PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you go to a chiropractor?

Bowser
08-11-2008, 01:30 PM
Ever been to one, or known someone that goes to one? There seems to be no middle ground when it comes to chiropractors - either people love them or hate them. Looking for opinions if it would be a good idea or not to see one.

Fish
08-11-2008, 01:33 PM
I view chiropractors on the same level as psychics and carnies.....

Demonpenz
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
great if you want your kids to be autistic

booyaf2
08-11-2008, 01:37 PM
i go when the ol back is completely messed up. To the point i can't turn my head one way or another. They always get me back in line. I've heard people say a massage works just as well though.

gblowfish
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
No, but I played poker with one on Saturday night.

HemiEd
08-11-2008, 01:39 PM
I highly recommend a good one. They have helped me out of pain, several times. In fact, I went this morning, since I was out of kilter.

They are all the same though, would like to have you on a regular basis. I did that for years, screw that. I now go when I feel like I need to.

JuicesFlowing
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Never been to one in my life. But I've never needed one either.

Rooster
08-11-2008, 01:47 PM
I wouldn't go to one but I know people who swear by them.

KCUnited
08-11-2008, 01:52 PM
I tore all 4 ligaments in my right knee 11 years ago. Towards the close of my 2nd year of rehab I developed Sciatica that really shut me down with pain. No physical therapy helped and I couldn't stretch out of it. A buddy of mine was a student at Cleveland Chiropractic so I went to see him for treatment and after a solid 5 weeks of treatment my pain had been managed. I will always recommend a good chiropracter.

CrazyPhuD
08-11-2008, 01:57 PM
While for the most part chiropractor's are relatively harmless, if you let them do neck adjustments you're just a ****ing idiot, unless you don't really like walking.

Personally I probably will never go to them, that said real doctors aren't perfect either with our tendency to over medicate. It's the damned if you do damned if you don't. My general response is just to suck it up and deal, but I've never had chronic pain so I've been lucky.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2008, 01:59 PM
While for the most part chiropractor's are relatively harmless, if you let them do neck adjustments you're just a ****ing idiot, unless you don't really like walking.

Personally I probably will never go to them, that said real doctors aren't perfect either with our tendency to over medicate. It's the damned if you do damned if you don't. My general response is just to suck it up and deal, but I've never had chronic pain so I've been lucky.

Which just goes to show that some of the worst advise you can get is right here at the planet. Unfriggenbelievable.

Iowanian
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
When you have bones that get out of place, get a sting from pinched nerves and sometimes can't turn your head.....and can when you walk out, even if the visit sucks, its worth it.

I've hurt myself enough over the years that I have to go in spurts.....sometimes 6mo-1yr without a visit, sometimes several visits in a couple of month timeframe. When you have enough bones and joints that have been broken and dislocated, you're going to HAVE to go to a cracker at some point. Some things, only get worse when you don't go get the treatment.

It depends on what activity I've been doing.

In short...I go when I have to, and because i have to.

chasedude
08-11-2008, 02:00 PM
I went and saw one once, he was so young he could have been Dougie Howser. He did help me out with my back when I needed to though.

Skip Towne
08-11-2008, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't go to one under any circumstances.

siberian khatru
08-11-2008, 02:03 PM
I wouldn't call them a "GODSEND," but I have gone to chiros when I've thrown my back out and they have helped me a lot. And I previously was a non-believer. However, I was desperate one time and went, everything turned out well, and I've used them since when necessary.

Demonpenz
08-11-2008, 02:07 PM
Which just goes to show that some of the worst advise you can get is right here at the planet. Unfriggenbelievable.

What is your experience. Did you use one after training heavily?

Fire Me Boy!
08-11-2008, 02:11 PM
I don't. My experience is that chiropractors don't fix things, and don't want to. In the very least, they don't want you to think you can do without them.

I've never been to one... and never known someone... that has gone to one twice and they doc has said, "Well, you're done. No need to come back unless it starts hurting again."

I've been to two in my adult life, and both wanted to set up a "maintenance" schedule. Shockingly... once my pain was gone I stopped and haven't had a lick of trouble since, even without weekly "maintenance". That was at least six years ago.

Iowanian
08-11-2008, 02:12 PM
I'd call them a neccessary evil...like a dentist.

blueballs
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
is a happy ending extra

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
My experience is that chiropractors don't fix things, and don't want to.

I've never been to one...

I've been to two in my adult life, and both wanted to set up a "maintenance" schedule. Shockingly... once my pain was gone I stopped and haven't had a lick of trouble since.
LMAO

siberian khatru
08-11-2008, 02:19 PM
I don't. My experience is that chiropractors don't fix things, and don't want to. In the very least, they don't want you to think you can do without them.

I've never been to one... and never known someone... that has gone to one twice and they doc has said, "Well, you're done. No need to come back unless it starts hurting again."

I've been to two in my adult life, and both wanted to set up a "maintenance" schedule. Shockingly... once my pain was gone I stopped and haven't had a lick of trouble since, even without weekly "maintenance". That was at least six years ago.

I think this is correct. That's been my experience. I simply don't go for the maintenance once I'm satisfied that I've been corrected. I went 2-3 years between visits until recently, when my back went out again, severely.

kepp
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
I went at my wife's request one time. She believes in it and I always talked down about it, so I decided to give it a try. I got a basic "checkup". She put me through a "test" to find my structural weaknesses. For the first part of the test she had me lay on my back with my left knee pulled up and then pushed outward on that knee with her other hand on my right hip and told me to try my best to not turn over. Easy...because she had her hand pushing down on my right hip. She then proceeded to do the same thing with my right knee up but WITHOUT her hand on my left hip and...MAGIC...I turned over. From that she deduced that I needed regular adjustments to my right quadri-something-or-another. What a scam. I politely declined when asked to schedule a followup appointment and have never been back. I suppose there are good ones out there that can help people, but I guess its not for me.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2008, 02:20 PM
What is your experience. Did you use one after training heavily?

Every professional athletic team has one now. I'm sure they don't want their people to walk that's why they use them.

With my lifestyle I have had to use them quite a bit and they have really helped me out.

Working with athlete's and in health clubs most of my life I have sent many people to chiropractors. Bottom line is in most cases they can make a huge difference. I have had good one's though, all Palmer West grads.

RibKing67
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
The one my wife and I go to when needed is the only one I know of that does not pitch the maintenance program. He tells us to come back when we need it. I like the honesty and go as needed generally no more than 2ce a year.

Frazod
08-11-2008, 02:25 PM
Yes, but only if needed.

A few years ago I woke up one day unable to turn my head; no idea why, but it sucked. I thought it would get better, but it didn't. The boss sent me home and I went to the chiropractor that afternoon. Now, hearing those wet, ripping, popping sounds coming from your own body is a bit disturbing (actually it's a lot disturbing), but I instantly felt better. I'll go back in a heartbeat rather than be in that sort of pain again.

CrazyPhuD
08-11-2008, 02:30 PM

Pardon me if I don't hard core ROFL...coming from without question the biggest idiot on this board....ROFL....

Truth if want to know what to do ask big daddy...then do the opposite...you'll never go wrong.

Lonewolf Ed
08-11-2008, 02:31 PM
I hurt my back 3 years ago when I was stretching. It felt like someone stabbed me in the lower back with a pencil. My skin felt like I had a sunburn from head to toe, just this constant wave of prickly burning and itching. I lost feeling on the outside of my left thigh, much like the feeling of a foot going to sleep. The doc worked on me and within a week, I could feel my leg again. The sunburn feeling went away after two sessions. I went for over a year, and got down to one session every 6 weeks. I have not gone back in over a year, because I have not needed to. It was well worth every penny.

Stewie
08-11-2008, 02:36 PM
I've been adjusted by an osteopath once and a chiropractor 4-5 times. The osteopath was recommended by my family physician and fixed my totally ****ed up neck.

The chiropractor visits were for upper back problems I get occasionally. The last time was about 5 years ago and I've had no more problems. The chiropractor I go to practices Sacro Occipital techniques. That is, no cracking of bones.

As for being paralyzed or some other tragic consequence from a chiropractor - that's total bullshit. When you're bored, compared malpractice rates of chiropractors vs. family physicians.

Jilly
08-11-2008, 02:38 PM
I've had lower back problems, basically since puberty, and finally went to one about 4 years ago...I haven't had a problem since. I even went to him a while back because my pregnancy was causing an issue with my psiatic (sp?) nerve and it went away the next day. It may just be my chiropractor, but I swear he could fix anything.

CrazyPhuD
08-11-2008, 02:54 PM
So I'll post this once and then I'm out of this because it's just not worth the argument.

They have done countless studies on the effects of chiropractors. Statistically speaking they generally provide no demonstrable benefit. That's not to say some people don't benefit, in fact they do. The problem with pain management is that it's as much a mental game as a real physical symptom case. As a result the placebo effect tends to be high. Whether it's taking a pill or going to a chiropractor, if you believe it should help, it often does even if it shouldn't. The mind has a powerful ability to make you feel better. This is why all new drug tests do double blind tests where some patients are given the real drug and some are given the placebo, without them knowing which they got. Then they compare the number of patients who got better on each. If there is a statistical difference between the two groups then it is likely they drug provided little to no benefit.

This is the question with chiropractors most generally accepted studies have shown little real benefit outside of the placebo effect. The good part is that those studies have also shown little real risk for most of the procedures. For the most part this is to say if a chiropractor helps you, then that's fine go to him. It might only be a placebo effect but so long as there is little risk in damage, the only thing you're risking is money. If your insurance covers it then why not because you might benefit, but the statistics show it's not much better than other techniques.

The one caution is around neck and spine adjustments. While the risk isn't huge, there have been demonstrated cases that have caused stroke, or other damage by over zealous chiropractors. The reality here is it's just not worth the risk of the spine adjustments. If there is little expected gain but risk of serious injury you shouldn't do it. It's one of those cases where while the risk of serious injury may not be huge, the penalty for failure is. If it had a demonstrable benefit that outweighed the risk then fine, but studies haven't shown that.

Too much of this is the result of the placebo effect and that's the biggest problem with any pain management too much of it is in the head and that makes it particularly hard to treat.

38yrsfan
08-11-2008, 02:57 PM
I've visited them before, pinched nerve causing take-your-breath-away pain.

Doctor wanted to do the knife and weeks of rehab/recovery routine - membership must have been due at the country club - moron makes that conclusion after a 15 minute exam and 10 of those minutes were the basic BP, heart rate stuff.

A few sessions of adjustments solved the problem, been over 12 years now.

Like any profession - you have good and bad ones.

Pitt Gorilla
08-11-2008, 03:00 PM
They align your bones properly. What's not to like?

Frazod
08-11-2008, 03:03 PM
I instantly went from major pain and not being able to move my head to full mobility and minor soreness.

How the f#ck is that a "placebo"? :spock:

jidar
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
They make you feel better, people popping your joints for you and massaging you usually will make you feel better. Particularly for pain types that tend to have a high mental stress component, like back pain.
I would recommend a massage parlor though, it feels better and is less silly and cheaper.

Stewie
08-11-2008, 03:06 PM
I instantly went from major pain and not being able to move my head to full mobility and minor soreness.

How the f#ck is that a "placebo"? :spock:

+1

His message was brought to you by the AMA.

Chief Henry
08-11-2008, 03:18 PM
How many of you would go to a mechanic that told you it would take 25 meetings
to fix your car ? I get the feeling bone crushers click on there bank accounts before each consultation.

"uhuh, I've got my truck payment and new swimming pool payment coming up, Yes Mr. Jones, you'll have to come back 15 more times in the next 5 weeks"

I'm just sayn...

Jilly
08-11-2008, 03:20 PM
to fix your car ? I get the feeling bone crushers click on there bank accounts before each consultation.

"uhuh, I've got my truck payment and new swimming pool payment coming up, Yes Mr. Jones, you'll have to come back 15 more times in the next 5 weeks"

I'm just sayn...

mine has never pushed me to come back... I go on my own because I notice the difference

RJ
08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I suffered from back problems for about a dozen years. I visited chiropractors a few times but they never did me any good.....because I never followed their instructions. I'd go for one or two visits, decide I felt better and then stop. Until I visited one who guaranteed me that if I'd come every week for 3 months he would fix my problem. He spoke the truth. That was 20 years ago, I go back maybe once every couple of years for a tune up, just whenever I'm feeling some pain.

Yes, I'd recommend giving it a try but only if you're going to do what is asked of you. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2008, 03:26 PM

I'm just sayn...

Muscle has memory. Some adjustments just need to be put back in. Others like spinal trauma from a car accident that have not been taken care of over a period of time can require a lot of treatments, especially for women. Unfortunately we are not cars. If that was the case I have a couple shoulders I would like to replace right now by Mr. Goodwrench so I could just pick up where I left off.

BIG_DADDY
08-11-2008, 03:27 PM
I suffered from back problems for about a dozen years. I visited chiropractors a few times but they never did me any good.....because I never followed their instructions. I'd go for one or two visits, decide I felt better and then stop. Until I visited one who guaranteed me that if I'd come every week for 3 months he would fix my problem. He spoke the truth. That was 20 years ago, I go back maybe once every couple of years for a tune up, just whenever I'm feeling some pain.

Yes, I'd recommend giving it a try but only if you're going to do what is asked of you. Otherwise, don't waste your money.

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Frazod
08-11-2008, 03:31 PM

I'm just sayn...

This is a good point. I only went back twice and the doctor told me to keep scheduling appointments after I felt fine. Chiropractic wasn't covered by my crappy insurance at the time, and I wasn't going to keep shelling out $75 a pop when I basically felt fine after the first visit.

And $75 is alot of money considering he probably spent about 90 seconds in the room with me. Puts on heating pad; leaves for 20 minutes; comes back in; POP-RIP-CRACK; have a nice day and come back Tuesday!

RJ
08-11-2008, 03:39 PM
This is a good point. I only went back twice and the doctor told me to keep scheduling appointments after I felt fine. Chiropractic wasn't covered by my crappy insurance at the time, and I wasn't going to keep shelling out $75 a pop when I basically felt fine after the first visit.

And $75 is alot of money considering he probably spent about 90 seconds in the room with me. Puts on heating pad; leaves for 20 minutes; comes back in; POP-RIP-CRACK; have a nice day and come back Tuesday!

It takes more than a few visits to set things in place where they should be and then have it all stay in place. But each visit creates more of the memory that BD mentioned. All that POP-RIP-CRACK lessens over time because there's less movement. Or, in other words, it's working.

You're right about the visits being expensive, just like any doctor. That's why I never want to have health insurance that doesn't cover chiropractic.

Friendo
08-11-2008, 03:45 PM
few years back, I was having terrible neck pain. was out on the driving range, and getting tired after hitting a large bucket--struck the artificial turf, and all the impact transferred to my neck. couldn't drive/couldn't sleep--called a pract, and saw her the next am. got an adjustment--BUT, she told me it would do little good because I had been "out of adjustment" for so long if I didn't come back for the prescribed number of treatments. first week--3 visits--2 visits each the following two weeks. that was 20 years ago--neck (3rd cervical vertibra) goes out on me now about 3 to 4 times a year (usually related to stress). I can feel it going out, and so I schedule a visit when I do. you DON'T have to get on the "billing treadmill', but understand: when you've been out of adjustment for a long time, it WILL take more time for your body to "re-set". it works-period--not for all problems, but I guarantee you a good chiropractor will shoot you straight (pun). it's definitely worth a try, but only if you give it a fair shot.

Frazod
08-11-2008, 03:49 PM
It takes more than a few visits to set things in place where they should be and then have it all stay in place. But each visit creates more of the memory that BD mentioned. All that POP-RIP-CRACK lessens over time because there's less movement. Or, in other words, it's working.

You're right about the visits being expensive, just like any doctor. That's why I never want to have health insurance that doesn't cover chiropractic.

Well, I basically felt fine after one visit. Two I didn't mind; three was overkill.

But like I said, I just slept on it wrong (although it hurt like hell and I had never had that happen before nor have I since). But it's not like I was experiencing chronic pain from a severe accident or anything.

ROYC75
08-11-2008, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't go to one under any circumstances.
Here is a true story .......

In the summer of 2005, I was golfing everyday but in Feb. 2006 I was in so much pain from my back and my knees that I needed a walker to move around in the mornings. I hurt so bad, my balance became an issue and was falling at times. All the doctors said, surgery, repair the back, replace both knees , etc. My doctor told me I was physically disabled .

I went to a chiropractor he told me my spine and all joints were out of places that the muscles stopped working full time, they almost became non-factor in my body. The muscles knotted up and stopped working.

Between chiropractic care and massage therapy, I was able to lose the walker within a week. Soon I was out in the yard, doing yard work, playing golf, etc.

I can't over do it cause I get out of adjustment easily, but the pain is less and no surgery so far.

I highly recommend one when one is needed, keeping the spine properly aligned can reward you with many healthful benefits. But like another member has said, go only when you need it, they will continue to have you come more often that you usually need.

ROYC75
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM

Ouch, I have no insurance either, but here it is only $ 25.00 a visit. It just went up to 25, it was 20.00 a visit.

LOCOChief
I like to get my bone popped and then the $2 tic check to top it off.

Skip Towne
Here is a true story .......

In the summer of 2005, I was golfing everyday but in Feb. 2006 I was in so much pain from my back and my knees that I needed a walker to move around in the mornings. I hurt so bad, my balance became an issue and was falling at times. All the doctors said, surgery, repair the back, replace both knees , etc. My doctor told me I was physically disabled .

I went to a chiropractor he told me my spine and all joints were out of places that the muscles stopped working full time, they almost became non-factor in my body. The muscles knotted up and stopped working.

Between chiropractic care and massage therapy, I was able to lose the walker within a week. Soon I was out in the yard, doing yard work, playing golf, etc.

I can't over do it cause I get out of adjustment easily, but the pain is less and no surgery so far.

I highly recommend one when one is needed, keeping the spine properly aligned can reward you with many healthful benefits. But like another member has said, go only when you need it, they will continue to have you come more often that you usually need.

I'm lucky my bones have always stayed "aligned" I guess. Why can't they prescribe medicine or admit patients to hospitals?

RedandGold
08-11-2008, 04:25 PM
The only time that I have gone to one was after a car accident, and someone else's insurance was paying for it.

My issues were strictly muscular, and the treatment did seem to help to a certain degree; however, I would not spend my own money on one. The level of improvement was certainly disproportionate to the number of treatments that I received.

ROYC75
08-11-2008, 04:28 PM

I'm just sayn...

You need to read up on the body..........

But in reality, if a guy tells you up front it will take X amount of visits, he has his hands out.

My chiropractor told me and showed me my X-rays, he circled all the problems and told me I didn't get lie that over night so don't expect results right away. He told me he was 95% sure he could relieve the pain and get the body to feeling good again.

I was in so much pain I didn't care if I lived or died , IT WAS THAT BAD.

Twyla
08-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, buddy.

1. This is your wife....so stop posting on this site, and get back to work! Do I need to leave you a longer list of things to do?

2. I gave you the name of a GREAT chiropractor. Your insurance covers the visits, AND, when I have gone in for a "check up" and didn't need an adjustment, he didn't charge me for the visit. The biggest complaints here have been about being pressured to come in for maintenance and other unnecessary visits just to waste money. The one I told you to go to won't do that. He never once said anything about a maintenance program. Not only did he not charge for the visits that didn't require an adjustment, but he also said he'd only see me again if I had pain again. Will you believe me now that it has been posted on this web site?

Now, clean the house!

luv
08-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Okay, buddy.

1. This is your wife....so stop posting on this site, and get back to work! Do I need to leave you a longer list of things to do?

2. I gave you the name of a GREAT chiropractor. Your insurance covers the visits, AND, when I have gone in for a "check up" and didn't need an adjustment, he didn't charge me for the visit. The biggest complaints here have been about being pressured to come in for maintenance and other unnecessary visits just to waste money. The one I told you to go to won't do that. He never once said anything about a maintenance program. Not only did he not charge for the visits that didn't require an adjustment, but he also said he'd only see me again if I had pain again. Will you believe me now that it has been posted on this web site?

Now, clean the house!

:clap:

Iowanian
08-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Get back in the kitchen woman...the men are talking.

I've seen the full spectrum of chiros.....I've had full fledged quacks, who tried to talk me into the maintenance, latest gadget and alignment insert for the shoes etc....I've had decent guys who just gripped and ripped what was hurting without alot of TLC(which sucks when you're as sore as I am when I go) and I've had a good friend, who explained everything he intended to do and why.....and I've had 1 that claimed he cure cure everything short of cancer with chiroquacktry.....and the one I go to now, is into some kind of chinese guru shit where he touches your shoulder and his hip, and his other hand bounces around in front of you and he'll tell you you have a tumor without touching you....He's into alternative treatments and herbs and whatnot and is a goofy bastard, but I've seen my brother go in with a dislocated ankle on crutches and walk out.

It doesn't take long....part of 1 visit to know if you're at a good one or a quack.

RJ
08-11-2008, 04:58 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

Like Sidney Deane said....."Listen to the woman"

Jenson71
08-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

LMAO

Skip Towne
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

OK, one post. N00best of n00bs. Whose dupe is this?

Third Eye
08-11-2008, 05:06 PM
I know too many people who have graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic here in St. Louis for me to ever trust a chiropractor.

Skip Towne
08-11-2008, 05:19 PM
I had a buddy who got really sick. He had it all, fever, throwing up, sore everywhere and a terrible cough. Over my objections he went to his chiropractor every day for a week and wasn't far fom death. He looked terrible. He finally went to the doctor and found out he had...................pneumonia. And that quack was still popping bones trying to treat it.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

LMAO LMAO

Get your bitch ass home and make me a pot pie!

Bowser
OK, one post. N00best of n00bs. Whose dupe is this?

I am sorry to say that this is no dupe. LMAO

Hammock Parties
Take some excedrin and nut up you pussies.

Floridafan
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

I'm just sayn...

Do you feel the same way about your Orthodontist when he says your kid will need braces for two yrs and need to come in every two weeks to tighten your braces. Moving a permanent structure like the spine or teeth takes time. Get some information and not moronic opinion before you post.

The ignorance and rampant stupidity on this board is unbelievable.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:24 PM
Son of a bitch. She's been spying on me since 2005. Quick, someone tell me how many times I've said stuff that could possibly get me in trouble!

Friendo
08-11-2008, 07:26 PM
Son of a bitch. She's been spying on me since 2005. Quick, someone tell me how many times I've said stuff that could possibly get me in trouble!

I don't know but keep us updated-this could be good!

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:28 PM
I don't know but keep us updated-this could be good!

You might not be seeing much of me anymore. Heh.

QUICK! Everyone neg rep this Twyla hussy! :D

Floridafan
08-11-2008, 07:34 PM
If you really want to know the power and effectiveness of chiropractic adjustments you can read this.

Chiropractic adjustments, oxidative stress and DNA repair
by Dr. Christopher Kent

There is a growing body of evidence that wellness care provided by doctors of chiropractic may reduce health care costs, improve health behaviors, and enhance patient perceived quality of life. [1,2,3,4] Until recently, however, little was known about how chiropractic adjustments affected the chemistry of biological processes on a cellular level.
In a landmark study published in the Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research, chiropractors collaborating with researchers at the University of Lund found that chiropractic care could influence basic physiological processes affecting oxidative stress and DNA repair. [5] These findings offer a scientific explanation for the positive health benefits reported by patients receiving chiropractic care.
The researchers measured serum thiol levels in 25 patients under short term chiropractic care, and 21 patients under long term chiropractic care. The results were compared to those of a non chiropractic control group of 30 subjects. Long term chiropractic care of two or more years was shown to re establish a normal physiological state independent of age, sex, or nutritional supplements. Symptom free or primary wellness subjects under chiropractic care demonstrated higher mean serum thiol levels than patients with active disease, and produced some values that were higher than normal wellness values in non chiropractic subjects.
Serum thiols are primary antioxidants, and serve as a measure of human health status. The test provides a surrogate estimate of DNA repair enzyme activity, which has been shown to correlate with lifespan and aging.
Going through life, we experience physical, chemical, and emotional dis stress. These stresses affect the function of the nervous system. The investigators hypothesized that these disturbances in nerve function could affect oxidative stress and DNA repair on a cellular level.
Oxidative stress, metabolically generating free radicals, is now a broadly accepted theory of how we age and develop disease. Oxidative stress results in DNA damage, and inhibits DNA repair. DNA repair is the mechanism which fixes the damage caused by environmental impact.
Chiropractors apply spinal adjustments to correct disturbances of nerve function caused be vertebral subluxations. Chiropractic care appears to improve the ability of the body to adapt to stress. Further research is planned to gain additional insights into mechanisms that will ultimately lead to improved clinical outcomes.
The study was a collaborative involving Camgen, Inc. of Victoria, B.C. Canada; Chiropractic Leadership Alliance in Mahwah, NJ; Biomedical Diagnostic Research, LLC in Chesterland, Ohio; and Department of Cell and Molecular Biology of Tumor Immunology, University of Lund, Sweden.
A related pilot study to assess the feasibility of evaluating paraspinal skin temperatures, paraspinal SEMG potentials, and serum thiol levels in patients attending a private chiropractic practice was conducted. Serum thiol levels were measured in a convenience sample of 11 patients who had been under chiropractic care for periods ranging from 99 weeks to 550 weeks. The findings of these examinations were compared with the results of paraspinal thermal and SEMG scans.
In a population of long term chiropractic patients, where paraspinal thermal and SEMG scans were used as criteria for subluxation centered care, serum thiol levels were higher than those found in populations with active disease processes, and compared favorably with the serum thiol levels in healthy subjects.
The study concluded that it is feasible to evaluate paraspinal skin temperatures, paraspinal SEG potentials, and serum thiol levels in patients in a private chiropractic practice. A prospective study, tracking changes in these parameters throughout a course of chiropractic care should be undertaken.
Research into basic cellular processes common to human adaptive mechanisms, and chiropractic care, are immensely rich with clinical promise. Such studies hold the potential of explaining the neurobiological basis for the favorable effects of chiropractic care on specific health issues, and general well being.
References
1. Blanks RHI, Schuster TL, Dobson M: "A retrospective assessment of Network care using a survey of self reported health, wellness and quality of life." Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research 1997;1(4):15. http://www.jvsr.com
2. Coulter ID, Hurwitz EL, Aronow HU, et al: "Chiropractic patients in a comprehensive home based geriatric assessment, follow up and health promotion program." Topics in Clinical Chiropractic 1996;3(2):46.
3. Rupert RL, Manello D, Sandefur R: "Maintenance care: health promotion services administered to US chiropractic patients aged 65 or older, Part II." Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2000;23(1):10.
4. Hannon SA: "Objective Physiologic Changes and Associated Health Benefits of Chiropractic Adjustments in Asymptomatic Subjects: A Review of the Literature." Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research [April 26, 2004, pp 1 9]. http://www.jvsr.com
5. Campbell CJ, Kent C, Banne A, Amiri A, Pero RW: "Surrogate indication of DNA repair in serum after long term chiropractic intervention a retrospective study." Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research [February 18, 2005, pp 1 5]. http://www.jvsr.com
6. Kent C: "Assessment of DNA repair, autonomic tone, and paraspinal muscle tone in a population of long term chiropractic patients: a pilot study." Conference Abstracts. International Research and Philosophy Symposium. Sherman College of Straight Chiropractic. Spartanburg, SC. October 9 10, 2004. http://www.sherman.edu/edu/research/pdf/IRAPS_abstracts_2004.pdf
(Dr. Christopher Kent, president of the Council on Chiropractic Practice, is a 1973 graduate of Palmer College of Chiropractic. The WCA's "Chiropractic Researcher of the Year" in 1994, and recipient of that honor from the ICA in 1991, he was also named ICA "Chiropractor of the Year" in 1998. He is director of research and a co founder of Chiropractic Leadership Alliance. With Dr. Patrick Gentempo, Jr., Dr. Kent produces a monthly audio series, "On Purpose," covering current events in science, politics and philosophy of vital interest to the practicing chiropractor. For subscription information call 800/892 6463.)
Original Research
Surrogate Indication of DNA Repair in Serum After Long Term Chiropractic Intervention – A Retrospective Study
Clayton J. Campbell Bio, Christopher Kent Bio, Arthur Banne Bio, Amir Amiri Bio, and Ronald W. Pero Bio
[February 18, 2005, pp 1-5]

Objective: To assess the effects of short-term and long-term chiropractic care on serum thiol levels in asymptomatic subjects.
Summary of background data: Serum thiols are a measure of human health status. It is a surrogate estimate of DNA repair enzyme activity, most notably poly ADP – ribose polymerase or PARP. While it is suggested that chiropractic care improves general health, the effect of chiropractic care on serum thiol levels has not been investigated.
Methods: A case controlled retrospective analysis. Serum thiol levels in patients with active disease (N=46) were compared with serum thiol levels in primary wellness subjects with 8-52 weeks of chiropractic care (N=21) and those who had been under chiropractic care for 52-312 weeks (N=25). Patients were age matched to be 40 years of age or older.
Results: There were statistically significant differences in the serum thiol levels of the three groups. Mean serum thiol levels were lowest in patients with active disease as well as patients with initial musculoskeletal complaints. Asymptomatic subjects under chiropractic care demonstrated higher mean serum thiol levels than patients with active disease. Mean serum thiol levels were highest in the group with 52-312 weeks of chiropractic care.
Conclusion: Asymptomatic or primary wellness subjects under chiropractic care demonstrated higher mean serum thiol levels than patients with active disease and produced some values that were higher than normal wellness values.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

To her credit, she has suggested that I go see this guy she sees. He works in a clinic side by side with massage therapists, so once he does his adjustment, he tells you to tell the massage therapist to rub specific places.

:clap:

There will be NO encouraging her. I can't make this clear enough.

Friendo
08-11-2008, 07:43 PM
To her credit, she has suggested that I go see this guy she sees. He works in a clinic side by side with massage therapists, so once he does his adjustment, he tells you to tell the massage therapist to rub specific places.

what is the problem btw?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
Just go to a D.O. Osteopathic manipulation works just as well, plus they are licensed physicians, and your insurance will cover both.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 07:46 PM
what is the problem btw?

I had shoulder surgery three years ago for a torn labrum and a messed up A/C joint. Ever since, I've had massive knots in my back/traps/neck that just don't want to seem to go away. I've gotten a few massages here and there, and they help, but I'm wondering if I've pulled or pinched something along the way on my right side trying to "guard" my left side.

Hog Rider
08-11-2008, 07:51 PM
I started going to one about twenty years after racing and crashing Hogs (XR750). I wish I had gone as a kid. I now go whenever I need a little adjusting in the hip, neck, back, or wrists. I would likely need hip surgery without it. JMHO

and it is now covered by insurance.

Iowanian
08-11-2008, 08:00 PM

I told her not to tell her about this place, IIIowser. now TennDPhottie is going to get you busted when she tells twyla you want to pee in her butt.

sicko.

have some respect for women.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I told her not to tell her about this place, IIIowser. now TennDPhottie is going to get you busted when she tells twyla you want to pee in her butt.

sicko.

have some respect for women.

LMAO LMAO

Seriously, I can't wait for her to break out the power point presentation of all the shit I've said on here that she has an "issue" with. This was my safehouse, dammit!

RJ
08-11-2008, 08:33 PM

You are a man. Everything you say can get you in trouble.

Skip Towne
08-11-2008, 08:37 PM
LMAO LMAO

Seriously, I can't wait for her to break out the power point presentation of all the shit I've said on here that she has an "issue" with. This was my safehouse, dammit!

Have her PM me. I'll show her how to review all of your posts.

Bowser
08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Have her PM me. I'll show her how to review all of your posts.

I'm going to hack her account on put you on ignore.

RJ
08-11-2008, 08:40 PM
Bowser, have you ever posted in the pics forum?

Bowser
08-11-2008, 08:41 PM
Bowser, have you ever posted in the pics forum?

Yeah, but I was only kidding.

luv
08-11-2008, 08:45 PM
LMAO LMAO

I won't tell her what I had to do in order for you to get me a beer. ;)

Bowser
08-11-2008, 08:46 PM
I won't tell her what I had to do in order for you to get me a beer. ;)

I have no recollection of said events, Senator.

RJ
08-11-2008, 08:56 PM
Yeah, but I was only kidding.

Ok, that's good.

All in jest, no recollection and "I made that story up, I was just trying to impress the guys". You can get through this, though you may need to hire a PR firm.

blueballs
08-11-2008, 08:57 PM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=161991&highlight=ball+massage

Skip Towne
08-11-2008, 09:05 PM
I'm going to hack her account on put you on ignore.

Haha I'm just trying to help.

KC Jones
08-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I found one I like - when I throw my back out he'll see me and put it back in. He doesn't push to set up repeat visits. The first time I went he said he thought I might need 3 visits to get me back to working out, but after the second visit he told me he'd done all he could and that I didn't need the 3rd.

So... now you know of at least one chiropractor whose honest and doesn't keep people coming back when they don't need to.

Elwaysux
08-12-2008, 08:32 AM
When I was in high school a kid slid into my knee. We had no doctor in town but a chiropractor in the next town that my dad used so he took me there. The whack job said my hips were out of sync which is why my knee went out. Forget about the 200 pound kid that slid into it.

Jilly
08-12-2008, 09:58 AM
Okay, buddy.

Now, clean the house!

ROFL ummmm..

change usernames...quick!

Fish
08-12-2008, 10:02 AM
If you really want to know the power and effectiveness of chiropractic adjustments you can read this.

Chiropractic adjustments, oxidative stress and DNA repair
by Dr. Christopher Kent

There is a growing body of evidence that wellness care provided by doctors of chiropractic may reduce health care costs, improve health behaviors, and enhance patient perceived quality of life. [1,2,3,4] Until recently, however, little was known about how chiropractic adjustments affected the chemistry of biological processes on a cellular level.
In a landmark study published in the Journal of Vertebral Subluxation Research, chiropractors collaborating with researchers at the University of Lund found that chiropractic care could influence basic physiological processes affecting oxidative stress and DNA repair. [5] These findings offer a scientific explanation for the positive health benefits reported by patients receiving chiropractic care.

Come on... are you really going to throw out subluxation as proof of the power and effectiveness of chiropractic adjustments?

Subluxation is a joke. It's a chiropractic buzzword. There is no proof in the article you posted.

Here's some info on subluxation that isn't actually funded by chiropractors.. but real doctors instead:
http://www.chirobase.org/01General/chirosub.html

CoMoChief
08-12-2008, 10:02 AM
Massages are much better IMO.