PDA

View Full Version : Misc If you had to move to a new country.....

RJ
08-14-2008, 08:12 PM
If for some reason you could no longer live in the United States where would you want to go? I've never been there, my first choice would be Portugal. I like the food, wine and the lifestyle based on what I've read -and drank.

Another choice would be Guatemala. From what I know the American dollar goes a long way, the cost of living is low and the women are hot.

We have a family friend who retired in Mexico on the Pacific coast. She lives in a mostly American community and is very happy there. Apparently her money goes a long way and the health care is cheap.

Where would you guys go and why?

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Great question, Mr. RJ. Did Mr. Rain Man provide you with any counsel before you posted this?

Of all the countries in the world, I think I would choose Tonga. They have beautiful beaches and palm trees and the weather is nice and it's not too far from places like New Zealand. I would like to open a little blues club on the beach in Tonga and serve spirits and TexMex. I think it would go over well.

FAX

RibKing67
08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
Germany.
I have a cousin that lives there now and from what I hear from her the schools are good and there are plenty of things to do that would interest me.
As far as that goes it is also the land of my great grandparents.

carlos3652
08-14-2008, 08:17 PM
Switzerland, having been there, its probably the safest place in the world....

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:18 PM
In Germany, the girls wear lots of clothes on account of the weather. In Tonga, they mostly wear bikinis if anything.

Ergo, Tonga beats Germany.

FAX

NewChief
08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
Hard to say:

New Zealand or Queensland, Australia would both be pretty far up there, but the food kind of sucks. Outdoor, active lifestyle is hard to beat there, and I love the Kiwi/Oz people's attitude on life.

The Greek Islands would be pretty nice, as I like the scenery and the food. The culture is also cool, and it feels very, very different from Western society. Language barrier would be a problem, though.

Oaxaca, Mexico would be pretty tempting as well, as the food is the best, culture very cool, and the scenery nice. Dollar would also stretch better than the other two.

Vancouver, BC is awesome for the winter sports, but I'd probably get sick of the cold if I had to live there all winter. Food and interesting culture are also lacking.

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:19 PM
In Switzerland, you are always at risk of falling off a mountain. In Tonga, your biggest concern is sunburn.

Ergo, Tonga is superior to Switzerland.

FAX

Bugeater
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
Iran. Gas is only 25 cents a gallon there.

carlos3652
08-14-2008, 08:25 PM
In Tonga, your more than likely to get eaten by the Natives, and you probably want the Girls to wear more clothes.... ergo, Tonga is a bad choice...

Rain Man
08-14-2008, 08:26 PM
I couldn't go to a beach country like Tonga. I hate tracking sand into the house.

The honest answer is probably Canada. It's basically just the U.S. with a lower sun.

If not Canada, Australia would seem high, though their food is just enough different that it's a little freaky. I actually would probably pick France over Australia, assuming that I could find a job where I could speak English. France is cool.

I'll also throw out an unusual one: Nepal. Most gorgeous country I've ever seen, and you can live there cheap. Just don't burst an appendix or you die.

I was surprised at how similar to America South Africa was. Any of us could live there and not even have to make an adjustment. However, the opinion of a fair number of South Africans was a strong concern that the country is headed on a long downhill journey, which is very sad. Their new president is apparently some tribal loon who is either stupid or completely ignorant of the world. I'm hoping it doesn't slowly slide toward Zimbabwe.

Slayer Diablo
08-14-2008, 08:27 PM
Switzerland, having been there, its probably the safest place in the world....

You're excluding Lucern, right? Don't get me wrong, it's a great city, but I felt a lot safer in Seattle compared to Lucern and Paris.

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Tonga people do not eat people. They eat TexMex. As for the girls, although it is true that some Tonga girls have partaken of a tad too much TexMex, not all have. And the latter are bronze-skinned, raven-haired, dark-eyed Venuses and the stuff of a surfer's dreams. Switzerland girls eat pig intestines.

FAX

Rain Man
08-14-2008, 08:31 PM
You're excluding Lucern, right? Don't get me wrong, it's a great city, but I felt a lot safer in New York compared to Lucern and Paris.

If you ever say that to a New Yorker, they're going to beat the living daylights out of you.

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:32 PM
I have never been to South Africa, although I would very much like to. I've heard, though, that they have a race problem there. In Tonga, there is no race problem. All persons are respected and treated with equal honor and love. And there's TexMex for everybody.

FAX

blueballs
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
thighland

Mr. Flopnuts
08-14-2008, 08:33 PM
Maine.

NewChief
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
I have never been to South Africa, although I would very much like to. I've heard, though, that they have a race problem there. In Tonga, there is no race problem. All persons are respected and treated with equal honor and love. And there's TexMex for everybody.

FAX

Your desire to inflict that watered-down culinary bastard known as TexMex upon the innocent people of Tonga is most distressing Mr. Fax.

carlos3652
08-14-2008, 08:36 PM
You're excluding Lucern, right? Don't get me wrong, it's a great city, but I felt a lot safer in New York compared to Lucern and Paris.

Yes, I was thinking more like Lausanne... and ive been to both of those cities you mention, and I feel alot safer than being in Buenos Aires where I have lived...

RealSNR
08-14-2008, 08:37 PM
England is full of a bunch of bloody prats. Ireland is the same. Australia is full of blowhards, and I'm not living in ****ing New Zealand.

Looks like Canada :banghead:

If I could perfect my German, I'd definitely go to Austria

NewChief
08-14-2008, 08:38 PM
England is full of a bunch of bloody prats. Ireland is the same. Australia is full of blowhards, and I'm not living in ****ing New Zealand.

Looks like Canada :banghead:

If I could perfect my German, I'd definitely go to Austria

I love Australians. Maybe it's because we were visiting my wife's relatives, but I've never laughed so hard, lived life so fully, and been treated with such hospitality as in Australia.

carlos3652
08-14-2008, 08:39 PM
Tonga people do not eat people. They eat TexMex. As for the girls, although it is true that some Tonga girls have partaken of a tad too much TexMex, not all have. And the latter are bronze-skinned, raven-haired, dark-eyed Venuses and the stuff of a surfer's dreams. Switzerland girls eat pig intestines.

FAX

Swiss girls are more than likely to eat real Meat if you know what im saying...

RealSNR
08-14-2008, 08:40 PM
I love Australians. Maybe it's because we were visiting my wife's relatives, but I've never laughed so hard, lived life so fully, and been treated with such hospitality as in Australia.Australia? How about you digeriDON'T

Slayer Diablo
08-14-2008, 08:41 PM
If you ever say that to a New Yorker, they're going to beat the living daylights out of you.

Shit...what was I thinking? Well, apparently not about why someone might not feel safe in New York. I'll change that to Seattle...my trip there felt very safe, too.

NewChief
08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
I take that back about the hospitality:

Coolest hospitality story I have is when my wife and I were on our honeymoon in Jamaica. We were hanging out pool side after dinner at Jake's (http://www.jakeshotel.com/) and were approached by a much older (retirement age) couple who started talking to us. They were down at Jake's having dinner and drinks, but lived in the area. Next thing we know, they invited us to their house for dinner the following evening. The husband came and picked us up in the early afternoon, took us to a bunch of local sights, then to their house. They basically threw a party for us, with a 6 course dinner of local fare. It was one of those very cool experiences that happen when you travel.

dtebbe
08-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Greek islands. I lived in Greece for 2 years and like the food and pretty much know the way things work, and still remember a good bit of the language. The greek isles remind me alot of the florida keys with the laid-back and often simple lifestyle. I could dig it.

DT

Reerun_KC
08-14-2008, 08:44 PM
I am going anywhere Mr Fax is going! How you ask? I will be his personal pilot. Therefore he goes, I go.

NewChief
08-14-2008, 08:45 PM
Greek islands. I lived in Greece for 2 years and like the food and pretty much know the way things work, and still remember a good bit of the language. The greek isles remind me alot of the florida keys with the laid-back and often simple lifestyle. I could dig it.

DT

Ya su and efcharisto was about the extent of my Greek, but I got by for a month backpacking around Crete. It was a very, very cool experience. Went down the Sumerian Gorge area, then hiked along the beaches headed west on the island. I'd hike into a village, pick up food for the day and evening, then hike out and spend the night on a beach. Then hike to the next village the following day. Just me and the shepherds. It was a very cool experience, and I'll always love Greece.

Smed1065
08-14-2008, 08:45 PM

FAX

Spam.

Smed1065
08-14-2008, 08:47 PM
I love Australians. Maybe it's because we were visiting my wife's relatives, but I've never laughed so hard, lived life so fully, and been treated with such hospitality as in Australia.

Love their womens accent to boot.

:evil:

Slayer Diablo
08-14-2008, 08:49 PM
My place of choice would be Muenchen, Germany. Wonderful people, the best beer hall in all the world, great women both before and after drinking, and they use the auf bau principle. SPITZE!

Rain Man
08-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I might think about Saudi Arabia other than the charbroiling heat and the medieval justice system and the annoying calls to prayer and the public floggings and the women wrapped in blankets and the no-pets policy and the religious police who throw people in jail for no reason and probably a bunch of other reasons that I can't recall.

FAX
08-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Your desire to inflict that watered-down culinary bastard known as TexMex upon the innocent people of Tonga is most distressing Mr. Fax.

There's bad TexMex and there's good TexMex, Mr. NewPhin. Then, there's Tonga TexMex - a delectable, delicious, and delightful aliment that can only be described as a form of ambrosial and heavenly Manna whose morsels elevate the spirit, exalt the soul, exhilarate the mood, and enlarge the penis. Plus, it's nutritious too.

FAX

cdcox
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
Whenever I go to a foriegn country I'm always on vacation (or a very light work schedule). So they all seem great to me. Drop me in just about any major European city or any beach side resorty area and I'm gonna be pretty darn happy.

Rain Man
08-14-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm not extroverted enough to be Australian. Australians all tend to be rowdy, backslapping social butterflies who love a good party and like to socialize rambunctiously. I just like to read.

RJ
08-14-2008, 08:54 PM
Great question, Mr. RJ. Did Mr. Rain Man provide you with any counsel before you posted this?

Of all the countries in the world, I think I would choose Tonga. They have beautiful beaches and palm trees and the weather is nice and it's not too far from places like New Zealand. I would like to open a little blues club on the beach in Tonga and serve spirits and TexMex. I think it would go over well.

FAX

While Rain man wasn't a consultant I certainly thought of him before I started the thread. I knew he'd be a guy who could offer firsthand input. The African trip thread is one of the Planet's best ever.

I don't know anything about Tonga other than it has a cool name.....which, frankly, is good enough for me. I would love to have a beer in a bar on a Tongan beach with a warm Tongan breeze blowing across my bald head.

eff the donkeys
08-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Probably Italy. Spent some time in the countryside there and didn't want to leave.

Reaper16
08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
1.) Japan
2.) Spain
3.) England (even if the food culture is meh)

FAX
08-14-2008, 09:01 PM
While Rain man wasn't a consultant I certainly thought of him before I started the thread. I knew he'd be a guy who could offer firsthand input. The African trip thread is one of the Planet's best ever.

I don't know anything about Tonga other than it has a cool name.....which, frankly, is good enough for me. I would love to have a beer in a bar on a Tongan beach with a warm Tongan breeze blowing across my bald head.

Should my dreams come true and I do, in fact, open a blues club on a beach in Tonga, I shall contact you immediately, Mr. RJ, so that we might both enjoy an evening of fine music, beautiful Tonga girls, and TexMex.

FAX

dtebbe
08-14-2008, 09:02 PM
Ya su and efcharisto was about the extent of my Greek, but I got by for a month backpacking around Crete.

You mean you don't remember Malakas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malakas) (usually thrown with a open hand)

You must see the Survival Greek (http://www.youswear.com/index.asp?language=Greek) (NNSFW)

DT

RJ
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Should my dreams come true and I do, in fact, open a blues club on a beach in Tonga, I shall contact you immediately, Mr. RJ, so that we might both enjoy an evening of fine music, beautiful Tonga girls, and TexMex.

FAX

I'm there. Despite my wife's objections. Not that I blame her.

Hammock Parties
08-14-2008, 09:03 PM
Scotland. And I'd buy the ****ing house I grew up in. Hells yeah!

1ChiefsDan
08-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Hard to say:

New Zealand or Queensland, Australia would both be pretty far up there, but the food kind of sucks. Outdoor, active lifestyle is hard to beat there, and I love the Kiwi/Oz people's attitude on life.

The Greek Islands would be pretty nice, as I like the scenery and the food. The culture is also cool, and it feels very, very different from Western society. Language barrier would be a problem, though.

Oaxaca, Mexico would be pretty tempting as well, as the food is the best, culture very cool, and the scenery nice. Dollar would also stretch better than the other two.

Vancouver, BC is awesome for the winter sports, but I'd probably get sick of the cold if I had to live there all winter. Food and interesting culture are also lacking.
You do know that Fayetteville has a colder average winter than Vancouver?

I would have to say Ireland or Germany - great beers and food

FAX
08-14-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm there. Despite my wife's objections. Not that I blame her.

In Tonga, wives don't get angry or upset, Mr. RJ. About anything. Ever. They are always and forever supportive, affectionate, and understanding. For example, in Tonga, wives actually encourage their husbands to demonstrate interest in a van Gogh even though he may already possess a Matisse (if you catch my meaning). It's something in the water.

FAX

DJJasonp
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
It's funny, I was pondering something similar the other day.

I think I would pull a tom cruise (minus the crazy stuff) like in Cocktail, and head to a tropical paradise and become a bartender or something....enjoy the sun, the scenery, etc.

Something a heck of a lot slower paced....but with great weather.

RJ
08-14-2008, 09:11 PM
In Tonga, wives don't get angry or upset, Mr. RJ. About anything. Ever. They are always and forever supportive, affectionate, and understanding. For example, in Tonga, wives actually encourage their husbands to demonstrate interest in a van Gogh even though he may already possess a Matisse (if you catch my meaning). It's something in the water.

FAX

Whoo hooo!!

Portugal can wait.

FAX
08-14-2008, 09:19 PM
In Tonga, they have special "Foreigner Days" dedicated to honoring persons who open blues clubs that serve spirits and TexMex. On Foreigner Day, the natives select 10 of the most beautiful of their daughters whose responsibility it is (in any manner or means necessary) to make the foreigner feel completely welcome in their land. Then, if the foreigner chooses, he may keep 7 of these girls throughout the year until the next Foreigner Day. It is a great honor for a Tonga girl to be selected on Foreigner Day.

FAX

RJ
08-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Whenever I go to a foriegn country I'm always on vacation (or a very light work schedule). So they all seem great to me. Drop me in just about any major European city or any beach side resorty area and I'm gonna be pretty darn happy.

That's the thing. If you're on vacation the country (or state) you're visiting always looks like a great place to live.

cdcox
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
"Tonga, Tonga, Tonga" /John Blutarsky

luv
08-14-2008, 09:25 PM
I've always wanted to visit Ireland. I'm not really sure about living there, though. I'm not a tropical weather type of person, yet I hate icy winters. Maybe Italy? I could definitely live with hearing that accent and eating that food everyday.

Skip Towne
08-14-2008, 09:26 PM
Bolivia or Argentina. they have an overabundance of hot women where even an old guy could get one. GoChiefs still couldn't however.

Rain Man
08-14-2008, 09:31 PM
If I had to rank the countries I've actually visited, I'd probably go with...

United States
United Kingdom (More or less the U.S. with worse teeth)
France (If not for language, easily #2)
Australia (Good option, other than the food and the fact that they hate American accents)
South Africa (Would challenge for #2, but it's a long-term sell)
Germany (Don't know a lot about it, probably fine other than weird language)
Nepal (I would actually consider living here, but might reconsider after a third-world year. I could have servants.)
Madagascar. Relatively pleasant, but a bit rundown. Cheap servants would help a lot.
Hong Kong (China now, I guess.) I don't think I'd want to live here, but I could.
South Korea. I could live here, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Too expensive for servants.
Grenada. Eh.
St. Kitts. Eh.
Netherlands Antilles. Eh.
India. Nice place to visit, but no way would I ever live there.
Egypt. Nice place to visit, but you'd get hassled to death by hawkers and you'd have to have guards.

Dayze
08-14-2008, 09:38 PM
i'd have to say Australia or Tasmania. Vistite Perth/Fremtmantle for 7 days; and Hobart Tasmania; both were amazing.

Perth was the most amazing place; people were so laid back and friendly you were almost apprehensive; thinking they were going to steal your wallet etc.

Beautful weather; scenery; good beer; friendly people. Sounds like a place for me.

FAX
08-14-2008, 09:44 PM
Tonga has the best beer in the world and it is free. In Tonga, they have beer stands all over the place where you can get a free beer and a surfboard and a loaner Tonga girl to carry your surfboard for you. The loaner Tonga girls have little holsters on their bikinis that are used to hold extra beers, too. If you wish, you can have several loaner Tonga girls so you'll have plenty of little bikini holsters and you don't have to return them until the next day or so.

FAX

cdcox
Rankings of countries I've actually visited:

US
Italy - warm, good food, cool culture. I have no idea of the cost of living
United Kingdom - expensive, but otherwise a good choice
Canada - cold and you get paid in Canadian
Slovinia - Kind of like Italy except without the culture and way off the fast track since it had been beaten down by communism for several decades. Actually nothing like Italy except they are close to one another.
Mexico - Cancun is great, but I couldn't afford to live there year 'round. I could probably find a good, cheap place to live, but much of the rest of the country is pretty beat down. Without visiting the good cheap place, I'll rank it near the bottom.
Switzerland - based on my experience the country is nothing but an airport in which everyone is wearing black and there are men with submachine guns everywhere.

Lonewolf Ed
Denmark. It has my favorite beers, good food, beautiful women who ride bikes and stay in shape and more D cups than I see in the States, there are castles, and my favorite pubs in the world are there. If you are ever in Aalborg, go to the Irish House. Say hi to Jerome.

BWillie
08-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Canada or Australia.......by far. I don't think I'd like Britain or Ireland. Why on Earth would you move to a country where they don't speak english as the main language?

Phobia
08-14-2008, 09:48 PM
I would move to Louisiana. I've been a few times and while the culture is strange, the food is unbeatable.

Logical
08-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Lots of choices (main criteria is the primary language should be English) so Australia, New Zealand or England are probably my top 3.

prhom
08-14-2008, 09:52 PM
Europe is overrated but I'd go with Luxembourg. Very rich country and you can drive 4-wheelers in the city. How cool is that? I hate that you have to pay for water and toilet in Europe. Filthy.

FAX
08-14-2008, 09:54 PM
Canada or Australia.......by far. I don't think I'd like Britain or Ireland. Why on Earth would you move to a country where they don't speak english as the main language?

I can live with learning a new language. No problem there. What I don't understand is why someone would want to live in a cold environment, Mr. BWillie007. I suppose if you're skiing or something it would make sense. I mean, at least you're having fun. Otherwise, why not live somewhere where the weather is always about 75 degrees and the beaches are pristine and white and the water is crystal blue and the girls are topless?

FAX

ChiefJustice
08-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Melbourne,Australia

I am actually considering moving there.I'll have to make up my mind pretty quick though.
It turns out that you have to be younger than 46 years old to legally emmigrate and
become a citizen.

My second choice:Ireland

BWillie
08-14-2008, 10:01 PM
I can live with learning a new language. No problem there. What I don't understand is why someone would want to live in a cold environment, Mr. BWillie007. I suppose if you're skiing or something it would make sense. I mean, at least you're having fun. Otherwise, why not live somewhere where the weather is always about 75 degrees and the beaches are pristine and white and the water is crystal blue and the girls are topless?

FAX

Very easy Mr. Fax. I am lazy. And it would take me at least 3 years to be fluent in another language and it would take a shitload of time out of my day. Furthermore, I would never sound natural in that language. Kind of like how arabic, indian, and non-native chinese people can never ever sound fully fluent no matter how smart and how much of the English language they grasp.

I also don't mind the cold. I'd much rather have it be 40 degrees than 90 degrees...but I could definitely dig 70 degrees on a nice beach while looking at women in thongs.

Dayze
08-14-2008, 10:15 PM
Melbourne,Australia

I am actually considering moving there.I'll have to make up my mind pretty quick though.
It turns out that you have to be younger than 46 years old to legally emmigrate and
become a citizen.

:clap:
Never been to Melbourne...but Australia is my kind of place/temp/pace of life etc.

Only live once...do it; live the dream for the rest of us!

FAX
08-15-2008, 12:20 AM
Very easy Mr. Fax. I am lazy. And it would take me at least 3 years to be fluent in another language and it would take a shitload of time out of my day. Furthermore, I would never sound natural in that language. Kind of like how arabic, indian, and non-native chinese people can never ever sound fully fluent no matter how smart and how much of the English language they grasp.

I also don't mind the cold. I'd much rather have it be 40 degrees than 90 degrees...but I could definitely dig 70 degrees on a nice beach while looking at women in thongs.

Well, I can certainly relatetacize to that sentiment, Mr. BWillie007. They way you phrase it, the second language idea isn't quite so appealing. Still, maybe we wouldn't have to learn all the words, you know? Just enough to order a sandwich and a beer, learn the location of the restroom, and find out how old the girl is sitting at the end of the bar and where you can score a bag of halfway decent reefer. When you think of it that way, it isn't so bad.

As for the weather thing, I'm sorry but I still don't get it. Cold weather costs money for lots of clothes, firewood, antifreeze, handy hand warmers, cross country skis, and other stuff. It's time consuming, too. You get stuck in drifts, you're constantly looking for coal chunks and carrots for your snowman, and you have to scrape your windshield every morning assuming your fingers aren't permanently frozen to your ass. Alternatively, warm weather requires little more than a swimsuit, a tshirt, a pair of sneakers, a surfboard, and a cooler. You meet a lot more female personages at the beach as compared to the radiator repair shop and it is common knowledge that no girl ever turned down a frozen margarita on a hot day.

So, after weighing all the good and the bad, calculating the recent increases in frostbite treatment, and constructing a detailed titty graph illustrating the number of interesting females one is likely to encounter at the ocean on a Wednesday afternoon, for me, the ideal life is to own a blues club that serves spirits and TexMex on a beach in Tonga. But never fear. You're welcome to drop by anytime, Mr. BWillie007. If the airport's open, that is.

FAX

08-15-2008, 12:23 AM
might as well go to the other side of the world. New Zealand. Never been and always wanted to go.

JuicesFlowing
08-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Mexico. Xalapa, in the state of Veracruz is a beautiful city with cobblestone streets, mild weather (50-70 degrees year round with fog occasionally), and plenty of great food. However if you take economics out of the equation, I'd prefer England.

Chiefs=Champions
08-15-2008, 12:44 AM
The U.S. Ive never been, but your all such lovely people it cant be that bad... :)

08-15-2008, 12:46 AM
The U.S. Ive never been, but your all such lovely people it cant be that bad... :)

Lets trade. heh:)

JuicesFlowing
08-15-2008, 12:50 AM
Melbourne,Australia

become a citizen.

My second choice:Ireland

I went to Ireland last June. It's the most expensive country in Europe. But the Guinness was to die for. Lovely weather too.

Chiefs=Champions
08-15-2008, 12:53 AM
Lets trade. heh:)

Deal! ;)

FAX
08-15-2008, 01:01 AM

Have you ever visited Tonga, Mr. Chiefs=Good? It's not that far from you.

FAX

BWillie
08-15-2008, 01:04 AM

That is really cool. A straight up Australian Chiefs fan. May I ask how you became a Chiefs fan if you have never been to the US. Is the NFL popular at all in Australia?

Chiefs=Champions
08-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Have you ever visited Tonga, Mr. Chiefs=Good? It's not that far from you.

FAX

Afraid not Mr Fax... Maylasia and Thailand are great though... Yet i do have a mate who is of Tongan heritage and who has been there many a time... Says its a great place to visit... To live not so much...

Chiefs=Champions
08-15-2008, 01:10 AM
That is really cool. A straight up Australian Chiefs fan. May I ask how you became a Chiefs fan if you have never been to the US. Is the NFL popular at all in Australia?

Well I have a relative who lived in Kansas City and so i sort of got to follow them that way... Yet how i started following NFL was mainly through Australian cable that shows a few games a week... As far as popularity... Well me and many of my mates love it and play the sport, yet sadly about 98% of the population wouldnt have a clue as to how its played...

FAX
08-15-2008, 01:14 AM
Afraid not Mr Fax... Maylasia and Thailand are great though... Yet i do have a mate who is of Tongan heritage and who has been there many a time... Says its a great place to visit... To live not so much...

Hmmm. What, I wonder, fostered the "not so much" comment, Mr. Chiefs=Good?

A lot of people who are "from" a place say similar things about the place they're "from". You know ... growing up in a place can negatively affect your view of that place ... if you had bad memories or something, I mean. Like when sharks attacked your village or the typhoon sucked your first love out the window and carried her away into the dark, roiling sky never to be seen or heard from again. Stuff like that. Those things can sponsor a lot of negativity about a person's hometown. Is that a possible reason for his feelings?

FAX

BWillie
08-15-2008, 01:19 AM

A lot of people who are "from" a place say similar things about the place they're "from". You know ... growing up in a place can negatively affect your view of that place ... if you had bad memories or something, I mean. Like when sharks attacked your village or the typhoon sucked your first love out the window and carried her away into the dark, roiling sky never to be seen or heard from again. Stuff like that. Those things can sponsor a lot of negativity about a person's hometown. Is that a possible reason for his feelings?

FAX

For the most part, I think you are correct about some people having negative view of where they grew up. Everybody is always looking for something better, it's just human nature. I've noticed though people that come from Chicago, NYC, or the West Coast absolutely are in love with themselves and where they came from. Most of them will mock the midwest or smaller cities every chance they can get. I really have yet to hear any native Kansas Cityians go....I love it here and I never wish to move. I don't know why. I like Kansas City to be honest with you, and I liked Iowa. They both have unique differences and I'm proud of where I came from. What I don't understand is why people say there is nothing to do in Kansas City. There is nothing to do here compared to WHAT? We don't have beaches year round, that is about it.

Chiefs=Champions
08-15-2008, 01:19 AM

FAX

Well apart from the fact that you hit the nail on the head, as those things all happened to him... Its sort of a dirty place from what ive heard and not a lot to do... Please forgive me as im no sure how old you are, but for us young, active aussis we need a bit of action...:)

Ultra Peanut
08-15-2008, 04:29 AM
The Netherlands.

America Jr. would be fine, also.

Abba-Dabba
08-15-2008, 05:31 AM
The Netherlands would be my first choice. Preferably Noord-Holland. Distant second would be somewhere in the Andalucia region of Spain.

Friendo
08-15-2008, 05:47 AM

FAX

damn-count me in! outside of Tonga, I would say a nice little Greek Island, or Spain.

HMc
08-15-2008, 08:09 AM

ffs. I've been posting here for 3 years - where's my ZOMG an OzzZy chiefs fan?!?!

Clearly need to post more anal vids for cred.

HMc
08-15-2008, 08:17 AM
When I think about this I'm always thinking "what am i gonna do for a living" - i.e I loved sinking piss at 11am on the beach of a Belizean Island but there didn't look to be a great deal of demand for Lawyers around there.

Same for - Mexico, Thailand, Guatamala - your strong (well, strongish, heh) currency is only useful if you're still making it.

I'd probably pick the US - or possibly France.

Simply Red
08-15-2008, 08:42 AM
Girls from Brazil love American men + nice beaches.

Girls from Australia love American men + nice beaches.

Girls from England have `summer-teeth.`

I'd go to Brazil or Australia if I had to select another country to reside in.

kregger
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
Tonga has the best beer in the world and it is free. In Tonga, they have beer stands all over the place where you can get a free beer and a surfboard and a loaner Tonga girl to carry your surfboard for you. The loaner Tonga girls have little holsters on their bikinis that are used to hold extra beers, too. If you wish, you can have several loaner Tonga girls so you'll have plenty of little bikini holsters and you don't have to return them until the next day or so.

FAX
While this sounds very nice Mr. FAX, perhaps you should check out Vanuatu. The arts are very much more alive there and the diving/snorkeling can't compare.
Not sure about the beer but I'm willing to bet the female contingent is nearly as oppressed as the Tongans.

Simply Red
08-15-2008, 08:43 AM
When I think about this I'm always thinking "what am i gonna do for a living" - i.e I loved sinking piss at 11am on the beach of a Belizean Island but there didn't look to be a great deal of demand for Lawyers around there.

Same for - Mexico, Thailand, Guatamala - your strong (well, strongish, heh) currency is only useful if you're still making it.

I'd probably pick the US - or possibly France.

France? YAK!:grr: :D

el borracho
08-15-2008, 09:29 AM
Oh, anywhere Spanish-speaking. Probably Spain if I'm still concerned with making money at the time of the move but anywhere in Central or South America if I'm just checking out of the whole career-minded, build-a-retirement-nest-egg thing. Already I have connections that could get me jobs (not really careers) in probably 4 or 5 different countries. There is a part of me that could easily be satisfied living on a tropical beach teaching English or tending bar or acting as dive-master but there is a part of me that keeps thinking I might live past the age of 60 and need money to retire.

beavis
08-15-2008, 09:33 AM
Hawaii, definately Hawaii...

Rausch
08-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Wouldn't do it...

MOhillbilly
08-15-2008, 09:35 AM
phillipines without a doubt.

El Jefe
08-15-2008, 09:38 AM
Interesting that I just found this thread. At work yesterday I talked with a customer who is moving with his wife and daughter (15 y.o.) from Columbus, Ohio to Moombasa(sp?). A very interesting guy, he looked like a little old Irish man with a long red beard, but his name was Muhamed Dahir born and raised in Chicago all his family lives in Moombasa, his wife is from Somalia and he married her in Ohio. He served 8 years in the Marines, then 17 in the Army, and served for 5 years at the UN embassy in Moombasa, he was a camp supervisor. He served in Vietnam for 2 years, was injured then deployed home, also served in the Gulf war, and was in Somalia to witness the actions later turned into the movie Blackhawk Down. Very interesting man. Anyways he loves Moombasa and said in a resort area, their hourse is a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bath and they pay 400.00 dollars a month, their live in maid is 50 dollars a month, their security which is an actual soldier, but he only patrols as night is 25 dollars a month. He said it's beautiful all year round, food is very cheap, and just a great place too live. He said the main income for their economy is tourists, safari hunts, vacations etc.

Me personally, USA all the way, im never moving out of this country.

Saulbadguy
08-15-2008, 09:41 AM
France, Japan, Canada.

CoMoChief
08-15-2008, 09:56 AM
British Virgin Islands

Been there twice......LOOOOOOVE it there.

Rausch
08-15-2008, 10:04 AM
France, Japan, Canada.

All countries that hate Americans.

Nice list...

Frazod
08-15-2008, 10:11 AM
Spain was wonderful. I could definitely deal with a villa on a craggy inlet on one of the Baeleric Islands.

And if I ever moved there, I'd actually bother to learn Spanish!

El Jefe
08-15-2008, 10:37 AM
France, Japan, Canada.

Terrible list, France and Japan hate us, and Canada doesn't exactly love us either.

El Jefe
08-15-2008, 10:38 AM
All countries that hate Americans.

Nice list...

I should have read the whole topic, your post was even on the same page.

teedubya
08-15-2008, 10:46 AM
One of my best friends bought a home on the beach in Ecuador for less than what I paid for mine in Lees SUmmit. 6 bedrooms, 4 baths, 3 fireplaces... marble all over the place.

And its on the southern west coast of Ecuador, close to Peru.

I think I would move there.... or Tonga.

Frankie
08-15-2008, 10:56 AM
New Zealand has always attracted me. At least to visit, if not to live there. Strangely Australia is not attractive to me.

Frankie
08-15-2008, 11:00 AM
If I had to rank the countries I've actually visited, I'd probably go with...

United States
United Kingdom (More or less the U.S. with worse teeth)
France (If not for language, easily #2)
Australia (Good option, other than the food and the fact that they hate American accents)
South Africa (Would challenge for #2, but it's a long-term sell)
Germany (Don't know a lot about it, probably fine other than weird language)
Nepal (I would actually consider living here, but might reconsider after a third-world year. I could have servants.)
Madagascar. Relatively pleasant, but a bit rundown. Cheap servants would help a lot.
Hong Kong (China now, I guess.) I don't think I'd want to live here, but I could.
South Korea. I could live here, but I wouldn't be thrilled about it. Too expensive for servants.
Grenada. Eh.
St. Kitts. Eh.
Netherlands Antilles. Eh.
India. Nice place to visit, but no way would I ever live there.
Egypt. Nice place to visit, but you'd get hassled to death by hawkers and you'd have to have guards.
Iran, Mr. Rain Man?
;)

Frankie
08-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Spain was wonderful. I could definitely deal with a villa on a craggy inlet on one of the Baeleric Islands.

And if I ever moved there, I'd actually bother to learn Spanish!

Spain is my close #2. Along the Mediterrainian coast.

Frazod
08-15-2008, 11:08 AM
Spain is my close #2. Along the Mediterrainian coast.

Spain was great. Beautiful scenery, friendly people (at least they were 20 years ago). Always my favorite part of Med cruises.

BWillie
08-15-2008, 11:49 AM
Spain was great. Beautiful scenery, friendly people (at least they were 20 years ago). Always my favorite part of Med cruises.

Probably a bad place to live if you are Chinese though.

DaneMcCloud
08-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Italy, Tuscany to be specific.

Probably somewhere between Florence and Siena.

The Franchise
08-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Japan......look at all the warm and inviting tables with holes in them.

FAX
08-15-2008, 01:45 PM
Serious question alert!!!

Aren't there still islands for sale in the Caribbean and places like that? If you could find one that had a fresh water source and maybe some wild chickens and cows and pineapple trees and coconut trees and stuff, that might be the answer. Just start your own country. FAXONIA has a ring to it.

FAX

The Franchise
08-15-2008, 01:51 PM

Aren't there still islands for sale in the Caribbean and places like that? If you could find one that had a fresh water source and maybe some wild chickens and cows and pineapple trees and coconut trees and stuff, that might be the answer. Just start your own country. FAXONIA has a ring to it.

FAX

I was thinking pestilenceaf23land.

You think they'd invite you to the olympics?

Jenson71
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
Italy!

FAX
08-15-2008, 01:55 PM
I was thinking pestilenceaf23land.

You think they'd invite you to the olympics?

Absolutely, Mr. pestilenceaf23. Of course, the main thing is that you have to have before you receive an invitation is an actual population. Then you can have a training program. As founder of FAXONIA, my primary concern and responsibility is to ensure initial significant population growth.

FAX

Fairplay
08-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Absolutely, Mr. pestilenceaf23. Of course, the main thing is that you have to have before you receive an invitation is an actual population. Then you can have a training program. As founder of FAXONIA, my primary concern and responsibility is to ensure initial significant population growth.

FAX

Five girls to every guy would be a good start to your nation, more if possible.

Four day work weeks would be cool.

Hail Faxonia!

kregger
08-15-2008, 02:09 PM

FAX
Sign me up Mr. FAX. I don't really want to deal with whole date/time confusion. An hour here or there is worth the look-see.

RJ
08-15-2008, 02:11 PM

FAX

Why am I suddenly reminded of the Marx Brothers in Duck Soup and the mythical nation of Freedonia?

FAX, I have no doubt that you'll make a fine ruler once you get yourself a populace.

FAX
08-15-2008, 02:13 PM
Five girls to every guy would be a good start to your nation, more if possible.

Four day work weeks would be cool.

Hail Faxonia!

Those are excellent ideas, Mr. Fairplay. I hereby decree that Faxonia shall offer all models, actresses, and beauty queens 1 million dollars apiece to become a PSG (Population Starter Girl). 2 million if they bring their own pineapples.

Also, based on your past contributions to Faxonia and your good ideas and stuff, I shall name you interior secretary, Mr. Fairplay. I must warn you, however, this is not going to be an easy job. Someone has to personally interview all the PSGs to ensure we have good ones.

FAX

BIG_DADDY
08-15-2008, 02:21 PM
I would need to check out more area's. I would definately consider Argentina. Great weather, beautiful people. Mountains and coast.

FAX
08-15-2008, 02:27 PM
Sign me up Mr. FAX. I don't really want to deal with whole date/time confusion. An hour here or there is worth the look-see.

I think I see where you're headed with this, Mr. kregger. Faxonia doesn't really need "time" or a "calendar". In truth, those are outdated concepts. Maybe in Faxonia, we'll have something called "Vuppers". These will be stacks of coconuts approximately 10 feet tall that cast a shadow on the ground. The Vuppers will be surrounded by hundreds of little sea shells and when the shadow reaches a sea shell, this will indicate that it's time for more population growth work. Hail Vuppers!! Hail Faxonia!!!

FAX

Fairplay
08-15-2008, 02:30 PM
Also, based on your past contributions to Faxonia and your good ideas and stuff, I shall name you interior secretary, Mr. Fairplay. I must warn you, however, this is not going to be an easy job. Someone has to personally interview all the PSGs to ensure we have good ones.
FAX

I'm up for the job Faxionia, in more ways then one.
As a recommendation may i add the criteria should be for ages only 18-35.

Shall i call you Emperor Faxiona? President Faxiona? Dictator Faxiona? Czar Faxiona? or other.

I also would call upon the chief statue maker to build a statue of you in the town square. Anyone opposing such idea will receive 20 lashes.

The Franchise
08-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Those are excellent ideas, Mr. Fairplay. I hereby decree that Faxonia shall offer all models, actresses, and beauty queens 1 million dollars apiece to become a PSG (Population Starter Girl). 2 million if they bring their own pineapples.

FAX

I'd like to volunteer to be Faxonia's resident gynecologist.

macdawg
08-15-2008, 05:08 PM
1. Brazil, good beaches, food, surfing, do some jiu jitsu. Only downside is learning Portuguese.

2. England, pretty cool & historic, would be an easy transition

3. Australia, beautiful land & people, easy transition

BigOlChiefsfan
08-15-2008, 06:09 PM
25 years ago I considered this question. Things have changed since then, but some of the considerations are worth repeating.

Safety, health care, English language, taxation, transportation - both within your new home, and the ability to get away if necessary. History of revolutions? History of natural disasters? Wars? Currency becoming worthless?

I settled on Australia, Luxemborg, Belize. Australia is the only one of that list I'd still consider.
Tonga...sorry, prone to tidal waves, and the only Tongans I ever hung out with were prone to sneak attacks on bystanders. Not cool.

Faxonia? I have here in my hand a list of Faxonian collaborators. I believe the citizens of Faxonia yearn to become BigOlChiefsfanlandians. Come the revolution, my REAL friends will all get phoney baloney jobs, and I promise a chicken in every pot. Better yet, we'll put our seeds and stems to good use, there'll be pot in every chicken. That's right.
Icky sticky chicky.

FAX
08-15-2008, 06:20 PM
Watch your step there, Mr. BigOlChiefsfan.

Faxonia reserves the right to, if deemed necessary, declare war on BigOlChiefsfanlandia.

FAX

BigOlChiefsfan
08-15-2008, 06:24 PM
We'll just undermine you from within. We're sending all our Raiderfans your way. YOU try to get 'em off welfare.

BigOlChiefsfan
08-15-2008, 06:34 PM
Mr Fax, we should probably declare war on each other, so the US Gubmint will come around and offer us a lot of money to sign a nonagression pact. We could join the UN and demand big bribes from the Dictator's club to vote against the Benign Imperialists.

I think we have found the motherlode. Between all the bribes and the icky sticky chicky, we're on to something good here.

RJ
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
BOCF and FAX, as the respective leaders of your sovereign nations you may be interested in knowing that here in RJakistan our primary exports are marijuana, beer, holster bikinis, prophylactics and, of course, potatoes. Hey, you gotta eat, right?

Considering Faxonia's economy being dependent on tourism and BigOlChiefsFanLand's economy being dependent on government, perhaps we might enter into an arrangement that would benefit RJakistan's export needs while meeting the hedonistic requirements of your societies. We'd love to do some bidness.

My people might not love me, but they're damn hard workers.

Rain Man
08-15-2008, 07:30 PM
One important factor that has been neglected in this discussion is pet policies. Do we know which countries allow pets?

unothadeal
08-15-2008, 07:36 PM
I'd stay in Canada.

cdcox
08-15-2008, 07:40 PM
One important factor that has been neglected in this discussion is pet policies. Do we know which countries allow pets?

Seedycoxstansia affectionately welcomes all pets.

el borracho
08-15-2008, 07:41 PM

I'm sure there is a spot for your kitties in Thailand

right next to the rice!

RJ
08-15-2008, 07:45 PM

In RJakistan we do allow pets up to the age that they can be eaten. RJakistanians enjoy good barbecue.

el borracho
08-15-2008, 07:48 PM
BBQ in RJakistan? Odd, I would have thought that RJakistan would have been known for its green chile.

RJ
08-15-2008, 07:52 PM
BBQ in RJakistan? Odd, I would have thought that RJakistan would have been known for its green chile.

We have both. No better place to roast green chile - as well as cats - than over the grill. The aroma will drive you crazy!

el borracho
08-15-2008, 07:55 PM
I'll have a gatito burrito with green, please.

Rain Man
08-15-2008, 07:56 PM
What about deposits? I would never move to the Central African Republic because I hear they require first and last month's rent.

RJ
08-15-2008, 08:20 PM
I'll have a gatito burrito with green, please.

With potatoes and cheese?

BigOlChiefsfan
08-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Yes, I think BigOlChiefsfanlandia can do bidness with RJakistan. We want to import marijuana, beer and potatoes. Another national motto will be "This bud, this Bud, and this spud's for you!"

We will export Che tee shirts and handmade bongs to college campuses of all nations. Without regard to degree declarations, creed, race, religion or color. And we will export weapons. We will recycle old James Bond supervillain technology (we're so green!)

"Do you expect me to talk, Goldfinger?"
"No, I expect you to DIE, Mr. Bond"

Here at BigOlChiefsfanlandia we don't expect you to die. Unless you don't buy! So bring your end-user certificate and come on down today to BigOlChiefsfanlandia's House of Villainy. Free goldpainted concubine with every superweapon purchase!

PunkinDrublic
08-16-2008, 10:27 AM
Ireland, England or Australia so I wouldn't have to learn a new language.

I would have to give Costa Rica strong consideration. I went there for a week in June and the place is amazing. Very safe for a Latin American country plus the women are smoking hot. The beaches and national parks are beautiful. There's these hotsprings up in the northern part of the country that are heated by a volcano.

There's also a large ex-pat community down there as well but the locals are cool as hell and very friendly.

Cards Fan 4 Chiefs
08-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Brazil. The only reason why I would leave this country is because the Feds are after me. And Brazil doesn't extradite criminals like mePBJ

RJ
08-16-2008, 11:56 AM
Ireland, England or Australia so I wouldn't have to learn a new language.

I would have to give Costa Rica strong consideration. I went there for a week in June and the place is amazing. Very safe for a Latin American country plus the women are smoking hot. The beaches and national parks are beautiful. There's these hotsprings up in the northern part of the country that are heated by a volcano.

There's also a large ex-pat community down there as well but the locals are cool as hell and very friendly.

Cost Rica, that's what I meant when I said Guatemala in the starter, I'm mixing up my Central American nations. I have a friend who goes fishing there once a year. Between his pictures and stories and then the real estate prices Costa Rica sounds like a great place to live.

Fairplay
08-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Visit the Island nation of Faxonia!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/081508_sunset_jon_boat_wed.jpg

Where plentiful, bountiful and beautiful women await you.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/Women-5.jpg

Many stores to choose from for your every need at Faxonia.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/store_Fazonian.jpg

Lots of touristy things to see.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay
/tourtraps_Fax.jpg

See the great Faxonia god that sees the future for you for a mere 50 dollars.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/hailgod_fax.jpg

Then come to the Tiki hut, where girls'o plenty await to fulfill every fantasy.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/lot_of_girls.jpg

And women wear next to nothing and prance around, all the time.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v30/fairplay/2767156420_9b228f7417.jpg