PDA

View Full Version : Royals Gretz:Afternoon Practice Update 8/13

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2008, 06:56 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/afternoon-practice-update-813.html#more-1000

Afternoon Practice Update 8/13
August 13, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

Although the Chiefs will practice on Thursday, their workout Wednesday afternoon was their last practice of training camp with full shoulder pads and contact. They turned in a very spirited session. Although the contact is supposed to be minimal, these guys are going so fast right now it’s hard for them to turn down the tempo. At one point in the practice, RB Larry Johnson got upset with DT Tank Tyler for a little extra contact and let him know about it. Tyler just looked at him and smiled. RB Jamaal Charles didn’t like being roughed up on one play, and he ended up throwing the ball at a Chiefs defender. That was mental mistake No. 2 for the rookie, as he would have been penalized on they play.

Mental mistake No. 1 for Charles came when the Chiefs were running the four-minute offense. This is like a reverse two-minute drill. The offense had 3 minutes, 58 seconds to burn off the clock, the ball at their own 19-yard line, a two-point lead and the Chiefs defense had three timeouts to stop the clock. The idea is that if the offense manages the clock right and gets three first downs, there’s no way the other team gets the football back.

On a third down play, Charles caught a short pass from QB Brodie Croyle and picked up a first down, but he then ran out of bounds, stopping the clock. Offensive coordinator Chan Gailey ran almost as fast as Charles did to tell his rookie he needed to stay in bounds. Ultimately, however, the offense was able to kill the clock and keep the ball away from the defense.

Some other plays to remember: Croyle hit TE Tony Gonzalez on a bootleg where he threw a pretty pass on the run … TE J.P. Foschi, who is fighting for a roster spot, completely blew a play where the pass was thrown deep to him by QB Damon Huard, but he never looked for the ball and it fell incomplete … S Bernard Pollard had a big hit on RB Kolby Smith in space … Huard hit WR Dewayne Bowe on a pretty double move down the right sideline for a touchdown over rookie CB Maurice Leggett, who didn’t get deep help from Tyron Brackenridge … Hustling DE Tamba Hali made a tackle on a screen pass to the other side of the field, fighting through numerous attempted blocks.

RT Damion McIntosh (knee) took a rest in this workout. DE Turk McBride (hamstring) did not go and the participation of DE Brian Johnston (hamstring) was limited as well. S Jarrad Page was hampered by a headache and missed some snaps, but it’s not considered anything serious.

DT Glenn Dorsey got his regular ration of 10 to 12 plays. Head coach Herm Edwards said the Chiefs would decide on Saturday whether the No. 1 pick would play against Arizona at Arrowhead Stadium.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2008, 06:57 PM
All the nastiness is a good sign. Those dudes are ready.

And who the **** is Dewayne Bowe?

Tribal Warfare
08-13-2008, 06:58 PM
All the nastiness is a good sign. Those dudes are ready.

It's Krumrie's influence

Mecca
08-13-2008, 07:20 PM
It's Krumrie's influence

I thought his influence was our crappy DL.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2008, 07:26 PM
I thought his influence was our crappy DL.

I am about ready to go apeshit on your ass.

Mecca
08-13-2008, 07:28 PM

What truth hurt?

From his time with Buffalo to here he's uninspiring as a coach, and his favorite guy is Ron Edwards of all people.

I don't care how much he yells as an actual coach he's average at best.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2008, 07:30 PM
Ron Edwards is a second-string DT at the moment.

But continue talking out your ass.

Mecca
08-13-2008, 07:33 PM
He LOVES Ron Edwards there is no denying that....

People who think proper coaching is done by screaming love Krumrie, but his results are nothing to write home about.

milkman
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM

When did Edwards get demoted to 2nd string?

Deberg_1990
08-13-2008, 07:34 PM
. At one point in the practice, RB Larry Johnson got upset with DT Tank Tyler for a little extra contact and let him know about it.

So is there an unwritten rule about how much contact you can have between teammates?

How hard are you supposed to go? Especially if you are trying to win a roster spot.

Hammock Parties
08-13-2008, 07:36 PM
When did Edwards get demoted to 2nd string?

Tank Tyler took his place in practice the other day.

milkman
08-13-2008, 07:42 PM
So is there an unwritten rule about how much contact you can have between teammates?

How hard are you supposed to go? Especially if you are trying to win a roster spot.

That's trrue for every team.

They are trying to minimize injuries.

milkman
08-13-2008, 07:43 PM
Tank Tyler took his place in practice the other day.

Has he taken his place in practice every day?

I know you're not there any longer.
But you can't say he's been promoted without knowing the answer to that question.

Mecca
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
All I know is Krumrie has coached 2 good lineman and they had little to do with him while he has always loved shitholes like Ron Edwards, Tim Anderson, Justin Bannan and so on..

People like him because "he's firey" cause he's always yelling, but so far in 2 places I've seen it produce nothing but hot air.

DeezNutz
08-13-2008, 07:50 PM
Has he taken his place in practice every day?

I know you're not there any longer.
But you can't say he's been promoted without knowing the answer to that question.

I heard on the radio today that Boone's Farm is still taking some reps. with the 1st team, but Turk is taking a larger percentage and looks like the better player. The good news is that McBride seems to be winning the job, not being given anything, at least according to the 810 morning guys, for whatever that's worth.

milkman
08-13-2008, 08:01 PM
I heard on the radio today that Boone's Farm is still taking some reps. with the 1st team, but Turk is taking a larger percentage and looks like the better player. The good news is that McBride seems to be winning the job, not being given anything, at least according to the 810 morning guys, for whatever that's worth.

Well that's nice, except that I was asking about Tank replacing Ron Edwards.

StcChief
08-13-2008, 08:11 PM
Just put the best players on the field.

Deberg_1990
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM
he has always loved shitholes like Ron Edwards, Tim Anderson, Justin Bannan and so on..

Probably because they remind him a little of himself. Unsung low round picks who stuck around and made something of themselves.

BigRock
08-13-2008, 08:15 PM

Gretz said a few days ago that the first team line was Turk, Tank, Dorsey, and Hali, and that we could probably pencil them in as the starters on opening day. He conducted an interview with Gun that same day, so presumably he knew what he was talking about.

DeezNutz
08-13-2008, 08:17 PM

ROFL

Yes, that too. Been the word on the street since Monday.

blueballs
08-13-2008, 08:18 PM
this camp has been as about as exciting
as a Claythan bedpost notching watch

milkman
08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
Gretz said a few days ago that the first team line was Turk, Tank, Dorsey, and Hali, and that we could probably pencil them in as the starters on opening day. He conducted an interview with Gun that same day, so presumably he knew what he was talking about.

So Tank will be playing the UT?

Mama Hip Rockets
08-13-2008, 08:19 PM
what does this have to do with the royals

milkman
08-13-2008, 08:21 PM
what does this have to do with the royals

They share the same complex, and Tony Pena Jr. is a better hitter than Donnie Edwards

Mama Hip Rockets
08-13-2008, 08:22 PM
They share the same complex, and Tony Pena Jr. is a better hitter than Donnie Edwards

i would be willing to bet that donnie edwards is a better hitter in both sports.

milkman
08-13-2008, 08:24 PM
i would be willing to bet that donnie edwards is a better hitter in both sports.

He might hit a baseball better, but I'm betting TPJ wouldn't be a rodeo tackler.

Coach
08-13-2008, 08:27 PM

Go apeshit on your own ass. It's a FACT that our DL suck ass.

Coach
08-13-2008, 08:28 PM

Oh goodie, a 3rd stringer occupying a 2nd stringer position. Super Bowl, here we f**king come!

Gimmie a break, Ron Edwards is NOT a good football player, any way you want to slice it.

RustShack
08-13-2008, 08:31 PM
So Tank will be playing the UT?

I think he that line in reverse order, allthough I wish thats where McBride and Hali were.

Mecca
08-13-2008, 08:56 PM
Oh goodie, a 3rd stringer occupying a 2nd stringer position. Super Bowl, here we f**king come!

Gimmie a break, Ron Edwards is NOT a good football player, any way you want to slice it.

And we're gonna be stuck with him as long as Krumrie is here..him and other scrubs cause they're good at slap fighting.

gblowfish
08-13-2008, 08:59 PM
TW just curious...why is there a Royals icon at the head of this thread listing?

Oops sorry somebody already asked that question.

Play through, move along. Nothing to see here....

dorseybowe
08-13-2008, 09:09 PM
RT Damion McIntosh (knee) took a rest in this workout.

Wow. That's a surprise. :#

B-RICH! Whoo! Whoo! must have been starting. :clap:

el borracho
08-14-2008, 10:55 AM
In good news, looks like Gonzalez might get 90-100 receptions this year. That should be fun to watch.