PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Diamondbacks Acquire Dunn

Sure-Oz
08-11-2008, 04:53 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news?slug=ap-diamondbacks-dunn&prov=ap&type=lgns
Diamondbacks acquire outfielder Dunn from Reds

3 hours, 6 minutes ago

PHOENIX (AP)—The Arizona Diamondbacks acquired slugging outfielder Adam Dunn from the Cincinnati Reds for a minor-league pitcher and two players to be named later on Monday.

The 28-year-old Dunn was batting .233 this season for the Reds with 32 homers, tied for tops in the majors.

The trade gives the first-place Diamondbacks, who entered the day with a 1 1/2 -game lead over the Dodgers in the NL West, a boost to an anemic offense. The Diamondbacks rank 20th in the majors in runs scored.

Arizona (60-58) tried to acquire Mark Teixeira from the Atlanta Braves at last month’s trade deadline before he went to the Los Angeles Angels.

The Diamondbacks sent right-hander Dallas Buck to the Reds in Monday’s trade.

Dunn has a career .247 batting average with 270 career homers and is eligible for free agency at the end of the season.

The Reds are last in the NL Central and on a six-game losing streak.

The Dunn trade comes after a July 31 deal that sent outfielder Ken Griffey Jr. to the Chicago White Sox for relief pitcher Nick Masset and a Triple-A player. On Sunday, the Reds designated veteran catcher David Ross for assignment and called up catcher Ryan Hanigan from Triple-A Louisville.

Hydrae
08-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Hey, maybe the D-Backs can keep ahead of the Manny led Dodgers after all. At least that is my hope. :D

MIAdragon
08-11-2008, 06:14 PM
Great pick up.

chiefs1111
08-11-2008, 06:15 PM
Hey, maybe the D-Backs can keep ahead of the Manny led Dodgers after all. At least that is my hope. :D

I think he can help a lot but he really needs to cut down on his strike outs.

alanm
08-11-2008, 06:23 PM
I think he can help a lot but he really needs to cut down on his strike outs.
It would seem that all he can do is hit HR's He's hitting .233 with 74 RBI's and 32 taters. 120 strikeouts also.
Preferably you'd like to see a guy like that hitting at least .270

Coach
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
It would seem that all he can do is hit HR's He's hitting .233 with 74 RBI's and 32 taters. 120 strikeouts also.

Sometimes though, batting averages aren't the "key" aspect of Dunn, as his OBP is .373 and his SLG is .528 and his OPS+ is 131.

Unbelieveable.

little jacob
08-11-2008, 06:27 PM
he must have cleared waivers... i guess that shows what the league thinks. although his salary may have been a consideration

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-11-2008, 06:28 PM
Shrewd move by the D'backs. You get two months of Dunn, and two first rounders when he goes FA and turns down arb at the end of the year.

Sure-Oz
08-11-2008, 06:28 PM
I hope the Royals attempt to sign him in the offseason

SithCeNtZ
08-11-2008, 06:36 PM
he must have cleared waivers... i guess that shows what the league thinks. although his salary may have been a consideration

No he was claimed by the Dbacks, he never cleared waivers.

MIAdragon
08-11-2008, 06:37 PM

you left out his 80 BBs

MIAdragon
08-11-2008, 06:38 PM

The Reds are picking up 1/2 of his 4 mil (I think) owed.

Reaper16
08-11-2008, 06:47 PM
I'd love to see Dunn in a Royals uni next year.

BWillie
08-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Naw. On base percentage is startling for a guy with a low average. Adam Dunn is the new breed of power hitter. Strike out a ton, walk, rbi's, home runs. It's money ball. Guys like Dunn, Giambi, and Jack Cust are doing this with success. Guys like Mark Teahen and Alex Gordon are doing it without success.

Only thing that really matters is OBP, RBI's, and OPS. Batting average isn't that important for players like Dunn.

DeezNutz
08-11-2008, 07:39 PM
Shrewd move by the D'backs. You get two months of Dunn, and two first rounders when he goes FA and turns down arb at the end of the year.

Why do you keep stating this? Haven't we determined that it won't cost a team 2 first rounders? One first rounder if it's outside the top 15 if the player is a RFA, right? Teams don't have to "give up" a comp. pick.

Is Dunn a RFA or an UFA?

Personally, I'd hate for the Royals to sign someone who could hit over 36 HR's.

Mecca
08-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Yep his average means nothing because of his walks his OBP is very good.

RJ
08-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Adam Dunn is the ultimate "three true outcomes" player. Home run, strike out or walk. If the Reds don't receive a couple of quality Players to Be Named they will be getting a good hosing. Love this deal for the D-Backs, a team that has really grown on me.

alanm
08-11-2008, 08:42 PM
I hope the Royals attempt to sign him in the offseason
My personal wish would be Matt Holiday but unless he loves it in Colorado we'll probably see him on the Angels or Red Sox or Yankees next year. :spock:

Reaper16
08-11-2008, 09:01 PM
My personal wish would be Matt Holiday but unless he loves it in Colorado we'll probably see him on the Angels or Red Sox or Yankees next year. :spock:
Holliday's home/away splits are a smidge worrying. You know what you're getting with Dunn.