PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Mansithe

Bowser
08-13-2008, 02:34 PM
http://www.epicurious.com/articlesguides/blogs/editor/2008/02/absinthe-taste.html

Anybody fans of Absinthe? Anybody fans of Marilyn Manson? Boy, are you in luck! Rage against the wholesome and get freaking stoned/drunk all at once!

Hell, I'm still waiting to try out Sammy Hagar's Cabo Wabo. I hear it's pretty good stuff.

Absinthe Taste Test Part 3: Mansinthe (Marilyn Manson Absinthe)
by Michael Y. Park
on 02/11/08 at 03:59 PM
Yes, this is that Marilyn Manson's absinthe. It's made in Switzerland, but the shock rocker gave the distillers permission to put his name and his artwork on the bottle. (The portrait you see is Manson's rendering of himself as an old man.)

OK, so the guy's got the goods to get women like Rose McGowan, Dita von Teese and Evan Rachel Wood (wait, is that last one even legal?!). But does his absinthe have the stuff to go head to head with top-notch greens?

(For more more details on the background of absinthe, how to prepare it, why it's "suddenly" legal in the U.S., check out my quickie primer. Otherwise, to read the Mansinthe review, continue after the jump.)

But first a little more on how the Mansinthe people describe their product:

"Mansinthe is a natural absinthe, distilled from vermouth, aniseed, fennel and other fine herbs. Naturally, pre-sweetening is avoided and artificial colourings are out of the question for reasons of quality. Oliver Matter characterises Mansinthe as a classic absinthe that absinthe lovers can appreciate, but which primarily appeals to novices.

"There is just ONE Mansinthe—there is NO 'sans wormwood' version!"

Technically speaking, Mansinthe isn't legal yet in the U.S., and I won't go into the details of how we got our hands on some, but the distiller and distributor hope the government will come through with its OK soon.

Mansinthe

Color: 3.4
"Oily"
"Pale, green in color, like the fourth horse of the Apocalypse"
"Color is too light"

Louche: 3.0
"Too milky"
"Light green, with slight orange hue"
"Not as colorful [as other absinthes]. Fewer 'oily' effects. Too cloudy"

Aroma: 2.2
"Very complex scent. It doesn't just smell simple like anise, and the scent changes"
"Smells too strong [like] rubbing alcohol"
"If a smell could speak, this absinthe is saying: 'Do not touch.'"

Flavor: 2.4
"Main flavor is just plain."
"Yuck. Sour + bitter"
"If you don't smell it, the taste is good. A little woodsy, but not too much"
"Holy sh*t, Michael, is this poison?"

Finish: 3.0
"Aftertaste is quite interesting."
"After the venom, what is the finish worth?"

Overall: 2.25
"Serve this slightly chilled at your next holiday party, along with that old, stale Stollen"

Total: 16.25 (out of a possible 30)

Conclusion:
So did Mansinthe have what it takes to be a premium absinthe? According to the tasters, the answer is, sadly, no. The No. 1 problem was the aroma, which some verbally compared to sewage water or swamp mud, but with the exception of a lone taster, the panel felt it wasn't really worth wading through the odor to get to mediocre flavor anyway. Sorry, M.M.

Fairplay
08-13-2008, 02:39 PM
Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

The Franchise
08-13-2008, 02:41 PM
I'm a fan of Manson but Absinthe is ****ing nasty anyways. It's not like I'll be buying this because his name is on the bottle. Absinthe is overrated.

FAX
08-13-2008, 02:45 PM
I've never had Absinthe. What are the effects? Anyone know?

FAX

StcChief
08-13-2008, 02:51 PM

FAX
just go get paint thinner from the garage.

seclark
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM

FAX

i can't remember. does that help?
sec

Demonpenz
08-13-2008, 02:52 PM
you've heard about strawberry how about RAW BARRY

SDChief
08-13-2008, 02:59 PM
I use to drink a lot of Cabo a few years ago and it was great. It has been bought out now, so not sure if it is still as good

FAX
08-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, hmmm. Is it like a depressant? Mescaline? Boones Farm?

FAX

beach tribe
08-13-2008, 03:27 PM

FAX

You get drunk.............that is all.

I've drank TONS of it.

Bowser
08-13-2008, 04:58 PM
I use to drink a lot of Cabo a few years ago and it was great. It has been bought out now, so not sure if it is still as good

I've been told by a couple of buddies that Cabo is one of the smoothest tequillas they've ever had, and I know for a fact one of them is a real tequilla fan.

Too bad. I was considering getting a bottle for a tailgate at some point. You'll have to try the new stuff and report back. :)

Bowser
08-13-2008, 04:59 PM
You get drunk.............that is all.

I've drank TONS of it.

Is that all, or just all you can remember?

Too bad Floridachief flipped out and left. He was hardcore absinthe, iirc.

beavis
08-13-2008, 05:22 PM

That is all. It's properties are severely exaggerated.

It tastes like mouthwash.

The Franchise
08-13-2008, 05:24 PM
It's probably the worst tasting alcohol I've ever had. Everyone says that you'll halucinate after drinking it.......but I'm assuming you would have to drink a SHIT TON of it for it to happen. All I got was drunk.

DaneMcCloud
08-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I've been told by a couple of buddies that Cabo is one of the smoothest tequillas they've ever had, and I know for a fact one of them is a real tequilla fan.

Too bad. I was considering getting a bottle for a tailgate at some point. You'll have to try the new stuff and report back. :)

All that's happened is that Sammy sold 80% of his share of the company to Skyy Spirits of San Francisco (for $80 million!).

The tequila is exactly the same. Sammy just needed worldwide distribution.

CHENZ A!
08-13-2008, 10:15 PM
Absinthe tastes godawful. No halucinations, just real drunk

Posted via Mobile Device

Mr. Flopnuts
08-13-2008, 10:19 PM

That guy was awesome. The picture of the puckered butthole was a shocker. Pun intended. Logical pushed him over the edge. Has Vlad been gone since "the thread"?