PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Whitlock - lol chiefs just sellin tickets

Hammock Parties
08-11-2008, 12:11 AM
Worst Whitlock in a long time. Terrible.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/chiefs/story/742495.html

Don’t forget the Chiefs are trying to sell tickets this preseason.

Yeah, they want to rebuild, and they’re prepared to endure the win-loss suffering that goes along with a roster filled with youngsters. But the primary goal this season, like every other season the last 20 years, is to fill the seats at Arrowhead Stadium.

So, in hindsight, it’s not all that shocking that the Chiefs played with more purpose and intensity at Soldier Field than the Chicago Bears in the squads’ exhibition opener.

Now, I’m not going to dwell on KC’s motive, because, no matter the motivation, what happened Thursday night was rather impressive from a Kansas City-Herm Edwards-Chan Gailey perspective.

Someone put the chip back on Larry Johnson’s shoulder. He ran with a confidence and authority that he did not a year ago. His up-field cuts were decisive and swift. His body language was positive. Johnson could not have run any better than he did Thursday night.

It’s impossible to read Johnson’s mind. I hate to speculate on what is driving him this season. Maybe he doesn’t want to be branded as the second coming of Shaun Alexander, the Seattle back who backed off after getting a big contract. Maybe Johnson really does want to be an all-time great and have a long, productive multi-Maybach career.

Whatever, it was wonderful to see Johnson run like Jim Brown again.

Let me add, the run blocking was good, too, especially considering the competition. No one on the line stood out. I’ll need another game to figure out what is going on with KC’s rushing attack. I suspect Gailey’s simplified game plan played a role in the early success. Plus, I’m sure Larry benefited from having a legitimate fullback rather than Kris Wilson or Boomer Grigsby.

Linebacker Derrick Johnson was Larry’s defensive equal. Derrick led the Chiefs with four tackles. He made several nice, one-on-one tackles. He was a force. But D.J. always looks good early in games. He tends to disappear in the second half.

William Franklin and Bobby Sippio were fantastic. The Chiefs would love to see Franklin flourish. He’s a rookie draft pick, and he has the necessary skill set to shine as a slot receiver.

The Chiefs would prefer Sippio, the former Arena League star, not make the team. It’s not personal. He’s just not a Bill Kuharich draft pick. Thankfully, it appears Sippio is going to force his way onto the team and into the lineup. He’s a big, physical receiver with reliable hands. He has a swagger, too. And he can play on special teams.

The Chiefs would prefer Jeff Webb. But he’s no Bobby Sippio.

As for the quarterbacks?

I was unimpressed with Brodie Croyle. He locked on to his primary receiver and never scanned the field. Meanwhile, Damon Huard was very comfortable in his backup role. He’s a perfect No. 2 or 3 quarterback. Huard came in and made the throws you’d expect a veteran quarterback to make.

His ability to look off the safety and deliver the ball to receivers in tight spaces accentuated what I didn’t like in Croyle’s play. I’m not down on Croyle. He’s inexperienced. He’ll develop. Huard can teach him a few things.

At defensive end, I liked the way Alfonso Boone played against the run. He’s stout and can find the football. However, the Chiefs, as expected, didn’t demonstrate much of a pass rush against the Bears.

Overall, I would say there’s no reason for anyone to think what happened in Chicago signals that the Chiefs will win more games than previously anticipated.

What it signals is the Chiefs are going to benefit from having chosen a clear, common-sense direction. The players believe in what Edwards is trying to do. That’s what I saw on Thursday, a sense of purpose. I also saw some good young talent.

I saw reasons to go out to Arrowhead Stadium and monitor the development of players who will help the Chiefs win games in 2009 and 2010.

Good job. The Chiefs sold a few tickets Thursday night.

J Diddy
08-11-2008, 12:17 AM
yeah
that was teh dumb

teedubya
08-11-2008, 12:28 AM
and then from 1:24am to 1:27am, a nice man from KC wasted 3 minutes of his life, never to return.

Mecca
08-11-2008, 12:30 AM
It's pretty much a no shit article but what else is he suppose to write about?

Hammock Parties
08-11-2008, 12:31 AM
I think that Sippio stuff is downright ignorant.

Mecca
08-11-2008, 12:31 AM

Because he doesn't like Jeff Webb?

teedubya
08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Bobby Sippio caught ****ing 57 touchdowns in Arena League AND played defense. He is Bobby ****ing Sippio!

J Diddy
08-11-2008, 12:34 AM
Because he doesn't like Jeff Webb?

because sip stands no chance

Chiefs Pantalones
08-11-2008, 12:37 AM
Wow that is the worst article I've ever read in relation to sports.

TrickyNicky
08-11-2008, 12:53 AM
He's right! DJ completely disappeared in teh 2nd half...

Boris The Great
08-11-2008, 01:23 AM
Totally overblown on LJ. Totally overblown on Sippio. Trying to be critical of Croyle just to be hip. I dont know what game he watched Boone play.

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2008, 01:25 AM
Wow.

JWhit, that sucked.

Sippio? Yeah, right. Over Price, Darling and Franklin? WTF are you smokin?

Additionally, Boone was horrible and has already been replaced.

I have to ask: Did you WATCH the game or just read the stats?

PS - Croyle *may* have looked a receiver but he completed his passes and drove the Chiefs down for a TD against Chicago's vaunted first team defense.

You're gonna bitch about that?

Might as well change your name to Kevin and just shut the **** up.

JuicesFlowing
08-11-2008, 01:32 AM
Whitlock is just selling papers ...

DaneMcCloud
08-11-2008, 01:38 AM

To the blind

Simply Red
08-11-2008, 02:11 AM
c'mon big-sexy, we all know you're better than that.

JuicesFlowing
08-11-2008, 02:22 AM
The idea of an NFL team playing good in preseason to bolster ticket sales is pretty hilarious. Maybe King Carl cares, but I don't think Herm, the coaching staff, or any of the players give a shit about selling tickets. Good joke Whitlock, I'll have to remember this one.

kcxiv
08-11-2008, 02:59 AM
Yeah, this is definitely a half assed article. No one and i mean NO one other then Gretz and WPI are going to give credit to Brodie until he puts together a 300 yard 3 touchdown game.

Warrior5
08-11-2008, 06:25 AM
Lame, uninformed article that lacks credibility.

Re-do.

Que Card QB
08-11-2008, 06:35 AM
Funny, besides the 3 step and fire to Franklin, I saw Croyle look-off all his passes. I thought it was a good sign of progress from last year. Plus the fact he was allowed to audible and actually recognized when it was necessary, and called a time out when the Bears had the perfect D called. They will sell more tickets Saturday, but to suggest that's why the Chiefs played like they did is absurd. Athletes are not motivated by pre-season game ticket sales.

HypnotizedMonkey
08-11-2008, 06:50 AM
so that's what Jim Brown looked like. lol

siberian khatru
08-11-2008, 06:56 AM

"HEY, ADAM TEICHER, HOW DOES MY ASS TASTE?"

Rooster
08-11-2008, 07:16 AM
It sounded like some homer GoChiefs article.

Deberg_1990
08-11-2008, 07:22 AM
The whole "Just selling tickets" angle to this story is just plain dumb.

The Chiefs are not fooling anybody this season. They are what they are: A rebuilding team.

That aside, he does make some interesting points like the Webb over Sippio thing.

The best thing in the whole Column:

"What it signals is the Chiefs are going to benefit from having chosen a clear, common-sense direction. The players believe in what Edwards is trying to do. That’s what I saw on Thursday, a sense of purpose"

I absolutely agree 100%

KCJohnny
08-11-2008, 08:16 AM
I suspect Gailey’s simplified game plan played a role in the early success. Plus, I’m sure Larry benefited from having a legitimate fullback rather than Kris Wilson or Boomer Grigsby.

Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Nothing against Boomer/KW, but the running game (and LJ in paricular) has declined sharply since T-Rich departed for the cool mornings of Minnesota.

Phobia
08-11-2008, 08:33 AM
In. Pile-on in progress. JWhit SUCKS!!!!

DeezNutz
08-11-2008, 08:44 AM
For years JWhit has argued against claims that Carl "only wants to sell tickets." Now this has been the case for 20 years? Weak.

penguinz
08-11-2008, 08:49 AM
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! Nothing against Boomer/KW, but the running game (and LJ in paricular) has declined sharply since T-Rich departed for the cool mornings of Minnesota.WRONG! LJ had his best season under vermeil and T-Rich spent most of his time on the bench. That is why he went to Minn was so he could play in an O that used him.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Yeah, this is definitely a half assed article. No one and i mean NO one other then Gretz and WPI are going to give credit to Brodie until he puts together a 300 yard 3 touchdown game.

...and even then they will say it was because the defense he faced was crappy or something.

Demonpenz
08-11-2008, 09:13 AM
I think he just liked boone because they have the same mobility. I was impressed that croyle didn't get hurt.

StcChief
08-11-2008, 09:30 AM
who buys newspapers these days? :shrug:

blueballs
08-11-2008, 09:41 AM
just trying to sell tickets could lead to some wacky promotions
trying to sell tickets for Titans/Bucs/Saints/Bills/Dolphins
WATCH BRODIE AND THE CHIEFS SHAKE SOME TITS SUNDAY SUNDAY SUNDAY

dorseybowe
08-11-2008, 09:43 AM
So, in hindsight, it’s not all that shocking that the Chiefs played with more purpose and intensity at Soldier Field than the Chicago Bears in the squads’ exhibition opener.

You nailed it, Whitlock. Go bake yourself a cake, fat ass.

Nzoner
08-11-2008, 09:47 AM
just trying to sell tickets could lead to some wacky promotions

Carl Peterson Bobblehead Day

blueballs
08-11-2008, 09:49 AM
GONZO vs SHOCKEY
could work to some degree

R&GHomer
08-11-2008, 10:08 AM
Wow, I don't know what is more surprising. The fact that JW wrote something positive or how inaccurate it is. I'm confused, has the bbq sauce finally went to his head or what.

jidar
08-11-2008, 10:44 AM
Worst Whitlock article ever.

crazycoffey
08-11-2008, 10:47 AM
Someone put the chip back on Larry Johnson’s shoulder...It’s impossible to read Johnson’s mind. I hate to speculate on what is driving him this season. Maybe he doesn’t want to be branded as the second coming of Shaun Alexander, the Seattle back who backed off after getting a big contract. Maybe Johnson really does want to be an all-time great and have a long, productive multi-Maybach career.

Whatever, it was wonderful to see Johnson run like Jim Brown again.

LJ's always said he's wanted to be considered in the group of best of all time, always. We used to see posts about him being a student of the game and really wanting to excel, now the negatives came out from injuries and a bad OC. Whatever twittie...

Let me add, the run blocking was good, too... I suspect Gailey’s simplified game plan played a role in the early success. Plus, I’m sure Larry benefited from having a legitimate fullback rather than Kris Wilson or Boomer Grigsby.

D'uh on both counts....

Linebacker Derrick Johnson was Larry’s defensive equal. Derrick led the Chiefs with four tackles. He made several nice, one-on-one tackles. He was a force. But D.J. always looks good early in games. He tends to disappear in the second half.

Tends to disappear? This is what, just his fourth year?
maybe he was tired the second half of games last year...

William Franklin and Bobby Sippio were fantastic. The Chiefs would love to see Franklin flourish. He’s a rookie draft pick, and he has the necessary skill set to shine as a slot receiver.

The Chiefs would prefer Sippio, the former Arena League star, not make the team. It’s not personal. He’s just not a Bill Kuharich draft pick. Thankfully, it appears Sippio is going to force his way onto the team and into the lineup. He’s a big, physical receiver with reliable hands. He has a swagger, too. And he can play on special teams.

The Chiefs would prefer Jeff Webb. But he’s no Bobby Sippio.

eat your black evil heart out, goatboy. I actually agree with twittie on this one.

As for the quarterbacks?

I was unimpressed with Brodie Croyle. He locked on to his primary receiver and never scanned the field.

Your and idiot... he didn't look perfect, but he didn't do this either, you must be thinking of thigpen.

Meanwhile, Damon Huard was very comfortable in his backup role. He’s a perfect No. 2 or 3 quarterback. Huard came in and made the throws you’d expect a veteran quarterback to make.

His ability to look off the safety and deliver the ball to receivers in tight spaces accentuated what I didn’t like in Croyle’s play. I’m not down on Croyle. He’s inexperienced. He’ll develop. Huard can teach him a few things.

God, please make it stop. Hootie, are you Twitlock?

Overall, I would say there’s no reason for anyone to think what happened in Chicago signals that the Chiefs will win more games than previously anticipated.

What it signals is the Chiefs are going to benefit from having chosen a clear, common-sense direction. The players believe in what Edwards is trying to do. That’s what I saw on Thursday, a sense of purpose. I also saw some good young talent.

:clap:

I saw reasons to go out to Arrowhead Stadium and monitor the development of players who will help the Chiefs win games in 2009 and 2010.

Good job. The Chiefs sold a few tickets Thursday night.

I wouldn't go that far, dipshit.

Old Dog
08-11-2008, 11:28 AM
Worst Whitlock article ever.

and that's saying something

chiefsthisyear
08-11-2008, 01:43 PM
Does he really think that selling tickets motivated the Chiefs pre-season play? If so, he is delusional.