PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Gretz:Final Camp Practice Update 8/14

Tribal Warfare
08-14-2008, 02:01 PM
http://www.bobgretz.com/chiefs-football/final-camp-practice-update-814.html

Final Camp Practice Update 8/14
August 14, 2008 - Bob Gretz |

From River Falls, Wisconsin

The Chiefs went through a short practice late Thursday morning and wrapped up their on-field work here in the northwoods.

The workout was geared around preparing for Saturday night’s opponent, the Arizona Cardinals. There’s no offensive or defensive game plans so to speak for this game, but the head coach and the coordinators gave their units a chance to see some of the schemes ‘Zona likes to use.

The Chiefs ran 24 plays of team work and a much less intensive pace than they’ve used lately. Some highlights included a nice dump off pass from QB Tyler Thigpen to RB Kolby Smith … both Smith and RB Jackie Battle took direct snaps from center, and the defense is catching on as neither run broke for big yardage … rookie G Edwin Harrison had a false start that drew the ire of offensive coordinator Chan Gailey … KR B.J. Sams has worked in individual drills at WR, but got little work in team action. But he caught a nice pass from QB Damon Huard on a third-and-7 play that moved the sticks. Sams beat CB Tyron Brackenridge … rookie CB Maurice Leggett dropped an interception that was right in his hands on a pass by Huard for WR Jeff Webb … a QB Brodie Croyle pass to WR Dewayne Bowe deep in the end zone was caught by Bowe, but he couldn’t get his feet down. Bowe cried that he was pushed out, but the head coach reminded him that a rules change this year eliminated the force out.

RB Jamaal Charles missed the workout with a bruised shoulder and may not play on Saturday night. S Jon McGraw continued to be absent because of his sore shoulder. Edwards again said that whether or not DT Glenn Dorsey plays against Arizona will depend on how he feels after the team warms up. Even if he does play, it will be in a limited role.

The Chiefs plan to use their quarterbacks in a similar rotation to what went down against Chicago. Edwards said he would like to get Croyle a chance to run the two-minute drill.

Chiefs Pantalones
08-14-2008, 02:13 PM
Hopefully Charles can play. Don't wanna rush Dorsey.

blueballs
08-14-2008, 02:17 PM
will bobgretz.com die with out TC

blueballs
08-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Q&A with HERM EDWARDS - 8/14
Aug 14, 2008, 1:39:52 PM

Q: Can you sum up your camp experience this year?

HERM EDWARDS: “I thought we got a lot accomplished. I complimented the players and the coaches, especially the coaching staff. I thought they did a great job on offense, defense and special teams. And really feeling a little bit of toughness, that’s what you want to find out at training camp with pads on. That’s the missing element when you’re in the spring. When you come here you find out who the physical players are going to be.”

Q: Can you talk about the youth and enthusiasm?

EDWARDS: “Well that’s what’s good about it. With young guys, they never get tired of talking. That generally stirs the competition. You know that in football. It was all good chatter, never anything negative, just having fun. When you work hard and have fun, you get a lot of things accomplished. The attitude here was very good, and now we have to continue to improve.”

Q: Is there any update today on the availability of DT Turk McBride, DT Glenn Dorsey or T Damion McIntosh?

EDWARDS: “Turk will be okay. Glenn will be okay. We’ll figure out in warm-ups if Dorsey can go, and he probably can go but we’ll be selective with him. (RB Jamaal) Charles’ shoulder is hurt and he probably won’t go. S Jon McGraw probably will not go. McIntosh should be fine.”

Q: If Dorsey does go?

EDWARDS: “He’ll be limited. We want to get him in. He’s got two weeks left.”

Q: What is the status of RB Jamaal Charles?

EDWARDS: “He hurt his shoulder. He’s going to be fine, but we’re going to be very careful with him. He kind of fell on it. He’ll be okay, we’ll keep him out, he’s sore.”

Q: How are you going to handle your quarterback rotation this week?

EDWARDS: “Probably like we did last week, to be quite honest with you. Probably do the same thing again. Probably (QB) Brodie (Croyle) will stay in a little later, get him to the second quarter. He just needs to play. If we have a couple drives again, that’s good. We’d like to get him in during two-minute. Both the other quarterbacks have been in for two-minute. I’m hoping we can move the ball again and score some points.”

Q: Is that more likely to happen in the third game, the two-minute test with QB Brodie Croyle?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. But depending on how this thing goes, you never know. But yeah, third game for sure. You’d like to get him in there for that. You can play offense for two minutes, but you can’t script it.”

Q: Do you like River Falls?

EDWARDS: “Yeah. It’s a good place. I was here in the beginning when the fire engines were here and they had a parade for us. No more parades. But they’ve upgraded the place. I think they’ve done a good job, especially this year with the dorms we’re staying in. You know (Chiefs groundskeeper) Andre (Bruce) comes up here and does the field, so the field is good. The fans are very good, they’re always glad to see us. We do what we’ve got to do. We don’t need a parade. It was okay the first year, but after 20 years, 19 years, you don’t need a parade.”

Send this page to a friend!

Micjones
08-14-2008, 05:03 PM
How much more banged up can this team get?

McBride sat today. Now Charles is dinged.
Sheesh...

FAX
08-14-2008, 05:05 PM
What kind of blasphemy is this!!! That does it. I've been skeptical of Hermoine in the past and have had difficulty believing he is, in fact, the draft and player development guru that people claim him to be. Plus, he's demonstrated the remarkable capacity for total and complete dumbassery on game day and can't seem to understand how to put together an offensive line as his trail of broken quarterbacks attests. But this is the last, final, definitive, and inalterable straw.

No parade?

FAX

Chiefs Pantalones
08-14-2008, 05:10 PM
What kind of blasphemy is this!!! That does it. I've been skeptical of Hermoine in the past and have had difficulty believing he is, in fact, the draft and player development guru that people claim him to be. Plus, he's demonstrated the remarkable capacity for total and complete dumbassery on game day and can't seem to understand how to put together an offensive line as his trail of broken quarterbacks attests. But this is the last, final, definitive, and inalterable straw.

No parade?

FAX

IT'S PREPOSTEROUS!!!

Hammock Parties
08-14-2008, 05:13 PM
Sounds like they want Brodie to play a half.

From what I've heard the game this weekend could be as exciting as the first drive was in Chicago. Stay tuned. ;)

FAX
08-14-2008, 05:16 PM
IT'S PREPOSTEROUS!!!

Abominable.

I wish I had a fruit wheat and Hermoine was sitting right here. He'd be damned sorry we didn't have a parade after he was picking a friggin' fruit wheat out of his eye socket.

FAX

Smed1065
08-14-2008, 05:18 PM

No parade?

FAX

He has a fear of clowns............

FAX
08-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Who doesn't? But, that's no excuse.

Still, as a child, had Herm been viciously violated with a trombone, it would explain a lot.

FAX

Chiefs Pantalones
08-14-2008, 05:23 PM
So it's safe to assume Herm has never eaten at McDonalds?

bogey
08-14-2008, 05:25 PM
Who doesn't? But, that's no excuse.

Still, as a child, had Herm been viciously violated with a trombone, it would explain a lot.

FAX

I hear Herm has brass balls.

CupidStunt
08-14-2008, 05:59 PM
Earlier in the week I wanted to see me some Dorsey. The more I think of it, just sit the guy and don't risk it for a worthless preseason game against some scrub Cardinals interior OL.

King_Chief_Fan
08-14-2008, 06:26 PM
ROFLHerm is killing me. Everyone is a little sore and we don't need a parade. He has to be an Einstein.

FAX
08-14-2008, 06:53 PM
I hear Herm has brass balls.

Mystic River Falls. They say that, to this day, Hermoine breaks out in a cold sweat when watching The Music Man.

Hows about 76 trombones, Hermie?

FAX