PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Dolphins cut Feely -

nychief
08-12-2008, 10:50 AM
Dolphins cut injured Feely, a year after he set team record

By John Clayton
New Miami Dolphins boss Bill Parcells continues to make changes on the roster, and got younger at kicker by releasing 32-year-old veteran Jay Feely.

Feely
Feely was coming off one of his best seasons, which made his release a surprise. He made 21 of 23 field goals last season, setting a team single-season record for field-goal percentage, and was one of the few bright spots on last year's 1-15 team.

His release opens the door for rookie Dan Carpenter of Montana, a 6-2, 220-pounder who signed with the Dolphins as an undrafted free agent. Carpenter made field goals of 41 and 49 yards in Miami's 17-6 preseason loss to Tampa Bay on Saturday.

Feely is entering his eighth season, having spent his first four years with the Atlanta Falcons, followed by two with the New York Giants.

His accuracy has improved in each of the past three seasons. He made 83.3 percent of his field goals for the Giants in 2005; 85.2 percent for the Giants in 2006; and 91.3 for the Dolphins last year.

Feely has been sidelined with a groin strain that forced him to sit out practice last week and miss the preseason opener. He signed a three-year, $4.6 million contract to join the Dolphins in 2007. As an 80.8 percent career kicker, Feely shouldn't have too much trouble finding a new job.

John Clayton is a senior NFL writer for ESPN.com. Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Frazod
08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
He won't be unemployed long.

nychief
08-12-2008, 10:54 AM
do you think we'll bring him in?

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
If/when he's healthy I wouldn't mind adding him to the competition.

Baby Lee
08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Why do you post this on the interwebs? Herm sez the computers flusterate him. Get on the phone.

blueballs
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
has an ex-dolphin ever had success

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 10:56 AM
What about his kickoffs? Decent?

nychief
08-12-2008, 10:57 AM
when he was in Atlanta he had a huge leg... I have not seen him kick since he was with the giants.

Bowser
08-12-2008, 10:59 AM

Stoyanovich kicked a gmae winner against the Broncos in really cold weather for us once. Other than that, I've got nothing.

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Micjones
08-12-2008, 11:01 AM
Bring him in. Ramp up the level of competition.

DeezNutz
32 isn't too old for a kicker.

Bowser
32 isn't too old for a kicker.

Shit, that's still practically a kid for the kickers we usually have around here.

The Bad Guy
08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
I would imagine the Broncos will be all over him.

32 isn't old at all for a kicker.

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
Andersen was 43 his final year in KC. ****.

blueballs
08-12-2008, 11:04 AM
http://cache.viewimages.com/xc/245388.jpg?v=1&c=ViewImages&k=2&d=17A4AD9FDB9CF1934A2752006EF5F0ED253603FD52337C99284831B75F48EF45

[red-X]

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 11:05 AM
Petro has been claiming since camp started that the Chiefs kicker isn't on the roster yet. Apparently he wasn't too impressed with who is up in River Falls.

Redrum_69
08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Little known fact...

Feely was a roommate and good friends with...

Lin Elliot

Buehler445
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Little known fact...

Lin Elliot

Die.

Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2008, 11:08 AM
Andersen was 43 his final year in KC. ****.

John Carney was 43 last year.

Redrum_69
08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
Die.

Posted via Mobile Device

i hope your mobile device gives you cancer

blueballs
08-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I was hoping for a pic of Damon
Andersen most of bought his way out

DaKCMan AP
08-12-2008, 11:12 AM
I was hoping for a pic of Damon
Andersen most of bought his way out

That's not Andersen.

Buehler445
08-12-2008, 11:13 AM
i hope your mobile device gives you cancer

At least then I won't have to hear about the kicker that shall not be named.

Posted via Mobile Device

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 11:16 AM
John Carney was 43 last year.

Double ****.

Redrum_69
08-12-2008, 11:19 AM
At least then I won't have to hear about the kicker that shall not be named.

Posted via Mobile Device

it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder.it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!...LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder.it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!...LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder.it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!...LACES OUT!!it wasnt Lin Elliots fault. It was the holder....LACES OUT!!

just kidding...actually it was too cold.

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 11:22 AM
You know the team you follow has been dog shit when you're still bantering about a kicker from the mid 90's.

blueballs
08-12-2008, 11:23 AM
Oh no
I have no idea what what's his face even looks like

Sure-Oz
08-12-2008, 11:32 AM
I hope we'd bring him in

rtmike
08-12-2008, 12:36 PM
What about his kickoffs? Decent?

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-66/Feely--never-felt-wanted--despite-record-season.html

...One of the knocks on Feely last year was his kickoff distance, but he often was asked to kick short to prevent the possibility of a long return against the Dolphins' shoddy coverage....

I, too, was curious about his kick off distance. It seems our guys were only getting it to the opponents 15 yard line. When was the last time we had a kicker consistently put it in the end zone?

InChiefsHeaven
08-12-2008, 12:45 PM
Consistently? Good question...

Rooster
08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Little known fact...

Lin Elliot

Poopy Mouth.... :cuss:

blueballs
08-12-2008, 05:55 PM
August 12, 2008 7:45 PM

Posted by ESPN.com's Bill Williamson

RIVER FALLS, WIS. -- Just got back from the Chiefs workout. Had a tremendously productive two days here. I head back to Denver and will check out the Broncos and Cowboys joint practice Wednesday.

Before I head out, here is a Chiefs' evening update:

Coach Herman Edwards addressed the possibility of the Chiefs pursuing kicker Jay Feely who was just cut by Miami. The Chiefs have inexperienced kickers Connor Barth and Nick Novak in camp. Edwards didn't deny the Chiefs will have interest in Feely, but said the team will continue to see what both Barth and Novak can do. In other words, Feely may have to wait.

"We know what he can do," Edwards said of Feely. "Nothing is out of the realm of us getting better."

I talked to someone familiar with Feely's situation this evening and I was led to believe Feely may wait until, at least, after this weekend's games as teams look at what they have in camp.

Like Kansas City, Denver may also show interest in Feely if Matt Prater fails. Prater missed one of four field goals against Houston on Saturday night but he has missed just four field goals all training camp.

Meanwhile, Chiefs top draft pick Glenn Dorsey worked about 10-12 plays Tuesday as he did Monday. He is coming back from a knee injury he suffered Aug. 2. While Edwards hasn't ruled Dorsey out of the Chiefs' home preseason game against Arizona on Saturday, his chances are better of playing Aug. 23 at Miami.

Also, Chiefs quarterback Brodie Croyle praised rookie receiver Will Franklin. The Missouri product is currently winning the No. 2 receiver spot ahead of Devard Darling and Jeff Webb.
Meanwhile, around the AFC West:

The Raiders made a minor roster move and perhaps Champ Bailey's hamstring injury is a good omen in Denver.

Nightfyre
08-12-2008, 06:11 PM
So many people breaking the cardinal rule of chiefs planet. He who must not be named, must not be named.

Chiefshrink
08-12-2008, 06:44 PM
for goodness sakes. Like we "have a choice"???? Damn guarantee you the Broncs will look at him. All of a sudden their boy "Prater" is not all what he was supposed to be from what I hear living here in Denver.

nychief
08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
I am all for the youth movement, but that does not mean we have to have a green kicker. Especially with our offense, we have to be able to count on gimme kicks getting made.

The Bad Guy
08-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Feeley is only 32. He'll kick for 7-8 more years easily.

You have to sign this guy. The Chiefs need automatic points anyway they can get them.

Going with him does not go against any youth movement.

Bowser
08-12-2008, 07:01 PM

You have to sign this guy. The Chiefs need automatic points anyway they can get them.

Yes, yes, and yes.

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 07:57 PM

He'll be with the Chiefs longer than Herm or Carl.

Cormac
08-12-2008, 08:07 PM
Edwards said of Feely. "Nothing is out of the realm of us getting better."

ROFL

Nice vote of confidence there, coach.....

Hoover
08-12-2008, 09:02 PM
I agree we need to nab the guy.

rtmike
08-12-2008, 09:37 PM
And the New York Giants released this guy when they traded for Tynes or was he a free agent? It seems strange teams keep letting him go after productive seasons.

Feeley was a 85% field goal kicker the year before Tynes came in.
Tynes was 77% the same year but yet they went after him over a better % that they already had.

I can't find any stats on Feeley's kick offs'. Why are teams' giving up on him?

booger
08-12-2008, 09:49 PM
I agree we need to make a run at him.

I take Herm's comments that they are interested but herm doesn't want to talk about it much because Feely will have at least 5+ teams looking at him. If he drools publically over Feely and loses out, he has to deal with the current two K's and their reactions to it.

So until Clathan and Nick the Gangly freak can confirm our interest us in the chiefsnation have to hold our breath.

booger
08-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Guess who was the asst. Special teams coach while Feely was a Giant?

Some guy named Mike Priefer.

08-12-2008, 10:26 PM
Stoyanovich kicked a gmae winner against the Broncos in really cold weather for us once. Other than that, I've got nothing.

President Pete Stoyanovich. LMAO Thanks for that one Mitch.

Mecca
08-12-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm sure if any good teams show interest we'll be out of luck on this one.

The Bad Guy
08-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I'm sure if any good teams show interest we'll be out of luck on this one.

I'm not so sure.

The only other team that could use a kicker is the Broncos.

I think the Chiefs have to pounce quick on him if they want him though.

Typically, the good teams have their kickers.

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 10:49 PM
And the New York Giants released this guy when they traded for Tynes or was he a free agent? It seems strange teams keep letting him go after productive seasons.

Tynes was 77% the same year but yet they went after him over a better % that they already had.

rtmike raises a good question here: Why has Feeley been released by so many teams given his FG percentages? Off-the-field issues? Money?

The Bad Guy
08-12-2008, 11:13 PM
rtmike raises a good question here: Why has Feeley been released by so many teams given his FG percentages? Off-the-field issues? Money?

He was a free agent last year when he signed with the Dolphins.

Mecca
08-12-2008, 11:14 PM
The Saints could have some interest....

J Diddy
08-12-2008, 11:17 PM

****ing kicker must be a locker room cancer

starts out all yeah I'll be happy to kick extra points and then all of a sudden, whoa, I'm a star why you give me just 1 point kicks

I want to win the game,bitches, give me the 3 points
They tell me we got to try to score 6 and then 1 and I'm like Parcells you bitch you can take a shot at 6 or get the real deal guaranteed feely field goal
he's like shut up pussy ass kicker and I'm like no i'm a pussy licking kicker ask your mom

then that fat ****, pasta eating, jelly doughnut cut me
It's all good I'm paid don't need to work right now just gonna go chill with bob saget

DeezNutz
08-12-2008, 11:33 PM
He was a free agent last year when he signed with the Dolphins.

Ok. Very good. Thanks.

Nightfyre
08-12-2008, 11:56 PM
****ing kicker must be a locker room cancer

starts out all yeah I'll be happy to kick extra points and then all of a sudden, whoa, I'm a star why you give me just 1 point kicks

I want to win the game,bitches, give me the 3 points

He'll be thrilled to be in KC then, won't he?

bigbucks24
08-13-2008, 12:02 AM

Jay was good on field goals, however his kick off's were average. I don't remember many (any) kickoffs in the end zone. Jay's problems are two fold. First, Jay is a little talkative. He has a tendency to talk a lot to the media with criticisms of the team or front office. He was very vocal about not wanting Ricky Williams back and said that the locker room would never accept him. Bill doesn't like kickers in the first place and sepecially not mouthy kickers. He isn't good for the locker room (not that anyone in the locker room pays attention to a kicker). Secondly, he is hurt and tony Sparano is making a big deal about players being able to play and not hurt. I honestly believe that is why Zach Thomas is gone. He is a hard working, overachiever that Bill would like, but can't stay on the field. He's big on people that are continually get hurt being gone. Put a mouthy kicker that is hurt together with a young kicker in Carpenter that has hit his field goals in practice and the pre-season game, and it spells curtains for Jay. Jay is quoted as saying he was expecting this because his meetings with the FO this offseason have been "edgey".

Nightfyre
08-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Jay was good on field goals, however his kick off's were average. I don't remember many (any) kickoffs in the end zone. Jay's problems are two fold. First, Jay is a little talkative. He has a tendency to talk a lot to the media with criticisms of the team or front office. He was very vocal about not wanting Ricky Williams back and said that the locker room would never accept him. Bill doesn't like kickers in the first place and sepecially not mouthy kickers. He isn't good for the locker room (not that anyone in the locker room pays attention to a kicker). Secondly, he is hurt and tony Sparano is making a big deal about players being able to play and not hurt. I honestly believe that is why Zach Thomas is gone. He is a hard working, overachiever that Bill would like, but can't stay on the field. He's big on people that are continually get hurt being gone. Put a mouthy kicker that is hurt together with a young kicker in Carpenter that has hit his field goals in practice and the pre-season game, and it spells curtains for Jay. Jay is quoted as saying he was expecting this because his meetings with the FO this offseason have been "edgey".
Interesting note, I played peewee football with Dan Carpenter.

bigbucks24
08-13-2008, 12:47 AM
Interesting note, I played peewee football with Dan Carpenter.

The kid's looking good so far. And he's cheaper and quieter than Jay. And he's on the field. Never underestimate the power of a pissed off Tuna.

JuicesFlowing
08-13-2008, 01:44 AM
groin strain for kicker = not good. how long does that take to heal?

Chiefs=Champions
08-13-2008, 01:53 AM

Noob of the year award nomination ;)

RadeAM45
08-13-2008, 02:04 AM
Feely?

Feely?

JUST STANDIN' AROUND Feely?SUCKIN' ON A BIG OL' CHILIDOG!

InChiefsHeaven
08-13-2008, 05:38 AM
Sounds like he can't kick it into the EZ anyway, which makes him no better than our younger guys...

chiefzilla1501
08-15-2008, 07:23 PM
I don't have a problem with Feely. He actually averages about 8-12 touchbacks per year, which is really good for a kicker (Tynes usually averages about 1-2). He's obviously kicked in some tough environments before (kicker 80+% in the windy NFC East). He's got range.

Really, the only thing keeping him from a job is attitude, and I could care less how the guy acts as long as he knows how to kick the ball. Keep in mind that the last two guys to can him were Coughlin and Tuna, two guys who are far more resistant to outspoken players than most coaches are.