division. Look at the players schedule and see which teams they are playing- one might be playing against a lot of teams who are weaker against the run.

Valiant
08-09-2008, 10:02 PM
The NFC West is the weakest division in football. Jackson can slice through those teams like bread. On the other hand, Westbrook plays Dallas, New York, and Washington. All teams with effective to dominating run defenses.

Westbrook's numbers don't compare to Jackson's monster 2006 campaign. Jackson had a strong finish at the end of 2007, and the report out of STL is OC Saunders is utilizing Jackson more than ever.

This is true, but it depends on Jackson makes the whole season, from holdout to injury.. He has only made one full season.. And I just don't think much of the Rams this year.. Something about the team is missing for success imo..

Chief Chief
08-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Well, for one thing, their fans are missing on gamedays.

But seriously: Keep Jackson.

Mr. Arrowhead
08-09-2008, 10:29 PM
I would Keep Westbrook, i heard the jackson holdout is getting pretty bad. I heard he may not even play this year

Mecca
08-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Westbrook just signed a major contract, so you may want to consider that. Some players lose their drive after a big contract signing.

The other thing to look at is their opponents. St. Louis is likely to have an easier schedule than Philly and may even play in a weaker division. Look at the players schedule and see which teams they are playing- one might be playing against a lot of teams who are weaker against the run.

If Jackson plays he will also have just gotten a contract likely bigger than Westbrooks...

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 10:43 PM
What??? Does it not matter who wins the league?? If not that is weird..

No it doesn't matter who wins the league.

I avoid doing that with leagues to avoid people from tanking at the end and selling off good players for draft position.

If this was a multiple player keeper league, then yes, the draft order would be set from the previous year.

But one player isn't giving anyone an advantage.

Shaid
08-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I's say Westbrook, especially if you're a PPR league. He catches a lot of balls.

CosmicPal
08-09-2008, 10:51 PM
If Jackson plays he will also have just gotten a contract likely bigger than Westbrooks...

That's true. I did overlook that.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 11:03 PM

How can he utilize a guy who won't report to camp?

Westbrook has played against those defenses for years, and tore them up last year.

This decision will likely come down to the very last minute Sunday. It's a good position to be in.

Mecca
08-09-2008, 11:06 PM
In my keeper I get to keep 2 and have Tomlinson and Peterson....I lost with them last year thanks to LT being up and down and Peterson getting hurt.

The Bad Guy
08-09-2008, 11:08 PM
In my keeper I get to keep 2 and have Tomlinson and Peterson....I lost with them last year thanks to LT being up and down and Peterson getting hurt.

Well that pretty much trumps any combination I had.

A few years ago, I had LJ and LT when LJ had 21 TDs.

Rausch
08-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Well that pretty much trumps any combination I had.

A few years ago, I had LJ and LT when LJ had 21 TDs.

ALWAYS draft 2 rookies for every established starter. A HB's greatest production is in his first 5-6 years anyway.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-09-2008, 11:19 PM
I'm kind of in a similar situation as The Bad Guy, except it's not a keeper issue.

I have the third pick in my draft. We all know LT will go one, AP will go two, but who do I pick at three? The two I'm contemplating are Westbrook and Jackson.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 11:20 PM
How can he utilize a guy who won't report to camp?

Westbrook has played against those defenses for years, and tore them up last year.

This decision will likely come down to the very last minute Sunday. It's a good position to be in.
Westbrook is undoubtedly the more consistent option. Barring the holdout, the potential of Jackson for 2008 outweighs the risk. People like to think of Westbrook as a back who makes a lot of catches out the backfield, but two years ago, Jackson caught ninety balls. You'll be OK with either.

Rausch
08-09-2008, 11:23 PM
I'm kind of in a similar situation as The Bad Guy, except it's not a keeper issue.

I have the third pick in my draft. We all know LT will go one, AP will go two, but who do I pick at three? The two I'm contemplating are Westbrook and Jackson.

My natural response would be that there's a huge gap after than and you should go QB.

Problem is most n00b FFL owners keep running leagues that put the SB in week 17 (PAY THE **** ATTENTION AND QUIT DOING THAT!1!:cuss: )

So drafting them means they'll (Brady, Manning, etc) be useless once you hit the SB.

With Harrison hitting the wall there's really only two lock fantasy WR's:

TO
MOSS.

Who else is a lock week to week?

Rausch
08-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Westbrook is undoubtedly the more consistent option. Barring the holdout, the potential of Jackson for 2008 outweighs the risk. People like to think of Westbrook as a back who makes a lot of catches out the backfield, but two years ago, Jackson caught ninety balls. You'll be OK with either.

Westbrook = Fred Taylor.

He's injured more than he's not. Sure, he'll finally put up 1 or 2 years of decent fantasy numbers but I sure as hell wouldn't spend pick 1-8 in the 1st on him.

dorseybowe
08-09-2008, 11:27 PM
I hate that shit, too, Rausch. The league that I created last year had no ****ing playoffs. Best record wins. Simple. No dicking around with teams resting starters and all that bullshit.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-09-2008, 11:28 PM
My natural response would be that there's a huge gap after than and you should go QB.

Problem is most n00b FFL owners keep running leagues that put the SB in week 17 (PAY THE **** ATTENTION AND QUIT DOING THAT!1!:cuss: )

So drafting them means they'll (Brady, Manning, etc) be useless once you hit the SB.

With Harrison hitting the wall there's really only two lock fantasy WR's:

TO
MOSS.

Who else is a lock week to week?

So I should probably go with Brady then?

ChiefsCountry
08-09-2008, 11:32 PM

I had pick #4, and Jackson went 3rd. I took Addai over Westbrook.

wutamess
08-10-2008, 01:26 AM
I'd go with SJ. He's going to be good longer than WB will be. Something keeps telling me that WB is getting older really fast. Might want to look into that. Plus Wb is ALWAYS hurt it seems like. I've never had him on my FFL teams so I may be talking out of my ass.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-10-2008, 01:30 AM
I had pick #4, and Jackson went 3rd. I took Addai over Westbrook.

So I should go with Addai? Should I even consider Brady?

Rausch
08-10-2008, 01:30 AM
So I should probably go with Brady then?

Only if you're in a FFL with me and you have no clue how to draft a HB stable...

Rausch
08-10-2008, 01:34 AM
So I should go with Addai? Should I even consider Brady?

I think the rags hype him (Addai) over his worth.

He's no more than a no 2 (and by 2 I mean he's 3 deep.)

Yes draft Brady, but know he won't be helping you in your SB game. If you draft a brady you must handcuf him with a Garcia/Breese/Bulger type that MUST play week 17.

To me a guy like Palmer has more value because odds are he's playing a full game week 17...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-10-2008, 01:35 AM
Only if you're in a FFL with me and you have no clue how to draft a HB stable...

lol ughhhh

no help BRAD!!! haha jk

Brady is tempting. I mean, hell, he'd probably be more reliable than a lot of the RBs after LT and AP. He had 50 freaking td passes lol

Rausch
08-10-2008, 01:38 AM
lol ughhhh

no help BRAD!!! haha jk

Brady is tempting. I mean, hell, he'd probably be more reliable than a lot of the RBs after LT and AP. He had 50 freaking td passes lol

Absolutely.

IF I pick 4 (round 1) I take Brady/Manning.

But you absolutely have to go QB in or around round 4 as well. There's almost no chance those guys start come week 17. The QB strong approach gives you trade leverage to up your HB's or protect yourself come SB time...

Chiefs Pantalones
08-10-2008, 01:40 AM
Absolutely.

IF I pick 4 (round 1) I take Brady/Manning.

But you absolutely have to go QB in or around round 4 as well. There's almost no chance those guys start come week 17. The QB strong approach gives you trade leverage to up your HB's or protect yourself come SB time...

Sweet deal thanks. Who should I draft in round two or the RBs?

Rausch
08-10-2008, 01:45 AM
Sweet deal thanks. Who should I draft in round two or the RBs?

If you go QB in round 1 you have to believe you know something about the HB's others dont'.

You go QB round 1 you're almost locked to WR due to how many pts the HB's score. You need that double up on TD's if possible.

Also depends on keeper or 1 year league. Yearly draft I go for the younger and established guys. And I'll bet a stud like Barber (Dallas) or ATL's new HB fall.

DaKCMan AP
08-10-2008, 01:46 AM
I'd keep Westy

Rausch
08-10-2008, 01:52 AM
I'd keep Westy

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/images/2007/04/20/crocs.jpg

DaKCMan AP
08-10-2008, 01:54 AM

http://blog.wired.com/underwire/images/2007/04/20/crocs.jpg

no crocs?

The Bad Guy