PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Q&A with BRODIE CROYLE - 8/12

Tribal Warfare
08-12-2008, 05:51 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/12/qa_with_brodie_croyle__812/

Q&A with BRODIE CROYLE - 8/12
Aug 12, 2008, 3:06:14 PM

Q: You know we’re expecting another 16-play, 80-yard, nine minute drive to start this next game.

BRODIE CROYLE: “Yeah us, too. If you could start off every game like that, you’d probably win a lot of games. So it’s something to shoot for.”

Q: How meaningful was that?

CROYLE: “It was good for us. I think the best thing about it for us was when we got down there and scored a touchdown. That’s something we’ve had trouble with, getting the ball in the end zone. It seemed like we could always drive, we just couldn’t always really get it in. I think scoring the touchdown was just as important as having all the plays and converting the third downs. The touchdown was probably better than any of it.”

Q: Are you pretty happy at where you guys are at this point and time in camp?

CROYLE: “You’re never really happy with where you’re at, but I definitely think we’re a lot better than we were last year at this point. We feel pretty good about where we’re at. But there’s always things you want to improve on. I know there are things that I want to improve on. It’s about getting better every week.”

Q: Is eliminating penalties and sacks a priority for this team next week?

CROYLE: “It is. When you get the ball deep in your own territory, it’s hard enough to make a drive and get out at least far enough that when you switch field position, you can at least go down there and score some points. When you start adding penalties and sacks, that really backs you up. Once you get inside your own 10 that kind of limits the things that you can do. You don’t want to turn the ball over and you don’t want to risk getting a safety. We just need to keep the field position in our favor.”

Q: How are you winning this team over, including the veterans?

CROYLE: “The only way to win them over is to get out there, play well, win football games and prove to them that you’re somebody they can count on. You know we’re not quite as old as we used to be. I’ve got a first-class seat – that tells you how young we are.”

Q: Are you close to where you should be as far as offensive efficiency?

CROYLE: “You know, we’re getting there. We hadn’t really had a day where we were like ‘man, that didn’t look good.’ We’ve gotten better every day. We’ve learned new things every day. He’s (Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey) put us in position to make plays. That’s his whole thing he wants to get us some one-on-ones. Whether it be (RB) Larry (Johnson) with a safety, or a receiver is one-on-one with a DB. That’s all you can ask for in football. He’s getting us in those positions, we’re getting better at making those plays.”

Q: Some of the receivers are young guys out there. How is the transition to the first team going? CROYLE: “It’s going really well. (WR) Will Franklin has had a great camp. He was somebody that we were counting on to really step up and have a big camp for us. He’s our starting slot right now. He came out last week and made the big catch on third-and-long. (WR) Dwayne Bowe is going into his second year, and obviously he’s our go-to-guy. It’s just a matter of all of us getting on the same page.”

Q: Have you and RB Larry Johnson talked about his injury at all? How do you think he’s come back from it?

CROYLE: “He’s come back great. He’s obviously put in the work to get back to where he needs to be. He’s had a great camp. As far as us sitting down and talking about injuries, no.”

Q: How has the camp experience changed as you have moved from rookie to starter?

CROYLE: “Obviously my rookie year was just kind of a blur. And last year with Hard Knocks and battling for a position, you can’t really take hold and grasp it. When the head coach and everyone is on your side and they say it’s your job and they don’t go out and draft a quarterback, they don’t even go out and try to get a veteran. It kind of gives you confidence, and everybody knows you play a lot better when you’re confident. I’m confident in our new offense, confident in our players and I’m confident that we’re going to be a lot better football team than people give us credit for.”

Q: Where is the offensive line at in terms of working in concert?

CROYLE: “They’ve been great. The whole thing is, they wanted them all to play together, the whole camp. Unfortunately that wasn’t possible. (T) Brandon (Albert) got hurt. (T) Herb (Taylor) has really stepped in there and had a really good camp. As much as we talk about them making things easier for us, they’ve made things easier for the offensive line as well. They’ve really showed up and a bunch of young guys have stepped up and have had great camps. I feel very confident just standing back there, going through my reads and not worrying about getting hit.”

Q: Do you feel like this huddle has become yours?

CROYLE: “You have to step into the huddle feeling that way. That’s your job, that’s what everybody’s looking for you to do. With every snap in practice, every snap in the game, I feel it more and more. But you can feel like it’s completely yours until you go out there and earn it. You can do as much as you want during practice and preseason, but we just have to wait for the regular season to get here and go from there.”

Q: Is that the only way you’ll feel like the team is yours, by winning?

CROYLE: “As I said, you have to feel like it’s your huddle. When you step in there and call the play, you have to know what the right tackle is doing, left tackle who they’re going to. If a guy has a question about a route, you have to tell him. Especially with us being as young as we are. Stepping into the huddle feeling like it’s your huddle is definitely different than stepping in feeling like it’s your team.”

Q: How much freedom do you have to change the play at the line?

CROYLE: “I would say out of 16 plays we probably had seven or eight that we had the ability to change it. So that’s eight more than we had all of last season combined.”

Q: How confident are you and your teammates in your ability to change the play at the line?

CROYLE: “It just kind of makes sense. If you go up there and they have eight guys in the box and you only have seven people to block them, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to run the football. That’s where Chan getting us into one-on-ones comes into play, you know, checking to the pass. If they’re playing cover two zone, run the ball at them, that’s your best chance. It’s just kind of stuff that makes sense.”

Q: You called one on the first play didn’t you?

CROYLE: “Yeah, that one didn’t work too good.”

Q: What would be your perfect outing on Saturday?

CROYLE: “Just us go out there and find a way to score some points on the first drive. Then come out there and do it for two, three four, you know, however many series we’re going to have. Don’t have any three-and-outs. That’s something we can’t have. You know, go out there, and put some points on the board. Obviously you want to go out there and score a touchdown every time, but they get paid to play to defense just as much as we get paid to play offense, so it’s not going to happen every time. But if we get better and correct some of the things we had mistakes on against the Bears, we’ll feel like we had a pretty good second preseason game.”

Baby Lee
08-12-2008, 06:04 PM

CROYLE: “I would say out of 16 plays we probably had seven or eight that we had the ability to change it. So that’s eight more than we had all of last season combined.”

Q: How confident are you and your teammates in your ability to change the play at the line?

CROYLE: “It just kind of makes sense. If you go up there and they have eight guys in the box and you only have seven people to block them, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense to run the football. That’s where Chan getting us into one-on-ones comes into play, you know, checking to the pass. If they’re playing cover two zone, run the ball at them, that’s your best chance. It’s just kind of stuff that makes sense.”

Smackdown!!!

petegz28
08-12-2008, 06:05 PM
[QUOTE=Tribal Warfare;4910367]http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2008/08/12/qa_with_brodie_croyle__812/

Q&A with BRODIE CROYLE - 8/12
Aug 12, 2008, 3:06:14 PM

QUOTE]

Nuff said about how bad Solari sucked.

PastorMikH
08-12-2008, 07:13 PM

I was always frustrated with DV/Saunders and their O system for not realizing stuff like this and just forcing things.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2008, 07:16 PM

Gee, could that be why we moved the football that first drive with grace and ease? Yep. lol

CoMoChief
08-12-2008, 07:29 PM
I was always frustrated with DV/Saunders and their O system for not realizing stuff like this and just forcing things.

In NO WAY was our offense at fault for anything during that era.

They did what they had to to win games. Not their fault the defense gave up 24 pts a game.

CoMoChief
08-12-2008, 07:30 PM

Gee, could that be why we moved the football that first drive with grace and ease? Yep. lol

Does grace and ease mean converting on 6 3rd downs? IMO thats waay to much. That means we aren't gaining shit on first down, which is a huge problem.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Does grace and ease mean converting on 6 3rd downs? IMO thats waay to much. That means we aren't gaining shit on first down, which is a huge problem.

True, but we DID convert, and that's just awesome in the NFL to convert on six 3rd downs.

cdcox
08-12-2008, 07:37 PM

Great point, which may show that things aren't that much different from last year in terms of Herm's overall philosophy. On many occasions last year we completed two passes on first and second down and still had to covert a 3rd down situation. Herm thinks it is better to take all 3 downs to make 10 yards than to make 10 yards on one or two plays. Long drives like that are just not sustainable on a regular basis in the NFL. One penalty or sack and you're going to be punting.

Cormac
08-12-2008, 07:45 PM

Are you implying there was a problem with our offense during that era????

I am glad there is an audible system now, but we can only dream of that offense now.....

Mr. Arrowhead
08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
Great point, which may show that things aren't that much different from last year in terms of Herm's overall philosophy. On many occasions last year we completed two passes on first and second down and still had to covert a 3rd down situation. Herm thinks it is better to take all 3 downs to make 10 yards than to make 10 yards on one or two plays. Long drives like that are just not sustainable on a regular basis in the NFL. One penalty or sack and you're going to be punting.
yea tell that to Jacksonville, they do that crap all the time

Fish
08-12-2008, 08:10 PM
One time... a long time ago...... I stood up for Solari.

Please neg rep the hell out of me......

PastorMikH
08-12-2008, 08:17 PM
Are you implying there was a problem with our offense during that era????

I am glad there is an audible system now, but we can only dream of that offense now.....

There were times when it was a struggle - mainly before Roaf got here and after he left. 'Course I think we could have had 12 defenders in the box who knew Priest/LJ was going left and Roaf would still give Priest/LJ enough room to bust one.

cdcox
08-12-2008, 08:33 PM
yea tell that to Jacksonville, they do that crap all the time

Jacksonville's 3rd down coversion efficiency was 45% last year. They aren't going to score many touchdowns on drives where they have to convert 6 consecutive 3rd down situations. If your offensive scheme requires you to covert six 3rd down schemes to score a TD, that tells me you aren't doing a good job on 1st and 2nd down and you are not going to have a good year on offense.

FAX
08-12-2008, 08:37 PM

Good point, Mr. CoMoChief. I haven't watched a tape of that series and, to be honest, I haven't looked up the stats. But, it does seem like we took some shots on first down, though. It's foggy, but I think we did.

I certainly hope that the mysterious and inscrutable Chan doesn't subscribe to Solari's run-on-first-down-no-matter-what theory of footballistics. Now that I think of it, I don't see that happening. The mere fact that Croyle has both the ability and opportunity to audible tells me that we're looking for solid yards on every down.

FAX

FAX
08-12-2008, 08:38 PM
One time... a long time ago...... I stood up for Solari. ...

So did I, Mr. KC Fish. When his promotion was announced, I honestly believed that he could handle the responsibility. Oops.

FAX

Cormac
08-12-2008, 09:36 PM
There were times when it was a struggle - mainly before Roaf got here and after he left. 'Course I think we could have had 12 defenders in the box who knew Priest/LJ was going left and Roaf would still give Priest/LJ enough room to bust one.

Roaf was a man. A true all-time great.

Cormac
08-12-2008, 09:38 PM

I thought so too. Especially after his first season when he Damon Huard (of all people) was the talk of the league. I thought Solari had a lot to do with that. I still primarily blame Herm for the fiasco that was last season......

Buehler445
08-12-2008, 09:39 PM
In NO WAY was our offense at fault for anything during that era.

They did what they had to to win games. Not their fault the defense gave up 24 pts a game.

On top of scoring an assload of points, the "Circus Offense" also dominated Time of Possession.

FAX
08-12-2008, 10:00 PM
On top of scoring an assload of points, the "Circus Offense" also dominated Time of Possession.

A fact that many ignore in the Age Of Herm. What an offense that was. A thing of beauty. The sweeps with Priest were run to absolute perfection and could not be defended. It was rare. It was inspiring. It was art. Should we never win another game, at least I have that memory to console my shattered, weary soul.

FAX

KCrockaholic
08-13-2008, 12:58 AM

hmm, that one must've been when they played in Canada...haha j/p

C-Mac
08-13-2008, 07:16 AM
"Obviously you want to go out there and score a touchdown every time......”

Arena ball......:rolleyes:

ArrowheadHawk
08-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Arena ball......:rolleyes:
Herm must be taking a hands off approach to the offense.

Rooster
08-13-2008, 07:45 AM

LMAO LMAO Bad Fish!!! Bad Bad Fish!!!

Reerun_KC
08-13-2008, 08:19 AM

I am sure it isnt easy to run an offense from underneath Herms bus...

Nice to see Herm get a free pass on the offense, when he goes through OC's like Carl goes through washed out QB's....

Solari sucked, but he had zero guidance to be successful from his HC.

Reerun_KC
08-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Herm must be taking a hands off approach to the offense.

Sadly, thats the only way it can be productive. He has to leave it alone and let the offense develop and gain trust/confidence within themselves...

We cant afford another game like last years INDY game where he shackled/destroyed their confidence.

Gailey can make this offense successful, Just needs Herm to stay the **** away!

Chris Meck
08-13-2008, 08:36 AM
It wasn't art, it was WILLIE FREAKIN ROAF.

Seriously. You have not and will never again see as dominant a lineman as big Willie was. He'd get out there on that sweep, and everyone in the stadium knew it was coming, but he'd stone the DE, and then he'd stone the OLB, and maybe the CB too on his way to the safety.

So much of that offense was not possible without Roaf (and Shields, and Waters, and Wiegmann) and you could see it when Roaf wasn't in there.

That son-of-a-%$#@^ couldn't walk, but he could run like a goddamned deer. I've never seen anything like it, and you haven't either, whether you're aware of it or not.

That offense was entirely dependent on having 300 lb men that could run like that and dominate in space like Both Willies. THAT is what made that offense work. Those guys are exceedingly rare. Many hall of famers couldn't have run that offense.

There was no 'dismantling' done here. Roaf retired, Shields retired, and that's pretty much the end of being able to do those things.

bishop_74
08-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Dick Vermeil, love him or hate him, had a philosophy when he first arrived on the scene in Kansas City. His belief was that in order to be a competitive, well balanced, winning football team you needed to have three things on offense. You first needed a QB, the Chiefs traded for Trent Green from the St. Louis Rams and immediately named him the starter. The second thing needed according to DV was a running back, the Chiefs subsequently signed a no name free agent from the Baltimore Ravens by the name of Priest Holmes. The third (and some would argue the most important of the three) Vermeil believed you needed a pro bowl type left tackle to protect the QB and allow the RB to gain yardage. After all, what good are th first two if they can’t stay on their feet or find any holes to run through? The Cheifs traded the New Orleans Saints a third round draft pick for a perennial pro bowl LT in Willie Roaf.

This should have been a priority before Roaf retired.

CosmicPal
08-13-2008, 09:03 AM
He’s (Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey) put us in position to make plays. That’s his whole thing he wants to get us some one-on-ones. Whether it be (RB) Larry (Johnson) with a safety, or a receiver is one-on-one with a DB. That’s all you can ask for in football. He’s getting us in those positions, we’re getting better at making those plays.”

:clap::clap::clap:

Excellent! The difference between a veteran offensive coordinator and Solari.

When you have play-makers on your team such as TG, Johnson, and Bowe- you need to focus your offense on getting these guys into one-on-one situations where they can win most of the time. That's good for your offense. Gailey knows the O-Line won't win very many battles, but he's devising plays to get his play-makers the advantage.

Solari didn't do that- he tried to fix the line by keeping TG in, keeping a back in to block, etc. Those things limited the play-making ability of an offense which allowed the defense to play 8 men in the box all the time.

I'd like to see what these guys do the next couple of preseason games, but I like what I see and hear already.

chiefsngop
08-13-2008, 09:35 AM
Jacksonville's 3rd down coversion efficiency was 45% last year. They aren't going to score many touchdowns on drives where they have to convert 6 consecutive 3rd down situations. If your offensive scheme requires you to covert six 3rd down schemes to score a TD, that tells me you aren't doing a good job on 1st and 2nd down and you are not going to have a good year on offense.

When you first start the game the opposing defense is fresh.

After you put a couple long drives down their throat they become tired.

Then they have trouble pitching stops on 1st and 2nd downs, to even bring up a 3rd down, because they are worn out from being battered during long drives. (See 2007 KC Chiefs Defense for example)

Yes, coming fresh out of the box the Bears made us convert 6 times on 3rd down, but if we kept long driving their ass, how many times would that D have been able to stop us on 1st and 2nd down come the 3rd quarter ? or 4th quarter ? :hmmm:

On another note:

I can remember playing freshman football in highschool, our offense couldn't wait to get to varsity. Once in varsity our coaches would let the offense check off and audible to take advantage of what the defense was showing. So I guess Solari's offense wasn't even highschool caliber, how ridiculous to have to run right into a 9 man box instead of check off to a one -on - one receiver.

blueballs
08-13-2008, 10:12 AM
Brodie jumped LJ about his blocking
LJ told him he would block for him when Brodie blocked for him
they laugh about it now over bowls of wheaties